Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,241 members, 7,807,819 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? (12296 Views)

Why Muslims Hasten To Bury The Dead? / Shocking Reason Why Muslims Don't Condemn Terrorism / True Muslims don't celebrate birthdays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by folami86: 12:01am On May 23, 2009
Is it cultural or not part of your religion (Please provide Quo'ran verse or valid hadith)
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by babs787(m): 9:51pm On May 23, 2009
OP, will you provide biblical verses as to why its celebrated?
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by todak(m): 2:38am On May 26, 2009
Bas why did you learn to use answer to answer questions thats very unlikely of you. well, it is in the bible , and i will give it to you when you fully answer that question, i am also interested. so hurry

1 Like

Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by BOMANY: 7:11pm On May 26, 2009
Who said Muslims do not celebrate? The Prophet (Prayer and Peace from God Upon him) celebrated his birthday by fasting. Of course the Prophet (PPGUH) celebrated as a prophet but what matters here is that he celebrated his birthday (PPGUH)

Actually muslims are directed by the Prophet himself to celebrate and rejoice but in a compatible way with God's Teachings and Directions.

One does not need to disobey God to be happy

The point that real Muslims reject in birthday celebration the sinful and shameless way that some others may commit during the birthday celebration.

There is nothing wrong with a celebration for joy and sharing the good memories with whom may concern. However it is hard nowadays to find a birthday celebration without drinking alcohol and many other prohibited manners. This is what Islam rejects.
Then someone will come with such false allegations just because Muslims do not agree with their own type of celebrations.
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 8:13pm On May 26, 2009
folami86:

Is it cultural or not part of your religion (Please provide Quo'ran verse or valid hadith)

Are you telling me that all that street closing Owanbe with correct Yoruba music I saw in Lagos was all done by Christians?
Since when did Christians start bearing names like Falimat and Rashidat?
They celebrate birthdays O jare.
Maybe the Hausa ones don't but I can assure you nothing is coming between a Yoruba Muslim and his Owanbe for his 40th,50th and 70th birthday.
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 8:14pm On May 26, 2009
babs787:

OP, will you provide biblical verses as to why its celebrated?

So you don't celebrate birthdays? shocked shocked shocked
are you sure you're not from Kafanchan,you this man
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by babs787(m): 8:18pm On May 26, 2009
@Osisi

So you don't celebrate birthdays?
are you sure you're not from Kafanchan,you this man

When you are ready for discussion, let me know so that we would discuss. My post you quoted goes for OP and the question goes a long way to find out the stand of that in your bible.

Yeye Nne grin grin
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by MrCrackles(m): 8:20pm On May 26, 2009
I celebrate my birthday not in a loud fashion though!
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by Pepeye(f): 8:29pm On May 26, 2009
MrCrackles:

I celebrate my birthday not in a loud fashion though!

You shouldn’t even do that . . low key or low profile one’s are now prohibited tongue grin
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by jaybee3(m): 8:32pm On May 26, 2009
another meaningless thread
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 9:26pm On May 26, 2009
babs787:

@Osisi

When you are ready for discussion, let me know so that we would discuss. My post you quoted goes for OP and the question goes a long way to find out the stand of that in your bible.

Yeye Nne grin grin

stand of what in the Bible?
birthdays?
una get problems
what's next?
ask me if the Bible says I can eat Isiewu and drink Schweppes grin
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by MrCrackles(m): 9:54pm On May 26, 2009
Pepeye:

You shouldn’t even do that . . low key or low profile one’s are now prohibited tongue grin

Who cares, afterall it is my buffday! tongue
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by todak(m): 4:40am On May 27, 2009
Babs, this is very unlikely of you, why did you just debunk it and wait for the answer from the corrupt bible, it is a shame o,
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by Lagosboy: 8:26am On May 27, 2009
BOMANY:

Who said Muslims do not celebrate? The Prophet (Prayer and Peace from God Upon him) celebrated his birthday by fasting. Of course the Prophet (PPGUH) celebrated as a prophet but what matters here is that he celebrated his birthday (PPGUH)

Actually muslims are directed by the Prophet himself to celebrate and rejoice but in a compatible way with God's Teachings and Directions.

One does not need to disobey God to be happy

The point that real Muslims reject in birthday celebration the sinful and shameless way that some others may commit during the birthday celebration.

There is nothing wrong with a celebration for joy and sharing the good memories with whom may concern. However it is hard nowadays to find a birthday celebration without drinking alcohol and many other prohibited manners. This is what Islam rejects.
Then someone will come with such false allegations just because Muslims do not agree with their own type of celebrations.

The poster was spot on. I will go further in saying muslims do acknowledge(not neccessary celeberating) their birthdays and they could show gratitiude to God in any permissible way. The prophet (AS) fasted on mondays as he was born on that day as a sign of gratitutude. I do fast on my birthdays as well and i thank God for sparing my lives and i also acknowledge that i am a year closer to my grave as well as a year older on earth. Muslims could also prepare some food and feed the poor, spend in charity and so on in showing gratitutude.

Throwing of extravagant parites is uneccessary, however friends and families could join you in graifying your lord for his mercies of the many previous years and u could have a walima of some sort.

Wallahu a'lam.
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by mukina2: 12:17pm On May 27, 2009
Muslims celebrate birthdays, i think its only the Ahmadis who do not . .but are those muslims anyway tongue undecided
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by todak(m): 10:40pm On May 27, 2009
hmmmmmmmmmm i have learnt today oooooooo, so islam is not one afterall as they claim, if mukina of all people could down grade such a sect in islam, then, ko so ro mo ooooooo.
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by mukina2: 4:00pm On May 29, 2009
whats ur own

Islam is one. Faith is belief in Allah and the messengers,The angels and the final day and the holy scriptures, it didnt say worship another human being.

The Ahmadis have someone they call a reformer
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 5:16pm On May 29, 2009
I don't even regard Ahmadis as muslims.
Islamic scholars have unanimously pronounced them Kuffar, and the Rasul(SAW) said ulamahs/scholars would not be unanimous on an issue except it is the truth.
That being said, I acknowledge birthdays, pray, thank God, etc. don't turn it into a party or feast.
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by babs787(m): 5:56pm On May 29, 2009
@Todak

Babs, this is very unlikely of you, why did you just debunk it and wait for the answer from the corrupt bible, it is a shame o,

Thank you for noticing that. I sensed that this thread is intended to generate into your usual rhetoric hence my replying that way. Muslims know the stand of Birthday in Islam but noticed that you christian follow civilization when it concerns certain things hence my asking for the stand of that in your bible.

Muslims have responded, so what is christians' stand on that with biblical verses?

Thank you, Sir Todak cheesy
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by todak(m): 10:01pm On May 29, 2009
Thank you for noticing that. I sensed that this thread is intended to generate into your usual rhetoric hence my replying that way. Muslims know the stand of Birthday in Islam but noticed that you christian follow civilization when it concerns certain things hence my asking for the stand of that in your bible.

Babs, thanks for that, i notice that you are not only cool now, but you are now abit respectful and modest. hope to continue like this.

Muslims have responded, so what is christians' stand on that with biblical verses?

well, if my question was completely answerd i would have answered too. but what is yet to be answerd is the quranic backup or reference, not hadith. thanks

@ Mukina
whats ur own Huh Huh

Well, my own is to know more about the truth, not falsehood

Islam is one. Faith is belief in Allah and the messengers,The angels and the final day and the holy scriptures, it didnt say worship another human being.

And are you sure Ahmadias do not believe in all you have just said?

The Ahmadis have someone they call a reformer

And does this disqualify them as muslims?

@fellis

I don't even regard Ahmadis as muslims.
And may i ask why?

Islamic scholars have unanimously pronounced them Kuffar, and the Rasul(SAW) said ulamahs/scholars would not be unanimous on an issue except it is the truth.

But they believe in muhammad as the messenger of allah, after all that is the bases of islam? or any other reasons behind their disqualification?

1 Like

Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 4:42am On May 30, 2009
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by Tudor3(m): 7:50am On May 30, 2009
Islam is ONE indeed. . . . .
Tell that to the suicide bombing shittes and sunnis in iraq. . .
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by olabowale(m): 6:47pm On May 30, 2009
@Todak: The Quran specified two festivals for us: Id Fitr, the end of the fasting Month. And Id Adha, the day after Arafat. Read about them in Baqarah, Surah Hajj,etc.

The birthday of Muhammad (as) was on a Monday in the year of the defeat of the Elephant mounted army of Abraha, fom Yemen. Throughout the life of Muhammad, before his prophethood and during his prophethood, there was no birthday celebration for him. Notice that i only quoted a day of the week and a year, but no date of the month and no month either as I presented an indication of his birth.

Incidentally, Islamic calender started after Islam was already 13 years old in Makka, and at the beginning of the migration to Madina. Finally, Allah says in the Quran that believers should obey Allah and His Messenger (AS). He our Lord, also states in addition that whatever Muhammad gives you take, and whatever he forbids you, son't do it. Further Allah states that Muhammad delivered the message to mankind, in full by surah Nasr where one is to expect the large crowd convertion into Islam and expect forgiveness when asked from Allah by those who are true in their belief, not additing anything to Allah in worship.

When you read the Quran from the face of it, and you don't have to have engage in personal interpretation before you see that it is clear that there is no birthday celebrations. Finally, it is the ahadith and sunnah that make the verses of Quran very clear. They agree with each other. Unlike other books and methodology where the book says this and in another part says completely opposite, with saying that it abrogated the earlier statement and then the action of the people is completely different, still.

You cant be a god and still have to beg another God. If that happens, then you are not a God. And those who believe that you are a God must be gullible. Completely wrong. We call those people "disbelievers." The lack good faith in God, hence they have another god with Him!
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by mukina2: 11:15pm On May 30, 2009
Tùdor:

Islam is ONE indeed. . . . .
Tell that to the suicide bombing shittes and sunnis in iraq. . .
I have told you once and i am telling you again for the last time, if you cannot stick to the topic at hand then do not post, i wont warn you again.
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 11:42pm On May 30, 2009
mukina2:

I have told you once and i am telling you again for the last time, if you cannot stick to the topic at hand then do not post, i wont warn you again.

terrorist threat?
the thing dey una for DNA?
even you?
na so power dey shak you?
there's nothing I won't hear
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by mukina2: 12:27am On May 31, 2009
You wont goad me. go find someone else to do that to. i am not interested wink
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 12:52am On May 31, 2009
kiss kiss
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by olabowale(m): 11:24am On May 31, 2009
You are the MD. You should know about DNA. Why ask lay persons? Answer it if you know.
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by babs787(m): 2:30pm On May 31, 2009
Osisi no go kill me with laughter with her post. Power dey shak Mukina for where?
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by folami86: 6:19am On Jun 09, 2009
at babs787

Here are the bible verses on birthday. Can you answer the original question?

Now on the third day it turned out to be Phar´aoh’s birthday, and he proceeded to make a feast for all his servants and to lift up the head of the chief of the cupbearers and the head of the chief of the bakers in the midst of his servants. Genesis 40:20

But a convenient day came along when Herod spread an evening meal on his birthday for his top-ranking men and the military commanders and the foremost ones of Galilee. Mark 6:21

at Olabowale and Mukina2

According to the teaching of Prophet Muhammad, Muslims should not adopt practices, rituals, customs etc. Would you say birthdays fall into this category? Also, I thought the Prophe(saw)t never did.
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 11:16pm On Jun 09, 2009
the Muslims on this site are not serious enough
They throw birthdays like no man business and dance makossa sef.
Olabowale himself is a party animal,don't mind all that bia bia and talisman grin
Re: Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? by blkmum700: 4:30pm On Jun 10, 2009
@folami86
am very suprised you mention pha'ros ,was he man of God,we need name of prophets that celebrate birthday in the bible.

@osis
you are the only serious person on here,kindly give me verse where birthday is celebrate by your prophests?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Kind of Spouse Every Muslim Should Seek For / 87 Non-Muslims Convert To Islam In Akure, Ondo State / Four Keys To Success

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.