Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names (9569 Views)

Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? / 7 Nigerians Who Were Pioneers In Their Area / Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by nene1: 2:20am On May 23, 2009
I have been reading some posts on nairaland and they have mentioned some mixed race nigerians/africans abroad who cannot pronounce their own surname. what kind of nonsense is that? is this true? have any of you ever heard of anyone who can't pronouce their own name no matter how long it is? At least if you don't marry someone from your culture, you can at least teach your children the basic things in your culture such as knowing how to say their own frikin name!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by chiogo(f): 8:25pm On May 24, 2009
I know Nigerians born here by both Nigerian parents who can't pronounce their names.

Even their parents join them in pronouncing their names wrong. it's so funny!! cheesy tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by nene1: 9:56pm On May 24, 2009
chiogo:

I know Nigerians born here by both Nigerian parents who can't pronounce their names.

Even their parents join them in pronouncing their names wrong. it's so funny!! cheesy tongue

wow really?
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by chiogo(f): 10:16pm On May 24, 2009
Yup, I mean it's kinda acceptable from the kids as they can't speak igbo so one would expect some difficulty but their parents who lived in Nigeria for a significant amount of years to get carried away like that is laughable.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by sleekp1: 1:00pm On May 26, 2009
This reminds me of a friend who always leave a message on my answer phone to say Kay-yode called. His name as far s I know is Kayode. You couldn't make it up hahaha Lol ! ! !

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by TayoUK(m): 1:28pm On May 26, 2009
I don’t really think there’s anything funny about any parent not able to pronounce their own surname properly. Any child should be thought and encouraged on how to pronounce those names no matter how difficult or which part of the world they live.

A friend have to change his child school here in London because his child is been bullied at school for not able to pronounce her own surname, if you happened to be in my friend’s shoes, you will know that there’s nothing funny about this. Even there are more English/Scottish/Irish names out there that are more difficult to pronounce than any Ibo or Yoruba names but their kids manage to pronounce them very well and we are forced to pronounce them very well too.

I once failed an interview for not able to pronounce the name of an interviewer correctly, (Ewan is the name I couldn’t pronounce properly) and next time I found myself in the same situation, I asked a taxi driver before I get to the interview.

We should take pride in our names and surnames. This is my opinion though and I strongly believed that mother-tongue should be preserved.

This is very interesting topic and I hope everyone contributes.
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by maxtop(m): 2:06pm On May 26, 2009
na today, a begi e don tey jare. grin
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by oge4real(f): 2:33pm On May 26, 2009
I really cant imagine this.
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by solosimple(m): 2:47pm On May 26, 2009
This reminds me of a friend who always leave a message on my answer phone to say Kay-yode called. His name as far s I know is Kayode. You couldn't make it up hahaha Lol ! ! !
Some guys can actually pronounce their names but they are just trying to put up a front of a yankee sort of guy or chick. It is common with naija dudes who just return from foreign nations (London, USA etc) . I keep wondering what for? Superiority complex or Inferiority complex? I begi, If your name is Agunlegika, Pronounce it well, answer it well, and be proud you are Agunlegika and not Yvouvidiskiyon.
I'm out of here!
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by dammybee(f): 3:22pm On May 26, 2009
@solosimple, It is Agunlejika not Agunlegika.

Wake up and dont spoil my name I beg.
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by solosimple(m): 3:57pm On May 26, 2009
@dammybee
Your name abi, grin grin grin
I too gbadun the name!
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Nobody: 4:14pm On May 26, 2009
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 26, 2009
we once had a girl who helped us with stuffs
First day i saw her, she introduced herself as Gi-raaay-si
and i bumped on an book she wrote her name on as "gras"

i cudnt correct her cos she got too much ego.
and i dont "pass my boundary"
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by SubMacGun(m): 7:47pm On May 26, 2009
falade = Faraday

them turn me into scientist

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by ferdela: 8:24pm On May 26, 2009
It's a serious thing my people, that one cannot pronouce his or her name, i mean the first thing any parent should teach he or child is how to pronounce their names even though it sounds like this "AYEBAGBALIEKEWAPIRI" It's your name and u should be proud of it. I know of a guy whose name is chikezie and he calls himself chikizi, cos that's what his yankee friends calls him. It's our culture our pride and who we are if we loose it then we loose our direction. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Theblessed(f): 8:45pm On May 26, 2009
Well, you are not alone in thinking so.  A Uni friend of mine was called Ade for short. However,  at the Uni, the English lecturers/students decided it was Adie( pronounced like Adi) and she refused to accept anything else from us except Adie.  Now, you can see what lack of confidence can do to someone's self esteem and culture - a big psychological DAMAGE.

I am sure, she would raise her own children with same attitude too.  Pity for those with this psychological problems, they need help to find who they really, are.
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by trhymes(m): 9:13pm On May 26, 2009
Its true, pronouncing some names could become[b] a 9-5 job, very difficult.[/b]
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Pittbaby(f): 10:04pm On May 26, 2009
deleted
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by spoilt(f): 12:01am On May 27, 2009
So many Nigerians over here try to upgrade their names. Adeneye become Adeney, funmi becomes fumi, Mayowa becomes mayor (even for naija that one common! grin) . Wetin! conveniently leaving some vowels and consonants out of your name will not make them like you more. After all I bend over backwards to say Montgomery, McManaman, Gwyneth and Rasputia ! grin
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Builder: 12:39am On May 27, 2009
Agunlejika, which kind ugly name be that grin
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Outstrip(f): 12:54am On May 27, 2009
I even know Nigerians that respelled their name after they moved to the states because it was just easier for people to understand. He a name has a "gb" sound but you throw out the "g" then you have changed the whole name. Gbenga is not Benga and Nneka is not Neka. The pronounciation I can almost understand but changing the spelling, to me is ridiculous. Keep in mind that not only africans do this though. Alot of Polish people change the spelling of their names too
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by jiddah: 12:58am On May 27, 2009
really! some nigerians in nigeria cant even pronounce nigerian names well, much less those who claim they were bred in the diaspora, look at our newscasters who dont take the pains to pronounce nigerian names correctly,as it's suppose to be pronounced, then we expect oyinbos to do it well, e.g am sure nigerian football fans can pronounce Jose Mourinho the way its suppose to be with the J as an H but they wont bother if the V in Ivdobore is silent, we are all guilty oh!
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by sosisi(f): 1:02am On May 27, 2009
who hasn't softened the prononciation of their names,cast the first throw.
If your name is Chukwuemeka (Emeka),if you like don't answer Mikky grin
If your parents named you Omobolanle,if you like stick to that 5 syllabus name and don't find some smaller version of the name grin
no be you go crumble under the weight of those sentences some of our parents gave us
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Outstrip(f): 1:51am On May 27, 2009
LOL no be only sentences. My last name(both maiden and married name) have the "kh" sound in it and also "mh". I am not changing the spelling for anybody
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by shesi(m): 5:23am On May 27, 2009
personally i don't see anything wrong with saying your name in a way that is easier for the people where you are to say it too. why not. I say my surname differently than when i'm home. us africans are not the only ones who have to do this in the west. I wouldn't change the spelling though. .

what annoys me is those who use the 'westernized' version back at home. what kinda nonsense is that. like one time in ghana, where i'm from, i was standing behind this girl in a bank queue, and she kept on saying her name in a westernized version. the teller couldn't spell the name due to this, and this stupid girl kept on saying her name (which happens to be a fairly common name ) and giving the teller dumb looks like 'why can't you spell this', i was sooo pissed. and this girl was no first generation american- or euro- anything. trust me, she was born and bred in ghana. i could tell by her cracked heels. lol.

with the kids born abroad, don't be too hard on the parents. sometimes these kids just have no interest at all if you try teaching them their mother tongue. they look at you with that face, the "omg, like, wat is he talking about!" face, lol, those of you with kids here know what im talking about.

also, in the world of children, anything that is even slightly different is recipe for teasing and bullying. so even when the kids know how to say their name correctly, they will deliberately not say it ever.
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by bluespice(f): 7:30am On May 27, 2009
shesi:

personally i don't see anything wrong with saying your name in a way that is easier for the people where you are to say it too. why not. I say my surname differently than when i'm home. us africans are not the only ones who have to do this in the west. I wouldn't change the spelling though. .

what annoys me is those who use the 'westernized' version back at home. what kinda nonsense is that. like one time in ghana, where i'm from, i was standing behind this girl in a bank queue, and she kept on saying her name in a westernized version. the teller couldn't spell the name due to this, and this stupid girl kept on saying her name (which happens to be a fairly common name ) and giving the teller dumb looks like 'why can't you spell this', i was sooo pissed. and this girl was no first generation american- or euro- anything. trust me, she was born and bred in ghana. i[b] could tell by her cracked heels. lol. [/b]
with the kids born abroad, don't be too hard on the parents. sometimes these kids just have no interest at all if you try teaching them their mother tongue. they look at you with that face, the "omg, like, wat is he talking about!" face, lol, those of you with kids here know what im talking about.

also, in the world of children, anything that is even slightly different is recipe for teasing and bullying. so even when the kids know how to say their name correctly, they will deliberately not say it ever.
dead!!!

lol i go for the shorter version of my name everyehere when even the nigerians cant pronounce my full name
i find it sweet tho when my non-nigerian friends make efforst to call me by my sub-full name
think of it who here uses the real full name
those names be long as sentences for real tongue
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by C2H5OH(f): 7:37am On May 27, 2009
grin grin
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by kshow1(m): 11:21am On May 27, 2009
Its common here in the UK, the way foreigners pronounce ur name can be annoying but alas you take it like that.
But the issue of your child equally not pronouncing it well is my bif.
why should we throw our mother tongue away.

I BEG THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME.
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Iranoladun(f): 12:36pm On May 27, 2009
Home or abroad, you are who you are. Your name is part of your identity; it define who you are and sometimes how you want to be seen/perceived.

If you choose to ignore it when people mis-pronounce or mis-spell your name then you will be stucked with that identity. I remember back in the university when some classmates tried to 'funkinized' my first name in a shorter version, I protested vehemently and they stop and learn how to pronounce my name correctly. A Yoruba name without the correct spelling and pronunciation will adopt a different meaning entirely.

@Builder Agunlejika is a beautiful name; it means someone with a straight shoulder i.e. a handsome boy/man. I think it is an Ijesha name.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by bolseas(f): 1:08pm On May 27, 2009
i tot it means A-we
gun-long
lejika-on shoulders

"we long on shoulders"
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by FBS: 1:32pm On May 27, 2009
oh really? then they should be flogged. grin
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by oyinda3(f): 1:56pm On May 27, 2009
I haven't met anyone who couldn't pronounce his/her own name unless they're modifying it on purpose to make it easier for others. lol. trust me it can be a pain in the ass to have to repeat your name to people 100x a day grin

I have never met any non-yoruba who pronounced my name right talk less of oyinbo ppl. It's like they tied my name to a tree and went crazy firing at my name with all the weapons and might they have. gosh grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Investigating Divorce Cases In Yorubaland. / Igbo Men And Their Mama / Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.