Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,099 members, 7,807,297 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? (19666 Views)

Married Folks: What Changed After You Married Your Spouse? / Are You Married And Facing Challenges? Would You Like To Share To Help Others? / Do You Really Love The Person You Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by naijaboiy: 6:40pm On Nov 23, 2015
MrsChima:

Awwww damn! I am in love! kiss
Lol...me too wink

1 Like

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by ProudOlodo: 6:45pm On Nov 23, 2015
bukatyne:
What is the rationale behind a lady changing the name of a property she bought before marriage to her husband's name?

Honestly, I find it hard to understand why that is necessary. Only a man having issues with his self esteem will demand such
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by ProudOlodo: 7:12pm On Nov 23, 2015
peeparty:

The man might not really have any selfish desire or evil plans proberly..

I guess if my asking her to do that becomes my selfish desire, Then make she no put eye for my own Tins oo.

No partner needs make such greedy and selfish demands. That is why there are gifts. If a wife or husband wants to buy the other partner a property as gift, that's fine. But what is theirs is theirs because that is how they want it.
What kind of husband will seek greedy access to his wife's property and what wife will greedily want access to her husband's property? If that's anyone's priority in their marriage as to d level of demanding it, then they're not worth it
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by erico2k2(m): 7:28pm On Nov 23, 2015
iriskiki:
In actuality a woman is not REQUIRED to change her name. But it is the norm to do so. Which is not bad. All this property nonsense and the unpredictability of marriage makes using maiden names sometimes an unfortunate thing women must do.

Can U practice what you just preached??even the people who I trounced legality in marriage changed their names and adopt their husband's name.ie the English??
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by MRBrownJ: 7:56pm On Nov 23, 2015
amokeme:
it's his father's wealth innit? So there is really nothing wrong with it.

He has legal rights to "HIS"(point of correction) father's wealth. Not MY FAMILY, because he isn't part of the family to the best of my knowledge wink

well if you were to die before your husband, then technically the family wealth therefore goes to your husband, and subsequently that child would have just as much claim on the FAMILY wealth as any of your other kids.

btw, that child IS part of the family, dont get it twisted, lol.

babygirlfl:

You are right. Partners should not hide anything from their spouses. However, you will be surprised to know that some women actually think it's one of their many secret to having a happy home. They say what you don't know won't kill you.

we cant really sit here and debate what clueless (and desperate for phoney happiness) women out there believe is right, in their deluded mind, do we?
the notion that "what you dont know wont kill you" is a very silly notion, because any smart person knows that EVENTUALLY everything comes to light.

1 Like

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 23, 2015
BIGkoboko:

But if he dies you would want to inherit his own.

Ermm yes, just like if she dies, he inherits her property?
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by tolfyn(f): 8:39pm On Nov 23, 2015
peeparty:

The man might not really have any selfish desire or evil plans proberly..

I guess if my asking her to do that becomes my selfish desire, Then make she no put eye for my own Tins oo.
For a man to insist on changing of property name to his is ridiculous. He shd let the woman do woteva she deems right to her property. If she has child or children for the man she may decide to change it to her children's name and not her husband. Men are wicked. He may do and undo after changing the name to his. Its the same as a husband revealing his will to his wife.... That's his end.

1 Like

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Nobody: 4:48am On Nov 24, 2015
Margauxluv:
No
No
No

Nt even to impress him.

He s my husband nt my CEO

End time. Mentality *some one's language*
Margauxluv:
No
No
No

Nt even to impress him.

Margauxluv:
No
No
No

Nt even to impress him.

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by iriskiki(f): 8:39am On Nov 24, 2015
My dear, I did not suggest that women should not change their names. Please read my comments again. I only shared what I had read as the facts of name change. I also explained that I changed my name. That does not mean that whoever decides not to is doing anything wrong legally. I only shared knowledge. A little information never killed anyone.

Back to the matter, does that now mean because of marriage all your previously acquired assets should be changed to bear your marital name?

erico2k2:

Can U practice what you just preached??even the people who I trounced legality in marriage changed their names and adopt their husband's name.ie the English??
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Margauxluv(f): 9:57am On Nov 24, 2015
grami:

Pervert.
End time end timer
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by queenfav(f): 11:36am On Nov 24, 2015
Whether he insists or not,I can't make that costly mistake.I don mad?Its good to love a man o,but always use your head.In case he starts misbehaving,you would have something that is solely yours to fall back on.Even when you purchase a property or build a house jointly,let the documents carry your individual full names to avoid stories that touch.

1 Like

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Askseek(f): 3:26pm On Nov 24, 2015
omogidi234:
I really don't think the man should force her to do so. With time she could do so. However, the truth is whether she changes the name or not, if you are married under the Marriage Act in Nigeria, the Marriage presupposes that whatever a Spouse holds in his/her name is held in trust for the other Spouse. You can only escape this if you are married under Customary Law.

How many likes can I give you. It is amazing that many people believe that by keeping property or money in your maiden name it prevents your spouse from having access to it. Not unless you have a prenup or contract to that effect.
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Askseek(f): 3:27pm On Nov 24, 2015
amokeme:
I won't agree to the word "lying" smiley cause it is not
Let's say she has malaria( cheesy) now, she didn't tell him about it because he did not ask.. she goes to the hospital for treatment, and act as tho she never had malaria, will you regard that as lying as well?

Yes ma'am it's lying however way you present it
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by NwaNimo1(m): 4:53pm On Nov 24, 2015
freshcvvs:

But by marriage, his name would likely get on the docs except she chooses not to update the ownership docs.

What ownership docs? The only thing the woman needs to change is her sir name on the docs. She doesn't need to add his details there unless she wants too. But it can't be by force and quite frankly it would be stupid of her to do so.

With assets of her own the husband will respect her - if she transfers the assets to her husbands name she'll be abused.

1 Like

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by freshcvvs: 5:10pm On Nov 24, 2015
NwaNimo1:

What ownership docs? The only thing the woman needs to change is her sir name on the docs. She doesn't need to add his details there unless she wants too. But it can't be by force and quite frankly it would be stupid of her to do so.

With assets of her own the husband will respect her - if she transfers the assets to her husbands name she'll be abused.

The surname she would change it to would be of whom? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by NwaNimo1(m): 5:37pm On Nov 24, 2015
freshcvvs:

The surname she would change it to would be of whom? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Do you not have common sense - her first name and sir name are unique to her. If she changes it to the name Mrs A Smith, Mr B Smith can't lay claim to it as its in his wife's name!

1 Like

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by freshcvvs: 5:44pm On Nov 24, 2015
NwaNimo1:

Do you not have common sense - her first name and sir name are unique to her. If she changes it to the name Mrs A Smith, Mr B Smith can't lay claim to it as its in his wife's name!

You are still not getting it. (This is Nigeria we're talking about o)

I guess the "sir name" you're talking about here is her Maiden name right which mostly gets lost once you're married unless in special cases?

Her name was Tayo Obi before marriage

After marriage, she starts bearing Tayo Musa.

If she wants to change the docs, what would the names be? grin grin grin
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Ugosample(m): 9:11pm On Dec 23, 2018
peeparty:
Ladies can you change the name of a property,you bought from your savings worth millions of naira to his name?

Really easy to do I guess.

If I were a woman; id rather not....

instead, we would have joint ownership of ALL properties

Having it in one name only is not a good idea in Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Male Babies Suck Breast More Than Female Babies, WHY? / Man Calls Out An Eko FM Staff Who Wants To Make His Sister A Second Wife / Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.