Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:38 PM

There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner (1724 Views)

Igbos Abandoned Philip Effiong Who Died A Biafra Rebel, Ojukwu Rewarded - Ekefre / I’m Still Lagos Police Commissioner, Owoseni Says / Edo Police Commissioner, Adeoye Sacked For Secretly Meeting With The Igbinedions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by LoveMachine(m): 3:00pm On Nov 23, 2015
There will never be a Biafra - Aghanya, retired police commissioner
There will never be a Biafra

Considering the security situation in the North-East, where soldiers are still battling insurgency; what is your view on the current agitation for a Republic of Biafra by some Igbo people?

Nnamdi Kanu and Ralph Uwazurike, who are now agitating for Biafra, were born in the 1980s. I was a boy of about 15 years during the war. I didn’t go to war, but when federal troops entered Port-Harcourt, I trekked for about 35 kilometres from Port-Harcourt to Igita. We were running like the refugees you now see in the North-East.

They would shell some places and we would take cover. All of us would fall into gutters and other dangerous places. People were abandoning their children. Nobody wants that type of thing again. Uwazurike, Kanu and his sister don’t know anything about Biafra, and they have not read any book written on Biafra. If they had read books on Biafra, they would have known why the agitation failed and whether it can rise again. They would know whether the circumstances prevailing now were the same thing then. They are quite different. If these boys talking of Biafra had read Achuzie’s book, they would ask why Nnamdi Azikiwe (Zik of Africa), at a particular stage, ran back to Nigeria. It was Zik who took Ojukwu to get the recognition of Tanzania, Ivory Coast and other countries for Biafra. Why did he (Zik) go back to Nigeria and declare to the whole world that there was no genocide in Biafra?
It is instructive that the late Biafran warlord, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu joined the National Party of Nigeria (NPN) and told the whole world that his mission was to reintegrate the Igbo into the mainstream of Nigerian politics.
So who is telling Kanu and Uwazurike and the rest of them that there is still something called Biafra? Ojukwu even contested to be the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. This means that before he died, Ojukwu submitted himself to the authorities of the Nigerian government. It means that Biafra is dead and buried.
Now, let us look at why Kanu is talking of Biafra. On one hand, he said he wanted to liberate the oppressed people that are bound genetically and culturally by the same value system. He started mentioning Idoma people, Igbo people, the Efik, Anang, Ijaw, Itsekiri, Urhobo, Igala and so on. The Idoma have nothing to do with the Igbo. These people he is mentioning can never join the South-East to agitate for Biafra. He cannot go to Warri and tell them that they are Igbo. I remember that when the Igbo were making noise during the elections, Edwin Clark told them that Jonathan did not need their votes to win presidential election. And he will be disappointed to believe what Asari Dokubo is saying. Dokubo should be talking about resource control, not Biafra. Recall that the people of South-South respect the late freedom fighter, Isaac Adaka Boro, a lot because he never wanted to have anything to do with the Igbo.
Unfortunately, I don’t know why the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) is breeding all these militants. Isaac Adaka Boro dropped out from the UNN, Kanu is also a UNN dropout. I heard that Kanu went to London because of strike in Nigeria. He is a university dropout.
Kanu agreed that the Igbo have shops all over Nigeria, and they are making profits and are wealthy; so how can he say they are oppressed? As far as I am concerned it is the Igbo that are oppressing other people all over Nigeria. They are everywhere trading, including Maiduguri.
You see, the Igbo are no longer what they were before the 1966 coup. They were humble, meek and mild, but had the courage of a lion. The claim that the Igbo are being oppressed is not true. I served in the Nigeria Police Force for 35 years and nobody oppressed me. My wife is doing business in Makurdi and nobody is oppressing her. Igbo people are buying plots of land all over the country. If you go to Enugu today, no Hausa or Yoruba man has been allocated any plot of land. It is the same in Anambra and other eastern states. But in the North, lands are allocated to the Igbo. So no Igbo man should be talking of oppression. They should be humble wherever they are. They should be meek and mild but have the courage of a lion so that one day, the Igbo man will contest election in Sokoto, Maiduguri and so and win. That is what we want.

What actually led to the initial proclamation of Biafra?
The late Chinua Achede said there was a country called Biafra. Before the 1966 civil war, the Igbo were dominant in all aspects of life in Nigeria: trade, education, military, police etc. In the army, we had the highest number of high- ranking officers. In the police, we had the highest.
The 1966 coup was not in the interest of Nigerians. As a result of that coup majority of the present crop of politicians are not working in the interest of Nigerians, unlike Ahmadu Bello, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Michael Okpara, Obafemi Awolowo etc. The 1966 coup caused a lot of problems in this country. From what Major Gen. Ejoh, who was in charge of the military barracks in Enugu said, the only Igbo man, Col. Unduegbe, who was killed in that coup, was in charge of the armoury. And he was killed because he refused to surrender the keys to the armoury.
Later, there was a dialogue between Yakubu Gowon and Ojukwu. They went to Aburi for peace talks, but it failed. Then, Gowon decided to create 12 states, and by so doing, changed the country from regional structure. The minorities in the South - the Anang, Ibibio, Ijaw etc - were happy about the state creation because they believed the Igbo of the South-East were oppressing them. That was why Isaac Adaka Boro started rebellion in Niger-Delta. He believed the Igbo were oppressing them. They were not in support of Biafra. And they are still not in support of Biafra.
After the war, Gowon brought reconciliation, reconstruction and rehabilitation. And I can tell you that all these were achieved because if you go to the South- East now you will not see any trace of war. There are beautiful houses in villages and everywhere.

What is the way forward?
The Igbo should seek to be accepted as indigenes of wherever they are. That was what I told the then Governor Akume when I was posted to Benue as commissioner of police. I told him I was an indigene of Benue State and a native of Anambra. So, I will fight for my right in Benue, as well as Anambra State. Our people go to America to give birth to children, and those children are regarded as American citizens and they have equal rights. So let every Igbo man fight for his right anywhere he is as a taxpaying citizen of Nigeria. Fight for your right if it is trampled on. You can go to court and pursue the case.
After the civil war, abandoned properties were declared in Rivers State. They took away properties belonging to Igbo people. Up till now, if you go to Creek Road, Bonny and so on, there are houses occupied by the Ijaw and others, which do not belong to them. They are not paying rent to anybody. Those houses belong to Igbo people. My father got his own back because he ran away with his documents. Somebody wanted to take one of his properties, but we are now in court with that man. There were abandoned properties in Rivers, Cross River and other places after the war, but there were no abandoned properties in the North.[b] In the North, permanent secretaries were in charge of abandoned properties. You only had to come with documents to prove that the property is your own. Apart from that, the moment a native identified you as the owner or son of the owner of the property, they would give it to you. [/b]I served meritoriously for 35 years in the Nigeria Police Force and I know how I protected the rights of the Igbo and those of other citizens. We will not allow Kanu to cause confusion again in Igbo land.
During their rally, they have no right to block public highways. Is that how to look for Biafra? Is that how the Scottish are looking for a country? Is that how Catalonians are looking for a country in Spain? He just brought miscreants to cause trouble. The security agencies should expose their sponsors. The Minister of Defence has said that their action is treasonable.

As a security expert, what is your advice to the governors of the southeastern states and security agencies there?

They said they would come in full force in December. I want to advise the governors of the southeastern states to nip the situation in the bud. That is what I did in Okene., Kogi State. I brought peace in Okene when I was there. The governors of southeastern states should not be talking of who will vote for them in the next election. They should ban processions on Biafra. Anyone who wants to talk about Biafra should write articles and publish. They can also hire a hotel where they can sing about Biafra and dance if they want, but they should not come to the highway. These people closed markets in Aba, Onitsha, Enugu, and they are now abusing all prominent Igbo people and threatening their lives. That is why people are not speaking up. They are afraid because when you talk against Biafra, they would threaten to kill you. But people like us are not afraid to say our minds.
Governors of the eastern region should be very careful because in December, there will be terrible crisis in the South-East. Do you know that Uwazurike prevented the Igbo from being counted during the population census? He told them that they were not Nigerians; hence they should not come out to be counted. Do you know that Uwazurike and co prevented Igbo people from getting Permanent Voter’s Cards (PVCs)? That is why you saw that the total votes in Igbo land were not more than the total votes in a small hamlet in the North. They didn’t register.
What I am saying is that security agencies should brace up now because problem is coming in the South-East. I believe that this problem is being engineered by corrupt Igbo people who are afraid that President Buhari would come after them. They want to create confusion to divert attention.

The commissioners of police in those states should not chicken out. I did not chicken out in Kogi State when Okene people were making trouble. I used only half a unit and brought Okene people down. Let them fight for Biafra inside their rooms. Let them go to Uwazurike’s village and Kanu’s autonomous father’s kingdom. Look at the beads the man and his wife are wearing. And they said they are fighting for people’s rights. I know the cost of the beads. Look at Kanu’s sister’s hair. She’s not natural. That hair is Brazilian or Indian. And they said they are fighting for the rights of people. These people are just there to make money, and they want to bring problem. If they go violent in their protest and kill anybody from another tribe, there could be reprisal attacks and that will definitely affect Igbo people in different states across the country. At the end of the day we will lose.
The Igbo should understand that they have all the opportunities in Nigeria. They make money all over the country and nobody stops them. Those of us who are anti-Biafra will resist them.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/there-will-never-be-a-biafra-aghanya-retired-police-commissioner/120617.html

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by jane0000(f): 3:02pm On Nov 23, 2015
Good

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 23, 2015
a fool who can not stand for something will surely die for anything.

7 Likes

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by mymadam(m): 3:07pm On Nov 23, 2015
Thank you sir. Tell them, please tell them... BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by superstar1(m): 3:09pm On Nov 23, 2015
Mr Aghanya must be a yoruba.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by Iykopee(m): 3:20pm On Nov 23, 2015
I stopped reading his bunch of gibberish when he said plot of land was given to the igbos in the north... Obviously, igbos were neva given free land anywhere in Nigeria. therefore, it is not out of place to say the old man has reached the twilight of his earthly career. Besides, this is 2015. U cant blackmail anybody with intrigues of 1967, we have past that era. Old man shud start asking himself when next he wud receive his pension alawee not biafran issues.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by trailblaiza(m): 3:28pm On Nov 23, 2015
cheesy
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by McCarlito(m): 3:30pm On Nov 23, 2015
He who has ears let him/her hear.... Very wise words from an elder...

2 Likes

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by McCarlito(m): 3:33pm On Nov 23, 2015
Iykopee:
I stopped reading his bunch of gibberish when he said plot of land was given to the igbos in the north... Obviously, igbos were neva given free land anywhere in Nigeria. therefore, it is not out of place to say the old man has reached the twilight of his earthly career. Besides, this is 2015. U cant blackmail anybody with intrigues of 1967, we have past that era. Old man shud start asking himself when next he wud receive his pension alawee not biafran issues.
What do u know about constitutional laws My friend go and look for a chair and sit down..
U cant blackmail anybody with intrigues of 1967, we have past that era. Old man shud start asking himself when next he wud receive his pension alawee not biafran issues.
And during the era of 1967 there was no laws and regulations governing the people then
Lemme educate u on constitutional laws and regulations... At anytime a case is read at the court of law for a punishable offence; the laws that existed during the time of perpetration of the offence can be applied if it happened before the constitution amendment was done...

3 Likes

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by Brooklynsouth(f): 3:37pm On Nov 23, 2015
Well I can understand this idiot he want political post and his share of the 2billion naira too late fool well nairaland does not have up to 1 percent of the igbos I ll advice you to come out any day there is rally and say this if you really wanna make your stupid wife a widow and your children father before I forget police man brought other to okene you are joke you came there yourself or were you issuing orders from the office what about the 20 naira your boys were collecting on the road ozu come and stop us stupid silly old fool

6 Likes

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by Iykopee(m): 3:48pm On Nov 23, 2015
McCarlito:

What do u know about constitutional laws My friend go and look for a chair and sit down..

And during the era of 1967 there was no laws and regulations governing the people then
Lemme educate u on constitutional laws and regulations... At anytime a case is read at the court of law for a punishable offence; the laws that existed during the time of perpetration of the offence can be applied if it happened before the constitution amendment was done...

I didnt ask for ur opinion on stupid laws. Go and manage ur ramshackled self and let biafrans be. How's dat difficult to understand? Must everybody die with u in ur hell hole?

1 Like

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by McCarlito(m): 3:51pm On Nov 23, 2015
Iykopee:
I didnt ask for ur opinion on stupid laws. Go and manage ur ramshackled self and let biafrans be. How's dat difficult to understand? Must everybody die with u in ur hell hole?
Its obvious u're set for destruction.... but don't drag any innocent person down with u....

3 Likes

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by Xpaz: 3:51pm On Nov 23, 2015
A mere mortal man have spoken. now let's hear from God
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by obailala(m): 4:00pm On Nov 23, 2015
Obviously, only the young, hungry and/or confused ones are in support of this IPOB madness.... I am yet to see any respectable Igbo man or woman that's in support of these misguided ones and their ill-thought agitations.

3 Likes

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by Iykopee(m): 4:06pm On Nov 23, 2015
McCarlito:

Its obvious u're set for destruction.... but don't drag any innocent person down with u....

Ur shit country destroyed not just biafrans but her citizens from all nooks. Biafrans are being smarter to want out cos ur country is riddled with hopelessness. Keep living in self denial and stick like a gecko in a dying nation.
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by LilSmith55(m): 4:20pm On Nov 23, 2015
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by McCarlito(m): 6:30pm On Nov 23, 2015
Iykopee:
Ur shit country destroyed not just biafrans but her citizens from all nooks. Biafrans are being smarter to want out cos ur country is riddled with hopelessness. Keep living in self denial and stick like a gecko in a dying nation.
I'm proudly a Nigerian and I don't give a damn what u think and believe... keep living in denial of ur country.. What have u done in the development of the nation rather than staging e-war against those trying to change the nation
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by kingzizzy: 6:37pm On Nov 23, 2015
Nonsense interview of a man who is not in touch with reality. There is no going back on Biafra, not now or ever.

2 Likes

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by Iykopee(m): 7:30pm On Nov 23, 2015
McCarlito:

I'm proudly a Nigerian and I don't give a damn what u think and believe... keep living in denial of ur country.. What have u done in the development of the nation rather than staging e-war against those trying to change the nation

Untill they point @ one thing they have done for their citizens odawise i'm not gonna help in any form....
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by BabaNath(m): 8:14pm On Nov 23, 2015
I've never seen or heard from anyone who witnessed the war, come in defense of Nnamdi kanu
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by LoveMachine(m): 8:18pm On Nov 23, 2015
BabaNath:
I've never seen or heard from anyone who witnessed the war, come in defense of Nnamdi kanu

You won't.
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by McCarlito(m): 8:32pm On Nov 23, 2015
Iykopee:
Untill they point @ one thing they have done for their citizens odawise i'm not gonna help in any form....
Little wonder u are recklessly pointing fingers.....
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by focus7: 9:37pm On Nov 23, 2015
Igbos are disgruntled people.
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by badnature: 10:10pm On Nov 23, 2015
the man is stupid,so land is now allocated in Nigeria'since WHEN?is it from selling agbo that a yoruba man will get money to buy land in south east? or is it from the suya that awusa man is selling that he will get money to buy land in south east? south easterner that are buying over Yoruba land that makes oil soup people to hide their hatred under the notion of"yebo pipu no de respet dia hos" some time one is tempted to sin against the holy spirit by asking GOD WHY did he bothered creating black people if he knows that some parts of their brains will pre-disposed them to stupidity.some baboons and monkeys think that Biafra is an ibo thing! but the don't know that Biafra is a Nation while igbo is just a tribe in it.long period of distortion of his by both britain and Nigeria make many people not to know their history but we doo! because we're leaned.when you go through the treaties that the British merchant sign in Biafra Land in the 18 centuries,it was mainly with the ijow and itchekiri tribal chiefs,not even with the ibos! to tell you that ijow and itchekiri are even more Biafrans than the ibos.but today some of the BABOONS AND MONKEYS that there stupidity is of unrivalled dimension to the extent that the are about to become chimpanzee and gorillas will like us to believe that Biafra is about igbo and biafra land is limited to 5 south east state.one of the notable trade treaty between the Nation of Biafra and the British merchants is the one that itchekiri chiefs sign in JUNE 24 1827 if any of you baboons and monkeys don't know you're history, you go and take issue with your parents not us because we know our history.and we are not here to educate demented baboons

1 Like

Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by porshuch: 10:31pm On Nov 23, 2015
Chukwu gozie gi nwoke oma.

iPOB IS DEAD
NNAMDI WILL CELEBRATE HIS CHRISTMAS INSIDE DSS CELL. grin grin
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by Phame: 10:52pm On Nov 23, 2015
aguiyi:
a fool who can not stand for something will surely die for anything.

the policeman stand for something real and that's 'NIGERIA' . You can't stand for an imaginary nation(biafra) and claim you are standing for something.
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by wiseguy(m): 10:54pm On Nov 23, 2015
This is what I keep saying. The same Rivers people that we claim are our brothers seized our properties and declared them abandoned while the so called abokis let us have all our properties back. Go to the whole of town, G.R.A and D-line in PH all the houses there belonged to the Igbo but was confiscated by our so called brothers in Rivers State. The same people refer to every Igbo in Rivers State as a non-indigene. Instead I will be in the same Biafra with Mba mmiri people, may it never see the light of the day. Chukwu Okike (I don't know about Abiama) will not allow it. Mba! Not with these people. They can drink their oil for all I care.
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by Mckennedy: 11:04pm On Nov 23, 2015
McCarlito:

Did I hear you say "change" when patrol is sold at 200 Naira? abeg no go there....
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by McCarlito(m): 9:25am On Nov 24, 2015
Mckennedy:
Did I hear you say "change" when patrol is sold at 200 Naira? abeg no go there....
It is PETROL and not "patrol" as u said earlier.. Before u can individually start pointing accusing fingers at those trying to stabilize the nation what have u done to bring about change even in ur own little community...
Being a leader is not an easy task no matter how small the people u are leading are; what Nigeria needs now is everyone working together to bring about the change we all clamoured for rather than sit and point fingers..
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by chosen04(f): 9:47am On Nov 24, 2015
BabaNath:
Keeep deceiving yourself. Have you not seen the pictures of the Biafran veterans that even handed the flag of the continution of the struggle to Kanu? Didnt they fight the war and still support the struggle till date? I have NEVER seen any veteran that is against Biafran restoration. The only adults that are against the struggle as led by Kanu are the those that didnt fight during the war.
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by Mckennedy: 12:06pm On Nov 24, 2015
McCarlito:

It is PETROL and not "patrol" as u said earlier.. Before u can individually start pointing accusing fingers at those trying to stabilize the nation what have u done to bring about change even in ur own little community...
Being a leader is not an easy task no matter how small the people u are leading are; what Nigeria needs now is everyone working together to bring about the change we all clamoured for rather than sit and point fingers..
did I hear you say change we clamoured for? I didn't clamoured for any change in as much as believing a man without certificate to deliver! lolz Gej was clueless understood here we are with a pure dumbass.
Re: There Will Never Be A Biafra - Aghanya, Retired Police Commissioner by Mckennedy: 11:44am On Nov 25, 2015
McCarlito:

you're funny...

(1) (Reply)

Caption These Photos Of Gov Okowa & His Wife Kneeling Down Before Primate Boji / Crisis Looms In APC Over Boards’ Appointments / Akwa Ibom State Governor Udom Emmanuel Storms Eagles Assembly [Photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.