Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,890 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? (37818 Views)

4 Secret Ways To Survive In Lagos With A Small Salary / 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries / 5 Things You Need To Survive In The Real World As A Nigerian Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by ciwi: 10:04pm On Dec 07, 2015
dabriggs:

I no handsome ooo. I no great at all sef. I ''wor-wor'' and as a mater of fact, I am so ugly ladies hate me and babies cry upon sighting my face. But thanks all the same.

SAIPEM, well yes. While they are majorly into engineering and construction they also do other stuff both onshore and offshore. There has been some shake up in the company with a bid to get more involved in more oil and gas activities and contracts. It is almost as if the company is re-branding itself and wants to be more of a major player in the servicing industry.

I know a couple of their drill ships. On the OPL 245 Project (when it was still live, before it was frozen) Sapiem10, 000 drill ship was to be brought in to drill some wells. SEDCO EXPRESS and WEST POLARIS Semi Sub Drilling Rig and Drill ship respectively, were drilling on the field. I remember vividly going through the Sedco Express en-route to the MERLIN. My presence was so critical to Merlin's operations, I was transferred with the Zodiac FRC. grin grin grin grin grin. It was not very safe but it was thrilling. I cannot recall the details now, but I think there was a need to speed up field development and another drill ship was to be contracted. Many were considered and Saipem10,000 was favored because it could drill in ultra deep waters. Besides it is a very advanced drill ship and of course it belonged to Saipem which is a sister company to NAE who is the operator of the OPL245 Block. They are fully into drilling services as well.

The Total's Egina Field development (which they are still going ahead with despite the fall in oil prices ) has SAIPEM Playing a great role therein. They are handling EPCI of flow lines, pipelines etc. Of course Egina is considered deep offshore and Saipem is making its mark in shallow and deep offshore environments.

And oh yes. Call it frivolous, worldly, shallow or call it anything. I LIKE THEIR COVERALLS. Why, well I just think it is cute. Also I like the European styled coveralls.

Funny enough the company has huge potentials. Some areas of its activities are not even felt in Nigeria as they are in Europe.

Dabriggs, u seem to know a lot about this industry. Please help a sister. I'm a banker but I don tire for bank and marketing. Used to be in CSU tho. I just need relevant experience in this industry and don't mind earning less than my current pay.

I studied Economics and Statistics and currently chasing a professional certification in accounting. Biko is there any way u can help?

Would really appreciate
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by ciwi: 10:09pm On Dec 07, 2015
whiteroses:
Can someone answer mine pls! I already posted earlier, i am a young business woman , am i better off saving and working for myself when i return to Nigeria or embark on a career in oil & gas as i said earlier i have a msc in oil & gas mgt please advice a sister.

I think you can do both.

Business on the side tho pending when/if ur attention is fully needed,u can resign from your 9-5
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by whiteroses(f): 11:28pm On Dec 07, 2015
ciwi:

I think you can do both.

Business on the side tho pending when/if ur attention is fully needed,u can resign from your 9-5

Thanks!
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 6:30am On Dec 08, 2015
dabriggs:

I no handsome ooo. I no great at all sef. I ''wor-wor'' and as a mater of fact, I am so ugly ladies hate me and babies cry upon sighting my face. But thanks all the same.

SAIPEM, well yes. While they are majorly into engineering and construction they also do other stuff both onshore and offshore. There has been some shake up in the company with a bid to get more involved in more oil and gas activities and contracts. It is almost as if the company is re-branding itself and wants to be more of a major player in the servicing industry.

I know a couple of their drill ships. On the OPL 245 Project (when it was still live, before it was frozen) Sapiem10, 000 drill ship was to be brought in to drill some wells. SEDCO EXPRESS and WEST POLARIS Semi Sub Drilling Rig and Drill ship respectively, were drilling on the field. I remember vividly going through the Sedco Express en-route to the MERLIN. My presence was so critical to Merlin's operations, I was transferred with the Zodiac FRC. grin grin grin grin grin. It was not very safe but it was thrilling. I cannot recall the details now, but I think there was a need to speed up field development and another drill ship was to be contracted. Many were considered and Saipem10,000 was favored because it could drill in ultra deep waters. Besides it is a very advanced drill ship and of course it belonged to Saipem which is a sister company to NAE who is the operator of the OPL245 Block. They are fully into drilling services as well.

The Total's Egina Field development (which they are still going ahead with despite the fall in oil prices ) has SAIPEM Playing a great role therein. They are handling EPCI of flow lines, pipelines etc. Of course Egina is considered deep offshore and Saipem is making its mark in shallow and deep offshore environments.

And oh yes. Call it frivolous, worldly, shallow or call it anything. I LIKE THEIR COVERALLS. Why, well I just think it is cute. Also I like the European styled coveralls.

Funny enough the company has huge potentials. Some areas of its activities are not even felt in Nigeria as they are in Europe.

Wow,impressive I do really appreciate your detailed and experienced reply. I saw saipem's boots and helmet 2weeks ago when my host am staying with was brought home from work in his official suv,I felt like putting it on right there,so cute!
It was the man that suggested I do go for safety training and HUET to increase my chances of getting in when I discussed with him how I would love to work offshore,I have registered for my safety training class starts next week ,level 3 start january. Atm debited me 40k without dispensing the cash yesterday I would have went ahead to register for my HUET today,but I would as soon as Its reversed back.
And for all those things you said about yourself sir,you mean exactly the opposite. Thanks for your time,I look forward to hear from you again.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 10:25am On Dec 08, 2015
IHate9ja1:

Wow,impressive I do really appreciate your detailed and experienced reply. I saw saipem's boots and helmet 2weeks ago when my host am staying with was brought home from work in his official suv,I felt like putting it on right there,so cute!
It was the man that suggested I do go for safety training and HUET to increase my chances of getting in when I discussed with him how I would love to work offshore,I have registered for my safety training class starts next week ,level 3 start january. Atm debited me 40k without dispensing the cash yesterday I would have went ahead to register for my HUET today,but I would as soon as Its reversed back.
And for all those things you said about yourself sir,you mean exactly the opposite. Thanks for your time,I look forward to hear from you again.

Oh well.You think it is the opposite. I think it is the truth. I NO FINE. MBANU!!

Oh well, yes. As a mater of fact, I like the ENI coverall especially the one with the yellow and blue color. But that is just humans and aesthetics.

When you say HSE Course (Level 3) you are talking about NISP/ISPON? Or from another training institute? NIPS/ISPON is the most recognized one. Though they are now very lazy and lack discipline and professionalism. Especially in issuing certificates after the course. I told a lady to call one of the guys and he started talking about how her voice is ''sweet'' on phone. Really? She told me and I told her to concentrate on the information he gave about registering for the course and forget his randy manners. I am no saint, believe me. But I know the virtues of modesty. I know how/when to hit on a woman. And definitely not a woman who just called for the first time on professional/official grounds.

The HUET course is good. Although the offshore requirement in Nigeria is BOSIET and the Offshore Safety Passport/Permit (OSP). The offshore safety passport is not your problem. When you get employed your company will do that for you. It involves paying some (God knows how much) in Dollars. It is not done by an individual. As a matter fact, Based on the norm, your application for the OSP will be done by your company. The BOSIET has HUET as part of its components. As a matter of fact there it the Tropical BOSIET (T-BOSIET) and the full BOSIET. Just that the BOSIET is more expensive- if I recall correctly. BOSIET is above 300-400K. Training involves accommodation and feeding.

Depending on your discipline, you may or may not need BOSIET/HUET. If you are an accountant or a management professional. You may not need BOSIET for now, but you might need SAP and any other Enterprise Resource Planning and Management courses, Oil and Gas Project Management courses and etc.

Plan your professional ''House'' and build upwards. Start with the foundation and advance from there. Depending on your work environment, you know how your foundation should be and how solid you want to make it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by ciwi: 11:14am On Dec 08, 2015
Dabriggs, God is watching u o. Be curving me, lol
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 11:20am On Dec 08, 2015
dabriggs:

Oh well.You think it is the opposite. I think it is the truth. I NO FINE. MBANU!!

Oh well, yes. As a mater of fact, I like the ENI coverall especially the one with the yellow and blue color. But that is just humans and aesthetics.

When you say HSE Course (Level 3) you are talking about NISP/ISPON? Or from another training institute? NIPS/ISPON is the most recognized one. Though they are now very lazy and lack discipline and professionalism. Especially in issuing certificates after the course. I told a lady to call one of the guys and he started talking about how her voice is ''sweet'' on phone. Really? She told me and I told her to concentrate on the information he gave about registering for the course and forget his randy manners. I am no saint, believe me. But I know the virtues of modesty. I know how/when to hit on a woman. And definitely not a woman who just called for the first time on professional/official grounds.

The HUET course is good. Although the offshore requirement in Nigeria is BOSIET and the Offshore Safety Passport/Permit (OSP). The offshore safety passport is not your problem. When you get employed your company will do that for you. It involves paying some (God knows how much) in Dollars. It is not done by an individual. As a matter fact, Based on the norm, your application for the OSP will be done by your company. The BOSIET has HUET as part of its components. As a matter of fact there it the Tropical BOSIET (T-BOSIET) and the full BOSIET. Just that the BOSIET is more expensive- if I recall correctly. BOSIET is above 300-400K. Training involves accommodation and feeding.

Depending on your discipline, you may or may not need BOSIET/HUET. If you are an accountant or a management professional. You may not need BOSIET for now, but you might need SAP and any other Enterprise Resource Planning and Management courses, Oil and Gas Project Management courses and etc.

Plan your professional ''House'' and build upwards. Start with the foundation and advance from there. Depending on your work environment, you know how your foundation should be and how solid you want to make it.

Please I'm a graduate of chemical engineering I also have some trainings in oil and gas related courses. Please I'll be grateful if I can get any link to at least work and gain experience in the field
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 08, 2015
ciwi:

Dabriggs, u seem to know a lot about this industry. Please help a sister. I'm a banker but I don tire for bank and marketing. Used to be in CSU tho. I just need relevant experience in this industry and don't mind earning less than my current pay.

I studied Economics and Statistics and currently chasing a professional certification in accounting. Biko is there any way u can help?

Would really appreciate

Good morning madam,

Now about you, you fit right in the Finance and Accounts or Human Resources and Administration Departments/Divisions based on your qualification and work experience. You have the experience to work under pressure too. You already said you studied Economics and Statistics and you are chasing a professional certification in Accounting. May I suspect ACCA or ICAN? I may? Great.

In the Oil and Gas Servicing area, there are not that many finance and accounting contractors in the Industry. KPMG does a lot of work within the financial area. PWC also does a little bit in auditing and reporting. Deloitte also just stepped into the scene and they seem to be doing well.

If you can learn a lot with specifics on the oil and gas industry and its operations. It will be good. I mean what other way to focus?
Take assets and component accounting for instance. There is a lot of calculation of their depreciation, etc. Basically component accounting is troublesome. As mater of fact, I feel most Nigerian oil companies have staff that cannot do this aspect. But of course I might be sorely wrong! My thought though. And I am no genus. So I attached a PDF file from KPMG so you can understand the breadth of the matter. I hope you do love to read? I DO. A LOT.

What are your areas of interest? I mean in the oil and gas industry or generally. Also, as I did you can go look at job descriptions and what is expected of accountants/statisticians when they are required in the oil and has industry. Look for past and present job openings see them Then you can know what the requisite skill sets are and you can define a plan in acquiring them as far as possible.

The only way I can help is to give my own bit of how I think you can go about it. It is not fail proof either. God knows I will not say what I cannot do. And what I can do is information. My father does not own the Stadium, neither is the Airport my uncle's, or Apapa Port my family's. Permit my sens of humor. That is mainly for the Ibru's smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley. Another way is for you to send me your C.V. ,your email or some way to get in touch and I inform you if HEAR of an opening. But like i informed others, there is hardly any right now. The industry in Nigeria is not growing. The stagnation is world over, but worse in Nigeria. Secondly I am not in Nigeria. Completing my Msc.

So in summary:

1. Find the required skill sets for the industry core oil and gas companies or contractors
2. Check which you can get in Nigeria
3. Develop a plan of acquiring these skills
3. Acquire them
4. keep monitoring your skills

Of course you have to look for openings as you go along.

I used to be a banker. Back then the banks just merged and recapitalized. That was back in 2005-2007. Proudly ''FBNUNPAID''. Only those initiated will understand the chants of the spirits. wink wink wink wink wink. I still consider banking as my second profession. Yes I have 4 Professional areas I am qualified to work in based on my interests and skills. Teaching/Lecturing (Academics), HSE Engineering and Management, Banking and Rigging/Deck Handling on a Ship/Vessel. With regards to banking, I still go through the skills, courses, modules that were taught during the foundation training and other numerous courses attended. Also, I can still recall how to use the software, FINACLE. Maybe I might have trouble with the most recent versions. I do not know how many upgrades and migrations have been done.

2 Likes

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 08, 2015
ciwi:
Dabriggs, God is watching u o. Be curving me, lol

Ah ah..ha ha ha ha ha!!!! Before I type your reply finish you don invite the divine one into my matter.

Abeg o. I be like David to God o. He just likes me. Though he spanks me at times. At times he just shakes his head in disappointment at my shenanigans and when I am outright stubborn and do what I want. I am not his robot.

Anyway. I don reply. Not much but it is my opinion.

PS: I tried to attach a PDF document from KPMG on Oil and Gas accounting to allow you see the spectrum of the matter, but I do not know what is wrong with it. It wont attach. I think it is a good read.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Dec 08, 2015
dabriggs:

Yes sir,the safety course is from Ispon both General and level 3.I look forward to register for my HUET @ charkin group!
I'm looking @ the saipem blue cover all now(my host official driver came home to deliver some stuff)its cool.
My question this time is; sir on any given offshore drilling/construction project how many safety officer's are in a crew on each shift rotation?
Is there a possibility of doing overtime(working beyond ones official shift)?
Well as for the way you described yourself sir,either you believe you are look good or not,all I believe is that you don't like to toot your own horn.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 08, 2015
IHate9ja1:

Yes sir,the safety course is from Ispon both General and level 3.I look forward to register for my HUET @ charkin group!
I'm looking @ the saipem blue cover all now(my host official driver came home to deliver some stuff)its cool.
My question this time is; sir on any given offshore drilling/construction project how many safety officer's are in a crew on each shift rotation?
Is there a possibility of doing overtime(working beyond ones official shift)?
Well as for the way you described yourself sir,either you believe you are look good or not,all I believe is that you don't like to toot your own horn.

The thing is, all parties have their HSE Professionals.

See, the thing is this assume SAIPEM has a job on the shell Boga field. Bonga is mainly operated and fully produced from an FPSO. SAIPEM is working with their Pipelaying Vessel (OR ship). Good. The FPSO operated by Shell will have a HSE Team there on a shift basis. SAIPEM who is the contractor MUST have a HSE Team who also work on a shift basis depending on how long the project is. The regulation for staying offshore is 14-14. 14 days off and 14 days on. Though we all know that WE ALL FLAUNT THIS. I have stayed over 30 days on one stretch. But let us go with the 14-14. So if a job will take about 10 months, SAIPEM will need the shift arrangement. The Shell HSE guys on Bonga will also do the shift thing. Hell the field will be producing for over 25 years (almost 24/7) so they need a team on a shift basis also.

There is no overtime in these activities. Hardly. Your job is ''live''. There are no holidays. They do not give a shit about Sunday. If you are Adventist, they do not give a shit about Saturday either. Keep your religious idiosyncrasies at the Caverton/Bristow yard. You are expected to work with a daily shift replacement and with a back-to-back. You, you work morning, while another works night. And after two weeks you both leave and allow two other guys take over. In many cases to cut cost, you have just one HSE guy. He works late. These are things many companies will not admit. Also for many jobs there is a DPR HSE guy on board. Monitoring activities.

The reason why you ask about overtime is probably to make more cash. Well you will be paid field allowance, hazard allowance, etc. This is not part of your salary/basic pay. So Per day you spend offshore, you earn some money. At the end you might not touch your salary. In many companies. One thing we do is swap shifts. If for instance you are to go for the next two weeks and your girlfriends birthday is next week and she says she will kill you if you are not around (most of them are happy to be with you at first but miss you latter.. grin grin grin), then you can tell your colleague to take your week and fill in for you while you repay him latter by standing in for him at a latter period. NOTE IT IS NOT VERY SIMPLE O. Some companies it is more difficult to do this or change the rotation schedule. The bosses and HR/Admin might need to be involved.

1 Like

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 08, 2015
dabriggs:

The thing is, all parties have their HSE Professionals.

See, the thing is this assume SAIPEM has a job on the shell Boga field. Bonga is mainly operated and fully produced from an FPSO. SAIPEM is working with their Pipelaying Vessel (OR ship). Good. The FPSO operated by Shell will have a HSE Team there on a shift basis. SAIPEM who is the contractor MUST have a HSE Team who also work on a shift basis depending on how long the project is. The regulation for staying offshore is 14-14. 14 days off and 14 days on. Though we all know that WE ALL FLAUNT THIS. I have stayed over 30 days on one stretch. But let us go with the 14-14. So if a job will take about 10 months, SAIPEM will need the shift arrangement. The Shell HSE guys on Bonga will also do the shift thing. Hell the field will be producing for over 25 years (almost 24/7) so they need a team on a shift basis also.

There is no overtime in these activities. Hardly. Your job is ''live''. There are no holidays. They do not give a shit about Sunday. If you are Adventist, they do not give a shit about Saturday either. Keep your religious idiosyncrasies at the Caverton/Bristow yard. You are expected to work with a daily shift replacement and with a back-to-back. You, you work morning, while another works night. And after two weeks you both leave and allow two other guys take over. In many cases to cut cost, you have just one HSE guy. He works late. These are things many companies will not admit. Also for many jobs there is a DPR HSE guy on board. Monitoring activities.

The reason why you ask about overtime is probably to make more cash. Well you will be paid field allowance, hazard allowance, etc. This is not part of your salary/basic pay. So Per day you spend offshore, you earn some money. At the end you might not touch your salary. In many companies. One thing we do is swap shifts. If for instance you are to go for the next two weeks and your girlfriends birthday is next week and she says she will kill you if you are not around (most of them are happy to be with you at first but miss you latter.. grin grin grin), then you can tell your colleague to take your week and fill in for you while you repay him latter by standing in for him at a latter period. NOTE IT IS NOT VERY SIMPLE O. Some companies it is more difficult to do this or change the rotation schedule. The bosses and HR/Admin might need to be involved.
Wow,am so elated to hear from you sir. I have read a bit about the bonga,aje,egina and one other oil field.
Yes overtime,am still very much young and single(no babe).
Sir on bonga field,is saipem still involved on the activities on the bonga fpso production activities presently?
Your profile pictures looks like a vessels cabin(I have been on board a maersk vessel before)
Sir another issue is that saipem lays off worker every 6months(redundancy) according to what I heard,but a guy which is an in law to my host who as a permanent staff there as worked @ Eni for 2years +.
My question is,in such a firm how can someone stay afloat and not be a victim of such layoffs?
Keep us informed,we need it?
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Socratez20(m): 2:10pm On Dec 08, 2015
Socratez20:
This has been quite an enlightening thread, the contributions have been wonderful, thanks to every one, a particular question has not been answered, i guess it is an oversight or absence of contributors probably due to time constraint.
I will like to be enlightened on the roles and prospects of Mechanical Engineers in the Oil and Gas industry.
CC
Dabriggs
Madcow

1 Like

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by maestro09: 2:38pm On Dec 08, 2015
I am a 400 level mechanical engineering student. I just completed my 6 months industrial training in an oil and gas servicing company, and I really picked up interest in the industry. Now,I would love to work for the majors...the exploration companies.will a masters in petroleum engineering in a reputed university abroad give me a chance to achieve this.

And secondly, can I go for a masters in mechanical engineering and still achieve my aim,because petroleum engineering is kind of limited in scope compared to mechanical engineering and due to the serious falling of oil price,no one knows what the future will look like for the oil and gas industry.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Dec 08, 2015
IHate9ja1:

Wow,am so elated to hear from you sir. I have read a bit about the bonga,aje,egina and one other oil field.
Yes overtime,am still very much young and single(no babe).
Sir on bonga field,is saipem still involved on the activities on the bonga fpso production activities presently?
Your profile pictures looks like a vessels cabin(I have been on board a maersk vessel before)
Sir another issue is that saipem lays off worker every 6months(redundancy) according to what I heard,but a guy which is an in law to my host who as a permanent staff there as worked @ Eni for 2years +.
My question is,in such a firm how can someone stay afloat and not be a victim of such layoffs?
Keep us informed,we need it?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..This guy. If you be student for my class I go dey avoid to answer your questions. You be like Hugo for ''What's the Big Idea''. If I answer one, e go lead to another. Hugo will say ''why'' for every ''because....'' you tell him.

The SAIPEM-Bonga-DPR thing was just for Illustration. I used it for illustration. Just so you get the idea of all the players. Operators, Contractors, Regulator and even NGO/Community Relations at times. Though in In real life, SAIPEM handled Bonga's North West (OML 118) Field subsea development project. Well over 150 million dollars. It involved the EPCIP of production pipelines, flowlines, umbilical etc. That was a long time sha.

They might not lay-off per se. People just say things the way they want in Nigeria. No where are people self deluded and involved in self deceit like Nigeria. I am Nigerian. I love Nigeria. I am proudly Ijaw from one of the Largest War Canoe Houses in the whole of Ijaw Land. So dont mind that I bash Nigeria/Nigerians.

Fact is some people were employed on a Project Basis. They were not employed as staff forever. If your project ends, they have to let you go. When SAIPEM employs/recruits, they make this clear. But Nigerians will not say the truth. I am not saying the companies are innocent. Especially the Italians. But we must know what is happening. Yes they do lay of indiscriminately. But I have seen people recruited on a Project Basis and when the project ends after a year or two, they complain. They forget when they were popping Champagne in the club. It is annoying.

Recently you can hardly blame companies for letting people go. There are no new projects. Meaning no new ways for the company to earn income and shareholders do not want to hear stories. Cost must be cut.

Currently, I am not in Nigeria. So for today I do not know about their presence on the Bonga field. I can ask friends on board. But it is not important. I guess you are just curious. Completing my MSc. program overseas. Yes I am on a study leave.

As for my profile photo. E be like I go remove am.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 08, 2015
dabriggs:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..This guy. If you be student for my class I go dey avoid to answer your questions. You be like Hugo for ''What's the Big Idea''. If I answer one, e go lead to another. Hugo will say ''why'' for every ''because....'' you tell him.

The SAIPEM-Bonga-DPR thing was just for Illustration. I used it for illustration. Just so you get the idea of all the players. Operators, Contractors, Regulator and even NGO/Community Relations at times. Though in In real life, SAIPEM handled Bonga's North West (OML 118) Field subsea development project. Well over 150 million dollars. It involved the EPCIP of production pipelines, flowlines, umbilical etc. That was a long time sha.

They might not lay-off per se. People just say things the way they want in Nigeria. No where are people self deluded and involved in self deceit like Nigeria. I am Nigerian. I love Nigeria. I am proudly Ijaw from one of the Largest War Canoe Houses in the whole of Ijaw Land. So dont mind that I bash Nigeria/Nigerians.

Fact is some people were employed on a Project Basis. They were not employed as staff forever. If your project ends, they have to let you go. When SAIPEM employs/recruits, they make this clear. But Nigerians will not say the truth. I am not saying the companies are innocent. Especially the Italians. But we must know what is happening. Yes they do lay of indiscriminately. But I have seen people recruited on a Project Basis and when the project ends after a year or two, they complain. They forget when they were popping Champagne in the club. It is annoying.

Recently you can hardly blame companies for letting people go. There are no new projects. Meaning no new ways for the company to earn income and shareholders do not want to hear stories. Cost must be cut.

Currently, I am not in Nigeria. So for today I do not know about their presence on the Bonga field. I can ask friends on board. But it is not important. I guess you are just curious. Completing my MSc. program overseas. Yes I am on a study leave.

As for my profile photo. E be like I go remove am.

Don't remove it sir and as for the information,I do appreciate it a lot. You don't have a job to give me but you have @ your disposal info and insights that can get me started which is enough for me. Yes many are employed on merit agreed but for the few folks I know who are working here they got it via recommendation and networking.
Trust you enjoying uk,many of the oil big guys(Total guys) are @ herriot watt univ,looking @ most of the linkedIn profiles I have viewed.
One things about this project jobs is that many fail to invest and as you have said many go clubbing!
This kind of dialogue gets my brain stimulated.

1 Like

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Dec 08, 2015
IHate9ja1:

Don't remove it sir and as for the information,I do appreciate it a lot. You don't have a job to give me but you have @ your disposal info and insights that can get me started which is enough for me. Yes many are employed on merit agreed but for the few folks I know who are working here they got it via recommendation and networking.
Trust you enjoying uk,many of the oil big guys(Total guys) are @ herriot watt univ,looking @ most of the linkedIn profiles I have viewed.
One things about this project jobs is that many fail to invest and as you have said many go clubbing!
This kind of dialogue gets my brain stimulated.

Well, I am kidding about the questions thing.

It is good to be sensibly and correctly motivated. Yes, as a banker I learnt not to trust on one source of income. If I can not find a job, believe me I will go to my lecturers, give show them my skill set and experience, get their course outline and organize tutorials for students in Universities for a Fee. Even if na 100 Naira per class per student. Like you said and like I agreed. Me my head they calculate fast and it is good to be stimulated and spurred on.

You need networking. It is important as a professional. The reason groups like linkedin are great. Not just facebook, badoo, wechat, and what have you. Each has its use. But spending TOO MUCH time chatting about LindaIkeji and how Trey songs broke Alicia Keys' heart (abi na who dem say she dey date sef wey dey beat her) will add no value. I know information that are immediately available to me at the touch of my phone and the dialing of a combination of numbers. It is as much about WHO YOU KNOW as much as it is about WHAT YOU KNOW. They are both VERY important. So know as many people as you can. Add me to the list sef.

1 Like

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 08, 2015
dabriggs:

It is good to be sensibly and correctly motivated. Yes, as a banker I learnt not to trust on one source of income. If I can not find a job, believe me I will go to my lecturers, give show them my skill set and experience, get their course outline and organize tutorials for students in Universities for a Fee. Even if na 100 Naira per class per student. Like you said and like I agreed. Me my head they calculate fast and it is good to be stimulated and spurred on.

You need networking. It is important as a professional. The reason groups like linkedin are great. Not just facebook, badoo, wechat, and what have you. Each has its use. But spending TOO MUCH time chatting about LindaIkeji and how Trey songs broke Alicia Keys' heart (abi na who dem say she dey date sef wey dey beat her) will add no value. I know information that are immediately available to me at the touch of my phone and the dialing of a combination of numbers. It is as much about WHO YOU KNOW as much as it is about WHAT YOU KNOW. They are both VERY important. So know as many people as you can. Add me to the list sef.

Lol,yes sir I have added you. Who and what you know matters a lot but above all Gods unfailing grace and mercy is paramount,when I told my host who is a contract administrator that I'd love to work offshore,he suggested I go for H.se and HUET,in all things am trusting God for the best,he has brought me this far. How I started my journey in ph was tough and rugged,I shall testify soon by Gods grace.
Investment is the key,the job market ain't stable. A lot of people are loosing their jobs right now.
God bless us
Sir depending on the depth of an oil well,what's the average duration to get an oil well drilled?
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Dec 08, 2015
Dabriggs you didn't answer my question please
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 08, 2015
kokaneprodigy:
Dabriggs you didn't answer my question please

I apologize.

Sorry for I have no link. Not at this moment. You studied Chemical Engineering. Do you have any specific area you are interested in? General process control or something? Chemical Process Safety? Process Instrumentation and Control? Or Chem. Engine. Research and Development. Within the entire oil and gas value chain, where is your interest?

I decided to respond only to questions directed at me. I do not want it to seem as if I am dominating the topic. There are other brilliant guys who will be glad to contribute also. I had to check again and found you actually quoted me earlier in one of my replies to someone else. This is why I am replying.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 08, 2015
dabriggs:

I apologize.

Sorry for I have no link. Not at this moment. You studied Chemical Engineering. Do you have any specific area you are interested in? General process control or something? Chemical Process Safety? Process Instrumentation and Control? Or Chem. Engine. Research and Development. Within the entire oil and gas value chain, where is your interest?

I decided to respond only to questions directed at me. I do not want it to seem as if I am dominating the topic. There are other brilliant guys who will be glad to contribute also. I had to check again and found you actually quoted me earlier in one of my replies to someone else. This is why I am replying.
I'm interested in process or production.
I offered reservoir engineering and petroleum related courses as electives in schl.
I've learnt how to use HYSYS simulation package and have achieved a certificate from IFP school in an online oil and gas course and about completing another online course with them.
If given the chance I strongly believe I can fit into chemical Process /production I just need to know how to begin. I really need the experience.
Even it's free just concluded my service so I'm not rushing.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by ALVA001: 4:34pm On Dec 08, 2015
dabriggs:

hello sir, i ve followed ur posts on ds thread and read all d quality advise u ve been dishing out to folks. I want to say weldone sir.
Here is my question, is dia anything 4 a grad of Agricultural Economics in d OICs and have u ever met one.
Thanks in anticipation 4 ur reply sir.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 08, 2015
kokaneprodigy:

I'm interested in process or production.
I offered reservoir engineering and petroleum related courses as electives in schl.
I've learnt how to use HYSYS simulation package and have achieved a certificate from IFP school in an online oil and gas course and about completing another online course with them.
If given the chance I strongly believe I can fit into chemical Process /production I just need to know how to begin. I really need the experience.
Even it's free just concluded my service so I'm not rushing.

I would have gladly given you a link if I had one with regards to your need for experience. But most of these things are practical. Production is mainly handled by the oil producing companies themselves and their partners. Not by contractors. Most of the production guys are Petroleum Engineers. Their job generally covers the day to day management of oil and gas production operations. They are expected to help maximize profitability by increasing revenue and lowering operating expenses as low as possible without undermining HSE.

The IFP course you talk about is MOOC. I know MOOC. It is a good course people should take. It really introduces oil and gas operations.

Take Chevron for instance in one of their recruitment they expected production engineers to be involved in:
-Production monitoring and evaluation
-Asset management planning
-Workover design and execution
-Production equipment design
-Cost estimating and budgeting
-Interfacing with working interest partners, service companies and regulatory agencies
-And of course all other duties that might be assigned to you from time to time

With HYSIS you have started already with respect to process engineering. It is to keep looking for opportunities to show your skills and keep working on yourself to improve.

Merely looking at this and more opening in the past, if I wanted to start my professional strong points with regards to training and courses I will look for courses in these areas. A short course in Oil and Gas Asset Management Planning. Another course in Oil and Gas Accounting and Budgeting. I might do a refresher in Engineering design for Oil and Gas Equipment. I might also look for a course in Oil and Gas Asset Management. This is what I have been advising people to do. I could research these areas. Know what each encompasses, split these into modules/units/areas and then find courses related to these areas. But it is not as easy. Time, money, effort, opportunity etc.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by plat0: 6:42pm On Dec 08, 2015
dabriggs:

good day sir,i'm presently in uniport studying EE,i plan on specialising in instrumentation and control.sir,i'd appreciate if you drop some valuable nuggets on the aforementioned field(requisite skills and certifications).in the mean time,i stay following your posts and exceptional perspective on the oil industry.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 08, 2015
ALVA001:

hello sir, i ve followed ur posts on ds thread and read all d quality advise u ve been dishing out to folks. I want to say weldone sir.
Here is my question, is dia anything 4 a grad of Agricultural Economics in d OICs and have u ever met one.
Thanks in anticipation 4 ur reply sir.

I have met graduates of agricultural sciences in the Environment/Sustainable Development units under HSE working as Environmentalists.

As for Agronomics, I think I have. I recall even I found it interesting. I did not keep in touch.

The question is which area are you leaning towards? Economics is easier for you? I know the course interweaves these two disciplines so well and in the discipline it is almost impossible to separate the two. My take is as an Agronomist, you are more of an Economics graduate than an agricultural scientist. As such you can develop your skills in the area of Oil and Gas Economics and Accounting, or Petroleum Economics and Management. The CAPEX and OPEX people. smiley smiley smiley. You can also focus on on Oil and Gas Project (Risk) Management etc.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by maestro09: 7:07pm On Dec 08, 2015
maestro09:
I am a 400 level mechanical engineering student. I just completed my 6 months industrial training in an oil and gas servicing company, and I really picked up interest in the industry. Now,I would love to work for the majors...the exploration companies.will a masters in petroleum engineering in a reputed university abroad give me a chance to achieve this.

And secondly, can I go for a masters in mechanical engineering and still achieve my aim,because petroleum engineering is kind of limited in scope compared to mechanical engineering and due to the serious falling of oil price,no one knows what the future will look like for the oil and gas industry.
dabriggs,this is meant for you sir
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 08, 2015
plat0:
good day sir,i'm presently in uniport studying EE,i plan on specialising in instrumentation and control.sir,i'd appreciate if you drop some valuable nuggets on the aforementioned field(requisite skills and certifications).in the mean time,i stay following your posts and exceptional perspective on the oil industry.

I am a graduate of Uniport myself. So it means you are academically smart and street smart. Integrity and Self Reliance. No other school in Nigeria Teaches you to be this way. I consider you lucky. I think on one of my earlier posts I talked about the steps you need to take. You want to work as an Instrumentation and Control Expert. The questions are:

-WHAT IS EXPECTED OF INSTRUMENTATION AND CONTROL ENGINEERS?
-HOW CAN YOU GET THE RELEVANT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES?
-HOW CAN YOU GET INFORMATION ON OPENINGS OR
-HOW CAN YOU PROVIDE A SERVICE OR INVENT SOMETHING NEW?

When you know what is expected you can device a plan in doing your part and getting these things ready. I suggested the following courses earlier:

1.Electrical/Instrumentation Basic Process Controls Courses
2.Reliability/Functional Safety-SPECIFICALLY ON ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT (IEC)
3.Electrical Production Systems
4.Oil and Gas Electrical Engineering Systems (I think OPITO offers this)
5.CP especially impressed current type. But pay attention to all types- CP is cathodic protection/corrosion protection via sacrificial anode or impressed current system.

By the way, I still dream of coming back to lecture in that school someday. Even if it is on a part time basis. To teach Safety Engineering and Management using the ISO 31000, IEC 61508/61511 and NEBOSH IDP/IGC content as the foundations for the curriculum. By the time the engineering students graduate they should be ready and skilled enough to register and walk over NEBOSH exams.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 08, 2015
maestro09:

dabriggs,this is meant for you sir

Well yes having a degree in Petroleum Engineering seems to remove a lot of talk during recruitment as they know your are in the right domain. But you have said it all. Petroleum engineering seems to narrow. Mechanical Engineering seems broad. So its own strength is its problem. As a petroleum engineer you are not just to work in the role of petroleum engineer. One thing you must know is that NOWADAYS PEOPLE ARE POSTED FROM ONE UNIT TO ANOTHER TO GIVE THEM A GOOD OVERVIEW OF COMPANY OPERATIONS. So as a petroleum engineer do not be surprised if you find yourself in Safety Engineering during your career ladder climb.

With mechanical engineering you can pay emphasis on oil and gas production equipment and petroleum engineering under Mechanical. Specialized courses can be attended also to attain this. Remember, under petroleum engineering there is the structural, mechanical and electrical aspects. While it is industry specific it is also broad in some sense.

So it is either Petroleum Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with Emphasis or Professional courses in Petroleum Engineering.

Final decision is yours. Like I said. I will never tell anybody what to do. NEVER. I give my opinions/experiences. It is for you to consider them and make an informed decision. For all good intents and purposes ask other people too what they think. And most of all pray to be led the right way if you believe in that. Not all those who pray are successful and vice versa. Depends on what you believe in.

Sorry this is how much I can contribute.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 08, 2015
dabriggs:

I would have gladly given you a link if I had one with regards to your need for experience. But most of these things are practical. Production is mainly handled by the oil producing companies themselves and their partners. Not by contractors. Most of the production guys are Petroleum Engineers. Their job generally covers the day to day management of oil and gas production operations. They are expected to help maximize profitability by increasing revenue and lowering operating expenses as low as possible without undermining HSE.

The IFP course you talk about is MOOC. I know MOOC. It is a good course people should take. It really introduces oil and gas operations.

Take Chevron for instance in one of their recruitment they expected production engineers to be involved in:
-Production monitoring and evaluation
-Asset management planning
-Workover design and execution
-Production equipment design
-Cost estimating and budgeting
-Interfacing with working interest partners, service companies and regulatory agencies
-And of course all other duties that might be assigned to you from time to time

With HYSIS you have started already with respect to process engineering. It is to keep looking for opportunities to show your skills and keep working on yourself to improve.

Merely looking at this and more opening in the past, if I wanted to start my professional strong points with regards to training and courses I will look for courses in these areas. A short course in Oil and Gas Asset Management Planning. Another course in Oil and Gas Accounting and Budgeting. I might do a refresher in Engineering design for Oil and Gas Equipment. I might also look for a course in Oil and Gas Asset Management. This is what I have been advising people to do. I could research these areas. Know what each encompasses, split these into modules/units/areas and then find courses related to these areas. But it is not as easy. Time, money, effort, opportunity etc.
Thanks a lot boss. These ideas would be helpful.

1 Like

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Dec 08, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/dabriggs
Good one,never knew you finished from uniport sir.
Lastly sir,my questions are
1) While you are offshore,how do you keep in touch with families? I.e calls,email etc
2) From the moment you land on the platform,how do you each working day starts? The time you wake up,have your meals,what do you do during your leisure time offshore?
That would be all for now sir.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by ALVA001: 5:02am On Dec 09, 2015
dabriggs:

I have met graduates of agricultural sciences in the Environment/Sustainable Development units under HSE working as Environmentalists.

As for Agronomics, I think I have. I recall even I found it interesting. I did not keep in touch.

The question is which area are you leaning towards? Economics is easier for you? I know the course interweaves these two disciplines so well and in the discipline it is almost impossible to separate the two. My take is as an Agronomist, you are more of an Economics graduate than an agricultural scientist. As such you can develop your skills in the area of Oil and Gas Economics and Accounting, or Petroleum Economics and Management. The CAPEX and OPEX people. smiley smiley smiley. You can also focus on on Oil and Gas Project (Risk) Management etc.

thanks 4 ur response sir, dt was kind. As to where am leaning, firstly i dont see my self as a fresh graduate going into d OICs, i prefer to start a carrier wt one of ds consulting companies Pwc, KPMG,Deloitte or EY, before maybe going into oil and gas, so wt dt i know i will be leaning more to accounting and economics. While @ it i will like to know if d OICs have gt any special qualifications dy love to see in pple from my field rather than just experience.
At present sir ,I'm working very hard to @least gt into d big 4, dy say its a good place to strt one's carrier.
Once again 10k u very much sir.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by plat0: 11:14am On Dec 09, 2015
dabriggs:

I am a graduate of Uniport myself. So it means you are academically smart and street smart. Integrity and Self Reliance. No other school in Nigeria Teaches you to be this way. I consider you lucky. I think on one of my earlier posts I talked about the steps you need to take. You want to work as an Instrumentation and Control Expert. The questions are:

-WHAT IS EXPECTED OF INSTRUMENTATION AND CONTROL ENGINEERS?
-HOW CAN YOU GET THE RELEVANT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES?
-HOW CAN YOU GET INFORMATION ON OPENINGS OR
-HOW CAN YOU PROVIDE A SERVICE OR INVENT SOMETHING NEW?

When you know what is expected you can device a plan in doing your part and getting these things ready. I suggested the following courses earlier:

1.Electrical/Instrumentation Basic Process Controls Courses
2.Reliability/Functional Safety-SPECIFICALLY ON ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT (IEC)
3.Electrical Production Systems
4.Oil and Gas Electrical Engineering Systems (I think OPITO offers this)
5.CP especially impressed current type. But pay attention to all types- CP is cathodic protection/corrosion protection via sacrificial anode or impressed current system.

By the way, I still dream of coming back to lecture in that school someday. Even if it is on a part time basis. To teach Safety Engineering and Management using the ISO 31000, IEC 61508/61511 and NEBOSH IDP/IGC content as the foundations for the curriculum. By the time the engineering students graduate they should be ready and skilled enough to register and walk over NEBOSH exams.
thank you sir for the insightful post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Medical Scientist Graduate Salary / How Nigerians Hustle To Put Food On The Table On A Daily Basis (video/pictures) / Widow Who Rides Keke, Becomes A Successful Entrepreneur, Inspires Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 193
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.