Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,898 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable (5854 Views)

The Origin Of Urhobo People / Yoruba music of Non-Nigerian origin. / 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by tonychristopher: 12:34pm On Nov 24, 2015
English language is known for borrowing from other languages and every word (like everything else) has an origin.

The word “Makurdi,” for example, comes with a story. When our colonial masters first visited the area now called Makurdi, they wanted to meet the person that was in-charge. And the locals kept referring to a rich merchant, whom they called mai-kudi, which translates to ‘owner of money’ in Hausa. Knowing the white man and his habit of killing our African names started calling the whole town Makurdi. And that is how the town, Makurdi, got its name.

Which words have been borrowed from Nigerian Languages? We are going to answer that question today. GiftedGreen is going to provide you with some English words that have Nigerian Origin.

1.Okra

At first you would wonder why this word is called “Okro” in Nigeria, and yet it is spelled “Okra” in English. It is not because you do not know how to spell; it is simply because it originated from the Igbo word “okuro” which also means also known as “ladies’ fingers”.

2.Juju

No Nigerian needs an introduction to the word juju. At first, it does not seem like an English word until you check your dictionary.

According to The Free Dictionary, this word originated from Hausa. And yes, it also mentioned the Yoruba type of music in the dictionary

3.Bogus

Bogus means fake or fraudulent. Bogus is believed to be from the Hausa word “boko-boko”.

4.Tango

Tango probably originates from the word ‘tamgu’ means to dance in Ibibio. How the Ibibio’s were able to name an Argentinean dance still baffles everybody at GiftedGreen. The FreeDictionary still gives credit to the language (Ibibio) so who are we to judge?

5.Buckra

Buckra is a word used contemptuously by Black people, especially in the United States to refer a White man. This word is believed to have originated from the Efik word mba-ka-ra which means master. #slavetradethings

6.Yam

The word yam probably originated from the Fulani word “nyami”. We would bet that you did not see this one coming, did you? If you were to choose a word contributed by the Fulani, you probably would have said cow.

This list does not end here, there are also a couple of words like Dashiki, Agbada, Chigger, Obeah, and many more.

Can you think of any English word with Nigerian Origin? Enter them in the comment below.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bronzegoddess(f): 12:45pm On Nov 24, 2015
Ok
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by ephemm(m): 12:47pm On Nov 24, 2015
Molue, Danfo have found their way into some English dictionaries and both have their origin in Nigeria
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by palladin: 1:05pm On Nov 24, 2015
Elekuntity...means absence. Usage: i went to his house but met his elekuntity (soyinka)
Figirine..... Usingwalking stick Usage: the man is old and figirine (soyinka)

Don't ask me if they are true.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bokohalal(m): 6:04pm On Nov 24, 2015
tonychristopher:
English language is known for borrowing from other languages and every word (like everything else) has an origin.

The word “Makurdi,” for example, comes with a story. When our colonial masters first visited the area now called Makurdi, they wanted to meet the person that was in-charge. And the locals kept referring to a rich merchant, whom they called mai-kudi, which translates to ‘owner of money’ in Hausa. Knowing the white man and his habit of killing our African names started calling the whole town Makurdi. And that is how the town, Makurdi, got its name.

Which words have been borrowed from Nigerian Languages? We are going to answer that question today. GiftedGreen is going to provide you with some English words that have Nigerian Origin.

1.Okra

At first you would wonder why this word is called “Okro” in Nigeria, and yet it is spelled “Okra” in English. It is not because you do not know how to spell; it is simply because it originated from the Igbo word “okuro” which also means also known as “ladies’ fingers”.

2.Juju

No Nigerian needs an introduction to the word juju. At first, it does not seem like an English word until you check your dictionary.

According to The Free Dictionary, this word originated from Hausa. And yes, it also mentioned the Yoruba type of music in the dictionary

3.Bogus

Bogus means fake or fraudulent. Bogus is believed to be from the Hausa word “boko-boko”.

4.Tango

Tango probably originates from the word ‘tamgu’ means to dance in Ibibio. How the Ibibio’s were able to name an Argentinean dance still baffles everybody at GiftedGreen. The FreeDictionary still gives credit to the language (Ibibio) so who are we to judge?

5.Buckra

Buckra is a word used contemptuously by Black people, especially in the United States to refer a White man. This word is believed to have originated from the Efik word mba-ka-ra which means master. #slavetradethings

6.Yam

The word yam probably originated from the Fulani word “nyami”. We would bet that you did not see this one coming, did you? If you were to choose a word contributed by the Fulani, you probably would have said cow.

This list does not end here, there are also a couple of words like Dashiki, Agbada, Chigger, Obeah, and many more.

Can you think of any English word with Nigerian Origin? Enter them in the comment below.

The word YAM is Bini/Edo and entered the English lexicon through the Portuguese. Yam is IYAN in Bini.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bokohalal(m): 6:22pm On Nov 24, 2015
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by Junior66(m): 7:26pm On Nov 24, 2015
The English word Egg probably got its origin from the Igala language. Egg is called Egge in the igala language.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by absoluteSuccess: 7:26pm On Nov 24, 2015
bokohalal:

The word YAM is Bini/Edo and entered the English lexicon through the Portuguese. Yam is IYAN in Bini.

Copy that, yam is from iyan, and it derived from benin or so.

juju is from 'black magic', juju is egun for dudu, black.

juju music came from a band that once played for some herblists

later, some of their fans said 'na the musicians wey play for those juju people that day'.

from then, the type of music was dubbed juju music.

this story was shared on tv by the very first juju artist many years back.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bokohalal(m): 8:47pm On Nov 24, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

Copy that, yam is from iyan, and it derived from benin or so.

juju is from 'black magic', juju is egun for dudu, black.

juju music came from a band that once played for some herblists

later, some of their fans said 'na the musicians wey play for those juju people that day'.

from then, the type of music was dubbed juju music.

this story was shared on tv by the very first juju artist many years back.

Surprised that you didn't have a problem with others only with Bini IYAN for YAM.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by absoluteSuccess: 9:40pm On Nov 24, 2015
I said 'copy that', meaning I agree with you.

iyan is Yoruba word for pounded yam. Isu is yam.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bigfrancis21: 12:58am On Nov 25, 2015
Of all these words, only 'okro' has been confirmed to be of Igbo origin.

In the Caribbean, 'cocoyam' is widely called 'edo' which is speculated to be from the Igbo word for cocoyam, 'ede'.

Few weeks ago I had gone to an African/Hispanic store to get some cocoyams to make Ofe Ugu (well, there's no Ugu here in the US so I use spinach as substitute) and it was refreshing to walk to the roots/tuber section and see the cocoyams widely labelled 'eddo' on top of it. cool
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by tpiadotcom: 3:52am On Nov 25, 2015
booking space.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by absoluteSuccess: 5:05am On Nov 25, 2015
bigfrancis21:
Of all these words, only 'okro' has been confirmed to be of Igbo origin.

In the Caribbean, 'cocoyam' is widely called 'edo' which is speculated to be from the Igbo word for cocoyam, 'ede'.

Few weeks ago I had gone to an African/Hispanic store to get some cocoyams to make Ofe Ugu (well, there's no Ugu here in the US so I use spinach as substitute) and it was refreshing to walk to the roots/tuber section and see the cocoyams widely labelled 'eddo' on top of it. cool

thanks for compromising all the rest to put your igbo word in the spotlight.

but how did you verify eddo derived from igbo's ede again in that caribo-hispanic store's botanical dictionary?

I miss that in the story, plus including an excerpt to disclaim other nigerian words in english.

I guess you did the verifying and validation on the spot with that 'almighty formular' (Ebonics) of yours. cheesy

I think 'eddo' is an answer to 'irish' (potatoe). It gets to Edo before ede.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bigfrancis21: 5:43am On Nov 25, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

thanks for compromising all the rest to put your igbo word in the spotlight.

but how did you verify eddo derived from igbo's ede again in that caribo-hispanic store's botanical dictionary?

I miss that in the story, plus including an excerpt to disclaim other nigerian words in english.

I guess you did the verifying and validation on the spot with that 'almighty formular' (Ebonics) of yours. cheesy

I think 'eddo' is an answer to 'irish' (potatoe). It gets to Edo before ede.

The word 'cocoyam' is only a recent English name for that tuber root. Mind you, Olaudah Equiano, the ex-Igbo slave of the 1700s had written about Ede in his autobiography which he spelt as 'Eada' due to non-conventional Igbo spelling then. In his work, he mentioned several foods of his native Igbo people and tried to give their English names, however, he rendered 'ede' in Igbo, most likely because he could not find the English equivalent during his time, most likely being that Ede was not a widely-known or consumed food to have had a name in English, and being only popular within the West African region at that time.

In some other article somewhere I read some long time ago, a white slave master wrote about chiding his Ebo slave by ridiculing his 'useless eddoes' he is fond of eating. Notice that this slave master associated 'eddoes' with his Ebo slave or Igbos in general. I would have to find this article again.

Eddo/Eada is most likely an Igbo word transported to the Caribbean by the massive number of Igbo slaves taken to that region. Some articles say it is of Fanti origin being 'edwo' for 'yam', however I find it odd that the Fante name for Yam suddenly becomes the name for Cocoyam when both of them existed at the same time and the Fante must surely have a different name for cocoyam. In Igboland, cocoyam is referred to specifically as 'ede'.

'Yam' is widely speculated to be of Wolof/Fulani origins.

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by absoluteSuccess: 6:41am On Nov 25, 2015
Thats a very plausible response, it does not abrogate other loan words in English as asserted by the OP.

then also, where could 'cocoyam' may have derive from? if the food is native to west africa, it follows them to the new world.

probably cocoyam is plucked from koko+yam, koko is Yoruba for cocoyam. Maybe that version attain the mainstream in English lexicon.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bokohalal(m): 8:46am On Nov 25, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
I said 'copy that', meaning I agree with you.

iyan is Yoruba word for pounded yam. Isu is yam.

Everyone knows that. However, the Yoruba pronunciation of IYAN is different from the Bini .
Pounded yam is EMA in Bini.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bokohalal(m): 8:59am On Nov 25, 2015
Yam is widely speculated to be of Wolof / Serer origin. INHAME, from which that speculation is derived is said to be a verb meaning "to eat." That makes sense to some so called educated people.
The Bini word for yam is a noun. No speculation here. Just read the link provided above.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by absoluteSuccess: 10:50am On Nov 25, 2015
bokohalal:

Everyone knows that. However, the Yoruba pronunciation of IYAN is different from the Bini .
Pounded yam is EMA in Bini.

The Yoruba version, iyan implies something to bake with fire, as in grilled. I yan.

To bake is yan, just as 'se' or 'bor' is to steam. All the languages are interwoven.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bokohalal(m): 11:54am On Nov 25, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

The Yoruba version, iyan implies something to bake with fire, as in grilled. I yan.

To bake is yan, just as 'se' or 'bor' is to steam. All the languages are interwoven.

In Yoruba, IYAN is a verb. Very good.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bigfrancis21: 11:55am On Nov 25, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Thats a very plausible response, it does not abrogate other loan words in English as asserted by the OP.

then also, where could 'cocoyam' may have derive from? if the food is native to west africa, it follows them to the new world.

probably cocoyam is plucked from koko+yam, koko is Yoruba for cocoyam. Maybe that version attain the mainstream in English lexicon.

Couldn't Yoruba have probably borrowed 'koko' from the English 'cocoyam' instead? There is not one, not even the slimmest, suggestion that suggests the origin of 'cocoyam' from 'koko' in Yoruba.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bigfrancis21: 12:01pm On Nov 25, 2015
bokohalal:
Yam is widely speculated to be of Wolof / Serer origin. INHAME, from which that speculation is derived is said to be a verb meaning "to eat." That makes sense to some so called educated people.
The Bini word for yam is a noun. No speculation here. Just read the link provided above.

The likely origin of 'yam' from bini is possible however the odd thing is binis were hardly sold as slaves to the Caribbean and the reality of such possibility approaching zero. The binis thought of their people to be royal, and thus hardly sold their own into slavery. On the other hand, several wolof and fulanis were sold into slavery. From whence didst 'iyan' from Bini enter the English language? The bini origin of yam in English seems very unlikely to me.

Language wise, during the slave trade era, the binis jealously guarded their language from outsiders and this is evident from the fact that the binis thought it not wise to impose their language on their conquered territories (urhobos, isokos, western Igboland), only being the language of the king and palace place. Even till today, several Edos (binis and eshans) I've come across jealously guard their language but would rather want to learn yours.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bokohalal(m): 12:13pm On Nov 25, 2015
bigfrancis21:

The likely origin of 'yam' from bini is possible however the odd thing is binis were hardly sold as slaves to the Caribbean and the reality of such possibility approaching zero. The binis thought of their people to be royal, and thus hardly sold their own into slavery. On the other hand, several wolof and fulanis were sold into slavery. From whence didst 'iyan' from Bini enter the English language? The bini origin of yam in English seems very unlikely to me.

Language wise, during the slave trade era, the binis jealously guarded their language from outsiders and this is evident from the fact that the binis thought it not wise to impose their language on their conquered territories (urhobos, isokos, western Igboland), only being the language of the king and palace place. Even till today, several Edos (binis and eshans) I've come across jealously guard their language but would rather want to learn yours.

You could avail yourself of the link I put up there. It is clear where the word YAM is from. We are not dealing with speculation or possibility here. There are references to follow up as well.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by absoluteSuccess: 12:15pm On Nov 25, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Couldn't Yoruba have probably borrowed 'koko' from the English 'cocoyam' instead? There is not one, not even the slimmest, suggestion that suggests the origin of 'cocoyam' from 'koko' in Yoruba.

Cocoyam is staple food in england, like potatoe, raddish and what have you.

Oh yes, we borrow koko from them, and they borrow cucumber from us.

cucumber is from 'concon-ayaba', this was recently anglicised to cucumber.

i believe since there is no Olaudah Equiano in Yoruba, that 'logo exchange' is lost forever.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by absoluteSuccess: 12:20pm On Nov 25, 2015
bokohalal:

In Yoruba, IYAN is a verb. Very good.

Iyan, something baked.

yiyan: baked, roasted.

dindin: fried.

sise: cooked.

bibor: steamed, boiled.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bigfrancis21: 2:00pm On Nov 25, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

Cocoyam is staple food in england, like potatoe, raddish and what have you.

Oh yes, we borrow koko from them, and they borrow cucumber from us.

cucumber is from 'concon-ayaba', this was recently anglicised to cucumber.

i believe since there is no Olaudah Equiano in Yoruba, that 'logo exchange' is lost forever.

Lol@concon ayaba = cucumber. cheesy

I would believe it is the other way round though.

Moreover, cocoyam was not a stable food in Europe until recently. During the slave trade era, it was noted to be quite popular in Africa and the Caribbean (imported). At the time of Olaudah's slavery, the root tuber was not popular in Europe. Its usage in Europe is only recent.

Olaudah Equiano's work is quite exceptional in that it is a written and documented account of early Igboland, especially at a time when Igboland had almost no contact with the outside/western world and influence, and thus its language and customs still intact and pure. Mind you, Olaudah's village was somewhere deep in the interior of Igboland and we find mention of the usage of words such as 'oyibo', 'eada' etc. among his people in his work, indicating the usage of such words in Igboland as at the 1700s.

Olaudah's work can be compared to the bible which preserves written accounts of early Hebrew life and customs. For that fact, his work is held in high regard.

In the academic world, preference is always given to the earliest documented piece of evidence as early as possible.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by absoluteSuccess: 2:40pm On Nov 25, 2015
You bet,

Coco is likely from koko. The egun call cocoyam, 'gren', they call yam 'teyi'.

It is impossible to depend on foreign name for what is found in your habitat,

Pineapple is ope oyinbo, puffpuff is akara oyinbo, tangerine is oro mbo.

paranta is a corruption of plantain. Even in Orombo, notice -mbo, a coded form of Oyinbo is there to alert you its exotic.

But before then we have ogede, banana, and we have oro (sour, juice).

But because oro connotes bitter, sharp experience, the option 'osan' (healthy) was deviced.

The Yoruba wont likely have a proverb, 'gbede nii ro koko lagbala' if koko was foreign.

look at gbede (ede) and oroma (orange?) for inspiration.

Koko is part of our flora, and there is a type called 'kooko', which is probably exotic.

Ultimately, small yams of the size of cocoyam or potatoe are called 'ikokoro'.

I respect the work and place of Olaudah Equiano in African, Nigeria, Igbo and black history.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by bigfrancis21: 2:58pm On Nov 25, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
You bet,

Coco is likely from koko. The egun call cocoyam, 'gren', they call yam 'teyi'.

It is impossible to depend on foreign name for what is found in your habitat,

Pineapple is ope oyinbo, puffpuff is akara oyinbo, tangerine is oro mbo.

paranta is a corruption of plantain. Even in Orombo, notice -mbo, a coded form of Oyinbo is there to alert you its exotic.

But before then we have ogede, banana, and we have oro (sour, juice).

But because oro connotes bitter, sharp experience, the option 'osan' (healthy) was deviced.

The Yoruba wont likely have a proverb, 'gbede nii ro koko lagbala' if koko was foreign.

look at gbede (ede) and oroma (orange?) for inspiration.

Koko is part of our flora, and there is a type called 'kooko', which is probably exotic.

I respect the work and place of Olaudah Equiano in African, Nigeria, Igbo and black history.

The usage of koko in Yoruba might be either due to ancient borrowing of the word or just co-incidence with cocoyam in English. Like I mentioned to someone else before, that the fact one was born at a time when a word is popularly used amongst a people doesn't necessarily mean it belongs to them or originated from them. It could have been imported before the person was born. This is where academic evidence comes into play as it gives definite evidence.

The Igbo say 'munwa'/'muwa' for 'me' (emphasis) and the French also say 'moi' for 'me'. Same pronunciation. However, it would be extreme to claim origin of the word from one language to another. Co-incidences often exist between languages that are far distances away from each other or totally unrelated.

I respect your opinion about the usage of koko in Yoruba however I strongly doubt if 'cocoyam' derives from it or cucumber from Yoruba. This might not help but borrowed words are often known to be shorter than the parent words, and in this case, 'koko' is shorter than 'cocoyam'
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by absoluteSuccess: 7:45pm On Nov 25, 2015
bigfrancis21:

The usage of koko in Yoruba might be either due to ancient borrowing of the word or just co-incidence with cocoyam in English. Like I mentioned to someone else before, that the fact one was born at a time when a word is popularly used amongst a people doesn't necessarily mean it belongs to them or originated from them. It could have been imported before the person was born. This is where academic evidence comes into play as it gives definite evidence.

The Igbo say 'munwa'/'muwa' for 'me' (emphasis) and the French also say 'moi' for 'me'. Same pronunciation. However, it would be extreme to claim origin of the word from one language to another. Co-incidences often exist between languages that are far distances away from each other or totally unrelated.

I respect your opinion about the usage of koko in Yoruba however I strongly doubt if 'cocoyam' derives from it or cucumber from Yoruba. This might not help but borrowed words are often known to be shorter than the parent words, and in this case, 'koko' is shorter than 'cocoyam'

most of the secrets of ages still elude us, therefore,

all I can say is, I look to cryptic facts that still elude us.

The findings continue.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin! Unbelievable by absoluteSuccess: 9:30am On Nov 27, 2015
The reality of life is, we tends to embrace 'the idea of least resistance', that is, the easiest explanation of a word is the bail-out.

if there is 'ancient borrowing', then there is 'ancient contact'. @bigfrancis21, do you mind exploring this idea of much resistance to expose us to something new?

You have earlier said it's recent borrowing, and has now claim it is 'ancient borrowing'. Which is your final note?

Assuming the word is an artifact, with two sides laying claims to it, how do you mediate? Cos I am counting on you in this one.

Olaudah Equiano didn't have 'cocoyam' but eda, the white slavemaster chiding eddoes likewise. But the west Africans have tribal names for it.

Why would the Yoruba adopt coco from cocoyam when yam itself was a west african (probably Yoruba) word?

Iyan-koko / yam coco.

Iyan-koko is Yoruba for pounded cocoyam. We didn't borrow a word for potatoe (anomoh, odunkun, werri), how did we opt for cocoyam?

the borrowing is between Equiano's time and now.

(1) (Reply)

Neanderthal Dna Exist In Yoruba And Khoisan / Photo Evidence Of Oreri (ora-eri)People Of Anambra State Being Igala By Ancestry / South African Lady Goes Nude To Celebrate Zulu Culture (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.