Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? (37757 Views)

Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' / "The Cleanest Street In Ile-Ife To Receive N100K Every Month" Says Ooni. Photos / What's So Bad About Using Your Left Hand To Collect Or Give Things? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by misspicy(f): 8:34pm On Nov 24, 2015
Flashh:
Why abi?

Wait, I dey come make I go ask my grandpa.
see ya life...you no want make the poor man sleep abi undecided

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Karence(f): 8:34pm On Nov 24, 2015
Am a leftist and to heck with anyone who think its wrong coolAm a leftist and to heck with anyone who think its wrong
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Zuriela: 8:34pm On Nov 24, 2015
I remember sometime ago while processing a customer's transaction I passed a document for him to sign with my left, he rejected and like a 2nd tot he collected it with his left and handed it back with same left too. When I stood up to print d doc and he saw that I was heavy he understood why I couldn't use my right. He apologise n said he tot I was bn disrespectful not knowing I was pregnant so turning d other way will be a problem. I still wonder why Pple see left hand dt way.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by fisayoolowo: 8:35pm On Nov 24, 2015
So people like us that are left handed nko. Used to be conscious at one point but now I can't be bothered, as if the hand is not part of the body . Africans

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by jgbemson1: 8:36pm On Nov 24, 2015
this kind of situation has happen to me ,when i went to EPE ,on getting there i was very hungry and i decided to look for a canteen to eat .

when i entered into the canteen ,i was serve by a lady and i received a call ,holding my phone with my right hand and i use my left hand to collect my food been serve in a plate ,

could u believe the lady turn me down ,that she cant give me the food that am using a left hand .

I just laugh and i told her ,i am on a call (phone)with my right hand ,yet she didnt give me and i walk out of the canteen

for me i dont think its wrong to colllect or give something to someone with left hand ..
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by emorse(m): 8:36pm On Nov 24, 2015
chuchutech:
that is african tradition and we must respect it period!

I hate these kinds of answers.

I no insult you o. Just airing my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by dhummystecah(f): 8:37pm On Nov 24, 2015
Well I learnt it is rude to offer things or take things with left hand since it is mostly use for unclean things like cleaning after doing number 2.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Nov 24, 2015
Aminat508:
I don't like it too angry

My dear smiley

Nobody gives a flying single Bleep!!!!!! Werey!

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Koolking(m): 8:37pm On Nov 24, 2015
Nigerian African with warped mentality. Everything has been spiritualise yet we are not spiritual.

God created all things unique, it is only man (Nigerians) that decides which one is a mistake.

He wanted both hands to complement each other.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 24, 2015
Theyveedo:
I bought recharge card from an elderly woman today along the street on my way back from an errand. While giving me my change, she passed it with her left hand cos right was occupied but she quickly apologised that I shouldn't be offended.

My question is; why is it offensive to give or receive with the left hand
I know it's a common thing in many cultures but I don't know the reason why.

Plz share your thoughts.
Complete bull crap. Black man way of thinking
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Vaughn240: 8:39pm On Nov 24, 2015
fr3do:
The right hand is the stronger hand of most persons
Its used for the most important tasks.

Whatever, it is courtesy and we should respect it.
Why no like
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by missKiffy(f): 8:39pm On Nov 24, 2015
sukkot:
maybe cuz the left hand is used by women to tamba undecided
What is tamba cheesy
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by kellsblingsz(m): 8:40pm On Nov 24, 2015
Try giving someone 1million naira wit your left hand den u will knw if giving out smth wit ur left hand is really that bad...
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Deejay1000(m): 8:41pm On Nov 24, 2015
African nd superstitious

believes *my mama beat hell out of me whn i waz younq because i was a leftist. Bt dat could'nt change me.sad

typin wif ma left hand tongue

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Flashh: 8:42pm On Nov 24, 2015
misspicy:

see ya life...you no want make the poor man sleep abi undecided
The (op) is very hungry for answer, so I want to consult the elders.

Grandpa, I'm very sorry. embarassed

And what's "Spicy" with your moniker?
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by ashlyfab78(m): 8:43pm On Nov 24, 2015
we wl never be out of those cultural believe bondage
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Lennylinconlee(m): 8:43pm On Nov 24, 2015
Its just phylosophical saying and doing...is a general bliv for disrespectful to Giv elders smtin with left hand.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Deejay1000(m): 8:44pm On Nov 24, 2015
African nd superstitious

believes *my mama beat hell out of me whn i waz younq because i was a leftist. Bt dat could'nt change me.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by sukkot: 8:44pm On Nov 24, 2015
missKiffy:

What is tamba cheesy
the person above or below me can better answer the question. i am soaking granut and garri tongue

deejay1000 and originalsly over to you
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Originalsly: 8:44pm On Nov 24, 2015
Xbee007:
This scenario is not only peculiar to African culture. Even in the West it is an
Really?....at presentations....graduations, award ceremonies like the Grammy's... receiving gifts... don't they use the right hand to shake hands and the left to receive the whatever? @topic ... I think it is more traditional because of hygienic reasons. Like someone said...the left hand was tradionally used for unhygienic purposes. ..... no water readily available for washing after ehmmm...whatever. So that hand is like the poo hand...the one that can spread disease.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by crownfitsme(f): 8:45pm On Nov 24, 2015
Ilorin taxi drivers are guilty of this. You give money with left hand, you are in trouble and u receive with left hand wahala. Hian!
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by BreezyRita(f): 8:47pm On Nov 24, 2015
*In Don William's voice* That Right is right and Left is wrong
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Naff24(f): 8:47pm On Nov 24, 2015
sukkot:
maybe cuz the left hand is used by women to tamba undecided
Shey na right u guys dey use tamba
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Davidifeanyi: 8:47pm On Nov 24, 2015
Because it is believed that anything LEFT is negative. God/the Bible said smthing about how some people will stay in His Right handside(Heaven) while some folks will go to His Left handside(Hell) hope its now clearer why majority people in our society dont even fancy eating with their left hands. It is only in football game that you can earn money and respect playing with your left leg though ...My quo shaa...
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Davidifeanyi: 8:49pm On Nov 24, 2015
Because it is believed that anything LEFT is negative. God/the Bible said smthing about how some people will stay in His Right handside(Heaven) while some folks will go to His Left handside(Hell) hope its now clearer why majority people in our society dont even fancy eating with their left hands. It is only in football game that you can earn money and respect playing with your left leg...My quo shaa...
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Idrismusty97(m): 8:49pm On Nov 24, 2015
Is she Yoruba? I give and receive with my left hand everyday, No one gives a fvck. Is my left hand not mine again. I know the yorubas or perhaps southerners are the ones who takes fetish things like this seriously.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Archmage(m): 8:49pm On Nov 24, 2015
Theyveedo:
I bought recharge card from an elderly woman today along the street on my way back from an errand. While giving me my change, she passed it with her left hand cos right was occupied but she quickly apologised that I shouldn't be offended.

My question is; why is it offensive to give or receive with the left hand
I know it's a common thing in many cultures but I don't know the reason why.

Plz share your thoughts.
elements of culture need not be rational or logical. what is to be considered is the value or the essence of a cultural element. once people have a valid reason which has a social implication, the can go any length defending and expressing their cultural beliefs. in my view. the essence is based on respect and a value for individual dignities. the left hand is does a hideous task of cleaning up the anus. thus, to show a sense of dignity to ourselves, the right hand if free should be used at all times. my opinion
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 24, 2015
If I am owing you one million dollars for over two years and upon the point of paying you back, I handed over the bag containing the money to you, while holding my car key and cellphone in my right hand.
Will you refuse to collect the bag of money?
Most left handed people make great mathematicians and scientists
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by BuddhaPalm(m): 8:53pm On Nov 24, 2015
Demigods:

Only buzh people do that. Superstitious load of bullcrap

Am not sure it has anything to do with superstition.

Many many moons ago, when there wasn't tissue and co, it appears the left hand was the standard ass-wiping hand.

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by sukkot: 8:53pm On Nov 24, 2015
Naff24:

Shey na right u guys dey use tamba
the guy below me can better answer that question undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Olori Badirat Olaitan And Her Sons Stun In New Photos / The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state / 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.