Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids (52728 Views)

MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please / Nigerian Man Loses Job Of N120k Pay Because Of N2k / I Can't Accept A Job Offer That Pays Below 100k/month ( Keke Rider) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Guruscrew: 8:45am On Nov 25, 2015
Lara Odoffin, a Nigerian living in the UK had her job offer revoked because of her hair. She was told that her braids were not part of the ‘uniform’

The Bournemouth University graduate Lara Odoffin wrote about the discrimination she had faced in a post on Facebook yesterday and was astonished when it quickly went viral and was shared 3,000 times.

She also posted a picture of the email she had received from the company, which read: ‘Unfortunately we cannot accept braids – it is simply part of the uniform and grooming requirements we get from our clients.

‘If you are unable to take them out I unfortunately won’t be able to offer you any work.’

In her own post, she wrote: ‘So after being accepted for a position within this company, they have TAKEN BACK the offer of a position on the grounds that if I do not take my braids out.

‘Naturally I simply cannot work for the company.

‘This type of discrimination should not still be happening in this day and age and any establishment still condoning such practices deserve to be shamed and criticised.

‘Being a black woman means that to have a long term hairstyle that stays neat is always going to be a problem.

‘Having braids that last for 2-4 months and can be packed neatly and styled to however a workplace requires is the solution to this problem.

‘No workplace has any right to forbid you from this.”

https://web.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154322581668776&set=a.10150497961093776.483684.631358775&type=3&theater

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by boboLIL(m): 8:59am On Nov 25, 2015
Thank ur God u no de naija de talk that thing....u for remain for ur papa house till.............end time trumpet

61 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 25, 2015
FP PLEASE!!!

3 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by UdohOby(f): 9:14am On Nov 25, 2015
Would the braid affect her productivity? Na wa for some employers abeg. The problem is that, once you play by the rules, more rules will be given. Anyways, if you can't take the heat, leave the kitchen.

37 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by kings009(m): 9:16am On Nov 25, 2015
Black is beautiful! Rep your colour babe...don't mind the shallow minded conformists that sell their PRIDE for slavery.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by mumbasa: 9:20am On Nov 25, 2015
To God in heaven the braids are beautiful and fits her perfectly. It's absurd.

But if she were in naija she would have no problem removing dem cos guy Work Scarce Die!!

20 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Favolly(f): 9:45am On Nov 25, 2015
End-time company or End-time braids??

*Modified

As much as I applaud her taking a stand , I would
say that in this case it was overrated.
Businesses exist to serve customers /clients not
employees. If as per feedback from the
customers, the business decides to have a dress
code, should they now turn around because of
one employee? Should employees be pleased at
the expense of their clients? Its
the employers decision to do what ’s fitting for
his /her company .

Quit the racist card

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by osesology(m): 9:58am On Nov 25, 2015
The fact that she has refused to remove the braids means that she is confident of more job opportunities...thank your stars that it's not here in Naija.
But the hair no bad sha

*mycandidopinion*

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Cpumping(m): 10:07am On Nov 25, 2015
I like ur stance.

aswear if it were in Nigeria, d girl wee even barb gorimakpa

grin

24 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Ultimus: 10:20am On Nov 25, 2015
Most sympathizers with this Lady, I believe have let their feelings run along with them. Some will even make it out into a case of discrimination against blacks when in fact it is nothing of such. Most jobs have specs that include a strictly regimented style of outward appearance including the styling of the hair. If it was deemed that she failed on that front, the recruiters are left to decide her fate, which they have done. Besides it was mentioned in the feedback she got that she will not be able to satisfy their clientele with her appearance, once again the interest of the company won over hers. It happens all over the world. I'm sorry she lost a job but people lose jobs everyday because of the smallest of nuances or under-qualification. It's a cold world, if she can learn to adapt and stop playing victim, I am sure she'll make headway.

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by oluwajjayfabric(f): 10:38am On Nov 25, 2015
Girl.. I really don't think they have anything against your braids.. Might just be company policy and I'm sure they have their reasons for that.. For example i insist dat my girls dont wear fake nails when they are working in a particular section of our store. Not because i have anything against fake nails (I do wear it once in a while).. but I took time to explain my reasons which directly affects our wares..

So for them to have gotten back to you means they would love for you to work with them if you could just take d braids out.. and if you cant then bounce.. no hard feelings..

I think the world will be a better place if we looked at things from the other person's perspective...

77 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 25, 2015
End time employers! End time employee

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by HALLofFAME: 11:49am On Nov 25, 2015
# End time braid # End time job # End time. Country. cool

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by armadeo(m): 11:59am On Nov 25, 2015
The man dictating the tune said play blues you decided to play reggae. What did you expect.

The company doesn't want that hairstyle for whatever reason and you refuse to take it off now you are shouting.

I like my beard but my job entails being clean shaven so I shave thrice a week.

Swerve joor.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by ehissi(m): 12:10pm On Nov 25, 2015
This one resemble who work dey hungry?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by passionz(f): 1:03pm On Nov 25, 2015
I see! end time jobs!

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by damton(m): 1:22pm On Nov 25, 2015
Company policy I guess.

I'd have said racism at work but then I remembered that white folks don't wear braids.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by tolexy007(m): 1:22pm On Nov 25, 2015
grin

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by viktor01(m): 1:22pm On Nov 25, 2015
ok
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by pretydiva(f): 1:23pm On Nov 25, 2015
See d biuriful braids wey dem say mk she cut..dis one na end time employment oo..

Make God help we black oo..d discrimination is just 2 mch
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 25, 2015
Keyword 'if'

They have a code, its up to her. No need to play victim.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Eldorado01(m): 1:23pm On Nov 25, 2015
[size=20pt] Lara you have to the company`s policy

Ladies why not just check my signature to clear off your stretch marks [/size]
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by miqos02(m): 1:23pm On Nov 25, 2015
hmm
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Seunaj05(m): 1:23pm On Nov 25, 2015
It's time to come home gal.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by xreal: 1:24pm On Nov 25, 2015
Come home, lets compete and develop our nation at the end.

Simple.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 25, 2015
You see? You see now?! You see?!!!
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by demarc001: 1:25pm On Nov 25, 2015
Sorry for the loss
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by anonimi: 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
kings009:
Black is beautiful! Rep your colour babe...don't mind the shallow minded conformists that sell their PRIDE for slavery.

She ALREADY sold her pride into slavery being in the UK rather than contributing to her own country's development. embarassed
Do you know how much the fees she PAID for her education has contributed to the British economy and DEPRIVED the Nigerian economy
Yet the "discriminating" oyinbo nor send am oh!
Why do we think in such narrow, parochial ways?
Why?
Any chance that we can REDEEM ourselves soon

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/avatars/ngpqy14me9hk5qty8uc53ap8iowc4elq1111115[/img]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Fearcom(m): 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
See the end tyme condition they gave her for the end tyme job grin she gave them end tyme refusal grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Pascal181: 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
UdohOby:
Would the braid affect her productivity? Na wa for some employers abeg. The problem is that, once you play by the rules, more rules will be given. Anyways, if you can't take the heat, leave the kitchen.
On d other hand,can't she do away with d braids? Guy job no dey aniwhere o

3 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by jaymichael(m): 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
You sef take the braid off na make you start work. If them even say make I barb gorinmopa sef.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Income Level Do You Belong? / Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery / Coronavirus: TVC Slashes Staff Salaries - Politics Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.