Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,043 members, 7,807,132 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? (11329 Views)

Vacancy For Energy Officers - Walk-in Interview On 22nd And 23rd Sept, 2017 / Invited For An In Interview / Walk In Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by hoover420: 7:54pm On May 14, 2017
Of course, you can't be looking like baba suwe and expect to secure a banking job

1 Like

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by gradeA(m): 7:55pm On May 14, 2017
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Nickizoe(f): 7:55pm On May 14, 2017
Yes! It does..
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by alexiej(m): 7:56pm On May 14, 2017
TMDavidWest:
Good English certainly does. And your topic is faulty.

Gosh! I'm glad someone else noticed... *sigh*

1 Like

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by kolafolabi(m): 7:58pm On May 14, 2017
canalily:
Pls can you interview these peopleundecided

Do you know that man OBJ is highly respected worldwide?

6 Likes

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by olafunny(m): 7:58pm On May 14, 2017
TMDavidWest:
Anyway I'm glad u understood the question. That matters a lot
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by olafunny(m): 7:59pm On May 14, 2017
alexiej:
Does Look Or Gender HAVVVVVVVVEEEEEEE Anything To Do With Success In Interview?
error on my part. Thanks for the correction

1 Like

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by mmsen: 7:59pm On May 14, 2017
Unfortunately it does. Human beings are very shallow (and often stupid) creatures who will make snap judgments based on appearance, gender and religion.

I know this because I've sat in on discussions where people have been discriminated against because of those three.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Nobody: 8:00pm On May 14, 2017
well yes it does for some type of jobs especially dem marketing and front desk job. As for management trainee roles it still matters though its at a subconscious level. An interviewer subconsciously feels safe and free with a pretty/handsome well dressed candidate, though you still have to show case your skills but definitely looks do help.

interviews are always subjective as long as you're being interviewed by a human. e.g some people just don't like guys that keep long beard even though it has nothing to do with the job. Now imagine you keep a beard and you meet an interviewer who personally or subconsciously doesn't like it, automatically there is some negative bias towards you.

8 Likes

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by chiefolododo(m): 8:03pm On May 14, 2017
That is unfair
tosyne2much:
Though I'm bereft of interviews knowledge, but I I think looks and gender also goes a way to getting a job

Statistics have it that ladies find jobs easily than the male folks
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 14, 2017
tosyne2much:
Though I'm bereft of interviews knowledge, but I I think looks and gender also goes a way to getting a job

Don't you just love Nigerians. They can change mouth...
Statistics from where? NBS?

Now ladies find jobs easily? I always thought Nigerian women don't work, they finish school...get married and leach on their husbands. grin

OP, yes it does, looks sure helps. Gender comes in when it's a gender sensitive role (e.g) a female would naturally have an edge over a guy if it's a customer service role.
A guy would also have an edge if it's an energy consuming role

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 14, 2017
PaperLace:

Don't you just love Nigerians. They can change mouth...
Statistics from where? NBS?

Now ladies find jobs easily? I always thought Nigerian women don't work, they finish school...get married and leach on their husbands. grin

OP, yes it does, looks helps a lot. Gender comes in when it's a gender sensitive job (e.g) a female would naturally have an edge over a guy if it's a customer service role.
are you a feminist?
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by willibounce1(m): 8:06pm On May 14, 2017
Sure...that's why light skinned girls are getting employed over black girls. You some positions don't really require much intelligence. Just be pretty and light skinned so that you can attract customers.

7 Likes

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Quinn22(f): 8:07pm On May 14, 2017
You look like an armed robber! I guess your interviewer was nice to say you look like a thief tongue
LastMumu:
Looks sure as hell influences applicants success in interviews. Since graduating from school, I have had close to 30 interviews but no job yet. I was bundled out of the last interview room because my interviewer claims I look like a thief. angry

1 Like

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by NaeChris: 8:07pm On May 14, 2017
Nickizoe:
Yes! It does..
Based on wetin? Say the interviewer like woman or man as the case may be.
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Electronzeez(m): 8:08pm On May 14, 2017
LastMumu:
Looks sure as hell influences applicants success in interviews. Since graduating from school, I have had close to 30 interviews but no job yet. I was bundled out of the last interview room because my interviewer claims I look like a thief. angry

Lol
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Gerrard59(m): 8:09pm On May 14, 2017
tosyne2much:

Link to the study?

@OP, it depends on the nature of the job and requirements stated. I have seen job adverts here that explicitly say male or female needed. The industry matters. For instance, there are more male preferred vacancies than female preferred in IT, construction, engineering and technical related sectors. Are we to say ONLY males are employed for jobs? Same can be said for marketers, secretaries, personal assistants, health-care, teaching, care-giving related jobs. They most times I have seen here prefer females instead of males.

Next time, don't start a post that has no iota of evidence or statistical analysis.
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Emmaesty(f): 8:09pm On May 14, 2017
LastMumu:
I thought you said that you graduated with a third class. How come you have had close to 30 interviews?

1 Like

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Nickizoe(f): 8:10pm On May 14, 2017
NaeChris:
Based on wetin? Say the interviewer like woman or man as the case may be.
You've just said it all!
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by jayloms: 8:11pm On May 14, 2017
TMDavidWest:

Hmmm... are we to understand there's another form of English - Bad English perhaps?
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by NaeChris: 8:11pm On May 14, 2017
Nickizoe:
You've just said it all!
Lol. You donminit!

1 Like

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by yollychika(f): 8:16pm On May 14, 2017
Looking good is good business ... Looks is very key ... U r at an advantage if u look good n have self confidence!

1 Like

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Nobody: 8:16pm On May 14, 2017
Emmaesty:
I thought you said that you graduated with a third class. How come you have had close to 30 interviews?

I think the germane question should be what year did I graduate and what kind of jobs am I being interviewed for. You were probably still writing WAEC when I left school. You really don't wanna know the kind of jobs I apply for grin

BTW, from your question, are you implying 3rd class graduates ain't entitled to interviews? angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Nobody: 8:18pm On May 14, 2017
Quinn22:
You look like an armed robber! I guess your interviewer was nice to say you look like a thief tongue

Everyone keeps saying that, I don tire sef. Before people used to say I resemble assassin. cry
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Nobody: 8:23pm On May 14, 2017
LastMumu:
Looks sure as hell influence applicants success in interviews. Since graduating from school, I have had close to 30 interviews but no job yet. I was bundled out of the last interview room because my interviewer claims I look like a thief. angry

A lady came for IT position, she told my hubby she is married with 3kids and her husband isn't around. He came home and told me she doesn't look smart, plus how can IT have 3 children grin.

Though generally, he says he prefers working with women and gave his reasons...
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Emmaesty(f): 8:33pm On May 14, 2017
LastMumu:

I think the germane question should be what year did I graduate and what kind of jobs am I being interviewed for. You were probably still writing WAEC when I left school. You really don't wanna know the kind of jobs I apply for grin

BTW, from your question, are you implying 3rd class graduates ain't entitled to interviews? angry

3rd class graduates hardly get called for interviews,that's why I was surprised when you said 30.

By the way,
I know you are a Troll.

1 Like

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Lilimax(f): 8:33pm On May 14, 2017
Yes it does but you must be intelligent as well.

1 Like

Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by canalily(m): 8:35pm On May 14, 2017
kolafolabi:

Do you know that man OBJ is highly respected worldwide?
where did you see obj bro undecided
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by HZNjnr(m): 8:36pm On May 14, 2017
1. DOES LOOK OR GENDER HAVE...NOT ''HAS''

2. YES
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by sizzlingcold(m): 8:41pm On May 14, 2017
LastMumu:
Looks sure as hell influence applicants success in interviews. Since graduating from school, I have had close to 30 interviews but no job yet. I was bundled out of the last interview room because my interviewer claims I look like a thief. angry
This one weak me o
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Chukabiz1961(m): 8:42pm On May 14, 2017
olafunny:
Hello nairalanders,
Good day,

Being a fresh graduate, i know I'm getting closer to the real world and also about to enter what is regarded as the 'Nigeria Labour Market'. I've been on Nairaland for over a year now and i have read so many articles and write-ups about interviews and employments. So also, i have read so many posts on interviews' disappointments by males and females (mostly males though). Also in my quest to satisfy my curiosity, i came across many posts by fortunate nairalanders (i don't mean the ones without jobs are unfortunate) who had successful passed their interviews and had been offered jobs with reasonable 'take home' pays.

Now, i wish to know if, apart from experience and qualifications, the look or the gender of the involved interviewee is greatly considered also before a job can be given? What i mean by the 'look' is how pretty the lady is or how tall and handsome the guy is. Or it doesn't matter at all?

No be say i fine sha, i won know if my look get chance too ni grin grin grin just kidding anyway.

My question is directed to employers and employees who must have passed through one or two interview sessions. And also to those who are still in the process of 'job hunting'.

May God help us all.

#olafunny
Did anybody say you are ugly? Have you not heard about disabled people getting jobs? Just trust in God and do the right thing.
Re: Does Look Or Gender Has Anything To Do With Success In Interview? by Partnerbiz(f): 8:48pm On May 14, 2017
Does look or gender HAVE not HAS.....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Guinness Nigeria Plc Latest Job Recruitment (3 Positions) / 2019 NECO Marking Coordination??? / Why Is That Everyone Cares When It's Too Late.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.