Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,103 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group (2123 Views)

Niger Delta Group Vows To Bomb NNPC Towers If Patience Jonathan Is Arrested / We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group / We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by alcmene: 4:57pm On Nov 25, 2015
When Boko Haram captured territory in Nigeria’s northeast last year and declared a caliphate, there were real fears for the sovereignty of Africa’s most populous nation.

A deadline is looming for the military to end the six years of violence, with signs that troops have wrested back control of most of the towns and villages lost to the Islamists.

But now President Muhammadu Buhari is facing another potential headache with the revival of separatist sentiment in the country’s southeast and renewed debate over the sharing of oil wealth.

Recent weeks have seen a wave of protests calling for an independent state of Biafra, 45 years after the end of the brutal civil sparked by a previous declaration of independence.

Now, campaigners in the oil-producing Niger delta are demanding total control of resources to develop the region, which remains under-developed despite billions of dollars earned from crude.

Last Friday, the Niger Delta Self-Determination Movement (NDSDM) lobby group, declared the current agreement, whereby oil revenue is divided among Nigeria’s 36 states, was unfair.

“The 13 percent (share for the Niger Delta) enshrined in the 1999 constitution by the military is depriving us of our God-given resources,” the group’s convener Annkio Briggs told reporters in Lagos.

“We want 100 percent control and ownership of our oil so that we can control our future.”

– Northern ‘dominance’ –

Nigeria’s crude-reliant economy has been battered by the fall in global oil prices, hampering government spending and even the payment of state-sector salaries.

Crude accounts for 90 percent of Nigeria’s export earnings and 70 percent of government overall revenue.

In 2014, the country earned $77 billion from oil exports, according to the US Department of Energy, down from $84 billion in 2013 and $94 billion in 2012.

How much each state in the federation gets from the sector has long been a thorny issue, exposing barely concealed regional and ethnic rivalries.

Demands for a greater share of oil revenue were a factor in the violence that gripped the delta in the 2000s until a government amnesty programme, which ends this year, bought off militants.

Briggs’ group argues Nigeria’s political architecture, with 19 states classed as northern and 17 in the south, unfairly penalises the southern states where oil is found.

“Of the 774 local government areas (administrative divisions within each state), the north is given almost 70 percent,” she said, calling it “manipulations for… socio-economic and political dominance”.

She blamed a succession of northern-dominated military governments for forcing through the revenue-sharing agreement down the barrel of a gun “without our free, prior and informed consent”.

Briggs denied calling for a break away from the federation but argued every region instead should use its own natural resources to develop itself.

The NDSDM was founded last year during a national conference convened by former president Goodluck Jonathan at which delegates recommended the delta region received 18 percent of oil revenue.

The recommendation was not implemented before Jonathan left office.

– ‘Politically motivated’ –

Nigeria is almost evenly split between a Muslim-majority north and largely Christian south and the sharp division informs most aspects of political debate.

But the argument for so-called “fiscal federalism” is seen by some as unrealistic, with sectors such as agriculture and manufacturing not sufficiently developed yet to be sustainable.

Anyakwee Nsirimovu, of the Niger Delta Civil Society Coalition pressure group, said demands from southern pressure groups were predictable now Buhari, a northern Muslim, was in power.

“Why is it after the defeat of Jonathan you see the likes of Annkio Briggs, MASSOB (Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra) and IPOB (Indigenous Peoples of Biafra) asking for resource control and self-determination?” he asked.

The complaints in fact exposed the failure of Jonathan, from the oil-producing Bayelsa state, to help his southern kinsmen during his six years in power, he argued.

“Those who lost out in the power equation are behind the crisis,” he claimed.

But Tony Nnadi, of the Movement for New Nigeria, said every ethnic group had the right to either belong to or pull out of Nigeria, nearly 102 years after the country was formed.

“In 1914, the so-called Nigeria came into being through an amalgamation of southern and northern protectorates by the British colonial power,” he said.

“By the provisions of the amalgamation, we have the right since 2014 to renegotiate the basis of our continued existence.

The experiences of various ethnic groups “in the last 100 years have shown we cannot continue in the marriage”, he added.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/we-want-100-percent-control-ownership-of-our-oil-ndelta-group/

1 Like

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by Nobody: 4:59pm On Nov 25, 2015
undecided undecided
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 25, 2015
Na b say na die
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by anochuko01(m): 5:00pm On Nov 25, 2015
the major reason why Biafra wouldn't last! the core igbos be claiming they fought for their independence, while the south-south still be claiming ''its our oil''. as long as this attitude continues, there's not gonna be any development whatsoever for either Nigeria or Biafra. what the nation needs is a passionate unbiased individual, something the nation seems to lack, except for a few individuals.

1 Like

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by alcmene: 5:11pm On Nov 25, 2015
I fully support resource control.

Let the senile, illiterate certificate forger and perjurer Buhari go and manage money from the sale of tomato, cattle, kilishi and hides and skin.

Can you imagine the idiot hounding Deziani for alleged corruption when oil oozes from her backyard?

Enough of the nonsense from these northern parasites.

When agriculture was the mainstay of our economy, the parasitic northern cretins used the same resource control/derivation formula to marginalize and milk the nation dry.

Now that oil money is our savior they reject resource control in its entirety....

Imagine the lanky dullard usurped the petroleum ministry....as if its groundnut oil we are talking about undecided

12 Likes

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by shepherd77: 5:19pm On Nov 25, 2015
Ok.
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 25, 2015
alcmene:
I fully support resource control.

Let the senile, illiterate certificate forger and perjurer Buhari go and manage money from the sale of tomato, cattle, kilishi and hides and skin.

Can you imagine the idiot hounding Deziani for alleged corruption when oil oozes from her backyard?

Enough of the nonsense from these northern parasites.

When agriculture was the mainstay of our economy, the parasitic used the same resource control/derivation formula to marginalize and milk the nation dry.

Now that oil money is our savior they reject resource control in its entirety....

Imagine the lanky dullard usurped the petroleum ministry....as if its groundnut oil we are talking about undecided
Damn! After reading your comment,I was eager to know the face behind it. fortunately its what I expected. An Old frustrated foool. Sir you look scary and ugly.

3 Likes

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by likila: 5:24pm On Nov 25, 2015
anochuko01:
the major reason why Biafra wouldn't last! the core igbos be claiming they fought for their independence, while the south-south still be claiming ''its our oil''. as long as this attitude continues, there's not gonna be any development whatsoever for either Nigeria or Biafra. what the nation needs is a passionate unbiased individual, something the nation seems to lack, except for a few individuals.

since you likes we niger delta people so much, give us the 100% control and shame the biafrauds.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by ShowYourCertificate: 5:24pm On Nov 25, 2015
I won't blame the Niger Delta if they agitate for full resource control. It's their oil for Petes sake, let them use it to develop their land. Nigeria needs to practice full fiscal federalism, that's the only way we can move forward as a country. Let every state generate their own revenue using the resources they have rather than relying on the dwindling monthly allocations from the Federal Government.

1 Like

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by Candyrain(m): 5:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
Eurobomber plsss come talk to this people. I wither for them undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by DuchessLily(f): 5:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
Hehehehe....hmmmm God save nigeria
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 25, 2015
Good luck to them, cos they will need it!
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by ticking: 5:30pm On Nov 25, 2015
sameer1212:
Damn! After reading your comment,I was eager to know the face behind it. fortunately its what I expected. An Old frustrated foool. Sir you look scary and ugly.

It's only a coward that leaves the message and attacks the messenger.

7 Likes

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by ticking: 5:32pm On Nov 25, 2015
likila:

since you likes we niger delta people so much, give us the 100% control and shame the biafrauds.

Zombies frustrated
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 25, 2015
ticking:

Lol...The dude took it personal. I know there are many ways to pass a message without insults but not here on nairaland. I bet You that old man is not a Niger deltan
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by hmath3991(m): 5:37pm On Nov 25, 2015
We Niger Deltans are siting on a long thing True federalism wont work in this country. Na now our eye clear
we were deceived by the North to fight our Brothers from the East making us believe they were the enemy. i dnt support True federalism. ALL I WANT IS BIAFRA. BODY, SOUL and MIND

11 Likes

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 25, 2015
sameer1212:

Go and start planting cocoa.

We can not continue to subsidise you ingrates from the Southwest

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 25, 2015
sameer1212:
Lol...The dude took it personal. I know there are many ways to pass a message without insults but not here on nairaland. I bet You that old man is not a Niger deltan

What do you yorubas take us in the ND for?

Was there not a militant struggle to control our resources ?

Why are you yorubas deluding yourselves with this one nijeriya rubish?

The clamour for resource control by the ND if not met will lead to succession.

It is your call.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by anochuko01(m): 5:42pm On Nov 25, 2015
likila:

I'm from delta state too, but its not possible the nation concedes what generates about 90% of its revenue. what have we been doing with what we've been collecting from the federal government and the compensations from the multinationals.
if we're given more share of the oil money, those who have access to it would continue looting just like ibori, Alamieyeseigha etc.

the problem has always been lack of credible leaders, and not lack of resources.
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 25, 2015
RevDesmondJuju:

What do you yorubas take us in the ND for?

Was there not a militant struggle to control our resources ?

Why are you yorubas deluding yourselves with this one nijeriya rubish?

The clamour for resource control by the ND if not met will lead to succession.

It is your call.

mehn... i'm having a feeling like a yoruba dude snatched your bae... All i see is agony towards yoruba...

1 Like

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by lomprico(m): 5:55pm On Nov 25, 2015
If them give dem, dem go kii denselves finish.
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by alcmene: 5:59pm On Nov 25, 2015
sameer1212:

Mind you I am qualified to contest NL cutest guyz competition....

Back to the matter: If facial beauty should be the yardstick then Buhari and Obj should have no place in our political history

Dude think outside the box and stop chasing shadows

1 Like

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 25, 2015
alcmene:

Mind you I am qualified to contest NL cutest guyz competition....

Back to the matter: If facial beauty should be the yardstick then Buhari and Obj should have no place in our political history

Dude think outside the box and stop chasing shadows
Hahahaha... Dude You took it personal and that's not good. The insults were too much,not because he is our president but because is older enough to be our father. I know you won't be happy too if some insulted you Dad this way. Sorry for the way I reacted,I never mean to. You be really fine boy sir. cheesy cheers!
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by IGBOSON1: 6:06pm On Nov 25, 2015
likila:

^^^Hehehehe grin grin grin

Checkmate! shocked

4 Likes

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by tonychristopher: 7:01pm On Nov 25, 2015
Hmmmm this is the beginning of the end
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by MrAnalyst: 9:08pm On Nov 25, 2015
ticking:

True. A coward and an immature person.

1 Like

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by bugzbunny: 9:27pm On Nov 25, 2015
sameer1212:

Bloody terrorist...
Why attack d man... Counter his view let's see.... Illiterate...

4 Likes

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by bugzbunny: 9:35pm On Nov 25, 2015
anochuko01:

Cow brain.... Keep waiting for d passionate unbiased individual... The system is d prblm... Status quo suits d north... Freedom is fought and never given... Wake up
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by anochuko01(m): 10:23pm On Nov 25, 2015
bugzbunny:

Cow brain.... Keep waiting for d passionate unbiased individual... The system is d prblm... Status quo suits d north... Freedom is fought and never given... Wake up

you calling a fellow human ''cow brain'' tells a lot about you already. what is your type gonna do with freedom? mtcheeeew
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by Nobody: 11:01pm On Nov 25, 2015
bugzbunny:

Bloody terrorist...
Why attack d man... Counter his view let's see.... Illiterate...
Thunder fire your ashawo mama. No let me put this man united vex on your head o Put your ugly face let's see You the Biafra bastard
Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by bugzbunny: 11:15pm On Nov 25, 2015
sameer1212:
Thunder fire your ashawo mama. No let me put this man united vex on your head o Put your ugly face let's see You the Biafra bastard
Am glad you are seeing we hv nothing binding us...we hv nothing in common... Let's make it our duty to make sure we go our separate ways....

1 Like

Re: We Want 100 Percent Control, Ownership Of Our Oil – N/delta Group by hoobs(m): 11:19pm On Nov 25, 2015
Sleeping,please wake up wen those who call them selves Nigga-delta wakes up from their own dream

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senator Ben Bruce Murray Passes Two Bills. / TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook / Sucide Bomber Arrested Last Year Now A Rescued Chibok Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.