Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? (43348 Views)

Lai Mohammed Is A Gangster Minister And A Shameless Old Fool - FFK / 10 Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria. / Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by shiinihost: 6:10pm On Nov 28, 2015
tobimillar:

Do the fact that the Senate can summon the president, does that make a senator more powerful than the president?? NO...

Yes a minister can be summoned by the Senate, but not by a senator

the senators are the senate.
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by AmeLonRo(m): 6:15pm On Nov 28, 2015
I do not care who is more powerful. What I am interested in who is contributing more to the development of Nigeria. Not who is the richest or the poorest, or the most this or that. The right question should be who is the most productive?
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by ogunsbanjul(m): 6:17pm On Nov 28, 2015
A minister is more powerful than a senator. Senators only help the presidency to do screening for due process sake but senator can't sack minister. The impact of d minister is felt Whether positive or negative
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by Austin234(m): 6:39pm On Nov 28, 2015
A senator is a legislator while a minister is of presidency. Could d supremacy we talk about here financialy or constitutionaly.
Howbeit, i think a senator has an edge over a minister. Hence, a minister can be sacked and canot apply on a senator.
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by Meritocracy: 6:47pm On Nov 28, 2015
Sweetguy25:
When you say powerful, what exactly do you mean? Some Ministers have the power and authority to set policies and programmes that may have overreaching effects on our socioeconomic and political life. Okonjo Iweala was more powerful than any senator during her time. Same with Diezani. A CBN governor is not elected but he's more powerful than the senate president.
I totally disagree with you cos senators can make and break minister and can even impeach president. That was why they remove sanusi, even ministers are guided by law made by senators. Infact reps is more powerful than them let alone senators.
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by miqos02(m): 7:39pm On Nov 28, 2015
TeeOw:
Individually a wolf's bite force is just a little bit higher than that of a rottweiler dog BUT a wolf is usually a member of pack... this is just like a senator and the senate.... individually a senator is not so powerful, but when he gets the backing of the senate, a minister is in deep sh.it.

senate summons are constitutional provisions and every one respects that but outside that the minister is the boss
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by sharonbaron(m): 7:50pm On Nov 28, 2015
Both the minster and the governor are equal the minister has more access to the national cake than the senator a minister can decide not to reply to any summons by the senate however a senator may decide not to appropriate any money to the ministers ministry during budget approval you can help me by expanding this arguement I need to learn more

1 Like

Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by Adekunlemetals1(m): 7:58pm On Nov 28, 2015
[color=#006600][/color]In our world it's a different matter..
Worldofmetals.com.ng. .... a beautiful world[i][/i]
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by greggng: 8:28pm On Nov 28, 2015
The only difference is that one is a noise maker while the other is a yes or nil member. Make ur choice.
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by gfullmoon(m): 8:30pm On Nov 28, 2015
A Nigerian Senator is only greater than a Minister before their confirmation. Once a Minister is confirmed in Nigeria he's greater than a Senator,forget Senators summoning Minister-Nigerian Senate summons Minister just to ask them- man why are you eating alone without throwing a little Ghana-must-go for us?Come and explain to us why or do the ''needful'' give us our little share. Ministers head Ministry and have unbridled access to public fund,award contracts,wine and dine with the President,and if the president happens to be someone like GEJ you can make money rain with your family,friends,boys etc holding the Umbrella.
Economically Ministerial Portofolio is more lucrative than Senate because except the Senate President,his Deputy other Senators don't see mega money outside political hustling which is not limited to Committee level runs and summoning Ministers etc.
Senate only advantage over Minister is security of tenure only.
Compare when Chief Mrs Stella Odua was a Minister and now a Senator ect and understands what am talking about.
For eg, If Mr Labaran Maku,Okonjo Iweala etc and a former or current Senator is contesting for a new political post the Former Minister or current Minister is easily more bankable politically.
So Ministers are more politically exposed than Senators because they're Constituencyless i.e their Constituency is the whole country while Senators represents a portion of their state.
That's why most politicians ''retire'' to the Senate which most State Governors that looted their state dry are ''comfortably'' enjoying.

1 Like

Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by afoo02(m): 8:43pm On Nov 28, 2015
mentorken05:
In as much as I have my own candid opinion,i noticed that other people`s opinion differs.
I personally think that an elected senator is more powerful than an appointed minister(with all things being equal) but also I figured out that here in Nigeria, things are somehow different with regards to a minister having more than one portfolios.
Please fellow nairalanders who do you think Is more powerful

Moderator please I need to get as much response as possible
Cc lalasticlala
. Which house is supreme? The house of senates or the house of reps?
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by mikolo80: 8:49pm On Nov 28, 2015
jaykaylegend:
Ministers can be sacked
Ministers are answerable to the C in C
Ministers are appointed not voted

Senators approves/confirms ministers
Senators can't be sacked
Senators are not answerable to anybody (even the senate president)
Senators amake laws
Senators are the upper lawmakers

Now answer your question yourself
Who is more powerful
who controls more resources
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by mikolo80: 8:50pm On Nov 28, 2015
nwadiuko1:
when you say powerful do you mean financial power or constitutional power?
you low that kind thing
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by mikolo80: 8:52pm On Nov 28, 2015
realborn:
Under past administrations - Ministers. They had near absolute authority over expenditure of allocated billions.

This new administration - Senators. They seem more ready to put every one under check. I doubt Bubu will also give room for Ministers to show themselves.

However, an excellent Minister will make greater impact than an excellent Senator. Ministers can conceive and implement great ideas. Senators can drive passage of good policies and Bills for signing into law by the President!
cos you've never seen an excellent senator. all depends on how you choose to use your powers of spending or oversight
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by mikolo80: 8:54pm On Nov 28, 2015
if the minister say no and a popular senator on his committee follow am him go know say check and balance de
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by nwadiuko1(m): 9:08pm On Nov 28, 2015
Chuksdede:

sir why do u think that the governors that has completed their 8 years tenure struggle for the senatorial seats that is because senators are powerful both financially and otherwise....maybe in other countries ministers may be more powerful but so far as naija is concerned a senator will always have an upper hand than a minister
governors go there to avoid probe not NECESSARILY because of money
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by opportunity0101(m): 9:10pm On Nov 28, 2015
mentorken05:
In as much as I have my own candid opinion,i noticed that other people`s opinion differs.
I personally think that an elected senator is more powerful than an appointed minister(with all things being equal) but also I figured out that here in Nigeria, things are somehow different with regards to a minister having more than one portfolios.

Cc lalasticlala
pls don't bring this kind of debate down here for your notice any elected person is more powerful than any political appointee. Shekena!!
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by 1Segzy: 9:15pm On Nov 28, 2015
Ministers are more powerful. They can steal more money

1 Like

Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 28, 2015
boss? a minister can be fired by the president if he wakes up on the wrong side of the bed... a senator cannot be fired or voted out.... tongue

miqos02:
senate summons are constitutional provisions and every one respects that but outside that the minister is the boss
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by Chuksdede(m): 9:21pm On Nov 28, 2015
nwadiuko1:
ok i see sir
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by tofolo(m): 9:22pm On Nov 28, 2015
In Universities who approves results? D Senate. Same as Nigeria d senate are law makers and can call any minister to book.
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by Chuksdede(m): 9:30pm On Nov 28, 2015
nwadiuko1:
ok agreed but senators are powerful
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by nwadiuko1(m): 9:49pm On Nov 28, 2015
Chuksdede:
ok agreed but senators are powerful
that was never in doubt
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by Chuksdede(m): 9:56pm On Nov 28, 2015
nwadiuko1:
that was never in doubt
cool!! The air has been cleared
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by mentorken05(m): 10:10pm On Nov 28, 2015
jaykaylegend:
Ministers can be sacked

Senators can't be sacked
Senators amake laws

Who is more powerful
financially,who do u think is more powerful?
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by mentorken05(m): 10:12pm On Nov 28, 2015
nwadiuko1:
when you say powerful do you mean financial power or constitutional power?
both of them but IMO I think a minister is more powerful financially
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by mentorken05(m): 10:15pm On Nov 28, 2015
CACAWA:
a local govt chairman was also elected, so what is your point?

A minister is more powerful than a senator. A minister represents the president. His opinion makes impact, while a senator needs to team up with majority of his colleagues to make anymeaningfulimpact.

A minister is at par with a state governor...a minister controls several agencies of govt and can determine how much of federal presence any state would feel. Many state governors have to seek approval from ministers before downing any project. For example, to build a road anywhere, you need approval from ministry of environment, ministry of housing, ministry of works and ministry of lands. If a finance minister says NO, you can't even collect state loans. Who controls CBN?

A state has three senators, just one governor, and just one minister.

A minister also controls financial power...all a senator has is his salary and allowance.

Finally, a minister is a principal member of the executive while a senator may not even be a principal member of the senate.

QED
I think u re onpoint...tanx for the headsup
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by jaykaylegend(m): 10:17pm On Nov 28, 2015
mentorken05:
financially,who do u think is more powerful?
with senators wardrobe allowance??
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by mentorken05(m): 11:02pm On Nov 28, 2015
jaykaylegend:
with senators wardrobe allowance??
ofcourse
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by Nobody: 12:40am On Nov 29, 2015
mentorken05:

Cc lalasticlala

Dont compare noisemakers with any other person.
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by Lordave: 1:00am On Nov 29, 2015
jaykaylegend:
Ministers can be sacked

Senators can't be sacked
Senators amake laws

Who is more powerful
Who said so?

If every Nigerian knows his/her rights, you'd have known that you and your kinsmen can 'Recall' your constituency.
Re: Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? by essemdeey350(m): 8:14am On Nov 29, 2015
Majority of Nairalanders have misinterpreted this question.
Remember the question is an agitation between a senator and a minister and not senators and a minister; senators and ministers; ministers and a senator. There will be different answers for each case

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Soldiers Kill Boko Haram Terrorists In Arege, Borno. Recover Weapons (Photos) / Halimat Buhari And Husband Muhammed-Sheriff At Her Graduation Dinner / Nigeria Will Be Livable If All State Capitals Can Be Like Enugu-pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.