Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" (10231 Views)

Igbo Kwenu! Kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Igbo Kwenu! kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/Lady / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by freed(m): 3:57pm On May 27, 2009
your meant TO SAY "NDI BEANYI EKENE M UNU!!" "CHA CHA CHA IGBO KWENU" IS STRICKLY FOR THE MEN,
its an abominaton to say so, you need to respect culture
you are also not supposed to eat "Eke Okuko" (gizzards),"Nti nana ewu", "Akpu Oru Okuko" (the anus of the fowl).
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Nobody: 4:57pm On May 27, 2009
lol.
i co-sign threadstarter's comments.

i also think it is a taboo for women to serve kolanut.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 27, 2009
OMO IBO:

lol.
i co-sign threadstarter's comments.

i also think it is a taboo for women to serve kolanut.
Lol why? cheesy
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 27, 2009
Cha cha cha Igbo kwenu!!! Bite me!!!

You can relish the anus of a fowl, but I will most definitely eat gizzards!!! Bite me!!! tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by nwakaibe(m): 5:48pm On May 27, 2009
stillwater:

You can relish the anus of a fowl, but I most definitely eat gizzards!!! Bite me!!! tongue tongue tongue tongue

As an Ichie, I pronounce you guilty of desecrating our valued traditions and laid down laws. sad sad angry angry You are hereby fined one full grown cock(oke okpa), seven colanuts(oji ugo), one jar of palmwine and seven yards of white linen to cleanse the land. Bring these items to our Ichie meeting place and we will perform the cleansing rituals for you. How can you eat gizzards and ike okuko. Tufiakwa, aru emeh!
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Nobody: 6:07pm On May 27, 2009
You and who chop ike okuko? I said you guys can have that. But as for gizzards, I'll eat it to my satisfaction!!! Bite me!!! grin tongue

The only reason I don't eat kolanuts is because it tastes like sawdust. If not . . . tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by asha80(m): 6:23pm On May 27, 2009
stillwater:

You and who chop ike okuko? I said you guys can have that. But as for gizzards, I'll eat it to my satisfaction!!! Bite me!!! grin tongue

The only reason I don't eat kolanuts is because it tastes like sawdust. If not . . . tongue tongue tongue tongue

angry tongue
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by sosisi(f): 6:32pm On May 27, 2009
But it's true,a woman never chants cha cha cha Igbo kwenu
NEVER!
If she gets up to talk in a meeting,she only says ndewo nu  o or dalu nu o
never Igbo kwenu!
And a woman never ever serves kolanut neither is a woman ever called up to handle kolanut affairs from the blessings to the "iwelu Oji" in the traditional sense.
She only partakes after the breaking of the kolanut when it's being shared.
The oldest man in the gathering is the one to do the kolanut "rituals" and always has to speak in Igbo and the youngest man is called upon to cut up and share the kolanut.
The "eke okuko" thing was traditional in my house, my dad ate it together with the bulbous thing at the rear and of course a thigh or 2.
The first son eats the head and the first daughter eats the neck, the mother eats the bony hip.
That is traditional Igbo culture grin
the women and children get the worst parts of the chicken shocked shocked shocked
I doubt if people are strict about that nowadays

1 Like

Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ifyalways(f): 7:07pm On May 27, 2009
I wonder who told u guys that its forbidden for a woman to break and serve Kolanut in the presence of a man in the whole of igboland
In Onitsha,Anambra state,there is a chieftancy title for women know as Igba odu
Now,when a woman gets that,she can break kolanuts in the presence of non-red capped men.Plus nne-mmanwu too dey break kola.
Agreed,women dont say Igbo kwenu xcept on NL  cheesy
i dont joke with the gizzard,my hubby have learnt to leave it for after so many attempts.I need it more than he does and once my kids grow,it becomes their birthright.IT might be reserved for the man of the house culturally but i bet most homes dont pratice that anymore  undecided
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by AloyEmeka9: 7:09pm On May 27, 2009
Lol why?
A woman neither serves nor bless and break kolanuts in igboland. Even when it's  women's meeting, they normally invite any male figure around even if he is 4 years old to help them break the kolanut. That is tradition for you wink wink
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by AloyEmeka9: 7:10pm On May 27, 2009

I wonder who told u guys that its forbidden for a woman to break and serve Kolanut in the presence of a man.
In Onitsha,Anambra state,there is a chieftancy title for women know as Igba odu
Now,when a woman gets that,she can break kolanuts in the presence of non-red cap-ped men.Plus nne-mmanwu too dey break kola.
You are a bloody liar. Go and ask questions about Igba Odu well before writing nonsense here.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ifyalways(f): 7:16pm On May 27, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

You are a bloody liar. Go and ask questions about Igba Odu well before writing nonsense here.
i wont argue with u.u are a nobody when it comes to Onitsha customs and rites.U have lied b4 abt Onistha having just 2 ruling families,why shld i even be bothered? cheesy
If u cant stand what i have written u can hug the nearest transformer for ur ends.
Ozu can beer.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by AloyEmeka9: 7:20pm On May 27, 2009
I'd rather not dignify this nonsense you are spewing here with a reply. Just shut up if you know nothing about a culture. I am done with you.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ifyalways(f): 7:22pm On May 27, 2009
Aloy,i said and repeat,feel free to hug the nearest transformer for ur ends.Anu mpam
who send u before?
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ifyalways(f): 8:01pm On May 27, 2009
Still abt Kolanuts cheesy
In some parts of Igboland eg Anambra,Enugu its the oldest man in the gathering that breaks the Kola while in other parts eg Imo and Abia,its the youngest man that breaks kola.
In any gathering when the Kola is presented and there is any Arochukwu cool or Nri male around,irrespective of his age,the Kola is presented to him to break.
In some parts its forbidden to break the kola in the presence of ur in-law.
Lastly,u dont handle the kola with the left hand.
Kolanutology cheesy

1 Like

Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ezeagu(m): 8:28pm On May 27, 2009
I've always noticed this, oh well

stillwater:

You can relish the anus of a fowl, but I most definitely eat gizzards!!! Bite me!!! tongue tongue tongue tongue

Are you Igbo? If you don't respect your own culture who will?
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by freed(m): 9:43pm On May 27, 2009

You can relish the anus of a fowl, but I most definitely eat gizzards!!! Bite me!!!

will you shut up angry
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Nobody: 12:55am On May 28, 2009
Shut me up. cheesy Cha cha cha Igbo kwenu. tongue

ezeagu:

I've always noticed this, oh well

Are you Igbo? If you don't respect your own culture who will?

Ezeagu will.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Sauron1: 12:58am On May 28, 2009
stillwater:

Shut me up. cheesy Cha cha cha Igbo kwenu. tongue

Ezeagu will.

Stillwater, respect your culture o before they turn you to an Osu woman. cheesy
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Nobody: 1:02am On May 28, 2009
~Sauron~:

You are not serious. Ti n ba mu e . . . grin
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Sauron1: 1:13am On May 28, 2009
stillwater:

Ooooops, ma bad!!!!
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by sosisi(f): 2:04am On May 28, 2009
~Sauron~:

be quiet before I eat you grin
and use your jewels for ngwo ngwo with utazi
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Abagworo(m): 2:29am On May 28, 2009
everyone here is making great mistakes.igbo culture varies and we should therefore not only believe in ours.ada n'eri ukwu anu,nna erie eke okuko-1st daughter eats the waist while daddy eats the gizzard and tail.mother and children eat the most useful parts.ie laps & wings while opara eats the ribs.i've also noticed people writing igbo in anambra dialect which is wrong.its ekele and not ekene.iwere orji not iwelu oji.anyways it varies from town to town and thats the beauty of igbo language and culture.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by nwauwa(m): 9:47am On May 28, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Lies
you are hereby declared chief Ignoramus 1 of Nairaland and wear it with
Abagworo:

everyone here is making great mistakes.igbo culture varies and we should therefore not only believe in ours.ada n'eri ukwu anu,nna erie eke okuko-1st daughter eats the waist while daddy eats the gizzard and tail.mother and children eat the most useful parts.ie laps & wings while opara eats the ribs.i've also noticed people writing igbo in anambra dialect which is wrong.its ekele and not ekene.iwere orji not iwelu oji.anyways it varies from town to town and thats the beauty of igbo language and culture.
Thank you
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ifyalways(f): 2:09pm On May 28, 2009
nwa-uwa:

you are hereby declared chief Ignoramus 1 of Nairaland and wear it with pride.
calling someone a liar for what is actually true and adding bloddy to it shows you might never wake up from your stupid stupor.Women with odu titles in Onitsha break Kolanuts.
rofl  cheesy
I na atupuru Ikwikwi ogbe- oye onu  cheesy .Imagining him trying to lecture me abt Onitsha customs is just giving me laffs.If only he has an iota of idea of what it takes to get just ofu odu,or odu aka nli not to talk of odu aka na ukwu he wont even dare to question what i said.
@Abagworo,thank u jare.help me educate our people ooooo.lol
Our culture varies from place to place.
Theres no place in igbo land as of now,where women get "odu" titles,am even yet to hear of "nne-mmanwu" queen mother of masquerades with very noticeable and important roles attached in any other part of igboland except Onitsha.Soon,am gonna get my odu(hands and legs) and come break Kola for Aloy the slowpoke  cheesy
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Abagworo(m): 2:39pm On May 28, 2009
Actually there are places with female priests while its forbidden in others.agbogho monwu(female masquerade) exists in orsu area.an influential woman does break kola while an uninfluential man might end up breaking kola only in his own home.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ifyalways(f): 2:47pm On May 28, 2009
lol
Abagworo,am not talking abt female masquerades.Nne mmanwu in Onitsha actually is not a masquerade but she controls certain masquerades.shes quite influential,certain masquerades leave from her house,they hold mmanwu meetings in her place and she keeps most of the mmanuw gear and costume.shes got other roles which makes her influential and popular.
Like,i said,the titled woman breaks Kola when their is NO titled man around.
Obviously,Aloy is a non-titled slowpoke so am gonna break kolanuts on his head and face soon.  cheesy
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by presido1: 3:52pm On May 28, 2009
Ify and nwa-uwa those women can break cola only when they are in the mist of onitcha people. She cannot break that colanut in Nnewi or Obosi but a man from Nnewi can break colanut in Onitcha. Did u guys spot the diff. Itz not Igbo tradition for a woman to break colanut.

Ify the youngest don't break the cola in Imo(Orlu in Particular). Its done by the eldest but the eldest can give it to any one to break after blessing it.(Oku agunyere nwata na aka anaghi ahu ya)

As par eating the gizzard when we travel to my village, any gizzard from the fowl goes to my Dad's uncle unless hez not in town then my old boy arrange the stuff. First daughter eats the hip(Ukwu) then mum and we go arrange the other part as we wish. During exmas or Easther when everybody is ahome any ntata they kill in ma martanal home comes to our house direct.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by sosisi(f): 4:59pm On May 28, 2009
can she say ndi be anyi jidekwanu k'unu ji?
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ezeagu(m): 6:05pm On May 28, 2009
stillwater:

Oh, phew, God is good, for a minute I thought you might have been Igbo. What was I thinking? grin
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Sauron1: 6:36pm On May 28, 2009
$osisi:

be quiet before I eat you grin
and use your jewels for ngwo ngwo with utazi

$Osisi, you don't have a prayer.
I am marrying a woman from your village so be prepared for more ngwo ngwo with utazi. grin grin
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 28, 2009
Abagworo:

Why can't you write in Anambala dialect? grin I don't blame you guys anyway Awka people talk as if they have hot pounded yam in their mouths. cheesy

ezeagu:

Oh, phew, God is good, for a minute I thought you might have been Igbo. What was I thinking? grin

Pele you thought wrong again. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Argument: Are African Americans Their Own Ethnic Group? I Say Yes. / Eke Day Prayer With Kolanut(oji Igbo) For Progress / Let Us Discuss About Anunuebe, The Mysterious Tree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.