Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,123 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches (29326 Views)

Nigerian Uses Signpost, Tells Churches That Schools Owned By Them Should Be Free / Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? / What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Lionize: 1:46pm On Nov 30, 2015
Although it is One's fundamental right to choose to worship any being he/she desires, we know in this part of the world, one is actually subjected, or cajoled to worship the same God One's parents worship.

It is better to cajole or coerce One than meting out the capital punishment. It is very bad and wicked of those who go as far as killing their own who Port place/object of worship.

My question is: If you actually know you are heading to heaven and unbelievers/infidels are on their way to hell, why would you kill the unbeliever/infidel for not worshipping what you worship? You intend sending him/her to hell quicker than he/she wanted? Funny.

Oftentimes you see young people leave the churches where their parents worship to other churches; many for different reasons.

I am not saying that porting church is bad or sinful, after all, if you are not being spiritually fulfilled where you are, you seek fulfillment elsewhere. But, most of this young people leave because of ulterior reasons. Here are some of those as I have observed:

[b1. Spiritual Fulfillment:[/b]

Some people leave their family churches because they are not spiritually fulfilled where they are. Some feel they don't receive the word of God as they should and so they port to where they feel God would speak to them more clearly.

2. Miracles:

For those that do not know they can make miracles happen themselves, they port to a church where it happens if it doesn’t where he/she worships, not minding if the miracles are real or fake, if they have to pay stiff prices or not. From the search for husband, wealth, to the search for babies. Name them. You all know what I’m talking about here, so help me site some examples please.

3. Social reasons:

Many young people, or even some adults after attaining some social status, see their parents’ churches as ‘Old School”, and thus want to move to where their likes are, where it’s “happening”. For instance, guys who want to perm their hair would not remain in an Anglican, Catholic or Deeper Life church; you know where they would gravitate to.

4. Cover-up:

Many young people actually leave their original churches because they want to have the liberty to live in sin while inside the church. Yes, I just wrote that. Since their parent’s presence in the same church wouldn’t give them that chance, they seek where they can hide and do what they want. We know some guys go to church just because they want to woo a lady.

But the question is: must you go to church?

Remember, Galatians 6.7 says “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he
also reap.”

5. Marriage:

This mostly applies to ladies. When some ladies, after looking around their church and concluding that there are no eligible man that suits their taste, they seek where they would have options. I know a lady who was doing well and was in a church that forbids their members from marrying from outside the church. O Boy, when time kept moving only in clockwise direction without a pause, she ported. The rest was history.

6 Material Benefits:

I once went visiting and spent some few days with some boys in Kaduna, somewhere around a place called “Television”. I was surprised when one of the boys came back from church one Sunday with raw rice and other food ingredients. He said it was so in that church once in a while, and that had attracted him to the church. This was a boy who smoked wee-wee like he wouldn’t have Oxygen to live on without it.

There are many other reasons, but let me not bore you further for now.

Advise: If you want to serve God, serve Him in Spirit and in Truth (see John 4.23-24)

Parents should still ensure they put in eye in the affairs of their kids irrespective of where they worship. It is your responsibility to bring up your child in the way the child should go.

Shalom!

http://www.obitteleo..com.ng/2015/11/church-porting.html

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by viclawz(m): 2:28pm On Nov 30, 2015
Very true
Am guilty of number 4

1 Like

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by kristen12(f): 2:33pm On Nov 30, 2015
Had to leave my parents church because I have sooo many questions and they cannot answer it. Nobody questions the authority there else, you'll be tagged rebellious.

I attend my new church for spiritual fulfillment.

16 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Blizzy9ja: 3:20pm On Nov 30, 2015
Some churches today are disconnected from the present generation thats why they cannot reach them.

The problem with many churches and pastors is that they are disconnected from this generation, they don't speak their language, they don't even understand what appeals to this generation and that's why they cannot reach them - Pastor Lanre Oluseye, HOTRphc

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Lionize: 6:15pm On Nov 30, 2015
Blizzy9ja:
Some churches today are disconnected from the present generation that why they cannot reach them

The problem with many churches and pastors is that they are disconnected from this generation, they don't speak their language, they don't even understand what appeals to this generation and that's why they cannot reach them - Pastor Lanre Ogunseye, HOTRphc

You may be right. But could you mention some of those areas where these 'disconnections' occur?

5 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Blizzy9ja: 7:07pm On Nov 30, 2015
Lionize:

You may be right. But could you mention some of those areas where these 'disconnections' occur?
A lot of pastors don't try to find out what young people are listening, they dont pay attention to how they dress, whats going on in the world around them and dat make them lacking in content

The church needs to evolve without bringing in worldliness.

4 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Lionize: 7:18pm On Nov 30, 2015
Blizzy9ja:
A lot of pastors don't try to find out what young people are listening, they dont pay attention to how they dress, whats going on in the world around them and dat make them lacking in content

The church needs to evolve without bringing in worldliness.

I would appreciate a specific instance as to the listening part and what the pastor should do. For the dressing, the pastor would preach against indecency, hence the young people would run where they are allowed to "come as they are".

3 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Lionize: 7:19pm On Nov 30, 2015
viclawz:
Very true

Am guilty of number 4

Hahahahaha. I bet many are.
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Lionize: 7:20pm On Nov 30, 2015
kristen12:
Had to leave my parents church because I have sooo many questions and they cannot answer it. Nobody questions the authority there else, you'll be tagged rebellious.

Have you ever engaged your leaders on some of those issues? Could you share some of such questions?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Blizzy9ja: 7:54pm On Nov 30, 2015
Lionize:

I would appreciate a specific instance as to the listening part and what the pastor should do. For the dressing, the pastor would preach against indecency, hence the young people would run where they are allowed to "come as they are".
christains can still dress well, look trendy and at the same time decent... I dont want to be misquoted i can explain very well if u engage me in a personal conversation.

1 Like

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by viclawz(m): 9:22pm On Nov 30, 2015
Lionize:

Hahahahaha. I bet many are.
cheesy cheesy
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by kristen12(f): 11:37pm On Nov 30, 2015
Lionize:

Have you ever engaged your leaders on some of those issues? Could you share some of such questions?
Yes I have.

Questions about doctrines especially.
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Lionize: 7:50am On Dec 01, 2015
kristen12:

Yes I have.

Questions about doctrines especially.

You know you have to support your position with the Bible.
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by ruffhandu: 10:34am On Dec 02, 2015
Some hide away from being noticed and burdened with responsibilities.
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 03, 2015
Port
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by PLANETMARS(m): 8:24am On Dec 13, 2015
Most churches are business center....last sunday I walked out on a church because I came to worship not trade my money for blessings.

10 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by iteleaye(m): 8:24am On Dec 13, 2015
Left to me, the only reason i will want to leave my parents church is cause of the fine shawties in other churches or the alibi to lie when i dont go to church and they ask me... But if you will follow the later, make sure you scatter your shirts ion your room and place your shoe outside...
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by ggrin(f): 8:24am On Dec 13, 2015
Girls pasture gringringrin
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by onosprince(m): 8:24am On Dec 13, 2015
Imagine your parents church is deeper life, no swag just some boring people, and you were invited to christ embassy. From the gate young sweet ushers will bring you in, you look at your front, come and see sweet choir girls, look back sef all the girls looking sweet, Pastor climb alter with his jerry curl smiling anyhow, you look where pastor was seated, see he beautiful wife... it's enough for a young man to port, me I no dey shame, I don port tire.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Nobody: 8:24am On Dec 13, 2015
The church doesn't allow us wear TROUSER grin

2 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Hollawaley(m): 8:25am On Dec 13, 2015
The Vigilante Is Coming
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Rexphobia(m): 8:26am On Dec 13, 2015
I left because the church was suffering from strategic drift. They are struck in the past and have failed to move into this new dynamic environment.

They can provide real life answers to questions that bother the youths of this generation.

For instance;

1. Why can't some people speak in tongue?
2. How to handle your love life as they believe you should not be dating. The only relationship you are allowed to go into is courtship.

2 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by lalasticlala(m): 8:26am On Dec 13, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
The church doesn't allow us wear TROUSER grin

grin
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Mintayo(m): 8:26am On Dec 13, 2015
Because their parents churches speak the truth, tell them what they should hear, not what they want to hear. So many churches today are speaking what the congregation want to hear not the other way round.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by nnamdibig(m): 8:27am On Dec 13, 2015
kristen12:

Have you been able to question the authorities of your new church?
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by yorex2011: 8:27am On Dec 13, 2015
nowadays people are more concerned about the word "church" than the word "christianity". . . why is that?

2 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by M4gunners: 8:29am On Dec 13, 2015
So real expecially number 5.As for me i always go to Church that will close early latest before 12:30 ,so i can come back and watch Matches. Like today game Villa vs Arsenal, only God knows if i will step out of my door today.

3 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by singlefade25(f): 8:30am On Dec 13, 2015
hmmmmmm
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Timoleon(m): 8:31am On Dec 13, 2015
All these lists sef! everybody na expert. no be onething go carry person enter church before?
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Odunharry(m): 8:31am On Dec 13, 2015
Mintayo:
Because their parents churches speak the truth, tell them what they should hear, not what they want to hear. So many churches today are speaking what the congregation want to hear not the other way round.
agree...

number 3 is one common reason people do
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by tpraiz(m): 8:33am On Dec 13, 2015
Am planning to port from my parents church o

But @least after graduating plus NYSC......make them pay my school fee first grin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pastor Kenneth Eze, His Wife & 2 Children Die In Lagos Fire (Photos) / Dead Man Revived By Bishop Oyedepo's Prophetic Mantle - Faith Tabernacle Press / Seven Things A Christian Must Never Do Because Of Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.