Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,043 members, 7,799,528 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode (36275 Views)

Qatar Is Ready For "Qatar 2022" World Cup (Photos Of Stadiums) / "I Am Glad I Dumped Nigeria For Bahrain" - Salwa Naser Who Won Medal In London / Michael Babatunde Signs For Qatar SC In $3.2m Deal (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by robosky02(m): 4:59pm On Nov 30, 2015
The year 2015 has been quite eventful in athletics and one of the names that rang the bells in the course of the year was Femi Ogunode, an athlete of Nigerian origin who now competes for Qatar. Ogunode, now dubbed Asia’s fastest man, was also voted athlete of the year from the largest continent in the world.

However, not many people know that Ogunode has tried his hands on a couple of other sports before sticking with athletics. In this interview with PREMIUM TIMES’ Tunde Eludini, Ogunode tells his grass to grace story even as he sets high targets for himself at next year’s Olympic Games.

Can we meet you?

I am Femi Seun Ogunode, the fastest man in Asia.

Let us into your background.

First of all, I want to thank God, my family, my son and wife and I want to thank my friends and fans that support me. I did not just drop down from heaven to become the fastest man in Asia, but I started from somewhere, from Ondo state. I started as a footballer, then moved to boxing before I found my calling in athletics. Because of the politics of everything in Nigeria, I could not go far in football. I had no godfather and this in turn caused me not to get playing time, therefore opportunities to show my talent was really rare, I was a striker in those days. That discouraged me and I decided to try another sport.

What inspired you to pursue a career in football?

I had always had love for sports and my father was very encouraging. He told me, ‘Femi, you can be anything you want to be’ and he gave me his support when I decided I wanted to become a footballer. However I made no headway in that sport. A coach however saw me one day and advised me to pursue athletics as a career because I was a very fast runner in the time I was a striker then with nucleus Academy in Lagos, I also played with Pepsi Academy.

Give us more insight into your foray into boxing.

I got involved in boxing majorly because my father was a boxer in the army, and I decided to follow in his footsteps. I was involved in boxing for about a year but I could not endure it all. I also did not want my face to be damaged, so I decided to enter into athletics as I was earlier advised.

Shed more light as you made your first entry into athletics.

I got into athletics with the help of my uncle. His name is Segun. After I left Lagos, I went back to my home town, Oka Akoko. Segun then told me of an athletics coach who was in Akure and asked if I was interested in joining him. I readily accepted and that was how I started training with Coach Lawrence in Akure.

What was your parents’ reaction?

My parents were supportive and helped me pursue my dreams. Though they wanted all their children to pursue education, they knew from early on that I was more interested in sports. It was even my mum who helped me get my first spikes.

What gave you the conviction to remain in athletics?

The conviction to remain in athletics came in the third week I attended state trials then and I came in second and everyone wanted to know the newcomer who came to usurp the more experienced runners and that made me decide to try and give my best in athletics.

What was your first major victory as an athlete?

My first major victory was at the Obafemi Awolowo U18 Championship in Ibadan. After I won, I was like yeah now, we are getting somewhere.

Who is your driving force?

My dad. He was very supportive, always encouraging me to pursue my dreams. Though he died last year, I still hear his voice encouraging me and that has kept me going. Three of us are in sports and my younger brother is the record holder for 60 meters in Asia and the other one is involved in the decathlon also for Qatar.

How did you get into representing Qatar?

I was supposed to represent Nigeria at the Beijing 2008 Olympics, however due to some manoeuvres that I could not understand I was dropped from the team. Prior to that I had qualified to represent Nigeria at the All African Games in Algiers but some politicking ensured that I was dropped from the team despite making the trials. These acts were discouraging but I decided to keep on training and working hard because who knows, I could be favoured by one of the powers that be in the future. My dad was also a great source of encouragement because he always told me to be the best that I could be despite whatever challenges that came my way.

One day, I got a mail from Qatar asking if I was interested in coming to their country and I said yes but told them I had no funds to move. They told me to send my passport and I was given passage to Qatar. The rest as they say is history as I became a Nigerian-Qatari.

How was it for you transitioning into your new country?

It was not a hard thing to adjust when I got to Qatar. I try as much as possible to adapt to whatever new place in get to, immersing myself into the culture, that way, I am better focused for the task ahead.

Can you please give as a recap of how the season was for you?

My season went well. After the Asian Championships however I suffered injury that laid me up for a while. I was only able to return to training three weeks to the World Championships and that was why it seems I did not do as well in that event. I am.

Why Femi Ogunode Foundation?

I believe in giving back to people. While I was growing up I saw how we young athletes suffered to make headway in athletics. Nobody gave us a chance to showcase our talent. Last year, I thought within myself that it was time to give back to the society especially the young athletes as it seems that the body in charge of athletics here in Nigeria has better things to do than develop the sport at the grassroots level. So I decided that if I start this foundation, I will be helping athletics at the grassroots level.

What is your evaluation of the maiden edition?

I saw that many would be the future of Nigeria if programmes are organised to help them develop the potential they have. If they can keep them together and organise training camps for them, they will shine at the world stage.

What are the plans for the event?

The plan is to keep some of the best talents together and ready for competitions in the future. It is one thing to recognise talent, it is another thing to develop them. What our foundation will try to do is help nurture the talent we see.

What setbacks have you had and how were hey overcome?

I have a mentality that says if you want to succeed, you must face challenges head on and overcome them. This has been my policy and this has helped in such a way that instead of challenges being setbacks, they have become stepping stones to greater things because I do not give up.

What is your take on athletes that dumped Nigeria but are coming back to give back to the society?

I will advise that they follow their heart and do what they want to do. They should not listen to side talks because no matter what you do people will always talk. I, for one, do not listen to what people say because no matter what you do, you will be criticised. If that is then going to be the case is it not better you please your conscience?

If Nigeria fails to respect athletes and give them their due in terms of training, camps etc, they will find out more and more people switching allegiance and going to represent some other country.

What is your target in Rio 2016?

My target is to get gold at the Olympics. Yes I know the world’s best will be present, Usain Bolt and the others but I know with hard work and God on my side, I can shock the world.

Thank you for your time.

The pleasure was mine. Thanks.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/sports-features/193998-interview-why-i-dumped-nigeria-for-qatar-asias-fastest-man-ogunode.html

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by actoor(m): 5:01pm On Nov 30, 2015
Hin Life tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by Ginaz(f): 5:03pm On Nov 30, 2015
Nigeria eh, I don dey tire o cryNigeria eh, I don dey tire o

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by robosky02(m): 9:45am On Dec 01, 2015
Teewhy2:
In the nearest future whites will be begging to put on the green and white jersey of Nigeria in all competitions

. Thanks

yes in the future you said

9 Likes

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by kento12: 4:53pm On Dec 01, 2015
same story 4rm every sector of dis country... When will we ever get it right as a country?? God help nigeria....

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by Bonapart(m): 8:35pm On Dec 01, 2015
Guy go and sit down
Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by NinaTohBadt(f): 8:35pm On Dec 01, 2015
grin
Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 01, 2015
All lot a great athletes has turned down Nigeria,because they've all have been neglected by the government one way or the other.

40 Likes

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by damton(m): 8:36pm On Dec 01, 2015
h
Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by poshpappy(m): 8:37pm On Dec 01, 2015
wow!! ok
Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 01, 2015
Fvcking Nigeria and their Politics, I can never play for that Despicable shithole, how can a country play politics with raw talent like this lipsrsealed

Anyways, My coach in high school told me I was fast too that was how I swerved from Soccer to Track...FULL SCHOLARSHIP at University Of Texas before UMD poached me cool

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by shadrach77: 8:37pm On Dec 01, 2015
He can never feel fulfilled no matter what he achieves for Quatar cry cry cry

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by kennyman2000(m): 8:38pm On Dec 01, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by Adatob(m): 8:38pm On Dec 01, 2015
Choi! Naija ehn... It will be great soon
Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by melodyirish(m): 8:38pm On Dec 01, 2015
Very soon they will be dumping nigeria for BIAFRA cool cool

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by Badgers14: 8:39pm On Dec 01, 2015
If this fuel scarcity and irregular electricity persists, I might even consider changing my nationality grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 01, 2015
For your pocket,
Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by damola1: 8:40pm On Dec 01, 2015
Politics. by some fat baboon

4 Likes

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by Healthymee: 8:40pm On Dec 01, 2015
Hmmm, all the best guy.

Let me help you get rid of excessive weight naturally. Find out more: Call/WhatsApp 09031678330 now
Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by 4nobody4every1: 8:40pm On Dec 01, 2015
cool cool
Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by jhubril(m): 8:41pm On Dec 01, 2015
Dumping a country so clearly distinguished for its social injustice is a good riddance to rubbish. A country as badly run as ours keeps reminding of Achebe's There Was a Country.

13 Likes

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by ttmacoy: 8:41pm On Dec 01, 2015
Really?

But he would be fulfilled if he remained in Nigeria facing failed dreams and struggling right?

shadrach77:
He can never feel fulfilled no matter what he achieves for Quatar cry cry cry

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by Ismahill(m): 8:42pm On Dec 01, 2015
Iriri aye...... God bless our hustle.....

3 Likes

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by EagleScribes: 8:43pm On Dec 01, 2015
N wa o. I dey fear for naija commenters.

And those nairalanders yabbing this guy will be the first to jump at a free passage into Qatar if they are given the opportunity

Hypocrites!

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by imsuboi(m): 8:44pm On Dec 01, 2015
yoloba. **spits

4 Likes

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by telim: 8:45pm On Dec 01, 2015
Nothing works in these hell, see how qatar is claiming nigeria medals.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by Nimblemind(m): 8:46pm On Dec 01, 2015
Lucky dude... Abeg Qatar need footballers?

25 Likes

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 01, 2015
Can you blame him?

Smart choice!

2 Likes

Re: Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode by Hardeybohwarley(m): 8:48pm On Dec 01, 2015
Good for you bro...Yoruba's has been producing good ambassador of Nja since 18 century.... Sole..Fela...and others

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sporting CP To Rename Stadium CR7 In Honor Of Cristiano Ronaldo / Messi Accuses CONMEBOL Of Match Fixing And Corruption / Anthony Nwakaeme: Nigerian Player Giving Paralysed European Hope To Keep Living

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.