Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,860 members, 7,802,757 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:54 PM

Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. (4213 Views)

Abia State Commissions Seaport In Aba As First Ship Berths- Pictures / Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port / Do Not Turn Igboland To Syria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by Living4christ(m): 6:16pm On Dec 01, 2015
Igboland is not landlocked at all. By God’s special grace, we have an defunct ancient port in Abia State that if rebuilt can open up Igboland to international trade and the accompanying billions of dollars.

It is in the Obuaku, Ukwa West LGA, and the site lies by the Azumini River that flows into the Atlantic Ocean. And what is more, since it is just five nautical miles from the Ocean it qualifies technically as a seaport, not a river port, going by the UN’s laws.

Stalled Efforts To Dredge
Many administrations in the old Imo State and current Abia State stated their intentions to dredge that river to allow for ships to berth, but strangely something always seemed to stop them from completing it.
The truth is that dredging Azumini will cost a whole lot of money, but I would say I have not seen a serious effort to garner the money needed to dredge it.

Commercial Viability
There is no doubt about the commercial viability of the proposed Obuaku port, as the Igbos are a trading people.
If reestablished, it will not take much effort for the port to become a thriving commercial centre. Already, plans have been made for a planned city in Obuaku to be built to service the port, but it is still not yet operational.

Proximity To Other Ports
A lot of noise is also made by naysayers who don’t have Igbo interest at heart about the fact that the port is ’30′ minutes drive from the proposed Ibaka Seaport in Akwa Ibom State. These deceivers say it will be an erroneous duplication to build another port 30 minutes from the proposed Ibaka Seaport. But apart from the fact that there are many rich countries that have ports close to each other, the naysayers, whom I would prefer to call enemies of the Igbos do not know or are not willing to acknowledge the great commercial prowess of the Igbo.
If a port is built today at Obuaku, it will become an international hub, receiving goods directly from Japan, Germany, US, China and other industrialized nations. It will also promote trade withing the Gulf of Guinea with countries like Gabon, Sao Tome, and Equatorial Guinea.
And at the same time, neighboring ports like Ibaka, Calabar, PortHarcourt(Igwe Ocha), Bonny and Onne would not suffer but instead the resulting competition would create innovation and therefore increase in quality in these ports.

Whats Happening Now
The current Abia State Governor, Theodore Orji, has stated his commitment to build the Obuaku Port as a legacy of his administration, but one thing I regret is that this new initiative is coming about one year to the end of his administration, so I doubt if he will have the time to do much. I would have preferred a situation where he started this project long before now, considering the financial and other complexities of such a project.
So, what Ndigbo want from him as compensation is that he starts something significant quickly. Something that his successor will have no option but to complete.
The truth is that if we can build ports in Igboland and other parts of the Lower Niger like Ibaka, it will go a long way to turning the zonal economy and even Nigeria’s economy itself around. It will provide jobs, businesses, and boost international trade.

Another day, I’ll talk about another Igbo port; I mean Igwe Ocha also known as Port Harcourt. But for now, send me your thoughts and comments about how this port (Obuaku) can become a reality.
What do you think this port will mean to the Igbo economy? What do you think various Igbo stakeholders; the politicians, philanthropists, investors and you can do to make it come alive? Please drop your comment.

Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by freez2ryme(m): 6:54pm On Dec 01, 2015
Nice write up
This kind of write s what we need to prepare ourselves for d future
Well I think if government can't do it, it should be channelled to PPP arrangement
Whereby you dredge and collect tolls until u recoup ur expenses
D problem here Is dat d government in power will not even negotiate for it, since they want to keep igbo man dow, though they can't they can only try.
This where we join our hands and call the state Governments in d south east to exert pressure on the FG to opt for PPP arrangement,
I trust my Igbo brothers, many will be interested to invest.

3 Likes

Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by IGBOSON1: 7:03pm On Dec 01, 2015
With us still in Nigeria, and with the current Igbo-hating bigots sat in Aso Rock (ably supported by their southern allies)?.....Give me a break!

I would have even said there's a slim chance of it becoming a reality....that's if we didn't have the current crop of 'one Nigeria' loving, self-centred Igbo elite who don't know how to fight their corner and protect/project Igbo interests!

6 Likes

Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by madenigga(m): 8:30pm On Dec 01, 2015
IGBOSON1:
With us still in Nigeria, and with the current Igbo-hating bigots sat in Aso Rock (ably supported by their southern allies)?.....Give me a break!

I would have even said there's a slim chance of it becoming a reality....that's if we didn't have the current crop of 'one Nigeria' loving, self-centred Igbo elite who don't know how to fight their corner and protect/project Igbo interests!
what is urs is urs.
Nothing can change that.

1 Like

Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by lionness(f): 8:36pm On Dec 01, 2015
God will see your leaders through to deliver this wonderful project. This is what the Ibo nation should be after...create a solid economical region that will not be dependent on any of the madness called Nigeria...
Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by cjrane: 10:03pm On Dec 01, 2015
Watch how ab0kis and yoruba will throw obstacles in your way to make sure you are frustrated.

Forget Obiaku for now, we need Biafra.
We are tired of oppression and living with people who want us dead.
Even the military dictators did not treat Igboland as bad as Buhari and his northern compatriots are doing. They imagine we are too afraid to fight them. they will soon learn that they are the ones afraid of sending their sons to die in fighting for this Nigerian fire they are setting with impunity. i hope they got those British arms they are hoping for free of charge, because they will need tons upon tons of it in what is coming.

7 Likes

Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by kingzizzy: 12:59am On Dec 02, 2015
I heard that this Obuaku in Abia state is even closer to the sea than Porthacourt

1 Like

Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by backtosender: 1:10am On Dec 02, 2015
without biafra eastern region as a whole will never achieve seaport both in abia and calabar just watch and see in the next few years nothing will happen i dont no how some people can leave comfortable in a complex country like one nigeria that hamper their future economic growth is beyond me.They want their own children to suffer marginalization in that case we should all forget all these development we showcase in the east because the Zoo might turn to Libya in future every infrastructure will be destroyed once we still operate the same system in one nigeria is just a matter of time it will happen....if you like believe who you choose to believe already most part of the north is now a hostile region and you think it will not escalate remember even buhari well respected haus/fulani man by da northerners wast targeted before he become the president of the Zoo

1 Like

Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by bokohalal(m): 1:58am On Dec 02, 2015
River port, not sea port.
Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by obailala(m): 2:26am On Dec 02, 2015
cjrane:
Watch how ab0kis and yoruba will throw obstacles in your way to make sure you are frustrated.

Forget Obiaku for now, we need Biafra.
We are tired of oppression and living with people who want us dead.
Even the military dictators did not treat Igboland as bad as Buhari and his northern compatriots are doing. They imagine we are too afraid to fight them. they will soon learn that they are the ones afraid of sending their sons to die in fighting for this Nigerian fire they are setting with impunity. i hope they got those British arms they are hoping for free of charge, because they will need tons upon tons of it in what is coming.

Hahaha... Isnt this comment just ridiculous?... Buhari that has barely even started ruling, buhari's government that hasnt even awarded any contracts, yet you have already concluded him to be a leader who is treating Igboland worse than the military dictators did. This is a man that hasnt even started ruling.

Most of you guys are simply bloody disgruntled jonathanian wailers that have metamorphosed into Biafran separatists because jonathan lost an election. The bolded part of your statement says it all.

3 Likes

Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by neolboy(m): 2:48am On Dec 02, 2015
It open it
Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by omonnakoda: 11:48am On Feb 28, 2016
I understand there are plans for a major seaport in Abuja next year.Who knows the details
Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by udemzeus(m): 6:40pm On Feb 22, 2022
obailala:
Hahaha... Isnt this comment just ridiculous?... Buhari that has barely even started ruling, buhari's government that hasnt even awarded any contracts, yet you have already concluded him to be a leader who is treating Igboland worse than the military dictators did. This is a man that hasnt even started ruling.

Most of you guys are simply bloody disgruntled jonathanian wailers that have metamorphosed into Biafran separatists because jonathan lost an election. The bolded part of your statement says it all.

How far, now this is almost ten years, how has it been so far with Buhari

1 Like

Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by IGBOSON1: 7:14pm On Feb 22, 2022
So many prophetic analysis on this thread....including that of yours truly, if i don’t mind saying so myself! wink
Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by obailala(m): 7:20pm On Feb 22, 2022
udemzeus:

How far, now this is almost ten years, how has it been so far with Buhari
Buhari may have failed as a leader, but that does not invalidate anything I said there; every single thing I said in that statement you quoted is still valid till date.
Re: Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. by OBALOLA55(m): 7:31pm On Feb 22, 2022
lionness:
God will see your leaders through to deliver this wonderful project. This is what the Ibo nation should be after...create a solid economical region that will not be dependent on any of the madness called Nigeria...
shocked

WHERE ARE YOU FROM shocked

(1) (Reply)

River State Govenor Wike Looses Appeal / Angry Nigerians Blast Buhari To Return Nigeria To Where He Met It in 2015- Pics / IPOB Set To Make A Powerful Announcement That Will Shock Nigeria - Game Changer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.