Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,889 members, 7,806,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

State Of Emergency In Ekiti? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State Of Emergency In Ekiti? (4823 Views)

Fayose Dares Buhari On State Of Emergency In Ekiti, Rivers, Says It Won't Work / FG Lifts State Of Emergency In Four States / D.Mark Seeks Declaration Of State Of Emergency In Flooded Areas In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by donmayor(m): 8:15pm On Oct 18, 2006
Now we see OBJ is not committed to the rule of law. He does what he wants to do not the rule of law. The Niger-Delta requires a state of emergency but he is probably going to declare one in Ekiti if this report is true. Isn't there a court case already?

http://elendureports.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=282&Itemid=33
Written by Jonathan Elendu
Wednesday, 18 October 2006

The current impasse in Ekiti State may soon come to an end. Sources in Abuja, who spoke to Elendureports.com, on the condition that their names will not be mentioned in this story, informed us that the Federal Government is putting finishing touches to a solution to the Ekiti crisis. To that effect, according to our sources, a state of emergency in Ekiti State will soon be announced by the Federal Government.

Already, a retired military officer, Maj. Gen. Tunji Olurin, is being considered as the Administrator of Ekiti State when the state of emergency is announced. Gen. Olurin, according to our sources, spent most of yesterday at the Aso Rock Villa, Abuja. It is believed that he met with Pres. Olusegun Obasanjo.

The ongoing impasse was caused by the impeachment of Gov. Ayo Fayose, and his deputy, Biodun Olujimi, by the State House of Assembly. The State House of Assembly impeached the Governor and his deputy in a method that has been declared unconstitutional and illegal by the Federal Government. Also, the Chief Justice of Nigeria declared the appointment of an Acting Chief Judge for Ekiti State as unconstitutional, null and void.

The State Assembly had suspended the State Chief Judge because he set up a panel to investigate the Governor, in accordance with the requirements of the 1999 Constitution. However, the State Assembly did not like the composition of the Panel and directed the Chief Judge to empanel a new body. The Chief Judge refused and he was suspended by the Assembly and an Acting Chief Judge was appointed.

Following the illegal and unconstitutional impeachment of the Governor and Deputy Governor by the State House of Assembly, the Speaker, Friday Aderemi became the Acting Governor. However, the impeached Governor and Deputy Governor institute that they have not been impeached and therefore remain the number and two persons in Ekiti State Government.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by BigB11(m): 8:35pm On Oct 18, 2006
This is one of the reasons why I think this administration wants democracy to fail in Nigeria. Their main objective is to create chaos all over the country and eventually prolong OBJ's lease at the ASO ROCK. This is not fair, not civilized and definitely not a democracy.

Trust me, things could have been done differently and still accomplish goals effectively and efficiently.

I just feel bad for the innocent, poor folks all across Nigeria.

Let's pray for peace in Nigeria.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by Odeku(m): 8:45pm On Oct 18, 2006
Big B1 I seriously see that you have lost the thinking part of your medulla oblongata. what you just wrote has nothing to do with the issue in EKIti, due process of law my ass, justice delay is justice denied, we have exercise Patience as a nation and look at us now we still can't find any incriminating evidence against IBB, when will you open your eyes and start thinking and stop selling your soul for money. DAMN DUDE
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by BigB11(m): 9:05pm On Oct 18, 2006
Absolutely no need for me to respond to your barbaric comment.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by otokx(m): 10:32pm On Oct 18, 2006
This is very interesting; state of emergency ke?
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by Roscodaddy(m): 10:34pm On Oct 18, 2006
This Odeku must be a mad fellow,what concerns IBB and Ekiti,wetin concern amala and kunu.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by Odeku(m): 2:07am On Oct 19, 2006
Roscodaddy drag queen. we call gays fruit salad in the state what you upset cause i call your lover by the name,
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by lekywhite(m): 7:41am On Oct 19, 2006
President Olusegun Obasanjo this morning annouced a state of emmergency in Ekiti state to put a stop to the three government claiming power in the state.

A new administrator has been appointed in person of Rtd. Major General Tunji Olurin to rule the state for the next six months.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by yahoo2(m): 9:03am On Oct 19, 2006
Events are begining to unfold. I know it would come to that.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by yahoo2(m): 9:05am On Oct 19, 2006
Events are begining to unfold. I know it would come to that.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by buchio7(m): 10:16am On Oct 19, 2006
Could dis actually be d main target by d f.g.?
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by molasco(m): 10:53am On Oct 19, 2006
What a bold step to prevent anarchy in Ekiti State! This will serve as a deterrent to other legislative houses who may be planning to overthrow the other two arms of government to clinch on power.

I think Anambra State house of assembly will have a rethink.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by edge(m): 11:12am On Oct 19, 2006
the president declared a state of emergency in ekiti state this morning after making strong references to constitutional provisions that "kick against" or rather "frowns" at what the ekiti state law makers embarked on.Nigeria is fast becoming a civilized nation and a key example in sub-saharan africa.Do you think the president's action is the best or the situation can be better handled?
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by donmayor(m): 11:38am On Oct 19, 2006
Now the state of emergency has been confirmed.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by omofineboy(m): 11:51am On Oct 19, 2006
OBJ has planned this before, even though illegality was carried out in Ekiti in as much as their aim was noble, but they didnt follow the constitution ven though if they did Fayose wont be impeached anyway the scene is confusing, Our constitution is defective. OBJ just executed his plan as scheduled, anyway lets see what happened, its an irony to hear OBJ talking about upholding constitution when he has flagrantly abuse same so many times. lets see what happens.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by buchio7(m): 2:12pm On Oct 19, 2006
omofineboy:

OBJ has planned this before, even though illegality was carried out in Ekiti in as much as their aim was noble, but they didnt follow the constitution ven though if they did Fayose wont be impeached anyway the scene is confusing, Our constitution is defective. OBJ just executed his plan as scheduled, anyway lets see what happened, its an irony to hear OBJ talking about upholding constitution when he has flagrantly abuse same so many times. lets see what happens.

my exact sentiments exactly. You cant teach an old dog new tricks, The headmaster all of sudden discovers dat dere is a travesty being unleashed n swings into action like superman to save d day? wat an absurd joke, were was he when ladoja was bungled off from seat by a less dan 2/3rd majority house of assembly? where was he when d ridiculous chronicle was going on in anambra under ngige? where is he now dat 8 members of the house of assembly r threatening to remove a sitting govnor in plateau?

When it suits d man to obey d constitution ,he does so n turns a blind eye when it does not suit him,
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by BigB11(m): 2:34pm On Oct 19, 2006
Trust me folks, this current administration has it's own unique agenda. This is ridiculous, unacceptable and will never never help Nigeria or Nigerians in anyway to move forward.

We have to be smart and have the understanding of their action. Their action is not designed for us to benefit, but for them to stay longer in power.

Presidential election is few months away and they haven't approved any candidate as yet. They also continue to create chaos all over the country; dividing people and brainwashing citizens left and right.

Trust me, things could be done differently and their goals could still be accomplished effectively and efficiently, but they've chosen to focus on self docket or desire, instead of reforming the country and promoting democracy.

How can you accuse governors for abusing their position when this administration can not even obey a simple law?
I think our major problems are from the examples this current administration has displayed; if the master can not obey the law, what hope does the followers have?

Think about it.

May God bless Nigeria
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 19, 2006
President Olusegun Obasanjo has declared a state of emergency in Ekiti State following a constitutional crisis sparked off by the impeachment of the state governor, Ayo Fayose and his deputy Biodun Olujimi. Obasanjo announced the appointment of a sole administrator, Major General Tunji Olonrin from Ogun State to manage the affairs of the state for the next six months. According to the president, the move was to stop the state from descending into anarchy and threatening security Nigeria. His words:"I hereby declare a state of emergency in Ekiti state." "It is a clear case of usurpation of power. It is dangerous for our democracy , to allow this flagrant violation of our constitution to go unchecked," Obasanjo said in a television broadcast.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by jaso1(m): 5:41pm On Oct 19, 2006
the president is not transparent in his administration. was this a first illegal act in the nation? what happen to ladoja impeachment can't Mr president declares state of emergency for that scenario?. Is high time we wake up from slumber if this irregularity continues we are in trouble. obj should finished with atiku and other crook governors and leave.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by BigB11(m): 5:44pm On Oct 19, 2006
Patient is the answer to an accurate judgment.
This current administration loves to rush to judgment and embraces short cut solutions.

They careless what the long run outcome or consequence may be. This is a sign of incompetent group of people. We need competent people who truly care about the well being of the citizens, who respect / embrace democracy and focus on uniting and moving the country forward.

Problem =  Evaluation of the problem = Identify available Options  =  Evaluation of the options = Evaluation of opportunity cost = Selection of the appropriate action =  Re-evaluation of the selected action =  Selection of backup plan = Execution of the Action =  Evaluation of the outcome
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by jaso1(m): 5:49pm On Oct 19, 2006
big 1, you do make alot of mistake in your comments. i sympathies with you for situation you found yourself, if you have a thief in the family could that be an excused for your stealing?
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by my2cents(m): 5:49pm On Oct 19, 2006
I find it quite ironical that OBJ is using the constitution to justify his declaring a state of emergency in Ekiti state. I wonder where that same constitution was when he decided to run for a 3rd term wink

Call me weird, but when something smells like a rat, by golly, it most likely is a rat cool
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by zinwa: 6:03pm On Oct 19, 2006
The political instability in Ekiti state is really worrisome, what it means that a group of people can come up and impeach a governor if they fall out with him/her.that is not democracy,I mean the federal government should do something.but declaring a state is emergency is rather extreme.I
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by Freestyl(m): 6:07pm On Oct 19, 2006
I see no reason why u guys should be talking about this, the president did the right thing to maintain law and order  and above all for peace to raign in Ekiti.

The speaker did that for his own selfish interest. i mean he has no such legal rights to impeach the governor and his deputy to become the governor of the state.

The decision to impose a State of Emergency in Ekiti State was based on the collective desire to strengthen our democratic practice, institutions, and values. This decision would without doubt enhance security as well as protect the stability and corporate existence of our great nation for which many have died.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by my2cents(m): 6:10pm On Oct 19, 2006
Do I support the declaration? Yes and No grin

No - I think it is a little extreme. Regardless of what the constitution says, the pple of Ekiti elected that governor and I feel only they should have a say in terms of how the state should be run, via their elected (dare I say, rigged? cool) officials. It shouldn't be dictated to them from the federal government.

Yes - Perhaps it will serve as a warning to other states, making them think twice before considering impeachment, no matter how grave the crime. Perhaps, knowing he can't run for a 3rd term, he decided to milk the state's finances dry.

Regardless, again my opinion, with primaries and elections coming up very soon, there should be no reason for an impeachment. Censure or resignation, maybe, but not impeachment. It's a damn shame embarassed
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by BigB11(m): 6:19pm On Oct 19, 2006
If Governor Fayose is guilty, let him pay, but do it lawfully.
This will only promote democracy and prevent chaos in the country.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by popsonj(m): 6:41pm On Oct 19, 2006
I think that's just the best that could be done to achieve stability in that state now, or else thing gets worse
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by abiodunade(m): 6:42pm On Oct 19, 2006
Am n support of what Freestyl said, the speaker was extremely selfish in the handling of the impeachment of the governor and deputy. I dont understand why some people in nigeria that call themselves lawmakers can be becomes lawbreakers, the speaker was adamant even when the CJ said their action(s) was unconstitutional, he still refused to obey the constitution he claimed to be fighting for. OBJ has taken a right decision and nobody should blame him,even though OBJ has agenda in ekiti state but we should blame the fool house of assembly that played into his hand. I ONLY PITY THE POOR CITIZENS IN THE STATE. I DONT HAVE ANY PITY FOR THE GOVERNOR,DEPUTY AND THE USELESS SPEAKER AND ALL THE FOOL MEMBERS.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by BigB11(m): 8:40pm On Oct 19, 2006
jas_o : Trust me, you're not ready!
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by otokx(m): 8:47pm On Oct 19, 2006
The President has done well
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by dennylove(m): 8:50pm On Oct 19, 2006
president did not do well.
Re: State Of Emergency In Ekiti? by naija4life(f): 9:30pm On Oct 19, 2006
Which way Nigeria is going to? Cry the beloved nation.

Now, its the turn of Anambra State

then Enugu and maybe Plateau

Well, better still let them impeach all the governors

Or when they cannot, they should declare state of emergency in the states as a settlement to some fucking old greasy retired army soldiers, men am pissed, Bleep

, nonsense, arrant nonsense, DUH!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Massive Grassroot Development Initiative Rally Going On In PH / Just Imagine What These Corpers Are Doing(pic) / We Should Stop Calling Our President A Dullard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.