Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,913 members, 7,802,970 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria (34484 Views)

Mirah Mehta-young American Lady Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Northern Nigeria / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Preserve Fresh Tomato Paste For A Year (no Refrigeration Or Preservatives) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by Daniel058(m): 3:28pm On Dec 02, 2015
Bb
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by anonimi: 3:30pm On Dec 02, 2015
Adesiji77:
The previous government’s Agriculture Transformation Agenda (ATA) aimed to reverse the decline. Policymakers believed that impediments to private investment had stymied the sector. Among the proposed reforms were steps to encourage increased production and processing of tomatoes. Four years after the launch of the ATA, not a single local or foreign company is processing fresh tomatoes in Nigeria.

The new government of President Muhammadu Buhari, who took office in May, has yet to define a new policy. When it comes to tomato paste, the prospect ofexploiting local production to create an efficient, fully Nigeria-­based supply chain is still so daunting that private sector players from Nigerian business magnates to multinationals ­ are wary of the substantial investments that would be required to even attempt such a feat.

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/12/havard-graduate-works-to-produce-tomato-paste-in-nigeria/

The difference is clear between the scientifically SYSTEMATIC Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan who transformed our economy compared to the dull, daft and dumb CONFUSED "expired" man who was packaged and fraudulently sold to us on March 28.

https://www.nairaland.com/2101456/tomato-production-marketing-facts-backed

https://www.nairaland.com/1171691/impressive-ongoing-agricultural-revolution-spearheaded

https://www.cp-africa.com/2013/07/05/aliko-dangote-tomato-business/

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2085409_hh_jpeg07b0e6e05a4624e7545331a83b844508

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2278704_gej_jpeg992928adad11461598fca84307c51f06

Jonathan built INSTITUTIONS.
Buhari is built on PROPAGANDA!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by Goahead(m): 3:31pm On Dec 02, 2015
[quote author=endtimesblog post=40615876][/quote]End time grin
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 3:31pm On Dec 02, 2015
And when she starts making her money and deploying the knowledge of Genetics in it, ignorant Nigerians would start blowing "hot air" in the name of nationalization. Same way they seem to beef MTN, DSTV, Shoprite and other South African companies.

The art of business and making money doesn't know tribalism and ethnicity neither does it know religious intolerance.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by Glowww(f): 3:32pm On Dec 02, 2015
Very good Mehra, agriculture has been far too neglected in this country. Too much exportation of primary products, over importation of finished goods=decay of the agricultural sector
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by Milo30(m): 3:34pm On Dec 02, 2015
Wow. I pray she succeeds. Nigerians, open yah eyes to opportunities! $300,000 no be beans sha.

1 Like

Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by HeavenShield: 3:35pm On Dec 02, 2015
HelloBiafra:
Na today we begin hear this kind story?

By the time she go enter, no be person go tell am make e run comot naija.

Optimism Opens up our thinking faculties...When you believe, it will be possible..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by HeavenShield: 3:37pm On Dec 02, 2015
There is absolutely no need to be pessimistic...in life..

1 Like

Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by HelloBiafra: 3:39pm On Dec 02, 2015
HeavenShield:

Optimism Opens up our thinking faculties...When you believe, it will be possible..

Okay. Lets wait for the outcome.
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by cuteboy2: 3:42pm On Dec 02, 2015
The Havard graduate is working or researching to produce, while Eric Odinaka Umeoffia of Erisco Foods Processing Limited, is already producing canned tomato puree.

Chief Umeoffia has donated truckloads to Nigerian Army formations in North East fighting Boko Haram, Internally Displaced Persons camp, buying up full pages of newspapers, and shouting himself hoarse that Nigeria should stop importation of tomato paste. But is anyone listening?

http://www.daylight.ng/erisco-foods-boss-eric-umeofias-large-heart/

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/the-tomato-king/217121/

http://leadership.ng/business/467892/cbn-policy-on-forex-revived-tomato-paste-industry-umeofia

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by Baroba(m): 3:50pm On Dec 02, 2015
TruthHurts1:
The name sounds Indian

Of course it's Indian..
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by cuteboy2: 3:53pm On Dec 02, 2015
Though Mehta has yet to test drive her supply chain, she has a ready market for her paste. Ram Mahadevan, head of packaged foods for Olam, seller of Tasty Tom and De Rica, two of the most popular brands in Nigeria, says he is ready “to buy every kilogramme of tomato paste” Tomato Jos can produce. Olam wants to support domestic supply and has suggested to the Buhari administration that it conduct a feasibility study into how to create and scale a proce to create and scale a processing industry.

The same Indian company, Olam who used to grow cotton in Nigeria under the Afcott banner, but soon closed down all their farms and resorted to whole scale importation of De Rica tin tomatoes, now wants to buy every drop of paste from this upstart by another Indian Mehta who has zero experience running business in Nigeria.

Meanwhile Eric Umeoffia of Erisco Foods that is already producing tons of tomato puree, Olams is silent on buying from them to stop their wasteful importation. Who is deceiving who?

Olam see cartons of Ric-Giko tomatoes here made in Nigeria. Stop this hypocrisy.

Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by arabianights: 3:54pm On Dec 02, 2015
the idea of allowing foreigners to keep making off us and using our own resources i very pain ful. i can for sure state that some Nigerians must have presented this but were never given the opportunity either because no be oyinbo or no bribe was given or they simply felt they had nothing to offer
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by DedeNkem: 3:58pm On Dec 02, 2015
Never ever buy Tomato paste, it contains chemicals that preserves the paste and the chemicals are not good for your health.

Always buy raw fresh tomatoes, they're cheap and also healthy.
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by Onegai(f): 4:03pm On Dec 02, 2015
cuteboy2:

The same Indian company, Olam who used to grow cotton in Nigeria under the Afcott banner, but soon closed down all their farms and resorted to whole scale importation of De Rica tin tomatoes, now wants to buy every drop of paste from this upstart by another Indian Mehta who has zero experience running business in Nigeria.

Meanwhile Eric Umeoffia of Erisco Foods that is already producing tons of tomato puree, Olams is silent on buying from them to stop their wasteful importation. Who is deceiving who?

Olam see cartons of Ric-Giko tomatoes here made in Nigeria. Stop this hypocrisy.

Please read the links you provided. Erisco Foods is still importing tomato concentrate themselves. Whilst I commend him, he is not yet making tomato paste locally. Still, I'll definitely keep an eye out for news of his company and the minute he starts using locally grown tomato paste, I'll be one of his biggest supporters and even help him market for free. Thanks for at least telling us his name.

2 Likes

Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by chiefobdk(m): 4:12pm On Dec 02, 2015
U for tell us say na novel.
end time time wasting.
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by Lalaity: 4:26pm On Dec 02, 2015
sonofananimal:
he say if you graduate from harvad university abroad, make you come Nigeria come do tomatoes farming. say you go make ya money big time.

come later say our government no dey give job again say guys have to shine eyes HUSTLE GET MONEY.

Dude did you read the post cheesy wink smiley
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by anonimi: 4:33pm On Dec 02, 2015
cuteboy2:
The Havard graduate is working or researching to produce, while Eric Odinaka Umeoffia of Erisco Foods Processing Limited, is already producing canned tomato puree.

Chief Umeoffia has donated truckloads to Nigerian Army formations in North East fighting Boko Haram, Internally Displaced Persons camp, buying up full pages of newspapers, and shouting himself hoarse that Nigeria should stop importation of tomato paste. But is anyone listening?

http://www.daylight.ng/erisco-foods-boss-eric-umeofias-large-heart/

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/the-tomato-king/217121/

http://leadership.ng/business/467892/cbn-policy-on-forex-revived-tomato-paste-industry-umeofia

Is there no senator or representative for his constituency?
Has he LOBBIED them so they can raise motions in the House or Senate floors to

- adjust import tariffs,
- provide excise duty breaks/holidays and

other measures to promote FURTHER local production that will generate EMPLOYMENT and taxes (direct & indirect)
to the various governments:

- LGA
- State
- Federal

He should also form an Association of Tomato farmers and Tomato Farm/Factory workers who will also serve as a PRESSURE group on the lawmakers and executive arms of government.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by anonimi: 4:52pm On Dec 02, 2015
Onegai:
Please read the links you provided. Erisco Foods is still importing tomato concentrate themselves. Whilst I commend him, he is not yet making tomato paste locally. Still, I'll definitely keep an eye out for news of his company and the minute he starts using locally grown tomato paste, I'll be one of his biggest supporters and even help him market for free. Thanks for at least telling us his name.

I think he should be supported EVEN at this phase as it is a (somewhat necessary) first step towards backward integration of the production process. The lessons learnt at this phase will be useful as he moves further into the local environment in the value chain.

I remember in the 70s to 80s vehicle manufacturing STARTED with complete CKDs (Component Knock Downs) to be assembled in Nigerian factories but slowly batteries, tyres chairs/seats were produced locally until clueless military regimes of Buhari & IBB in particular, opened the gates for imported tokunbos that KILLED our factories and made our youths so UNEMPLOYED that many risk crossing the desert and Mediterranean Sea to become voluntary slaves, UNDEREMPLOYED while forming diasporans to those "unfortunate" to remain in Nigeria. embarassed embarassed
The government:

- president
- senators
- representatives
- state governors
- state assembly lawmaker
- LGA Chairman
- LGA Councillor

needs to encourage these type of producer to go back on the value chain to local FARMERS by providing him and other entrepreneurs the INCENTIVES for doing so.
We should all understand the need to produce locally and the benefits therefrom.
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by morab90(m): 5:01pm On Dec 02, 2015
Encouraging.... Produce more across the 36 states
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:08pm On Dec 02, 2015
Lalaity:
Dude did you read the post cheesy wink smiley
no sir/ma
I didn't read that long story about tomatoes
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by Suspect33(m): 5:13pm On Dec 02, 2015
Goahead:
[size=90pt]To my Igbo brothers in the northern part of the country, please don't sleep and snore away like Buhari, at least for the next week.[/size]
bro its getting scary here in the north, this whole biafra stuff might take another dimension of bloodshed
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by Ephemmm: 5:38pm On Dec 02, 2015
Goahead:
[size=90pt]To my Igbo brothers in the northern part of the country, please don't sleep and snore away like Buhari, at least for the next week.[/size]

You see! Unemployed, miscreant IPOB youths are using their primitive gestures displayed today to put the lives of others living in foreign lands into restlessness.
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by MrMcJay(m): 5:47pm On Dec 02, 2015
arabianights:
the idea of allowing foreigners to keep making off us and using our own resources i very pain ful. i can for sure state that some Nigerians must have presented this but were never given the opportunity either because no be oyinbo or no bribe was given or they simply felt they had nothing to offer

I can fully relate with the above post. In fact, when I saw this, my mind went back to the convo we had a few months ago. God help us all.
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by mikolo80: 6:32pm On Dec 02, 2015
nnamdibig:
More of these will make Nigeria depending less on foreign goods. But $300,000 no be beans ooo
you're still waiting for oyel ba. instead of you to enter farm.?
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by mikolo80: 6:34pm On Dec 02, 2015
nnamdibig:
More of these will make Nigeria depending less on foreign goods. But $300,000 no be beans ooo
moni wen no reash to build house for lekki, Magodo, maitama, asokoro, banana island.instead na moto ppl prefer to buy and aso ebi
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by mikolo80: 6:39pm On Dec 02, 2015
MrMcJay:

I can fully relate with the above post. In fact, when I saw this, my mind went back to the convo we had a few months ago. God help us all.
come on,stop crying crocodile tears. God will not help you, He cannot help you anymore than he has already (the land is green and fertile and plentiful, rain hr falling, sun hr shining)
you better enter farm and stop lamenting
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by mikolo80: 6:43pm On Dec 02, 2015
anonimi:

I think he should be supported EVEN at this phase as it is a (somewhat necessary) first step towards backward integration of the production process. The lessons learnt at this phase will be useful as he moves further into the local environment in the value chain.

I remember in the 70s to 80s vehicle manufacturing STARTED with complete CKDs (Component Knock Downs) to be assembled in Nigerian factories but slowly batteries, tyres chairs/seats were produced locally until clueless military regimes of Buhari & IBB in particular, opened the gates for imported tokunbos that KILLED our factories and made our youths so UNEMPLOYED that many risk crossing the desert and Mediterranean Sea to become voluntary slaves, UNDEREMPLOYED while forming diasporans to those "unfortunate" to remain in Nigeria. embarassed embarassed
The government:

- president
- senators
- representatives
- state governors
- state assembly lawmaker
- LGA Chairman
- LGA Councillor

needs to encourage these type of producer to go back on the value chain to local FARMERS by providing him and other entrepreneurs the INCENTIVES for doing so.
We should all understand the need to produce locally and the benefits therefrom.
y'all still don't get it. the gwament doe'nt need to do sheet. them don hammer, it's the farmer, that need to find a solution to the. problem. sad but true
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by mikolo80: 6:46pm On Dec 02, 2015
arabianights:
you're still waiting for oyel ba. instead of you to enter farm.?
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by MrMcJay(m): 6:46pm On Dec 02, 2015
mikolo80:
come on,stop crying crocodile tears. God will not help you, He cannot help you anymore than he has already (the land is green and fertile and plentiful, rain hr falling, sun hr shining)
you better enter farm and stop lamenting

I'm not responsible for your frustration, take it elsewhere.
Re: Mira Mehta To Produce Tomato Paste In Nigeria by mikolo80: 6:51pm On Dec 02, 2015
arabianights:
na lie e no pain you,e no pain the farmers if not una for don fine solution to the problem
Oya when you go enter farm
otherwise stop the crocodile tears

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures: My Snail Farm / How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria / The Hidden Profit In Storage Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.