Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,088 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:46 PM

The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale (1495 Views)

3 Helpful Tips On How Low Income Earners Can Survive In Lagos / BBC Celebrates Julius Adewale Adedeji As The "Most Dedicated Police Officer" / How To Succeed On Fiverr Revealed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by Leovido(m): 12:10am On Dec 03, 2015
There are Four triangles in this pic (below this write-up). Three facing up and the last facing down. The main triangular frame is what i call the "Progress Triangle". Those three triangles shows that being Responsible, Talented and Focused will help you make progress in life much more easier. But being helpful will not only slow down your progress, but it will belate your success. For example if you are to walk 100 metres to your success and you keep helping out every Tom,Dick and Harry on your way, you're gonna get old in life before you get to your success (which is just 100 metres away!). But being Responsible, Talented and FOCUSED helps you get to your success faster than usual!
I didn't just come up with this theory, i once read it somewhere (i can't remember), and i felt it was too "somehow" for me not to help everyone i could go the extra mile for, until recently that i realised that "Satisfying people won't still satisfy them" which slowed my progress and gave me heartache.

CONCLUSION:
This thought of mine that i poured out here isn't meant to discourage you from helping people, but doing it when you will pay dearly for it isn't advisable. Therefore please be more Responsible, Talented and (above all) FOCUSED rather than being unnecessarily helpful.

Written and Thought out By: Leo Adewale (myself)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by amicable09(f): 12:36am On Dec 03, 2015
Hi Leo, what does being responsible mean?

Selfish people don't achieve success quote me. And let me say of course that success is relative.
Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by HopeAtHand: 1:35am On Dec 03, 2015
The Op has a point..being unnecessary helpful will slow progress down..

Having an overly remorseful heart and being way too considerate is another to put in check.

Between trying not to hurt someones feelings and being careful not to step on toes blah blan blah.

basically, just focus on you i.e. be self loving. Self servin, self considerin....Self...ish.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by proudofficial(m): 7:15am On Dec 03, 2015
Help when necessary, dont over do it Asap
Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by Leovido(m): 9:23am On Dec 03, 2015
amicable09:
Hi Leo, what does being responsible mean?

Selfish people don't achieve success quote me. And let me say of course that success is relative.

Being responsible has to do with being trusted, reliable and trustworthy!

And being helpful at your own risk isn't worth the effort in the first place
Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by Leovido(m): 9:26am On Dec 03, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Having an overly remorseful heart and being way too considerate is another to put in check.

Between trying not to hurt someones feelings and being careful not to step on toes blah blan blah.

basically, just focus on you i.e. be self loving. Self servin, self considerin....Self...ish.

thanks for the addition. I still was able to learn one or two from it
Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by Leovido(m): 9:28am On Dec 03, 2015
proudofficial:
Help when necessary, dont over do it Asap

Simple!
Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by oglalasioux(m): 12:40pm On Dec 03, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Very correct. We waste time thinking of what others will think about us and not listening to ourselves. It's the bane of failure.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by Leovido(m): 1:58pm On Dec 03, 2015
oglalasioux:

Very correct. We waste time thinking of what others will think about us and not listening to ourselves. It's the bane of failure.

Yes! You're right! An average man will say it's pure selfishness, but come to think of it, they don't even practice what they preach!
They claim all is vanity, yet they hoard all the good things that comes their way and don't even give a single F about their neighbours!

It's no wonders why the rich will keep being rich and the poor finds who to put the blame on

2 Likes

Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 03, 2015
A very insightful piece, av always been a victim of this nt until I lost a job and was jobless for 5mnths, all the people I helped and tried 2 please then were nowhere to be found including extended family members, then I have a ration of my pay I do send to friends n xtended family members every month. it wasn't as if I xpected anytin 4rm dem but a fone call 4rm dem wudn't av bin bad since dey all knew my condition bt non called. I later got a better job and right now I am damn focused......I wanted 2 activate stingy mode bt my mum encouraged me 2 kip helping. So right now I only help when neccesary and wisely.

2 Likes

Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by Leovido(m): 3:25pm On Dec 04, 2015
Castroii:
A very insightful piece, av always been a victim of this nt until I lost a job and was jobless for 5mnths, all the people I helped and tried 2 please then were nowhere to be found including extended family members, then I have a ration of my pay I do send to friends n xtended family members every month. it wasn't as if I xpected anytin 4rm dem but a fone call 4rm dem wudn't av bin bad since dey all knew my condition bt non called. I later got a better job and right now I am damn focused......I wanted 2 activate stingy mode bt my mum encouraged me 2 kip helping. So right now I only help when neccesary and wisely.

Glad i brought this to your notice!
Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by amicable09(f): 7:02pm On Dec 04, 2015
Leovido:

Being responsible has to do with being trusted, reliable and trustworthy!

And being helpful at your own risk isn't worth the effort in the first place
I've always wanted to come back and reply but I have been a little too busy, here now.
What say ye about helping people? All the other commenters have been talking about helping others at their own expense but that's not what you said initially. If you are genuinely helping, then do so, there is nothing like at your own risk!

Some people are just selfish in nature and would never go out of their way to do anything for another person if there is no direct benefit for them. That is wrong! Humans are wired to be dependent beings and that's where responsible comes to play, if others (our parents, relatives and friends) have not at one point or the other beebn uncomfortable for us to be comfortable then check the people around you well, they may just a bunch of irresponsible folks but if they have then you should emulate them.

A little discomfort every once in a while is allowed, doesn't stop you from attaining success.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by ednut1(m): 7:48pm On Dec 04, 2015
My motto is help ur self first before thinking of others. I know a man who was very generous and always helping people but when he had businesa problems people deserted him, while the stringy man AKA baba ijebu who built two houses over 5 years is enjoying his retirement without bothering his children. Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by Leovido(m): 8:19pm On Dec 04, 2015
ednut1:
My motto is help ur self first before thinking of others. I know a man who was very generous and always helping people but when he had businesa problems people deserted him, while the stringy man AKA baba ijebu who built two houses over 5 years is enjoying his retirement without bothering his children. Lol

Such is life!

Now i've gotten a new motto!
Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by Leovido(m): 8:34pm On Dec 04, 2015
amicable09:

I've always wanted to come back and reply but I have been a little too busy, here now.
What say ye about helping people? All the other commenters have talking about helping others at their own expense but that's not what you said initially. If you are genuinely helping, then do so, there is nothing like at your own risk!

Some people are just selfish in nature and would never go out of their way to do anything for another person if there is no direct benefit for them. That is wrong! Humans are wired to be dependent beings and that's where responsible comes to play, if others (our parents, relatives and friends) have not at one point or the other being uncomfortable for us to be comfortable then check the people around you well, they may just a bunch of irresponsible folks but if they have then you should emulate them.

A little discomfort every once in a while is allowed, doesn't stop you from attaining success.

We're still somehow on the same page. But there's something called Helping At Your Own Risk.

A doctor that helped out a patient against the hospital's rules is more reasonable and justifiable than other guys who take unnecessary risk just coz of 'people's opinion'. And they end up paying dearly for it.

The post was inspired by my personal experience which i'm regretting my actions right now. I had the feeling that i would regret it and ignored my instinct just coz of people's opinion.

Just don't help people at your own risk.
Be wise
Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by davide470(m): 9:28pm On Dec 04, 2015
Lalasticlala.. kindly unban amicable09 up^^^
Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by XtraSmooth404: 10:38pm On Dec 04, 2015
Whatever happened to the saying that "givers never lack?" undecided
Help if you can, but know where to draw the line. @op, sounds like you're encouraging stinginess.
Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by yinkeys(m): 7:30am On Dec 05, 2015
The truth is bitter, @leovido is 100% correct

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by Leovido(m): 7:31am On Dec 05, 2015
XtraSmooth404:
Whatever happened to the saying that "givers never lack?" undecided
Help if you can, but know where to draw the line. @op, sounds like you're encouraging stinginess.
Don't get me wrong o! I'm not encouraging "stinginess". All i meant was that being helpful unnecessarily delays success. But being Responsible, Talented and FOCUSED, hastens the success process
Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by Leovido(m): 7:32am On Dec 05, 2015
yinkeys:
The truth is bitter, @leovido is 100% correct

Thank you!!
Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by profeoo(m): 8:16am On Dec 05, 2015
Anything done in life without balance is not encouraging. Helping others is good but please start by helping yourself first,else you will help to your own detriment-an area where most persons are found wanting. We should learn to help without hoping to receive back from those we help,when we do in that way,it doesn't slow our our progress rather it propels us to go even further.
Re: The Reason Why Helpful People Don't Succeed On Time By Leo Adewale by Leovido(m): 8:42am On Dec 05, 2015
profeoo:
Anything done in life without balance is not encouraging. Helping others is good but please start by helping yourself first,else you will help to your own detriment-an area where most persons are found wanting. We should learn to help without hoping to receive back from those we help,when we do in that way,it doesn't slow our our progress rather it propels us to go even further.
I guess this sums it all up

(1) (Reply)

Why Eagles Don't Mingle..facts You Must Know(applicable To Life Settings.) / Nigeria Law Degree (LLB) And Usefulness In Other Countries / HAPPENING NOW: Fire Outbreak Rocks UBA House In Lagos Island

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.