Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout (27209 Views)

Intel Boss, Brian Krzanich, Resigns After Relationship With Employee Was Exposed / MTN: Nigeria's Fine Causes Negative 2016 Revenue / MTN Nigeria Fine Increased To $3.9 Billion After Regulator Error (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by kurt09(m): 7:36am On Dec 03, 2015
Fine payable by the end of December, Nigerian regulator says
MTN's chairman will consider penalty, to consult further

The Nigerian telecommunications regulator cut the fine imposed on MTN Group Ltd. to $3.4 billion from a record $5.2 billion and the chief executive officer in the country quit as part of a wider management shake-up at Africa’s biggest mobile-phone operator.
The shares gained 1.2 percent to 148.49 rand as of 9:32 a.m. in Johannesburg, valuing the company at 274 billion rand ($19.1 billion). The stock is still down about 22 percent since the penalty was made public on Oct. 26.

The Nigerian Communications Commission decided to reduce the levy after considering a request from the company, Johannesburg-based MTN said in a statement on Thursday. MTN named Ferdi Moolman, the former CEO of the company’s Iran unit and most recently the chief financial officer of MTN Nigeria, as head of the Lagos-based operations, replacing Michael Ikpoki, who resigned.

The Nigerian regulator imposed the fine on MTN for failing to meet a deadline to disconnect 5.1 million unregistered subscribers. Group Chairman Phuthuma Nhleko took an executive position in November and led negotiations with the NCC after CEO Sifiso Dabengwa quit.

Reduction Considered

Nhleko will “immediately and urgently re-engage with the Nigerian authorities before responding formally,” MTN said in the statement. “All factors having a bearing on the situation will be thoroughly and carefully considered before the company arrives at a final decision.”
The initial fine of $5.2 billion was more than MTN’s total sales in Nigeria in 2014 and the equivalent of about 37 percent of the group’s total revenue. A full payment would have exceeded the revenue the Nigerian government made from oil in the second-quarter, and more than double the state’s non-crude proceeds, according to central bank data. MTN’s largest shareholder, the Public Investment Corp., in November called on the board to take greater responsibility for the fine.

The company decided to reinstate its previous reporting structures to boost oversight, leadership and compliance across 22 countries in Africa and the Middle East, the company said in a separate statement. Jyoti Desai will be group chief operating officer, based in Johannesburg, while Karl Toriola will be vice president for the West and central African region and Ismail Jaroudi will play the same role for the Middle East and north Africa. Amina Oyagbola replaces Akinwale Goodluck as head of regulatory and corporate affairs in Nigeria.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-03/mtn-s-nigerian-fine-reduced-to-3-4-billion-ahead-of-more-talks
Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by TCD: 8:02am On Dec 03, 2015
Why now FG? why reduce it right there. .. that is free money to repair our refinaries plus extra change.

MTN deserves all the get. They don't pity us with their ridiculous data charges and stealing of credit through dubious subscriptions. You will just be pressing your phone and suddenly they send a flash message asking you to subscribe for one thing or the other knowing you might mistakenly press yes. what kind of scam is that?

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by agabusta: 8:18am On Dec 03, 2015
Good. But they must suffer some liability. All the Telcos treat Nigerian regulations with kid's gloves with the mindset that they can always settle compromised NCC officials.

They must pay some fine!

This will go a long way in instilling discipline in that sector.

The lawlessness of those Telcos are just too much!

After this current govt came on board, the Chief of Staff to the President met with the Telcos, while acting in capacity for the president and gave them stern warning to conform but that warning still fell on deaf ears. They thought it was business as usual. They didn't realise that there has been a regime change.

This Administration surely has the capacity to take Nigeria higher. I thought the meeting was just one of those usual rhetoric, but I can now see that indeed they forewarned them and they are now ready to bite.

Kudos to PMB. Pls continue bringing sanity to every sector of Nigeria. If your area of interest is yet to be touched, kindly exercise patience. PMB will surely get there.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by blazetitov: 9:02am On Dec 03, 2015
Emptyhen deserves more than this reduced fine. Am sure they have made up to half of the fine with their dubious data and drop calls charges. The crazy network stole my N2015 last month all in the name of giving 2015MB.

3 Likes

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by PassingShot(m): 9:07am On Dec 03, 2015
I think this is still a good news. $3.4bn is still huge anyway.

Thank God we now have a president who applies the rule to the letter. If not, MTN will have gotten away with a slap on the wrist.

Thumbs up PMB and NCC. Era of impunity is being dispensed with gradually.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by seunmsg(m): 9:12am On Dec 03, 2015
$3.4billion is still a very heavy fine by all standard. Kudos to PMB and the leadership of NCC for stamping down their feet and enforcing the rules fully, though, with a human face. Nigeria is not a lawless country and any company that wants to operate here must be ready to obey our laws to the letter.

18 Likes

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by mohammad11: 9:23am On Dec 03, 2015
A lesson well learnt for mtn and others
Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by Nobody: 9:27am On Dec 03, 2015
Ok, goodluck to them in their adventure shocked

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by Nobody: 9:52am On Dec 03, 2015
Why the reduction na?

Nigeria govt official are like local street dog who only bark loud with little biting.

i thought they would bring down heaven if mtn didn't pay all the money with there chest beating initial gragra.

Have you ever heard of mtn reducing a customers debt?
They even charge extra 5% for service charges.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by CaptaiinG(m): 10:30am On Dec 03, 2015
Why did they reduce it for God sake, Mtn are very useless I swear I registered my line last week after been disconnected but here am I again it has been disconnected again....stupid company

2 Likes

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by McBrooklyn(m): 10:30am On Dec 03, 2015
Soon Now MTN Nigeria go con be like . . .

"Predict And Win" . . . "Predict The Next 10 Countries President Buhari Will Visit And Stand A Chance To Win 10 Million Naira grin grin grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by cutetopsey(f): 10:31am On Dec 03, 2015
OK. Good!
Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by ofofoCEO(f): 10:31am On Dec 03, 2015
Politics play

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by Segadem(m): 10:31am On Dec 03, 2015
CaptaiinG:
Why did they reduce it for God sake, Mtn are very useless I swear I registered my line last week after been disconnected but here am I again it has been disconnected again....stupid company
They are doing it to proof to NCC that they are working.
I have done mine now more than two times but now disconnected again.
eMpTy Net why?
Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by ModiKen(m): 10:31am On Dec 03, 2015
Which kind rubbish b dis; why NCC go reduce am?

Una know how many Nigerians dem don dupe? Rubbish!!! angry
Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by Tintinnoty(m): 10:31am On Dec 03, 2015
not surprise I saw this coming
Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by Viktor1983(m): 10:31am On Dec 03, 2015
All Join
Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by olayes(m): 10:32am On Dec 03, 2015
God catch them with all this kind wack network wey them dey give person
Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by Segadem(m): 10:32am On Dec 03, 2015
phantonce:

Why the reduction na?

Nigeria govt official are like local street dog who only bark loud with little biting.

i thought they would bring down heaven if mtn didn't pay all the money with there chest beating initial gragra

When is the deadline abeg cos i cnt wait for the final payment day?

Have you ever heard of mtn reducing a customers debt?
They even charge extra 5% for service charges.
The fine is unfairly reduced grin

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by Lincoln275(m): 10:33am On Dec 03, 2015
e yah
Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by ILOVETOFUCK(f): 10:33am On Dec 03, 2015
Fry Two Eggs For that Mann.

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by Amiee99(f): 10:33am On Dec 03, 2015
Ok[right][/right]
Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by feelamong(m): 10:33am On Dec 03, 2015
Nice one for Naija!

At least for the sake of jobs the fine was reduced!

Now they all will know that the era of impunity is gone!

Sai PMB!!

2 Likes

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by pat077: 10:34am On Dec 03, 2015
not too bad
Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by PHATE007(f): 10:34am On Dec 03, 2015
Pls NCC shud collect dis money as soon as possible...

But Something tells me this fine will b reduced further.....

MTN, eatin our money since 1960

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by Hibiscuss(m): 10:34am On Dec 03, 2015
Lobatan
Re: MTN Nigeria Fine Reduced By $1.8 Billion As CEO Resigns In Fallout by horlabiyi(m): 10:34am On Dec 03, 2015
I said it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

*737# Gtb Ussd Not Working Anymore? / How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers / The Nokia 6: Price And Full Specifications

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.