Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,278 members, 7,780,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:18 PM

Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba (15281 Views)

10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs / Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 9:32pm On Jun 02, 2009
naijaking1:

Your persistent reference to Okija is just a red herring, and you know it. Unlike Benin, Okija people, and Igbos in general never decreed the ugly practice bursted by the police a few years ago. Infact, it was the locals who helped police dismantle the stupidity going on there. I don't recall many Igbo people who came out to defend the indefensible, but here you're trying every technique in the book to defend the indefensible.
Did the Igwe of Okija decree murder?
Did the whole Okija people, educated and uneducated join in unity to justify the action of a few individuals?
Did Igbo people not condenm the practice?

The difference is simply that while Okija was an isolated incident outside the norm in Igboland, the Benin ban has the unfortunate stamp of the oba himself. While the perpetrators of okija have been thought a lesson by law enforcement agents, Benin people such as yourself are still wallowing in ignorance shocked

Your last sentence speaks volumes, you are a rabid tribalist. Pure & Simple.
What lesson have they been taught when nobody went to Jail? The shrine is still open and the killings continue. Face up to your problems and stop hiding behind palm bunches. How can you call Okija Shrine an isolated incident? It has persisted for years. Deal with that first, then come and talk about palm bunches.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 9:35pm On Jun 02, 2009
@RichyBlack

The decent thing to do is delete this thread. It serves no purpose. It is not politics. We have to try and raise the standards of discourse as opposed to allowing a few 'agbero or kolomentals' to spoil the debate for all. This means active moderating.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 9:42pm On Jun 02, 2009
SapeleGuy:

@RichyBlack

The decent thing to do is delete this thread. It serves no purpose. It is not politics. We have to try and raise the standards of discourse as opposed to allowing a few 'agbero or kolomentals' to spoil the debate for all. This means active moderating.
There is no need to delete the thread. Your embarrassment and shame is understandable, but we have to rise above that.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 10:08pm On Jun 02, 2009
Yes, this 'shame and embarrasment' must stem from knowing that harmless palmnut bunches are infinitely more dangerous than ritual killings in Okija. the whole town was against it but it persisted for decades. Yes, shame indeed.

I look forward to your next attack on another ethnic nationality.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 10:27pm On Jun 02, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Yes, this 'shame and embarrasment' must stem from knowing that harmless palmnut bunches are infinitely more dangerous than ritual killings in Okija. the whole town was against it but it persisted for decades. Yes, shame indeed.

I look forward to your next attack on another ethnic nationality.

For all your hurtful feelings, and your attempts to change the topic to Okija; you have not even bothered to scientifically explain the rational/motive behind the draconian decree to sabotage our national economic dependence on palm trees. Well, 'it's our tradition and culture since the begininng of mankind" is not enough.

You don't have to look forward to my attack on superstition by another tribe, remember the Ekiti incident, the Okija episode: I have strongly condenmend them just as I deride the foolishness of the oba's decree.

You really have to make a better point for yourself than you're doing so far, or simply keep quite and admit mistakes so that the nation can move forward with unhindered production, marketing, and use of palm fruits.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jun 02, 2009
@Okoko. . .

@Gaggi. I got my PhD in USA and not in English Motherfucker. If you got a problem with that let me know? I don’t blame you anymore, because you are scared to write up to 10 lines. You can do more than your brain! I guess I should be lenient to you the way I perceive you before your myopic orientation.

If you want to justify your points for your Oba’s edict, I would prefer you to stay in the village and tell not on Nairaland; which I see as a global forum.

The old-age fetish tradition that demands humans’ blood, cows, camels and goats had been relegated to back exit to pave ways for progress. With modernity and increased interest in learning: all we discover in it is groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things impossible, superstition, fanaticism and fabrication.

@Gaggi. For We to engage in nonviolent direct method, by using our literary knowledge to go against the preposterous EDICT of your King; which we think would bring more suffering to common people and retard the economic progress of the region. Mind you, that does not warrant us the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive.

1. It's confirmed you are an illiterate. What do you mean by USA and not in English? This kid is a primary 6 pupil fronting as an adult.
Shove your 'Ph.d' up your ass.

2. You helped us know you're daft by writing that lengthy B.S. FYI, writing lenghty words doesn't mean you're smart. Most of what you've been writing is garbage. Take a cue from me, keep it simple and articulate. No wonder you failed your exams- writing out of point.

3. What fetish are you talking about? Don't know about fetish. Perhaps that's your area of specialization. Are you from Okija?

I've had enough of this thread.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by okokomeji: 12:18am On Jun 03, 2009
@gaggi. God punish you with your lies!!! You said you don’t know about fetish any more when your gods still collecting innocent humans’ blood, cows, camels and goats; which you celebrate with a super-size halcyon.

The quorum of your family is daft, might be Lilliputian anyway. I would want you to do me a favor to switch him or her to face me; because you are not my type fool. Mr Semi literate: Note that nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity, for parting the terrain of peril in 21 century.

I know I write garbage but my messages and connotations make sense to the whole world; except a low-life nut like you. Guess what? I’m blessed to be voluble and have sharper “koboko” of words to whip the asses of mutherfuckers like you bitch!

I am from middle school and think like adult like you said. I appreciate that! Mr Semi literate, what is the definition of your education that you are clamoring about? The basic core function of education is to teach one to think intensively and critically. Sorrowfully, you wholly devoid of both low-life rogue! Get the Bleep out the hell of my face!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by tunku(m): 12:27am On Jun 03, 2009
calling him a lilliputian is too much of a compliment, This guy is a straight up yahoo. A jackass in human form.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 12:31am On Jun 03, 2009
@ $osisi

"Maybe I should have taken pictures of you and your family dangling their blokoss and chanting incantations in Ekosodin
gerrout and kiss a palm fruit
ode!"

We know how you like pre-intimacy on your fathers blokoss. What they never told you is that your father is in fact your brother and you mother is your sister. Now you know the reason for your congenital ugliness and mental deformity. Bloody monkey.
Make God punish you and your incestous family for generations to come.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 12:36am On Jun 03, 2009
SapeleGuy:

@ $osisi

"Maybe you should have taken pictures of my  family dangling their blokoss and chanting incantations in Ekosodin
gerrout and let me kiss a palm fruit
ode!"

[byou  know how[b] I [/b] like pre-intimacy on my fathers blokoss. What they never told you is that my father is in fact my brother and my mother is my sister. Now you know the reason for my congenital ugliness and mental deformity.  I'm a Bloody monkey.
Make God punish me and my incestous family for generations to come.[/b]

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Chineke God of Sapele and Okija, creator of all palm trees
Is that so?
You have my utmost sympathy honey
As we say in Bini
doo
e kpele my dear
ndo o wink
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 12:43am On Jun 03, 2009
naijaking1:

For all your hurtful feelings, and your attempts to change the topic to Okija; you have not even bothered to scientifically explain the rational/motive behind the draconian decree to sabotage our national economic dependence on palm trees. Well, 'it's our tradition and culture since the begininng of mankind" is not enough.

The guy is even from the ghettos of Sapele.
From some rugged part of town that  hardened Okada operators fear to tread grin
allow him to vent and cool his temperature
do you know how many palm fruits he saw in the dream last night
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 12:48am On Jun 03, 2009
SapeleGuy:

@ $osisi
We know how you like pre-intimacy on your fathers blokoss. What they never told you is that your father is in fact your brother and you mother is your sister. Now you know the reason for your congenital ugliness and mental deformity. Bloody monkey.
Make God punish you and your incestous family for generations to come.

Too bad all the Benin guys who could make convincing argument for themselves are gone lipsrsealed
Dude, you have tried religion- it didn't work, culture-no way, tribalism-nope, Okija--returned to sender; now you have finally stoop too low to degrade a woman.
You think that's going to work
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 12:51am On Jun 03, 2009
my dear don't mind him.
Onwere onye isi di nma bi na Sapele?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 1:49am On Jun 03, 2009
It's true-o. I have seen that in this sapele guy.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by TCUBE(m): 3:22am On Jun 03, 2009
By the way, who is going to enforce the so-called decree by the Oba? The Police?, Nigeria: the amazing land of wonders!!!!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 3:35am On Jun 03, 2009
TCUBE:

By the way, who is going to enforce the so-called decree by the Oba? The Police?, Nigeria: the amazing land of wonders!!!!

sapele guy and the other tout
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Oxone(m): 4:32am On Jun 03, 2009
its good to know that all the retards on nairaland are on this thread, they all seem to be thinking & talking through their arse

common sense is all gone

there is this particular one called kosovo who seems to think its a taboo to question the oba's decree, o well he might be the oba's town crier

but seriously what has palm kernel got to do with death & bad omen undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by okokomeji: 5:36am On Jun 03, 2009
@Oxone. I am looking for that pussy-ass “Kosovo.” He made me start all my expletive cursing and slur.

He was like; don’t go against Oba’s edict, because Oba has gun and vituperative cursing for anybody that goes against his will. This is not the era where you would be doing wedding and Oba would want your bride and send his slaves to ambush or waylay. And if the groom gets to fight, Oba would send him out of town or kill him. Tell ‘em not anymore. The river had surged and new school of fish had been produced.

what has palm kernel got to do with death & bad omen? I bet you KOSOVO will never have concrete answer for you. He just chooses to blatantly and blindly support Oba’s edict at the expense of common man.

@Kosovo. Pretty saying: Because we want the dumb and deaf mother to hear words that is why we talk about her to the face of her kid. Being Oba’s dog, I want you to tell to Oba’s face; no weak decree and permanent edict can be founded except the labors that promote the will and happiness of common man. Don’t deprive anybody the means of their livelihood. Freaking jerk!

I fed the mutherfucker with sad words; I know the bitch ass might be in one corner crying by now. Nonsense!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by okokomeji: 5:42am On Jun 03, 2009
Since nairaland is changing most of my curse words, I may remove some little curse words.

@Oxone. I am looking for that jerk-ass “Kosovo.” He made me start all my expletive cursing and slur.

He was like; don’t go against Oba’s edict, because Oba has gun and vituperative cursing for anybody that goes against his will. This is not the era where you would be doing wedding and Oba would want your bride and send his slaves to ambush or waylay. And if the groom gets to fight, Oba would send him out of town or kill him. Tell them not anymore. The river had surged and new school of fish had been produced.

what has palm kernel got to do with death & bad omen? I bet you KOSOVO will never have concrete answer for you. He just chooses to blatantly and blindly support Oba’s edict at the expense of common man.

@Kosovo. Pretty saying: Because we want the dumb and deaf mother to hear words that is why we talk about her to the face of her kid. Being Oba’s dog, I want you to tell to Oba’s face; no weak decree and permanent edict can be founded except the labors that promote the will and happiness of common man. Don’t deprive anybody the means of their livelihood. Freaking jerk!

I fed the mutherfucker with sad words; I know the bitch ass might be in one corner crying by now. Nonsense!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Oxone(m): 6:11am On Jun 03, 2009
okokomeji:

Since nairaland is changing most of my curse words, I may remove some little curse words.

@Oxone. I am looking for that jerk-ass “Kosovo.” He made me start all my expletive cursing and slur.

He was like; don’t go against Oba’s edict, because Oba has gun and vituperative cursing for anybody that goes against his will. This is not the era where you would be doing wedding and Oba would want your bride and send his slaves to ambush or waylay. And if the groom gets to fight, Oba would send him out of town or kill him. Tell them not anymore. The river had surged and new school of fish had been produced.

too bad, am not done with him yet grin grin grin grin
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by dnex(m): 7:50am On Jun 03, 2009
I am not superstitious, but if the Oba says the transport of whole palm fruits should be stopped, it should be stopped.

Jesus went up to the fig tree and cursed it yet none of you are mocking him.
Mohammed said he went to the mountain where a remixed version of the Bible appeared to him and y'all didn't laugh.

What you people don't know is that these cultural and traditional sanctions are what have conserved our environment for thousands of years. The Europeans reached America and laughed at the Native Americans' conservation traditions and natural customs 600 years ago, yet today Al Gore is running around the whole place preaching Global Warming which will bring the end of the world and we're listening.

I support the Oba, and I know he has very good reasons for his pronouncements. The Oba is a gentleman and better educated than most on this forum.

OBA GHA TO KPERE
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 8:03am On Jun 03, 2009
naijaking1:

Too bad all the Benin guys who could make convincing argument for themselves are gone lipsrsealed
Dude, you have tried religion- it didn't work, culture-no way, tribalism-nope, Okija--returned to sender; now you have finally stoop too low to degrade a woman.
You think that's going to work

You must have a low opinion of women if you include osisi in their ranks. I argue on fact not ethnic bigotry, this is about your refusal to accept that everyone including the binis should be free to practice their religion, if it doesn't harm anyone. Your argument is based on tribalism and debasing other peoples ethnicity, if you are interested, the economic argument is listed below and has nothing to do with the Oba.

Vanguard (Lagos)
Nigeria: Palm Oil Producers Decry Lifting of Import Ban

5 January 2009

The Plantation Owners Forum of Nigeria (POFON) has decried the recent plan of the Federal Government to lift the ban on importation of palm oil and other related products as well as approve massive importation of such commodities.

A statement from Mr. Fatai Afolabi, POFON's executive secretary, indicated that a new lifting of the ban, which has been in place for about five years, would have a devastating effect on the investment of those who are involved in local prouduction.

Mr. Afolabi pointed out that "this policy reversal has come without consultation with stakeholders and has brought back to the fore the critical and recurring issue of policy inconsistency as an albatross to the development of our agricultural sector."

According to him, "it is with the deepest concern and utmost displeasure that we received the news of the lifting of the ban on the importation of vegetable oil among other food items whose importation has been banned in the last five years."

He explained that the new tariff regime has replaced the existing ban on the importation of vegetable oil with 35 per cent import duty for the period of 2008 to 2012 for palm oil and its fractions whether or not refined, but not chemically modified; and soybean oil or groundnut oil and its fraction.

The implications, according to Afolabi, are that "this development has already depressed the local vegetable oil industry and the effect on the future of oil palm and other oil seeds is extremely untoward." Moreover, "the current investment in oil palm would become unprofitable, plantation owners will hold back on planned expansion in plantation and milling facilities."

"The whole stretch of the oil palm belt (spanning 24 states)," Afolabi continued, "will experience serious unemployment in their respective rural communities" as "thousands of direct employment will be lost with a multiplier effect on millions of dependants, suppliers and contractors. Rural employment will result in degradation of natural resources and accelerate rural-urban migration."

Afolabi pointed out that, with this decision of the government, "the vision 20/2020 will be considerably threatened."

Afolabi recalled that evidences abound "that the oil palm industry has witnessed phenomenal growth in the last six years, occasioned by the total ban of 2002. Evidences abound also that the periods of marginal growth in the vegetable oil sub-sector in the past coincided with the period of import ban on vegetable oil."

He suggested that the policy reversal of palm oil importation be addressed as a coalition in the NESG's Agric and Food Policy Commission. Describing the tariff change as "least protective," Afolabi stated that "a policy change that is not farmer-friendly and that does not put the least smile on the faces of patriotic Nigerians and foreign investors in primary production cannot, and should not, stand."

Afolabi statement made available to Vanguard a copy of an earlier letter to the Minister of Agriculture, in which POFON complained about smuggling of vegetable oil into the country, while the ban was still in place. According to the letter, "this development has already depressed the local vegetable oil industry and the effect on the future of oil palm development vis-vis the Vegetable Oil Development Programme (VODEP) of the government is extremely untoward."

He therefore urged that "the way forward to achieving steady growth in the oil palm industry in particular, and the agricultural sector in general, is for the recent lifting of the ban on imports of vegetable oil and oil seeds to be reversed."
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 10:38am On Jun 03, 2009
This January 2009 article was unable to calculate the influence and effect of the oba's action in May 2009, so what's your point?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by shawn123: 4:39pm On Jun 03, 2009
No wonder the town and the people are backward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Dede1(m): 8:58pm On Jun 03, 2009
The Oba of Benin has no pedestal authority to arduously proclaim a ban on any produce in Benin City. I am surprised that the current Oba would unknowingly instigate bundles of insults to his person through the banning of palm produce because he is vested in swamp of modern know-how.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by udezue(m): 9:09pm On Jun 03, 2009
LMFAO!!!!!! wow!!!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 6:26pm On Jun 04, 2009
Dede1:

The Oba of Benin has no pedestal authority to arduously proclaim a ban on any produce in Benin City. I am surprised that the current Oba would unknowingly instigate bundles of insults to his person through the banning of palm produce because he is vested in swamp of modern know-how.
The oba's action was unfortunate, but the action of his blind supporters on this forum is tragic embarassed
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Nezan(m): 3:39pm On Jun 06, 2009
I believe Benin people no dey chop palm oil, abi?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Oxone(m): 3:59pm On Jun 06, 2009
naijaking1:

The oba's action was unfortunate, but the action of his blind supporters on this forum is tragic embarassed

i tire o, even the educated ones are not helping matters embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 8:20pm On Jun 06, 2009
Oxone:

i tire o, even the educated ones are not helping matters embarassed embarassed embarassed
If the traditional ruler of my place issues such a baseless and superstitious decree, I will do everything in my power to advice in him private, if he insists on making a fool of himself, I will not say one of support for him.
If learned people did not blindly jump into defending this oba, this thread would have ended a long time ago.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Jakumo(m): 5:28am On Jun 07, 2009
When in Benin, ther fear of palm fruit and nutcases is the beginning of wisdom.

Kill the palm trees! Kill them all !

I love the smell of dead palm trees in the morning. It smells like victory.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by osazu: 1:39pm On Jun 08, 2009
the evil world is real,the oba pronouncement is significant to the evil world in that terretory.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Benin Bronze Mask / Where Does Pidgin English Originate From / Ejire Ara Isokun! Where Exactly Is Isokun?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.