Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,791 members, 7,806,189 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes (6901 Views)

Farm Setup&management: My Story, My Experience And My Success (With Pictures) / How I Lost 5 Million Naira To Poultry Farming. Mistakes Mad ! / Seven Leadership Principles To Learn From An The Bird Eagle ...... Sola Agoro (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 3:53am On Dec 05, 2015
Very recently, I have been given a lot of titles that I don't understand, at best. Prof, Guru, winch, wizard e.t.c I have shared stories of my conquests in cucumber farming, my explorations, my victories but it's time to hear of my Defeat, the one dent in my spotless and stainless cucumber C.V (if I may call it that).

I had a bad run-in in my cucumber business of recent and I want to share, so that some people can learn, and also see that I am by no means a "winch". Lol

You all remember my farm in Ogbomosho I put up for investment? well, if you don't go and read... https://www.nairaland.com/2199401/invest-20-hectare-watermelon-cucumber

That has been the most exciting project I have ever handled. why exciting? because I love the challenge that came with managing a farm of that size, with so much at stake.

Well, here is a brief account of how it all went down, so far
Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by eddyline(m): 4:03am On Dec 05, 2015
following sir
Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 4:20am On Dec 05, 2015
The dream has always been running an agric-based investment company that pays a minimum of 50% ROI every year. Can it be done? Absolutely! Can I do It? Yea sure, piece of cake. I bet you I can make it 50% in 6 months. Can it be done? Absolutely, Can I do it? Read on to find out.

The ogbomosho project was set to commence on the 1st of May, and 6 months later (30th October), the 1st Tranche on the ROI was to be paid. With no tests nor geophysical survey, We had gotten the Land in April, a virgin forest in Ogbomosho (very fertile). We cleared it using a bulldozer, we commenced search for laborers, purchased tools and farm input, procured a farm house, ploughed the land e.t.c

That proved to be the first of a series of deadly mistakes because when we started our bore-hole, we discovered that the area would be unable to produce the required water to irrigate a farm of the size of our's. 3 different surveys were conducted, yet the same result. The survey showed that what we could get at best from the land would be a tenth of what we need. So, great was the problem that we suspended the search for Labour and re-activated the search for Land with "enough water".

We found what we were looking for in mid-July. It was a land close to the Dam in ogbomosho, so we were guaranteed unlimited water supply. And Later in July we started work there, with the few laborers we had on ground. We installed our irrigation all over again and successfully planted sometime in August, (Remember this was a project that should be due in October, Lol). By end august, the downpour of rain came like it was releasing all it had held back through all the months of drought. The dam overflowed, destriyed our farm as much as it could. (From suffering from lack of water, we are now suffering from excess water, Lol). I couldn't understand why the forces of Nature were just trying to mess around with my head. We Fought many battles, we won some and we lost some, but these are the Lessons I have extracted from my Journal. Enjoy

3 Likes

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 4:36am On Dec 05, 2015
1. Before Approving a Land For farm Project, Carry out all necessary survey/Test: Both soil test and geophysical survey should be carried out on a land to determine if the area is good enough for farming, to see the essential nutrients the soil has or lack, to detect any possible deficiency, to be informed on the ph level of the soil e.t.c
I know it's not in the culture here in Nigeria to look deep into stuff like this or spend money on such tests. This is because our Lands are naturally conducive and very good for farming. so we tend to forget/spend little on the science part of the job (agric science) and spend more on the practise (agriculture) and business (agribusiness).

I am one of many farmers who have compromised in this area, I good farmer, a good businessman but a very bad scientist, and that's why I was able to shoot myself on the foot.
A Complete plan for your farm should a detailed report on the features/composition of the soil and even the climate around the area were the crop is to be produced.

I failed here and I suffered for it

Now I can only wonder and imagine how much time, resources and energy I would have saved if I had sacrificed maybe 100k and done the necessary tests and surveys. Most times, without them, you'll still get a positive result (more often than not). But in the rare occasions (like mine) you might be found flat footed, when you are already invested financially. you'll be left wishing you had.

#SAY NO TO TRIAL AND ERROR FARMING, DO NECESSARY TESTS

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by Realdeals(m): 4:37am On Dec 05, 2015
jasper7:
The dream has always been running an agric-based investment company that pays a minimum of 50% ROI every year. Can it be done? Absolutely! Can I do It? Yea sure, piece of cake. I bet you I can make it 50% in 6 months. Can it be done? Absolutely, Can I do it? Read on to find out.

The ogbomosho project was set to commence on the 1st of May, and 6 months later (30th October), the 1st Tranche on the ROI was to be paid. With no tests nor geophysical survey, We had gotten the Land in April, a virgin forest in Ogbomosho (very fertile). We cleared it using a bulldozer, we commenced search for laborers, purchased tools and farm input, procured a farm house, ploughed the land e.t.c

That proved to be the first of a series of deadly mistakes because when we started our bore-hole, we discovered that the area would be unable to produce the required water to irrigate a farm of the size of our's. 3 different surveys were conducted, yet the same result. The survey showed that what we could get at best from the land would be a tenth of what we need. So, great was the problem that we suspended the search for Labour and re-activated the search for Land with "enough water".

We found what we were looking for in mid-July. It was a land close to the Dam in ogbomosho, so we were guaranteed unlimited water supply. And Later in July we started work there, with the few laborers we had on ground. We installed our irrigation all over again and successfully planted sometime in August, (Remember this was a project that should be due in October, Lol). By end august, the downpour of rain came like it was releasing all it had held back through all the months of drought. The dam overflowed, destriyed our farm as much as it could. (From suffering from lack of water, we are now suffering from excess water, Lol). I couldn't understand why the forces of Nature were just trying to mess around with my head. We Fought many battles, we won some and we lost some, but these are the Lessons I have extracted from my Journal. Enjoy

I love your tenacity for Farming, no matter what you are facing now, I'm optimistic that you will pull through. Please don't let what happened dampen your spirit. wink
Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 4:39am On Dec 05, 2015
Realdeals:

I love your tenacity for Farming, no matter what you are facing now, I'm optimistic that you will pull through. Please don't let what happened dampen your spirit. wink
Dampen ke? that one is out of the question o wink

“When defeat comes, accept it as a signal that your plans are not sound, rebuild those plans, and set sail once more toward your coveted goal.”
― Napoleon Hill

1 Like

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 4:46am On Dec 05, 2015
2. try as much as possible to control the environment: I now see why a lot of people install greenhouses, if you can't afford a green house, you have to find a means to control pests, diseases, water, Fire e.t.c So..... do I think with a massive Greenhouse + Hydroponics my work would have been easier? Definitely. But in it's absence use all control measures, drainage, mulching, pesticide, fungicides, shade nets e.t.c

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 4:55am On Dec 05, 2015
3. Labour is still an Issue: I have my team, great guys. they are all graduates and hardworking. but 4 of us can't take down 1 acre effectively, talk less of 25. what I am trying to say is, our strength is in the brain work. I admit, I have feeble hands but my brain is strong. I think the 4 of us account for the skilled labour, but the unskilled labour is so difficult to get and when you get? very expensive and very very unproductive.The foreign help from neighboring African countries (Benin, Togo) are not reliable and not readily available.

so.. a man who quit his job in a bank to farm will suffer because he can't get reliable hands.

Until there's a good solution to this, there's still some work to be done

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 5:02am On Dec 05, 2015
5. It's a great Idea having your farm close to target market: You might be thinking "But the Northern farmers travel all the way to South, East and West to supply products". But the Truth is, that's a lie! Most farmers in the North sell their goods in a collection market and it's transported round by the marketers. Please if your target market is Lagos and your farm is not a massive one, and you don't have a co-operative of farmers, try and make sure your farm is not far from the state (Ogun preferably).

Let me tell you the rationale behind this, A bus from let's say ogbomosho will charge you between 20-30k to carry your goods down to Lagos. If you are a cucumber farmer for instance, that's 60 bags of cucumber at best. (most times less). A bag goes 2500 averagely, that's about 150k from sales. Take out maybe 25k for transport and you are left 125k.

On the other hand a truck cost 40-50k from ogbomosho to Lagos. A truck carries 300 bags averagely, at the 2500 per bag, that will be 750k, if you take out the transport, you are left with 700k. So, if the person with 60 bags had contributed to make up a co-operative's 300bags, He/she would be spending 10k on transport, thereby saving 15k. 15k saved in a 1 month harvest cycle is 150k (at least). Take a moment to think about this.

Another option will be to get your own vehicle/Bus to convey your goods, depending on the size of the farm.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 5:03am On Dec 05, 2015
5. Hotmas911 is a Great Guy!: No doubt about this one, I have been many things to this man, over the course of the past year. Friend, Tenant, Neighbor e.t.c He's a great Landlord, honest, hospitable and a very good businessman. We've had our disagreements, but we always settle quickly.

I now have a house in ogbomosho and that's because I believe I have a friend in hotmas911.

So, when people call to ask about the genuity of his Land or business. Isay to them "that man is brutally honest, to a fault".

6. Peak Of rain is the worst time to Farm: During the Peak of rain, a bag of a cucumber goes for 1500 at mile 12 market. Imagine that! This same bag goes for 4500 during the peak of dry season, can you just imagine that? 3000 difference, all because the rain is gone. How much will irrigation cost you? what price do you have to pay to get that extra N3000? I'll leave you with that as food for thought.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 5:03am On Dec 05, 2015
7. Mechanization is the way forward: After ruminating and agonising over the unavailability of land and inadequacies of Labour, i have come to the humble conclusion that getting the required machines that will reduce your need for labour can be the long lasting solution to this labour.

There are machines that can handle almost every part of the farm procedure, from planting, transplanting, bed making, weeding, fertilizer and chemical application, even up to harvest.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 5:05am On Dec 05, 2015
8. Control Your market: As much as possible, try to sell in a market you have control over. A market that needs you, not mile12. That market does not need us, we tend to need it more than it needs us so it tends to dictate our every move.

I have a lot of Ideas on this one, I cannot start sharing now. But take a moment to think about it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by miqos02(m): 5:47am On Dec 05, 2015
hmmm
Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 11:38am On Dec 05, 2015
And for those wondering If I paid my investors? yes I did. 50% after a bit over 6 months. Not every one though. the second phase of investors are due for payment this December. Did I succeed in the project? No. Why? because the heights we expected to reach, we didn't reach. We just had 3 months out of 6months to work. Is Agric profitable? I am 100% positive it is. And I am a witness to that.

7 Likes

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by ruxton06(m): 12:14pm On Dec 05, 2015
I do love your spirit! Keep at it.
Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jamace(m): 2:59pm On Dec 05, 2015
Great!
Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 05, 2015
Oga jasper7, I've been trying to reach you o. Please check your email.
Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 5:46pm On Dec 05, 2015
Fortissimo:
Oga jasper7, I've been trying to reach you o. Please check your email.
seen the mail, replied. My big oga
Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 05, 2015
jasper7:

seen the mail, replied. My big oga

I no see am oh. Maybe you replied another email.
Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by adedam007(m): 8:03pm On Dec 05, 2015
love your write up. I give kudos to you and I must admit you are a very good writer,a great farmer and a mentor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by solbash11(m): 8:13pm On Dec 05, 2015
@jasper7, well done bro.
keep the spirit high, you'll have so much success stories to share after this.

1 Like

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by eddyline(m): 12:20am On Dec 06, 2015
indeed very helpful tips sir. i just love your tenacity even in the face of difficult moments.
Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by Nobody: 2:50am On Dec 06, 2015
Thanks bro for sharing your great insights.
Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by Bitos: 8:10am On Dec 06, 2015
Part of your points that have hit me most are the issue of labour and irrigation. They may not appear to be much from initial thought but can go a long way to determining the success and profitability of any agricultural venture.

I've spent a lot just trying to find a way around this and still on it but, of course, every stage is a lesson learnt...amanla awetu!

I must say that any interested investor or intending farmer should just read up your write-up, it's worth millions of naira yet free on this platform...only those already in it can testify to this.

Keep it up bro and hope to do business with you someday.

2 Likes

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by Pavore9: 10:29am On Dec 06, 2015
Faculties of Agriculture in various Nigerian Universities need to set up commercial soil testing centres and sensitize local farmers on the need to have their soil tested. They should train field agents stationed in different areas on how to take soil samples. They collect the samples from farms and forward them to the soil testing centres then after 7-10 days they get the result and given fertilizer recommendation.

Soil testing is as low N4,000 here in Kenya.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 11:02am On Dec 06, 2015
Pavore9:
Faculties of Agriculture in various Nigerian Universities need to set up commercial soil testing centres and sensitize local farmers on the need to have their soil tested. They should train field agents stationed in different areas on how to take soil samples. They collect the samples from farms and forward them to the soil testing centres then after 7-10 days they get the result and given fertilizer recommendation.

Soil testing is as low N4,000 here in Kenya.
Exactly! soil testing is very very important. I won't have known untill I fell a victim of negligence. and N4,000 for test? shocked that's very cheap o. Here in Nigeria, the cheapest I've seen is N20,000 embarassed
Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 11:03am On Dec 06, 2015
adedam007:
love your write up. I give kudos to you and I must admit you are a very good writer,a great farmer and a mentor
Thanks sir, I am flattered. Maybe I am yet to discover the "Soyinka" side of me cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 11:04am On Dec 06, 2015
Bitos:
Part of your points that have hit me most are the issue of labour and irrigation. They may not appear to be much from initial thought but can go a long way to determining the success and profitability of any agricultural venture.

I've spent a lot just trying to find a way around this and still on it but, of course, every stage is a lesson learnt...amanla awetu!

I must say that any interested investor or intending farmer should just read up your write-up, it's worth millions of naira yet free on this platform...only those already in it can testify to this.

Keep it up bro and hope to do business with you someday.
My brother, no be small thing o. Farming in Nigeria is a constant battle. We have to keep fighting everyday.

1 Like

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 11:05am On Dec 06, 2015
solbash11:
@jasper7, well done bro.

keep the spirit high, you'll have so much success stories to share after this.
I have to say AMEN to that o. Sometimes it takes a defeat to value the victories

2 Likes

Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by Pavore9: 1:19pm On Dec 06, 2015
jasper7:

Exactly! soil testing is very very important. I won't have known untill I fell a victim of negligence. and N4,000 for test? shocked that's very cheap o. Here in Nigeria, the cheapest I've seen is N20,000 embarassed

N20,000? The N4,000 is even by private soil testing centres while government agencies are even cheaper.
Re: Learn From My Success As Well As My Mistakes by jasper7(m): 8:58pm On Dec 06, 2015
Pavore9:

N20,000? The N4,000 is even by private soil testing centres while government agencies are even cheaper.
That's interesting. Maybe there are cheaper ones in Nigeria, but I have not seen them. What we are doing here in Nigeria has left so much to be desired. And the government is not helping matters at all. I just hope the "CHANGE" is still coming, and it will reach the agric sector

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Do Plantain Farm Setup, Management And Marketing.*pics* / 1m Naira Is Ready . Show Me An Agricultural Investment That Adds Me Value / List Of The 11 Most Lucrative Agricultural Ventures In Order of Importance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.