Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,873 members, 7,802,809 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) (23636 Views)

Bisi Alimi Slams Senators Behind Anti Same Sex Bill (Photo) / Senate Clarifies Social Media Bill Rumours / Sahara Reporters And Ben Murray-Bruce 'Fight' Over Social Media Bill(Tweets) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by vikajef(m): 12:32pm On Dec 05, 2015
bumi10:

You are as foolish as your post. I meant no disrespect.

Even a whole EFCC cannot even prove a single case against this so called politicians and you now want individauls to get evidence before they publish a post.

Are you tell me if I say Tinubu is a criminal and he looted a lot of properties in Lagos, I should be prosecuted as a criminal? Everybody knows he looted but even EFCC can't investigate him because of federal might. and now u want me to watch my mouth or be prosecuted.

May God shot ur mouth for you. nonsense.

This is the most unintelligent and clueless response I've ever seen on NL. Except you cannot read properly or understand simple English. A lot of innocent individuals have found themselves in jails cuz of false claims and accusations. You know the Justice system in this country where you're criminalize even before trials begin. This bill simply want accusers to have real facts or evidence before making accusations. Tell someone more objective to help you read the bill again since you're too blindfolded with ignorance. I don't trade insults with ignorant folks.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by lagosrd: 12:35pm On Dec 05, 2015
sammyj:
If this happens then Saraki and his senators will be in for it as the good people of Nigeria will not tolerate any form of invasion or impunity on freedom of speech. However, the electorate should learn a lesson of not only focusing on the executives alone but focus more on this g@@d for nothing legislators during the election.!!! angry shocked cool

Keep deceiving yourself. They are gradually spreading their tentacles of supressing the youths instead of job creation. Now the zeal and interest to say your views on political issues will die a sudden death in the lives of Nigerian youths. Those making legit money from online blog will be in for it. The truth is that most of this people are still in a state of confusion as to how and where Nigerian youths gets all their secrets. Anyway all I have heard all my life is that the youths are the strength of any nation but one of our politician don talk say over population is the real strength of any nation. Instead of empowering the youths we are busy breading poverty and giving birth to armed robbers and pen robbers.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by chachanga: 12:54pm On Dec 05, 2015
femi1410:
Buhari should never sign this bill into law, in as much as I hated Jonathan's administration, we all called him all sought of names on social media and on radio but that man never tampered with the freedom of speech and expression we are all entitled to.
We are entitled to our opinion, but ones opinion might be wrong another might be correct it is based on the way we both look at it -Abraham Lincoln
The Voice of the people must be heard because it is the government of the PEOPLE by the PEOPLE and for the PEOPLE

Ohhhh oooooo
Now that the fowl is coming home to roost, news songs (of regret) are being sung!

Even in developed countries, more ingenious and permanent ways are creatively adopted at curbing excesses of the media which incidentally happens to be the fourth realm of the state.

But what do we see with this mentally lazy, brain-dead, self-seeking mofos; every single time, there is a challenge, it's gotta be the people's rights that get axed!

Prove to me that tampering with media freedom is the optimal means of guaranteeing good reportage, just prove it and then I know that the unqualified gerontocrat and his loony band are not godforsaken after all!

Welcome to the New reality where the press is screw.ed with impunity.

1 Like

Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by marked10(m): 1:03pm On Dec 05, 2015
vikajef:

This is the most unintelligent and clueless response I've ever seen on NL. Except you cannot read properly or understand simple English. A lot of innocent individuals have found themselves in jails cuz of false claims and accusations. You know the Justice system in this country where you're criminalize even before trials begin. This bill simply want accusers to have real facts or evidence before making accusations. Tell someone more objective to help you read the bill again since you're too blindfolded with ignorance. I don't trade insults with ignorant folks.

I think you are very wrong and you also need to look at these things objective. I may even say you are an agent of APC but let me reserve that comment.

No matter what accusation the press melt on you, it will never take you to jail because you must tendered compelling evidence to prove a case in court though i admit that press also play a part. But is that part enough to take a way the freedom of speech in this country? court is different from the press and that is why court cannot convict anyone on circumstantial evidence. press will always be press and stripping their privilege is not and will never be the way forward.

Do you even know what the absence of critics will does to an organization or an institute? Think about what it will do to this country. we are gone if that bill sees the light of the day.

1 Like

Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by gudmind: 1:29pm On Dec 05, 2015
Dis is what happens when fools #APC supporters# voted for fools to rule. Eno concern me
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by vikajef(m): 1:34pm On Dec 05, 2015
marked10:

I think you are very wrong and you also need to look at these things objective. I may even say you are an agent of APC but let me reserve that comment.

No matter what accusation the press melt on you, it will never take you to jail because you must tendered compelling evidence to prove a case in court though i admit that press also play a part. But is that part enough to take a way the freedom of speech in this country? court is different from the press and that is why court cannot convict anyone on circumstantial evidence. press will always be press and stripping their privilege is not and will never be the way forward.

Do you even know what the absence of critics will does to an organization or an institute? Think about what it will do to this country. we are gone if that bill sees the light of the day.

Better this time, I agree that press must always be press, buh note: the bill never stops any press, media or persons from posting on Facebook, Twitter or any social media platform. It doesn't also stops any media, press or persons from criticizing the government or anyone, by the way, criticism doesn't need evidence. It only seeks to reduce and regulate the volume of falsehood spewed by most media platforms. If you'll agree with me, a lot of people's names have always been battered by false accusations before the truth eventually comes out. This bill will make media outfits and even anti-graft agencies make proper investigation before spewing baseless information to the public. It'll also help sanitize the media profession. I'm neither an APC member nor a governments sympathizer... Buh a well-informed, learned and Patriotic Nigerian. I don't do sentiments...
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by oluwasegun007(m): 1:35pm On Dec 05, 2015
IF THEY EVENTUALLY PASS D BILL INTO LAW, AM GONNA LOCK MA VOTERS CARD IN THE SAFE, NOT BRINGING IT OUT UNTIL 2023.....
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by marked10(m): 2:16pm On Dec 05, 2015
vikajef:

Better this time, I agree that press must always be press, buh note: the bill never stops any press, media or persons from posting on Facebook, Twitter or any social media platform. It doesn't also stops any media, press or persons from criticizing the government or anyone, by the way, criticism doesn't need evidence. It only seeks to reduce and regulate the volume of falsehood spewed by most media platforms. If you'll agree with me, a lot of people's names have always been battered by false accusations before the truth eventually comes out. This bill will make media outfits and even anti-graft agencies make proper investigation before spewing baseless information to the public. It'll also help sanitize the media profession. I'm neither an APC member nor a governments sympathizer... Buh a well-informed, learned and Patriotic Nigerian. I don't do sentiments...

Good we have an understanding. But am scared. You know why? Am afraid of the judiciary because something you may interpret one way is not what they will interpret it to be. I have always said that law is not and will never be a common English language. Am telling you my dear, this is a systematic way of bringing decree 4 during Buhari regime in 1983 back, though i wasn't born then but don't insult me with that ....lol.

They say action begets action and if this bill is allowed to stand, watch it, we will be in for the second stage. I no their are some media outlets that spill out jargon but the law is already their to hold them accountable. why all this then if they don't have an agenda? truth is almost all the media outlets have always said one lie or the other against or for all these politicians. Lets not forget that it is also these politicians that manipulate the media to their advantages.

For God sake, media have always be a tool for politicians to use and manipulate to their advantage. ranging from The Sun, The nation, Sahara Reporters, AIT, TVC etc which will i mention and which will i leave? I think what is going on is that their are some social media influencers that the government cannot get to and they are so afraid of what those people can do and they are trying to curtail them.

Freedom of speech should be allowed too stand cuz that is the hallmark of democracy.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Vulu: 2:37pm On Dec 05, 2015
SENSBIBLE PEOPLE KNEW THIS WAS COMING. YOU ELECT A DESPOT AND WANT FREEDOM OF SPEECH? YOU DEY CRAZE?
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by nairalander111(m): 2:40pm On Dec 05, 2015
I don't see the electorates electing their candidates by casting their votes,I only see politicians who rig themselves into power by any means necessary.
sammyj:
Then let us be much more vigilant in the next election so as not to make the wrong set of people oversee our legislation !!!
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by dollarathe(m): 2:48pm On Dec 05, 2015
what is bad in d bill ? just know that you ll be accountable for whatever u spread on social media is all I see o... may be some pipul are seeing more than that sha...
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Image123(m): 2:54pm On Dec 05, 2015
Mogidi:

Who voted for these APC senators?

Election and campaign are long over. The APC barely has a majority/upper hand in the Senate than the PDP in terms of number or committee representation. Get serious with life and fight the right fights.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by sammyj: 2:58pm On Dec 05, 2015
In politics we say let the minority have their say and let the majority have their way which implies we the masses who are the majority in the election process unite together and have our way while the politicians who are the minority have their say. United we stand and divided we fall. cool wink
nairalander111:
I don't see the electorates electing their candidates by casting their votes,I only see politicians who rig themselves into power by any means necessary.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Image123(m): 2:58pm On Dec 05, 2015
lagosrd:

Keep deceiving yourself. They are gradually spreading their tentacles of supressing the youths instead of job creation. Now the zeal and interest to say your views on political issues will die a sudden death in the lives of Nigerian youths. Those making legit money from online blog will be in for it. The truth is that most of this people are still in a state of confusion as to how and where Nigerian youths gets all their secrets. Anyway all I have heard all my life is that the youths are the strength of any nation but one of our politician don talk say over population is the real strength of any nation. Instead of empowering the youths we are busy breading poverty and giving birth to armed robbers and pen robbers.

Come to think of it, i think passage of the bill would encourage critical thinking. It's high time our youths stopped frivolity and propaganda, and embrace responsibility, integrity and truth.

1 Like

Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Memyselfu2009(m): 3:19pm On Dec 05, 2015
Pass a bill that will fight corruption increase d standard of living create jobs bring about security, Not a bill that's would make people not check mate you. Whether they like it no not Nigeria would always comment when they Fall our hand like now even if the bill is pass.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by vikajef(m): 3:24pm On Dec 05, 2015
[quote author=Image123 post=40713752]

Come to think of it, i think passage of the bill would encourage critical thinking. It's high time our youths stopped frivolity and propaganda, and embrace responsibility, integrity and truth.[/quote

Exactly what I'm talking about...

1 Like

Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by princechigzy(m): 3:30pm On Dec 05, 2015
Flashh:
I won't buy this PDP's propaganda at all.

Young Man, The bill is being sponsored by an APC Senator and Supported by Senator Dino Melaye and other APC Senators, So its no PDP Propaganda!
Study and be wise, Stop being driven by useless partisan sentiment.

2 Likes

Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by vikajef(m): 3:38pm On Dec 05, 2015
marked10:

Good we have an understanding. But am scared. You know why? Am afraid of the judiciary because something you may interpret one way is not what they will interpret it to be. I have always said that law is not and will never be a common English language. Am telling you my dear, this is a systematic way of bringing decree 4 during Buhari regime in 1983 back, though i wasn't born then but don't insult me with that ....lol.

They say action begets action and if this bill is allowed to stand, watch it, we will be in for the second stage. I no their are some media outlets that spill out jargon but the law is already their to hold them accountable. why all this then if they don't have an agenda? truth is almost all the media outlets have always said one lie or the other against or for all these politicians. Lets not forget that it is also these politicians that manipulate the media to their advantages.

For God sake, media have always be a tool for politicians to use and manipulate to their advantage. ranging from The Sun, The nation, Sahara Reporters, AIT, TVC etc which will i mention and which will i leave? I think what is going on is that their are some social media influencers that the government cannot get to and they are so afraid of what those people can do and they are trying to curtail them.

Freedom of speech should be allowed too stand cuz that is the hallmark of democracy.

Well said bro, I totally subscribe to freedom of speech and the press. Also, as you rightly said, most politicians use various media channels to blackmail, and not '' criticize'' perceived political opponents. Therefore, the usefulness of this bill, politicians, even those in government, can nolonger use any media outlet to falsely accuse political rivals... You can see what is going between Gov Oshimole and Ex-minister of Finance. We don't know who to believe, cuz no facts and figures...hence we need checkmate such baseless argument in the polity.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by HOTARIO(m): 5:56pm On Dec 05, 2015
Op, is this the Bill? The long title says "A bill to prohibit frivolous petitions" and the explanatory memorandum says to ensure that no one files a petition without a sworn affidavit.

I do not think this is a bill to kill social media. The essence of the sworn affidavit is to ensure that before anyone petitions against another person such petition must have a sworn affidavit verifying the facts in the petition. The effect is that if the petition is investigated and turns out it is frivolous, the marker has committed an offence. This is without prejudice to the offence of perjury the person can be prosecuted for false allegations.

If this is the true intentions of the bill, then social media has nothing to worry about.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Excellentmind: 5:57pm On Dec 05, 2015
This will certainly teach this generation of thoughtless youths a lesson they will not be in a hurry to forget in their lives.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Nobody: 6:36pm On Dec 05, 2015
Funny enough the freedom of speech on social media this people are suppressing played a huge role in bringing them into power, more like sabotaging the bridge because you have seemingly crossed over.

1 Like

Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by themanderon: 7:09pm On Dec 05, 2015
vikajef:
I see nothing wrong with this bill...lack of understanding, sentiment and ignorance is the main issue here. The bill simple seeks to criminalize making false claims and accusations without evidence or truth. So all those condemning the Senate should take a second look at the intent of the bill. I will always support social media freedom but not freedom of false and baseless accusations.

you will see nothing wrong with it until the police/ DSS knock on your doors and tell you u are under arrest for a statement you made online. that's how Hitler started his own by gagging the press.

1 Like

Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by flamingREED(m): 7:27pm On Dec 05, 2015
Image123:

Come to think of it, i think passage of the bill would encourage critical thinking. It's high time our youths stopped frivolity and propaganda, and embrace responsibility, integrity and truth.
OKAY. This be my first political post. In what advanced nation of the world, where people have IQ's higher than ours and are more capable of critical thinking, is such a law in force? Pray tell. In what obvious ways of late has propaganda thwarted a just cause of governance? Why exactly is the government afraid of propaganda? Okay, I know propaganda and rumours are unhealthy, but how'bout preempting an irrational move by the powers that be? Must everyone think the government is right? Will we still be able to voice-0ut our suspicions and perceived hidden motives of government actions? And what if indeed the government conceives some malicious intent, or altogether is caught red-handed with notoriety, will we still publish such against it? If the government denies the truth, can I fight her judiciary? Do you see then how that speaking the truth could be deathly under the auspices of such a law? But doubting, analysing, hypothsizing, criticisms, experimenting, confutations and press-rebutals are the inalienable rights of every people who must choose the manner/method of the government under which they live.

1 Like

Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by unclejb2(m): 7:34pm On Dec 05, 2015
Mogidi:

Who voted for these APC senators?
the brainwashed people of the zoo did in other to foist the imperialist fulani man and their agenda on the rest of us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by unclejb2(m): 7:38pm On Dec 05, 2015
HOTARIO:
Op, is this the Bill? The long title says "A bill to prohibit frivolous petitions" and the explanatory memorandum says to ensure that no one files a petition without a sworn affidavit.

I do not think this is a bill to kill social media. The essence of the sworn affidavit is to ensure that before anyone petitions against another person such petition must have a sworn affidavit verifying the facts in the petition. The effect is that if the petition is investigated and turns out it is frivolous, the marker has committed an offence. This is without prejudice to the offence of perjury the person can be prosecuted for false allegations.

If this is the true intentions of the bill, then social media has nothing to worry about.

after the apc benefited from the social media, then they want to kill it. Face the truth, Nigeria is fast dying

1 Like

Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by manutdadex(m): 8:10pm On Dec 05, 2015
vikajef:
I see nothing wrong with this bill...lack of understanding, sentiment and ignorance is the main issue here. The bill simple seeks to criminalize making false claims and accusations without evidence or truth. So all those condemning the Senate should take a second look at the intent of the bill. I will always support social media freedom but not freedom of false and baseless accusations.
young man, so who decides d truth or false of d infos? This is y i dont bother myself voting on election days because d sensible ones are too little to d insane ones
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by phiszo(m): 9:26pm On Dec 05, 2015
Ok
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by dealslip(f): 9:47pm On Dec 05, 2015
o
Flashh:
I won't buy this PDP's propaganda at all.
oh please shut up! cant we deal serious issues like freedom of speech without you guys interjecting politics? An APC senator sponsored the bill what has PDP got to do with this?
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Flashh: 9:54pm On Dec 05, 2015
dealslip:
o

oh please shut up! cant we deal serious issues like freedom of speech without you guys interjecting politics? An APC senator sponsored the bill what has PDP got to do with this?
Tell me when you open your eyes so that you would be able to see things. Wailers as usual. The will always bring out lame points from their ass.

You can go home and tell your elders to shut up!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Celebrates The Obituary Of ‘Made-In-Taiwan’ Recall Exercise / BREAKING: Kano Assembly Impeaches Speaker / Construction Works Begin On Agbara, Lusada Roads In Ogun - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.