Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:59 PM

A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. (7506 Views)

No Batch "A" Stream II Corps Will Be Posted To Borno Or Yobe States- NYSC / NYSC Postpones The Orientation Course For All Corp Members Posted To Borno / KOGI - 2016 A Corp Members Posted To Kogi Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by as1siddiq: 11:26am On Dec 05, 2015
Getting it right!!!
(Copa-ticha episode 1)
Some south western Nigerians will never travel to the northern part of the country because of ‘harsh weather’ but will not mind a visa to Canada. Surely, harsh weather is not their problem, the gain in it is. That’s a similitude of those who evade and affront the teaching profession. Unfortunately, many of them end up in the classroom during service year. My advice to you is that you should give the job a try. It’s needless however to bore you with “nobility of teaching” or other things you never wanted to listen to. Instead I will like you to know that posting you to school is unprofessional. Teaching is not ‘no man’s job’, some people really studied it to practice it.
According to the government, you are in the school because the educational sector needs ‘help’ and you can render that because you are a graduate. Contending that will only result to a waste of time, all you need to do is to prove to the government that you are brainy has it thinks.
If you just said or thought of ‘who cares’ or a similar expression. Really! No one cares in whose custody the futures of the nation is nurtured. That’s why many of our schools are constituted of quack teachers answerable to an employer who knows near to nothing about education.
You may not care too, your teachers likely didn’t. If you are today, what you are as a product of a system that never cared, then imagine what the children could be if you ‘care’. If you still see the teaching job as a calamity, know! You are in the school to help the children, they are innocent of “what befell you”, and they should not be treated as victims of that. Many of them will like to be like you, inspire them! Motivate them! Let them ‘feel’ you. If not, don’t be taken by surprise that when your students conclude that people who study whatever discipline you studied, graduates to be like you.
If you love to learn how to really inspire and motivate while you teach your students, you can follow my posts as I bring to you interesting lessons in episodes.
Thank you.
https://siddiqoye./2015/12/05/getting-it-right-copa-ticha-episode-1/#more-46

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by bife: 2:41pm On Dec 05, 2015
following!

1 Like

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by ims80s(m): 6:32pm On Dec 05, 2015
nice one am waithing

2 Likes

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by Royalsettle: 9:18pm On Dec 05, 2015
Gud one! I encourage u to post d next...

2 Likes

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by eROCK247(m): 10:40pm On Dec 05, 2015
Waiting...

2 Likes

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by as1siddiq: 9:06am On Dec 07, 2015
First impression…
(Copa-ticha episode 2)
Day 1 at school, ensure you arrive early, exchange greeting and pleasantries with members of staff, your new colleagues. Don’t forget to smile as you respond to the greetings of the kids who are curious to know who the new uncle or aunty is (God knows the origin of the usage of those words). Dress to teach and not to ‘kill’. Every step you make matters but don’t be too mindful lest you over “act”.
First impression they say, last longer. Getting to the classroom, you will appreciate it is a nice session. You’ll be happily welcomed, you are safe even if glossophobic, be relaxed, no one will boo you, as the students will either respect you or pretend to. Device appealing means to put your love in their hearts. Know! Students will never love a subject being taught by a teacher they detest. Mathematics teachers should be conscious of this!
Introduce yourself to the class and request for individual introduction from them too, if the class is so large that time won’t permit that, you can take a few and follow that sequence in the following classes. It is important to know however, introduction is not for fun, as a teacher, you have to know your students.
The next step in knowing your students is knowing their ability. This, you will know by conducting a DIAGNOSTIC TEST.
What’s a diagnostic test?
Diagnostic test is a measurement of students' understanding of a subject area. It is a tool for teachers who want to know where their students are academically in order to bring those students to where they need to be. You may conduct this assessment orally or in written form, but let them know it’s not part of their continuous assessment. No magic is involved, since you must have seen the scheme of work, questions for the test will be based on the work done in the previous term. With this, you will know your students’ ability.
Before a class scenario, preparations must have come. We didn’t treat that because teaching in real sense will likely not take place on the first day. In the next episode of copa-ticha, we will discuss how to prepare for a class. Watch out!
Thank you!
https://siddiqoye./2015/12/07/first-impression-copa-ticha-episode-2/#more-61

1 Like

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by eROCK247(m): 11:01am On Dec 07, 2015
Thanks for the piece. But how long do we have to wait for d next episode?
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by Mcowubaba: 12:37pm On Dec 07, 2015
Reason why most corpers don't want to teach:

1. The believe/feel teaching is not as lucrative as other jobs (the prefer to work in banks, parastatals, ministries, firms etc)

2. Teaching can be more tasking than other jobs, eg; making notes, marking notes, assignments, exams, recording of scores, supervision etc

3. Some schs are not properly equip, my frnd was sent to sch that has no roof in the classrooms, some students learn under the tree, some bring umbrella to class during rainy season to shield themselves from rainfall inside the class shocked cheesy

4. Depending on ur principal, scheme of work nd timetable, a Corper may be going to work "everyday" (8am-2pm or more)..nd u we all knw that most of our Nigerian youths don't like such esp wen there is no much incentive...

On the other hand "few" corps members are usually happy nd desirous to teach.... So 1 man's meat is another man's poison...
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by as1siddiq: 2:11pm On Dec 08, 2015
eROCK247:
Thanks for the piece. But how long do we have to wait for d next episode?
You are welcome. Pardon me for the delay. I have not been feeling alright.

2 Likes

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by as1siddiq: 2:12pm On Dec 08, 2015
Before going in…
(Copa-ticha episode 3)
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail is a common statement teachers make when encouraging their students to study hard for examinations. Amazingly, it chiefly admonishes the teachers. Not only is preparation an essential component of every lesson, it may be said to be the most tedious and time consuming. Little wonder, many teachers do not pay attention to it. Before I scare you, it’s good to know that preparation has only two main bases; possession of pedagogical knowledge and knowledge of the subject matter.
The pedagogical knowledge is what this series is all about, while the latter is all you know about the subject or the topic as the case may be. The duo are equally important. Esteem reader! Your knowledge of the subject matter will not be adequate until you revise by studying available textbook(s) and doing a bit of e-research, especially when you teach students that are enlightened, they may know better than you do.
In the preparatory stage, you also need to look for the best instructional material (teaching aid) for your topic, obtain it from the school collection, craft or buy it, if need be. By the way, instructional materials are very important in teaching such that this series will not be complete without an episode being dedicated to the great agent of comprehension.
The gallant men with sophisticated weapons do not go into battling, without drawing out a plan. Likewise a skillful teacher with his/her teaching aids needs a lesson plan to get a perfect class session. The Lesson Plan is what dispense the curriculum to the final consumer.
Lesson note as the British call it, is not merely the content of the lesson but a sub to the scheme of work describing the ‘what and how’ of a particular lesson. It could be drawn out in a prose or tabular format and its length varies depending on the experience of the teacher. Let’s look forward to episodes discussing basic components of the lesson plan/note. Just as we watch out for the next episode of copa-ticha!
Thanks
https://siddiqoye./2015/12/08/before-going-in-copa-ticha-episode-3/#more-67

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by as1siddiq: 2:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
Mcowubaba:
Reason why most corpers don't want to teach:

1. The believe/feel teaching is not as lucrative as other jobs (the prefer to work in banks, parastatals, ministries, firms etc)

2. Teaching can be more tasking than other jobs, eg; making notes, marking notes, assignments, exams, recording of scores, supervision etc

3. Some schs are not properly equip, my frnd was sent to sch that has no roof in the classrooms, some students learn under the tree, some bring umbrella to class during rainy season to shield themselves from rainfall inside the class shocked cheesy

4. Depending on ur principal, scheme of work nd timetable, a Corper may be going to work "everyday" (8am-2pm or more)..nd u we all knw that most of our Nigerian youths don't like such esp wen there is no much incentive...

On the other hand "few" corps members are usually happy nd desirous to teach.... So 1 man's meat is another man's poison...
good observations you got there. However, if those points do not exist, there wont be a need to write this series.

2 Likes

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by as1siddiq: 12:48pm On Dec 09, 2015
Don’t go in alone…
(Copa-ticha episode 4)
A teacher began: “today, we will be discussing computer hardware…he continued…blah blah blah then ended with the habitual question ‘do you understand?’ the students accompanied it with a loud roar of ‘yeees’. A few weeks later, the students sat for a test on the same topic but 75% of them failed. That’s not weird, of course the students said they understood because a further explanation will make the lesson more complex and confusing. This is a problem that can be avoided with the use of an instructional material.
What is an instructional material?
Teaching aid as otherwise known, is any material teachers in conveying information to the students. For instance in a mathematics class, a teacher cuts an orange into four and shows the pupils that a part represents one-quarter, the orange in this case is an instructional material.
As a teacher, the first step to take is to look for the most appropriate I.M for your lesson. Your choice may be influenced by the age and level of exposure of the students, while population of students in class ought to be considered for effective usage of teaching aids.
Teaching aids could be visual (pictures, chart, 3D objects etc.), audio, audio-visual (video clips), community resources as in field trips and likewise human resources, for instance, inviting a talking-drummer to demonstrate one of traditional means of communication. The best instructional material however is a real object, students understand the concept of weed better when they see the plant in the class than seeing it in a pictorial form.
When instructional materials are not readily available in school, take it as a duty to improvise using cheap and available materials. Spending 1% of your allawee to photocopy certain images is service and humility. Creation of Instructional materials may be assigned to the students, they will appreciate the topic better. I remember my Medical scientist mum sent my teacher a microscope to teach ‘Germs and diseases’, only then could I differentiate a germ from an insect.
The choice and usage of instructional material tells how resourceful a teacher is. If your school is boarding, you may request that movies or documentaries that assist learning your subject be shown during leisure. I wish my teacher showed me the ‘History of Nigeria by Jide Olanrewaju’, I might have passed Government better.
These are not stressful, neither are they ‘over sabi’ nor ‘ITK’ as some suppose teachers may see them, instead they are what make a good teacher and are necessary in building the leaders of tomorrow. Hence, be the kind of teacher you want for your child!
Thank You!
https://siddiqoye./2015/12/09/dont-go-in-alone-copa-ticha-episode-4/#more-71

1 Like

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by bife: 2:31pm On Dec 09, 2015
as1siddiq:
Don’t go in alone…
(Copa-ticha episode 4)
A teacher began: “today, we will be discussing computer hardware…he continued…blah blah blah then ended with the habitual question ‘do you understand?’ the students accompanied it with a loud roar of ‘yeees’. A few weeks later, the students sat for a test on the same topic but 75% of them failed. That’s not weird, of course the students said they understood because a further explanation will make the lesson more complex and confusing. This is a problem that can be avoided with the use of an instructional material.
What is an instructional material?
Teaching aid as otherwise known, is any material teachers in conveying information to the students. For instance in a mathematics class, a teacher cuts an orange into four and shows the pupils that a part represents one-quarter, the orange in this case is an instructional material.
As a teacher, the first step to take is to look for the most appropriate I.M for your lesson. Your choice may be influenced by the age and level of exposure of the students, while population of students in class ought to be considered for effective usage of teaching aids.
Teaching aids could be visual (pictures, chart, 3D objects etc.), audio, audio-visual (video clips), community resources as in field trips and likewise human resources, for instance, inviting a talking-drummer to demonstrate one of traditional means of communication. The best instructional material however is a real object, students understand the concept of weed better when they see the plant in the class than seeing it in a pictorial form.
When instructional materials are not readily available in school, take it as a duty to improvise using cheap and available materials. Spending 1% of your allawee to photocopy certain images is service and humility. Creation of Instructional materials may be assigned to the students, they will appreciate the topic better. I remember my Medical scientist mum sent my teacher a microscope to teach ‘Germs and diseases’, only then could I differentiate a germ from an insect.
The choice and usage of instructional material tells how resourceful a teacher is. If your school is boarding, you may request that movies or documentaries that assist learning your subject be shown during leisure. I wish my teacher showed me the ‘History of Nigeria by Jide Olanrewaju’, I might have passed Government better.
These are not stressful, neither are they ‘over sabi’ nor ‘ITK’ as some suppose teachers may see them, instead they are what make a good teacher and are necessary in building the leaders of tomorrow. Hence, be the kind of teacher you want for your child!
Thank You!
https://siddiqoye./2015/12/09/dont-go-in-alone-copa-ticha-episode-4/#more-71

BE THE KIND OF TEACHER YOU WANT FOR YOUR CHILD... every parents want teachers to perform 'magic' but few knows what it takes. This thread is becoming FP worthy

1 Like

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by Uniquelyunique1: 2:36pm On Dec 09, 2015
bife:

BE THE KIND OF TEACHER YOU WANT FOR YOUR CHILD... every parents want teachers to perform 'magic' but few knows what it takes. This thread is becoming FP worthy

Seriously! It takes a lot to be a teacher... Following....
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by Solomonodimegwu(m): 4:57pm On Dec 10, 2015
Op God hv used u to answer my prayers, i was posted to a sch for my PA, nw i knw where to start frm. Thank u
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by Kingsmaonyema(m): 8:17am On Dec 11, 2015
op nice job. pls keep them coming
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by Kingsmaonyema(m): 8:19am On Dec 11, 2015
op nice job. pls more
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by as1siddiq: 6:43pm On Dec 11, 2015
Solomonodimegwu:
Op God hv used u to answer my prayers, i was posted to a sch for my PA, nw i knw where to start frm. Thank u
it's my pleasure, you're welcome. I pray it become more easy for you.
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by as1siddiq: 6:45pm On Dec 11, 2015
I thank you all for the compliments, I'm sorry for not sending in updates, that's due to illness. I'm not in a good mood to write, I pray I get well soon to continue the updates. thank you for understanding.

1 Like

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by Solomonodimegwu(m): 11:42pm On Dec 11, 2015
May God grant u quick recovery
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by prettyjo(f): 11:51pm On Dec 11, 2015
very nice
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by Kingsmaonyema(m): 12:07pm On Dec 12, 2015
as1siddiq:
I thank you all for the compliments, I'm sorry for not sending in updates, that's due to illness. I'm not in a good mood to write, I pray I get well soon to continue the updates. thank you for understanding.

get well soon.
pele
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by as1siddiq: 8:07pm On Dec 12, 2015
Kingsmaonyema:

get well soon.
pele
eshe sir.
the next episode is here...
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by Maxcollins042(m): 9:45pm On Dec 12, 2015
In as much as you are making good points,it's not everybody that can teach. Some are brainy and they lack the skills required at teaching. I think corps members should be acting more as a back up teacher to already made teachers unlike in some states(particularly, the south western states) where the whole teaching burden is left on the shoulders of the corps member.

1 Like

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by elearningtex: 10:21pm On Dec 12, 2015
Visit www.elearningtex.com to have free access to the following skills ;
The Secret of success (It’s in you)
How to Start Fish Farming Business
How to Start Turkey Farming Business
Introduction to cake Production
Basic Principles of web design
What is desktop publishing?
Introduction to computer engineering
Introduction to data processing
Making money online
Components of CCTV-Mobile
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by bife: 11:19pm On Dec 12, 2015
Maxcollins042:
In as much as you are making good points,it's not everybody that can teach. Some are brainy and they lack the skills required at teaching. I think corps members should be acting more as a back up teacher to already made teachers unlike in some states(particularly, the south western states) where the whole teaching burden is left on the shoulders of the corps member.

the OP touched that in the 1st episode :
"Instead I will like you to know that posting you to school is unprofessional. Teaching is not ‘no man’s job’, some people really studied it to practice it."
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by Maxcollins042(m): 11:25pm On Dec 12, 2015
bife:

the OP touched that in the 1st episode :
"Instead I will like you to know that posting you to school is unprofessional. Teaching is not ‘no man’s job’, some people really studied it to practice it."
Exactly what am saying
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by as1siddiq: 9:47am On Dec 13, 2015
State the Purpose
(Copa-ticha episode 5)
The pilot announced: “at the end of this flight we should be landing at the Muritala Muhammad Intl Airport”. This is a relatively specific statement resulting from certain calculations. A similitude of this is the Behavioral objective. The Behavioural object refers to what the teacher expect the students to have acquire after a particular lesson and for every lesson, there should be objectives.
Objectives are very vital to lessons. They are the bases of selection of method and instructional material to be use in teaching. They make the teacher present carefully what is to be accomplished, so as to avoid talking out of turn, making repetitions and irrelevant points. In short, they make the teaching directed, focus and organised.
The Behavioral objectives are to be stated in a teachers’ lesson plan and expressed in measurable, observable and specific terms, such that at the end of the lesson the teacher should be able to evaluate the students’ ability vis-à-vis the objectives. The teacher should take note of the verbs he/she uses. Do not write: “students should be able to KNOW 5 classes of food”, write: “students should be able to LIST 5 classes of food”. ‘Know’ cannot be measured like list.
Make a list of 4 or 5 objectives in your lesson plan and let them cut across the three domains of learning, namely cognitive, psychomotor and effective. In a personal hygiene class for instance, a teacher stated:
At the end of this lesson, students should be able to:
a. Explain 2 importance of personal hygiene (Cognitive)
b. Demonstrate 2 ways of ensuring personal hygiene (psychomotor)
c. Appraise the concept of personal hygiene (affective).
These domains may be strange to newbies, but in few words; cognitive is knowledge based, psychomotor deals with manipulation of skills and affective relates to attitude and value.
In this write up, reservation was made on alternating the word objective with goal and aim, this is due to what each of the words represents in Education. They are statements of purpose at different levels of education. While Objectives relate to a class, goal and aim are respectively use for sectors and nation at large. Hence, statements of objectives are exclusive properties of the teacher, yes! Properties…he/she designs them and manages their implementation.
Thank you for reading and watch out for the next episode of copa-ticha.

https://siddiqoye./2015/12/12/state-the-purpose-copa-ticha-episode-5/
Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by as1siddiq: 9:17am On Dec 14, 2015
The mode matters
(Copa-ticha episode 6)
We will be talking about the manners with which messages are passed in the classroom. There are a number of methods a teacher may adopt in his/her lessons, even though factors such as subject content, class population, time and school facility may influence his/her choice. In teaching, all methods are good as far as they are used where and when suitable. A good teacher uses all method perfectly while a bad one wrecks them all. Hence, below are brief notes on two of these techniques;
• Didactic Method.
It is the mainstream method, it involves verbal presentation of ideas to students who are expected to retain them. It is highly beneficial when presenting new or complex principles. Besides, it saves time and energy. Though you may not forgive this method for it caused those boring days in school. Yea! The lecture method as popularly known, bores students as they are only involve in taking note and seldom asking questions. To make the best of the didactic/lecture method, a teacher needs to apply some curatives; ask the students to summarize the lesson, ask questions and request that they ask questions too. When using this, do not forget to add some demonstration to your lesson.
• Questioning Method.
It does not only allow students participation but encourages critical thinking and spirit of problem solving. The teacher asks a set of questions which students are expected to answer. These questions are usually based on things the students are familiar with in their previous experiences.
The questioning method is threatening to some students and causes disorderliness in class. However, to make a good Question and answer session; make a list of your questions, shun ‘yes’ or ‘no’ questions as much as possible, tell students to explain how they arrived at conclusions and ask their colleagues to agree and disagree with the answers.
In asking and affirming the questions and answers you need to maintain a modest and respectful conduct, avoid the phrase “can someone” instead use “someone should”, the difference is; the former questions the ability of the students while the latter is all embracing. Make sure to buoy up students who got right answers, adopt other than the customary “clap for him!” to make a difference. Do not forget to negate the wrong answers beautifully too.
As a final point, questioning like other teaching techniques should not be used independently. Adopt it…teaching has gone beyond loading information into the students’ head.
We’ll be learning more on teaching methods in the next episode….keep your eyes open!
Thank you!
https://siddiqoye./2015/12/14/the-mode-matters-copa-ticha-episode-6/#more-84

1 Like

Re: A crash course for NYSC corps members posted to school. by as1siddiq: 5:47pm On Dec 17, 2015
Use the best… Do the best!
(Copa-ticha episode 7)
Discussion method
The silence in every child cries out: “let me participate and be involved in my own learning and let me join in with other leaners to learn”. A way to deal with this plight is to employ the discussion method of teaching. In this method, the teacher put forward the subject matter to which students present their opinions and views. The teacher will therefore serve as the leader or the moderator of the talk, since he/she may or may not be part of the discussion.
Unlike the didactic method, teacher is not the sole performer instead it is a collaborative exchange of ideas. Discussion method may not necessarily be a whole class thing, it may go in form of grouping students into units with a leader in each, and then they organize independent discussions prior to a presentation in class.
The method is convenient for teachers and very conducive for students. It opens the students to the acts of thinking, analyzing, evaluating and tolerance. It is worthy of mention that it makes students creative, better communicators and build in them leadership skills.
Like every other method however, discussion has its own downsides and limitations; it could be dominated by the outspoken students, be disorganized and even go out of control and chief of it all, it wastes time especially when the class is a large one. Hence, teachers need to discourage domination, give positive remarks to contributors, welcome debates from students but should always stay in control and end the lesson with a summary which will reiterate the correct views.
Field trip
“Students who never experienced it, are missing out. Students who experienced it, want more. Students do not like to remain on those hard seats”.
Field trip entails taking students out of class to a place related to their class lesson. The method gives students the privilege of learning with all senses and also a good way teachers become their friends. Field trips are not limited to journeys to destinations away from the school, rather spots in and around the school compound can also make up a trip. Say a teacher is teaching erosion, taking the students to the street to see occurrence and control of erosion is a field trip.
Before going out, it is important to familiarize your students to the purpose, by this they know what to look out for and will not take it as mere play or tourism. Experiences should be related after the trip and students should be asked to compare and contrast them to the class lesson.
When a filed trip becomes impracticable because of challenges should as time, risk, managing the students or finance, the teacher can help with video clips, images or specimens if possible.
On a final note, as long as you are able to make meaningful use of the teaching methods, you are “good to go”, surely your students will enjoy you!
Nice one reading Copa-ticha up to this episode. I’m delighted and urge you to check back for the next episode.
Thank you

https://siddiqoye./2015/12/17/use-the-best-do-the-best-copa-ticha-episode-7/

(1) (2) (Reply)

The 2016 NYSC Call Up Letter Circulating Is Unauthorized - NYSC DG / Photo: A Corp Member Shows Off Her Butt To A Soldier In Camp (Hilarious) / Nce Graduates And Nysc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.