Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? (27302 Views)

Lagos Rice To Hit Market Next Week / CBN Endorses SSS Raid On Currency traders / DSS Arrests 40 In Kano Bureau De Change Raid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by anonimi: 12:21pm On Dec 06, 2015
bulletproofmonk:
Do you also have proof they paid duties? Stop being emotional for once and reason

ASSUMING they did not pay duties, are the customs INVESTIGATION people not supposed to verify that quietly and then FINE them with a deadline for payment
Is that not the LAWFUL, systematic thing to do such that genuine business people are not scared away?
Most of us are (un)consciously looking for FREEBIES that someone else worked for (apart from the taxes, duties, levies, fees and fines they are legally required to pay for doing business) by praising the seizure of these items in the hope they will be sold at GIVE-AWAY prices to us by the government agencies. It may happen and go well INITIALLY but since government is NOT producing these things in ABUNDANCE it cannot be sustained and will create more SCARCITY and pains for all of us down the line.
As it was in the 80s, is now with the dumb, dull and daft recycled leader looter!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2045441_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2191699_bc5fu8aevkci_jpeg7fd60ed9cdeded70e187b8a2c1fd9480

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by bulletproofmonk(m): 12:22pm On Dec 06, 2015
imsuboi:

go and tell your father to get the fvck outta here. bastard. cheesy

You mentioned father and bastard in the same sentence. Do you know what a bastard is? You are as retarded as the rice smugglers who birthed you.
Reply me once again and I'll further reveal unsavoury details about your unfortunate existence.

Eediat
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by EROMS38(m): 12:23pm On Dec 06, 2015
They voted for change na...deal with it.
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by joeyekembele: 12:24pm On Dec 06, 2015
bulletproofmonk:
Sharrap abeg. Should hoarding of essential commodities be encouraged? When prices skyrocket, it is the same Buhari you will blame. Sharp practices in business will always be at the detriment of the masses not the rich.

Some of you are so blindfolded that you don't see anything wrong in Buhari. If federal agents give you urine to drink as Lacacera or poo to eat as cake you will gladly take hence it is from Buhari. Whatever is wrong is wrong. Did the customs complain that they were into hoarding? It was alleged to be smuggled. Argue on that line, instead you are deviating from the truth. What stopped the authority from going there at the day time? Even if they truly smuggled, the Customs authority aided it. Call a spade a spade and let's correct some anomalies pls.

1 Like

Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by m20208899: 12:24pm On Dec 06, 2015
mayorkyzo:
Buhari taking us back to 1984...

Where were you in 1984?

1 Like

Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by anonimi: 12:24pm On Dec 06, 2015
EdDave:
Buhari has dissappointed me. Why rob traders (and collect their money too?) at night when you can arrest in the day or at the borders. This is not the way to go.
And he can't claim he doesn't hear about this. Cos that ll be really dissappointing.

Welcome to change bro. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by themanderon: 12:28pm On Dec 06, 2015
Shebi we warned them and they were blindly shouting change, as lawless as PDP was at least they were tactful in their dealings, now the party of dictators, touts, thieves and cowboys have taken over. My people fasten your seat belts cos its gona be a long ride and the journey has just started as we can see the gloom and recession everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by bnovative(m): 12:28pm On Dec 06, 2015
Well now the real wailers are here: wailing for their corrupt rice, others wailing for fuel ..
We warned but they heed not, now we have the change can we queitly enjoy it?
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by anonimi: 12:29pm On Dec 06, 2015
joeyekembele:
Some of you are so blindfolded that you don't see anything wrong in Buhari. If federal agents give you urine to drink as Lacacera or poo to eat as cake you will gladly take hence it is from Buhari. Whatever is wrong is wrong. Dis the custom complain that they were into hoarding? It was alleged to be smuggled. Argue on that line, instead you are deviating from the truth. . What stop the authority from going there at the say time? Even if they truly smuggled, the custom authority aided it. Call a side a spade and let's correct size anomalies pls.

Na so zombies dey do oh bro.
Small time now the Frankenstein, Dracula MONSTER will unveil itself just as Adolf Hitler revealed his previously hidden fascist side to the Germans some 75 years ago only.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3073565_ctuafvju8aakuv5_jpeg49a942de8e3d1d388856e63d96b767a5

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3140574_img15546243146817_jpeg_jpeg9d8db0925d17c2f201e563860ee4ee68

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by imsuboi(m): 12:33pm On Dec 06, 2015
bulletproofmonk:

You mentioned father and bastard in the same sentence. Do you know what a bastard is? You are as retarded as the rice smugglers who birthed you.
Reply me once again and I'll further reveal unsavoury details about your unfortunate existence.

Eediat

go on a search to find the details surrounding your conception. you'd be surprised wink
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by cutekhalifa(m): 12:33pm On Dec 06, 2015
Is this the boko haram we asked them to kill for us.... We are back to military juntas, even if the goods is contraband that's not enought reason to invade people shop's in the middle of ungodly hour and carted away with goods worth millions of naira, this is conspiracy theory, may be baba go slow want to use that rice and juice do xmas for his pikin inside sambisa forest.... Had it been boko haram are only killing top government officials and security agents... I strongly believe 2/3 of Nigeria youth will gladly going to join them in there uprising...make them pray boko haram no capitalize on my advise and stop killing civilians, Stupid them, aboki's are fighting for 75virgins not for liberation of the poor masses....
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by karama22(m): 12:34pm On Dec 06, 2015
warrior01:
kissiFollowing the alleged invasion of their stores by about 30 officials of the Nigerian Customs Service, NCS, Federal Operations Unit, FOU, Zone A, Ikeja, accompanied by soldiers, market women, who deal in parboiled rice at Mile 2 Oke/Under-bridge Market, in Amuwo-Odofin Local Government Area of Lagos State, staged a peaceful protest to the head office of Vanguard Media Limited, yesterday.

ricepix-newThe women, who wept uncontrollably, complained that the armed Customs men and soldiers, who drove in two trucks, invaded their stores at about 1.00am yesterday, carting away about 1,200 bags of rice.

Speaking through Mrs Suwebatu Akorede, the women, who arrived the Vanguard’s office at about 1.00pm, lamented that the Customs men and soldiers broke into their stores without indicating what their offences were.

Akorede said, “The armed security operatives met our workers who slept in the market, when they drove in at about 1.00am. During their operation, they beat our workers up and even injuring two of them with gun butts. They drove away with two-trailer load of bags of parboiled rice, as well as cartons of juice drinks, that we had in our stores.”

When Sunday Vanguard visited the market around 3.00pm yesterday, the market women, numbering over 100 wore forlorn faces, even as others were seen discussing in hushed tones.

Semiu Akeem, one of the workers who alleged that he was beaten by the armed security operatives, said: “I was sleeping when the Customs officials and soldiers woke me at about 1.00am. After identifying myself as a worker in the market, one of the soldiers started ransacking my pockets. When I asked what the problem was, what I saw was that he used his gun’s butt to hit me on my knee. At that moment, the soldier took from me the N150, 000 that I had on me, as well as my two phones.”

Semiu added that “after the armed security operatives finished loading their two trucks with the bags of parboiled rice, they drove me and three of my co-workers to the Customs office at Ikeja.”

Also speaking, another trader, Mrs Chi Okeke said: “We pay Customs duty to bring in our rice through the Seme border. So, we are surprised that the same Customs officials who had collected duty from us will still come to invade our stores and carting away our products.”

Chairman of the market, Mr. Idowu Akanbi, said: “We have gone to Customs office at Ikeja to bail our workers that were arrested, and they asked us to come back on Monday, to secure their release, stating that it was already weekend.”

When contacted, the spokesperson, NCS, FOU, Zone A, Ikeja, Uche Ejesieme said: “Sequel to an intelligence information, that large quantity of smuggled goods were kept in an open location at Mile 2, the headquarters monitoring team led by Assistant Comptroller Jatau Micah swooped on the location in an operation that lasted between 01.30am to 03.30am of Saturday.

“The team evacuated 580 bags of suspected smuggled 50kg parboiled rice and 151 pieces of used tyres. The seized items and the suspects have been brought down to our facility in Ikeja for further investigation. On the joint operation with the Army, it is in line the policy of inter agency synergy and there is nothing untoward about that.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/customs-officials-soldiers-raid-lagos-rice-stores/

Is history about to repeat itself? Going to bust people's shops in the middle of the night without notice should be condemned by all right thinking Nigerians. These seized goods will soon grow wings and hapless traders wrecked, some for life.
Woman u lied....Seme are yet to commence payment of duty though land...all trucks are parked waiting 4 fwder instruction by ncs
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Dec 06, 2015
The containers and bags of rice would have codes written on them that can indicate if truly those bags of rice were smuggled or not.The traders should also provide customs duty or clearance to prove their case.However,why were the smugglers not caught at the borders at the time they were bypassing the illegal routes?I think custom officials are to blame because they might have been compromised.
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by goshen26: 12:42pm On Dec 06, 2015
Sange is here
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by columbus007(m): 12:44pm On Dec 06, 2015
imsuboi:

would you type this thrash if both of your parents' shops were among those raided by these thieves?

ozuo angry angry
ozuo ke, grin na Ewe cheesy
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by Toks2008(m): 12:47pm On Dec 06, 2015
bulletproofmonk:
Sharrap abeg. Should hoarding of essential commodities be encouraged? When prices skyrocket, it is the same Buhari you will blame. Sharp practices in business will always be at the detriment of the masses not the rich.

Benin repulblic is a very far location from mile 2 and we have over 20custom check points from seme to mile 2 via lagos badagry road and over 10 custom point from idi iroko border tto mile 2.

If im in the position of autthority,all the officers involved will be arrested and whoever gave them that order will be sacked.

Whatever reasons these officers have to invade the shops of innocent citizens behind their back to cart away such magnitude of products is non and void.

If they fail to do their work in their check points why must they come to people s shops at midnight.

This is very gross.

I can imagine what these innocent hustlers are going through right now.

1 Like

Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by ezekielplenty(m): 12:50pm On Dec 06, 2015
Customs and excise management act (CEMA) CAP C 45 law of the federal republic of Nigeria give customs the right to break into any building/warehouse where smuggled goods are kept without warrant or pre -notice. It has been going on since even in the last administrations but since APC came into power by lies and propaganda, let it be use against them because propaganda have come to stay!!!
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Dec 06, 2015
bnovative:
Well now the real wailers are here: wailing for their corrupt rice, others wailing for fuel ..
We warned but they heed not, now we have the change can we queitly enjoy it?
Why can't custom officials walked up to the traders stores and demand custom duties and the containers that the bags of rice were packed in?Those bags of rice have codes written on them to prove whether custom duty were paid on them.Must everything about this govt be gragra?
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by Yujin(m): 12:51pm On Dec 06, 2015
Its now an economic war. Gradually families are being impoverished and no one is talking. The ripple effect will soon be seen only for those yet to be affected to open their bucal orifice to condemn the children of these traders. Why come in the midnight to cart away the goods? What proof do they have that they were smuggled in when you don't confront them first during the day time? This is part of the reason why I hate Nigeria. The masses are just slaves. They have no single right in a country that is meant to be theirs. Are those products contraband? NO! WHY WHY WHY? No one will ask what happens to rice afterwards. Will they be destroyed, consumed by the custom officials or sold to consumers? Wicked and evil human beings. Death to this Nigeria.
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by phemray(m): 12:51pm On Dec 06, 2015
sainty2k3:

and u are there when they paid and how can u assume they are innocent I believe they are not the only rice seller. if u are close to this borders u know smuggling and bribing are the order of the day, so if custom decide to change that everyone should cooperate by going about their businesses in a legitimate manner.

@sainty2k3 u are closer and I dont comment mostly on nairaland but
Really, its funny when people comment badly on what they know nothing about! Supporting wrongly, Have u find out the course of the raid? Have u ever being to Seme to see d procedures, did u know if they even paid anything? As am typing we have more than 10 trucks of rice not yet released in my office @ Seme border with each carrying 1200 bags as against 600 bags standard for a truck of 30 tons. Even @ dat Correct duty was not paid on d 600bags dats official. Our biz people always like to cut conners, not obeying simple rules cos they want to make more money @ all cost. They will comply with Benin govt. Rule n paid but will like to come in to naija to cheat d govt n d masses dat buys the rice. The truth is dat govt officials knows them n the era of order or waiver from above has gone,time of impunity had gone, let's do things in d right way. Social media shld not praise or sympathize evil doers, let's d law take it course. After all when trucks of arms n armunition were led in to d country last year by some people we were told order 4rm above not allow4 checking, diplomatic, but today d story has changed, dasuki case has linked with it. OK OK we are watching since we don't have a say @ our level. Pple pls let's start doing d right thing even if it your father, tell him to follow due process. God bless naija

1 Like

Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by Toks2008(m): 12:56pm On Dec 06, 2015
ezekielplenty:
Customs and excise management act (CEMA) CAP C 45 law of the federal republic of Nigeria give customs the right to break into any building/warehouse where smuggled goods are kept without warrant or pre -notice. It has been going on since even in the last administrations but since APC came into power by lies and propaganda, let it be use against them because propaganda have come to stay!!!

Did i just read this from a rationale human?

Why did the officers not ask for evidence of duty first? at least they will have justifiable reasons.

If you know how these same customs aide smugglers in bringing in these comodities you wont come here to start quoting laws.
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Dec 06, 2015
bettercreature:
Pay your duty! PMB has done his part by allowing rice to be imported via land borders so i'm still wondering why people still determine to smuggle it
You cannot bypass custom officials with a trailer loaded with 50 bags of rice.
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by ezekielplenty(m): 1:01pm On Dec 06, 2015
This is super story!! Yoruba ppl una go so suffer because na una get illegal border pass and na una like smuggling pass. Jst go and pick ur broom and start chanting change! Yourubas are agent of propaganda so let them suffer! lol
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by Remii(m): 1:01pm On Dec 06, 2015
mayorkyzo:
Buhari taking us back to 1984...
yes, good old days, lol
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 06, 2015
The Zoo republic.

1 Like

Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 06, 2015
The importers should be the ones to be interrogated not the innocent traders who didn't know whether the rice they bought were contraband or smuggled.I know govt want to generate revenue by all means,but this is not the way to go about it.

1 Like

Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by Toks2008(m): 1:04pm On Dec 06, 2015
phemray:

@sainty2k3 u are closer and I dont comment mostly on nairaland but
Really, its funny when people comment badly on what they know nothing about! Supporting wrongly, Have u find out the course of the raid? Have u ever being to Seme to see d procedures, did u know if they even paid anything? As am typing we have more than 10 trucks of rice not yet released in my office @ Seme border with each carrying 1200 bags as against 600 bags standard for a truck of 30 tons. Even @ dat Correct duty was not paid on d 600bags dats official. Our biz people always like to cut conners, not obeying simple rules cos they want to make more money @ all cost. They will comply with Benin govt. Rule n paid but will like to come in to naija to cheat d govt n d masses dat buys the rice. The truth is dat govt officials knows them n the era of order or waiver from above has gone,time of impunity had gone, let's do things in d right way. Social media shld not praise or sympathize evil doers, let's d law take it course. After all when trucks of arms n armunition were led in to d country last year by some people we were told order 4rm above not allow4 checking, diplomatic, but today d story has changed, dasuki case has linked with it. OK OK we are watching since we don't have a say @ our level. Pple pls let's start doing d right thing even if it your father, tell him to follow due process. God bless naija

Please spare us these rethorics and lets face it...if customs officers do their jobs very well,there will be no reason for breaking into shops.

I was a clearing agent for years and i know what goes on.

Sharp practises are the order of the day and that is no longer new..the point is that inasmuch as we have several custom patrols and checkpoints on the road to checkmate this smuggling,why would they break into shops without due diligence on whether those items came in legitimately..thats the point.

If we bring in cars and any officers suspect a foul play they ask questions and demand for specific documents but this was never the case.

lets face it,the act was very demeaning and a dent to their fundamental human right and must be discouraged.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by anonimi: 1:07pm On Dec 06, 2015
Love Machine:
The importers should be the one to be interrogated not the innocent traders who didn't know whether the rice they bought were contraband or smuggled.I know govt want to generate revenue by all means,but this is not the way to go about it.

We are now in the JUNGLE where justice by lynching instead of a systematic application of the law.
By the end of this month they would have seized all the available rice and those traders won't sell anymore so will Buhari import more rice by himself using the depleted national cake aka Niger Delta oil revenue that he has not stabilised as earlier promised
Daft!
Dafter!!
Daftest!!!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2960441_engineer_jpeg_jpegebed2913b1866e57e9bf9b70a2c7ad50
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by ezekielplenty(m): 1:11pm On Dec 06, 2015
Toks2008:

Did i just read this from a rationale human?

Why did the officers not ask for evidence of duty first? at least they will have justifiable reasons.

If you know how these same customs aide smugglers in bringing in these comodities you wont come here to start quoting laws.

Hahahaha! Let me tell u; there is no hiw customs will will not ask for evident of duty payment, secondly the owner if any smuggled goods(smuggler) never leaves his or her goods until it fully uploaded 'cus the owner said that her worker was beaten which is to say that the uploading was still on progress when joint patrol arrived the scene.
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by heysquare(m): 1:11pm On Dec 06, 2015
[quote author=Droyal post=40737319]Hmm our rice seller also complained of the same but this was at Iyana-era garage rice stores just before Fed govt college Ijanikin.

They(soldiers and custom officials) came in the mid night broke the stores open, collected the phones of the vigilante and the boys that sleep in the garage and loooted massively. She said she lost about 1million naira worth of rice and vegetable oil. The poor woman was very sad while narrating the story. She said its contribution money.

After the first raid they(the sellers) now decided to hide at one of the shops at the other side of the express(where tippers park) around past 12am they came again she said they came with big guns and a truck and they were using a big plier like object to break into the shops(which are mostly all those fabricated containers) she said they couldn't even come out to challenge them because they were scared being hurt by them but she confirmed that they were customs and soldiers and there was no one to report to.

But why come in the midnight?
Is it not the customs officials that allow the rice cross the border in the first place
[/quote
Most of the smuggling usually takes place at night. infact I will appreciates all ds security operative to extend thr operation to mile two shopping center cos dey do disturb d residents at night wen dey r off loading. we need to stop defending some ppl outcry wen we dnt no much about d offence as they wil never say d truth about thr dirty job. I stay in dat area and I ve been for smth like ds happen even in sango in ogun state, the rate of smuggling thr is extra ordinary. may God help we d youth to know d truth
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by omoakin111: 1:13pm On Dec 06, 2015
It's change you voted for.
Buhari's foreign travels now yielding fruits. Enjoy it.
Re: Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? by adekaz777: 1:15pm On Dec 06, 2015
WELCOME BACK TO 9JA OF 31ST DEC.1983 TO 25TH AUG.1985 !!! Nigerians are welcome back to era of obnoxious law & impunity of the highest order. Am not suprise because more policies are still coming & u can not get better judgment in law court against govt. As soon as NASS passes anti social media law, u cannot criticize govt again except praising the even if they are wrong. The myopic & gullible ones are saying that govt is sanitising but when it reaches their turn,they'll sing a new song.Shame on all those who voted a coupist as president & call him a liberator. Some fools say he is trying to mend rot of PDP's 16 years as if nigeria was better before. How many phone lines we av before, how many universities & schools, road network was increased, houses & infrastructures. Apart from bad policies buhari has nothing to offer except to continue gej agenda, thats why Fashola said at his ministry, its continuation; of 182 federal roads, electricity power plant projects, mass housing.9ja fell to APC's lies & propaganda!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Inside Kwara Community, Ijara-isin, Where Residents Have Own ‘currency’ / What Dropshiping Is And How you can make huge profit / BREAKING: Lagos Govt Demolishes Shops Near Ikeja Computer Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.