Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,429 members, 7,800,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son (5933 Views)

EFCC To Arrest Ex INEC Chairman Over Oil Baron Bribe / Finally! Alison-madueke Honours London Police Invitation. / How To Tackle Bombing, Boko Haram Threat, By Ex-ig Ehindero, Acn, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by mogentle(m): 1:57pm On Jun 01, 2009
Over questionable source of wealth

•To appear in court July 5

Juliana Francis

Police in the United Kingdom (UK) are set to charge Ayorinde, the son of former Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mr. Sunday Ehindero to court, days,  after he was arrested at Woolwich, London, for unlawful possession of a large sum of money, which source he could not explain.

Ayorinde reportedly landed in trouble after he contravened traffic rules and the police had to search his car at about 9.00 a.m., on May 23.

According to police sources, wad of pounds sterling were found in the car.

Asked where he got the money from, Ayorinde allegedly replied that his father was a former Inspector-General of Police in Nigeria. But he did not say if the money belonged to his dad.

Thereafter, Ayorinde was detained at Woolwich Police Station; before the police moved on to search his house. He was later released on bail.

Contacted on phone, the police at Woolwich confirmed the arrest. They said Ayorinde might be charged to court on July 5.

The Nigerian Compass learnt that the police also discovered, during their search of Ayorinde’s home, that lots of money had been deposited in one of his accounts, in the past three years. The account, which had been closed, was suspected to have been used to launder money.

The police were also said to have found fake post office stamps in the house.

Already, some of Ehindero’s friends in London are said to have been mounting pressure on the police to drop the case. One of them, simply named as Leke, was identified as the son of a major police contractor during the former IGP’s tenure.

Since he retired as the IGP in 2007, Ehindero has been facing several corruption cases. At a time, the Independent Corrupt Practises and other related offences Commission (ICPC) investigated his involvement in a N557 million arms and ammunition money the police received from Bayelsa State.

The commission had, on April 2, last year, interrogated Ehindero on how the sum, meant for the procurement of arms and ammunition for the police, ended up in his private accounts in two banks.
http://www.compassnews.net/news/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18978:london-police-arrest-ex-ig-ehinderos-son&catid=43:news&Itemid=63

This is seriuos!!!!
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by desgiezd(m): 2:10pm On Jun 01, 2009
mogentle:

Asked where he got the money from, Ayorinde allegedly replied that his father was a former Inspector-General of Police in Nigeria. But he did not say if the money belonged to his dad.

The dude thought he was in Nigeria where such an irrelevant and unrelated response would set him free.
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by DisGuy: 2:12pm On Jun 01, 2009
Already, some of Ehindero’s friends in London are said to have been mounting pressure on the police to drop the case. One of them, simply named as Leke, was identified as the son of a major police contractor during the former IGP’s tenure.

shooo grin
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by Sagamite(m): 3:48pm On Jun 01, 2009
I am not for or against the guy or anything.

But out of curiousity, if police ever stopped me and found money on me, I wonder what right they have to ask me to explain to them my money. I think the onus is on them to prove it is illegitimate money, or am I wrong?

I am really not aware of any law that states a level of money that police are entitled to request proof of source. Is it 50 pence? £100? £1500? £20,000?

Knowing myself, I will just tell them to explain what law backs their right to question me.
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by oderemo(m): 3:54pm On Jun 01, 2009
the money laundering law is overriding in which the police can use to search your person, house and all. beware.
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by Epiphany(m): 3:57pm On Jun 01, 2009
Sagamite:

But out of curiousity, if police ever stopped me and found money on me, I wonder what right they have to ask me to explain to them my money. I think the onus is on them to prove it is illegitimate money, or am I wrong?

I am really not aware of any law that states a level of money that police are entitled to request proof of source. Is it 50 pence? £100? £1500? £20,000?

Knowing myself, I will just tell them to explain what law backs their right to question me.

Unfortunately, this guy may not have your intelligence and carriage to stand up to the police by asking them if there is a law against his carrying any amount of money in cash.

Secondly, i am sure when the police began searching the car he must have been behaving suspicious - which warranted their asking him 'where he got the money from'. Again, when asked a direct question, his reply was that he is the son of the former IG of police. That again, may have raised a red flag with the british police.

As we all know, our politicians and public office holders are known for their corruption and money laundering activities.
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by asha80(m): 4:01pm On Jun 01, 2009
Epiphany:

Unfortunately, this guy may not have your intelligence and carriage to stand up to the police by asking them if there is a law against his carrying any amount of money in cash.

Secondly, i am sure when the police began searching the car he must have been behaving suspicious - which warranted their asking him 'where he got the money from'. Again, when asked a direct question, his reply was that he is the son of the former IG of police. That again, may have raised a red flag with the british police.

As we all know, our politicians and public office holders are known for their corruption and money laundering activities.

The guy must be a dullard!Does he think uk is nigeria?
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by netotse(m): 4:03pm On Jun 01, 2009
is it not the same ehindero that hired prayer warriors tro cleanse his office when he assumed office?

i wonder how they will try to explain this one!
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 01, 2009
na wa ooo, see wetin po-po dey yan.

since when did it become an offence to carry money? whether huge sum or not.

if only this guy knew what to say, this rubbish wouldnt have escalated to this.
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by jaybee3(m): 4:09pm On Jun 01, 2009
Dude was my junior in secondary school and i remember one time that they used the police helicopter cos of fuel scarcity to drop the dude off.
Dude has a lot of dodgy friends (fraudsters) so probability tells me he his probably involved in some shady shyte as well which might explain the reason why he had loads of cash on him.
Dude's dad is apparently very strict and didn't even know when the boy bought his modest first car (audi TT) but has been known to cruise his dad's range sport about.

I honestly don't think it's a case of money laundering.

With reference to police not having right to ask questions, i honestly think they do if one can't necessarily explain how they came about a large sum.
You should also try to remember that woolwich/thamesmead axis is notorious for Nigerian fraudsters driving big cars about during the day when most people are at work so random stop and search whereby unnecessary questions are asked is somewhat a norm.
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by Mamajama(m): 4:23pm On Jun 01, 2009
I saw this story and could not help but laugh and continue to shake my head at the rate at which Nigerian media go about printing nonsense to attract audience.

There is no iota of truth associated with this smear. 

Someone that has a masters degree does not know how to speak to a local police officer?
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by Sagamite(m): 4:36pm On Jun 01, 2009
jay bee:

Dude was my junior in secondary school and i remember one time that they used the police helicopter cos of fuel scarcity to drop the dude off.
Dude has a lot of dodgy friends (fraudsters) so probability tells me he his probably involved in some shady shyte as well which might explain the reason why he had loads of cash on him.
Dude's dad is apparently very strict and didn't even know when the boy bought his modest first car (audi TT) but has been known to cruise his dad's range sport about.

I honestly don't think it's a case of money laundering.

With reference to police not having right to ask questions, i honestly think they do if one can't necessarily explain how they came about a large sum.
You should also try to remember that woolwich/thamesmead axis is notorious for Nigerian fraudsters driving big cars about during the day when most people are at work so random stop and search whereby unnecessary questions are asked is somewhat a norm.

How can Dad be strict when he is chaffuering junior in police helicopter.  undecided

The police are there to enforce the law, not to make it. I will ask the police officer to inform me which part of the law ascertains what is a large sum. If he can't, then I will ask him if a large sum is just any arbitrary sum of money he deems fit to categorise so.

I did almost a similar thing with Nigerian police when they asked me why I was strolling to a lively and crowded joint (100 metres from my hotel) in the middle of the night and almost got my arse thrown into a cell (took me to the station behind the counter) until I went the Nigerian way and called a Senator before they saw the light.  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by youngmonie: 4:39pm On Jun 01, 2009
Bone am , no be in papa moneyy!!!1 grin, ma guy na yahoo boyy, no TRAVEL MONEY wey dey inside on car, insef dey do bankee, abbey and laideyy!!!!!!!!!
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by DisGuy: 4:41pm On Jun 01, 2009
Sagamite:

they asked a very basic question, surely you wont even answer like the guy did will you?
the question might not be necessary just ordinary chit chat and this guy fall hand

nigerians and their 'do you know who my fada is' mentality
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jun 01, 2009
Sagamite:

in the west, where everything has gone electronic, the only people likely to be in possession of large sums of paper money are criminals who don' want any records of their transactions.

dude is beyond stupid though ' my father is. . .' are people actually that stupid?
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by biina: 5:33pm On Jun 01, 2009
@sagamite
The police are authorized for 'stop and account' and 'stop and search'.

The police are free to ask you any questions as long as you have been cautioned, and they can relate it to a possible criminal act, it is called 'reasonable suspicion'. In this case, suspicions of terrorism, arms and drugs trafficking/trading, and money laundering, are qualified grounds.

You are (in most cases) not required to answer the questions in the absence of your solicitor, but if you fail to provide satisfactory responses  on the spot, it is at the discretion of the police to arrest you and take you in for further questioning, after which the issue of filing charges will be next.

You cannot be held without charge for more than 24hrs (+12hrs if its a serious crime)
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by redsun(m): 5:34pm On Jun 01, 2009
They are freebies man,they live off us.They live huge like super stars with our sweat and blood.
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by Sagamite(m): 5:43pm On Jun 01, 2009
biina:

@sagamite
The police are authorized for 'stop and account' and 'stop and search'.

The police are free to ask you any questions as long as you have been cautioned, and they can relate it to a possible criminal act, it is called 'reasonable suspicion'. In this case, suspicions of terrorism, arms and drugs trafficking/trading, and money laundering, are qualified grounds.

You are (in most cases) not required to answer the questions in the absence of your solicitor, but if you fail to provide satisfactory responses on the spot, it is at the discretion of the police to arrest you and take you in for further questioning, after which the issue of filing charges will be next.

You cannot be held without charge for more than 24hrs (+12hrs if its a serious crime)

OK, I will just do what I do to the UK police.

1) Refuse to answer any uneccessary questions except I am under arrest or my lawyer is present
2) Ask him a question rather than provide an answer (e.g. Do you believe the money is illegal?)

I have noticed that most times they are only looking for a way to find something you might be guilty of since one moronic officer made me pay over £200 for a motoring I was not aware of.
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by redsun(m): 5:58pm On Jun 01, 2009
It is a new world order that 9/11 and 7/7 ushered in,privacies and rights intrusions whether you like it or not,it is a big brother state and for a black man as always,it is a double jeopardy.

He should have nothing to fear if he is innocent,let him explain the source of his money
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by DrKitaun(m): 6:20pm On Jun 01, 2009
where is Big B1 when u need him here the most grin
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by biina: 6:30pm On Jun 01, 2009
Sagamite:

OK, I will just do what I do to the UK police.

1) Refuse to answer any uneccessary questions except I am under arrest or my lawyer is present
2) Ask him a question rather than provide an answer (e.g. Do you believe the money is illegal?)

I have noticed that most times they are only looking for a way to find something you might be guilty of since one moronic officer made me pay over £200 for a motoring I was not aware of.
But please don't hold it against the police. It is the nature of their job.
Often they are simply fishing, and when lucky they catch a big fish, or a small fish that would lead them to the bigger fish.
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jun 01, 2009
Dr Kitaun:

where is Big B1 when u need him here the most grin

No that's Mamajama that has just been arrested wink
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by Mamajama(m): 9:00pm On Jun 01, 2009
No one is arrested that I know off, stop spreading rumors, BIGB1 is in exile

@jay bee what school did you go to? and when did you see the police helicopter drop any of the IGs children off ?

kai I tire for naija with lies.
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by MrCrackles(m): 9:07pm On Jun 01, 2009
Chai Na Wa ooo! shocked
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by jaybee3(m): 5:04am On Jun 02, 2009
Mamajama:

No one is arrested that I know off, stop spreading rumors, BIGB1 is in exile

@jay bee what school did you go to? and when did you see the police helicopter drop any of the IGs children off ?

kai I tire for naija with lies.
CSSI
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by AjaraEwuro: 5:54am On Jun 02, 2009
Even if the guy has simply said he is a Nigerian, he would still have been given the same or even worse treatment, the name Nigeria stinks when you mention it to a British Police officer, forget your intellect or whatever it is you think you have.
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by JustGood(m): 9:38am On Jun 02, 2009
I think its a waste of tax payers resources. Why are they wasting time and energy chasing shadows cast from Nigeria?

The onus is on the police to prove that the money he had on him is illegally earned or possessed. It's not up to him to tell the police anything and as long as he doesn't say anything to incriminate himself (providing nothing incrimating can be found against him), he'll walk.

It a case of misplaced priorities by the Met. God knows how many thousands of £££ will be wasted on the exercise.
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by olabukola: 11:18am On Jun 02, 2009
If the police see you with any amt above £1k, u must tell them how you come about it. Have you guys forgotten about the guy in British Airways sometime last year?
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by Moves: 11:44am On Jun 02, 2009
Why do we nigerians think this way, They Saw a large sum of Cash on Him, They are required by law to ask, same way u r asked if u r depositing a large sum of cash into your account at a bank branch even in nigeria, I have seen this done to both white and black, as the onus is on the person not with the police to prove that their money is legit, The Silly guy replied with the most silly answer, That in itself becomes more suspicious, did u guys not also read the portion where they found fake post office stamps in his house,
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by biola44: 12:45pm On Jun 02, 2009
Moves:

Why do we nigerians think this way, They Saw a large sum of Cash on Him, They are required by law to ask, same way u r asked if u r depositing a large sum of cash into your account at a bank branch even in nigeria, I have seen this done to both white and black, as the onus is on the person not with the police to prove that their money is legit, The Silly guy replied with the most silly answer, That in itself becomes more suspicious, did u guys not also read the portion where they found fake post office stamps in his house,

wink
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by JustGood(m): 12:51pm On Jun 02, 2009
Moves:

You must be having a laugh! The onus is in the police to prove that there was criminality involved in earning or obtaining the money. There's no law that says you can only have a certain amount of cash in your person within the UK.

Twice, I have been found with a few thousands on me and I was not required to prove anything to the police. The last time was a night before travelling to Nigeria when I had the cash on me having gone to pick same up from a friend who helped collect it from the bank. I was stopped by the police on the motorway (not unusual in my part of the world) and a few thousands was in the car. The police did not bother themselves with the money as they found nothing to incriminate me.

Although the story says the guy acted stupid, it still does not remove the onus from the police to prove his guilt. He could have told them that he wasn't telling them and they still would have nothing on him. More often than not, it's better to say nothing to the police or tell them you dont want to answer them. You may get arrested for not answering but you wont say something that could land you in big trouble.
Re: London Police Arrest Ex-ig Ehindero’s Son by Ilelobola: 1:12pm On Jun 02, 2009
The onus is on the person to prove the money is legit, the police have the right to question the source of the funds. If the person can't prove it, he/she is charged to court and has to prove its legitimacy in court. Which is what is happening with this person. It's not normal to carry around large sums of money in the UK and it's also becoming less of an occurence in Nigeria (for normal citizens of course) in this electronic age!

And what a ridiculous response to the question he was asked if it is true.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What I Saw On Facebook,nigerians Are Not Smiling, / Ruga: Biafra Threatens To Storm The North With Deadly Weapons / Budget: FG Earmarks ₦100 Billion For 2023 Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.