Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory (1867 Views)

Police Recruitment: Candidates To Undergo Mental, HIV, Pregnancy Tests / Professional Learning Indicator (PLI) Cognitive Ability Test. / 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by yorex2011: 7:16pm On Dec 07, 2015
Alright, truth is i haven't actually planned the thread but i just want to kickstart it anyway.
Will just learn as we go along.
I don't claim to be a guru, I'm just here to share knowledge i gained over the years, and also some personal experiences.
I really hope people can benefit from this
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by yorex2011: 7:44pm On Dec 07, 2015
While i was in my first year in the university, i was becoming obsessed with the human mind, the possibilities, the endless limits. Read stories of people with Superhuman memory, amazing mental maths skills, ability to learn languages in record time, chess grandmasters ability to see positions and variations 15 moves ahead, play wothout looking at the board and simultaneously too.. All these things amazed me and i sought for ways to really improve my brainpower

I'd like to think that I've always been a sharp kid, inquisitive, creative
I remember back then when dad made me recite multiplications tables and recite ohms law and some other stuff when i was in primary school, i think this really contributed to my brain development. In hindsight i now believe that children learn better and faster than adults and even have better retention sef.. Might be wrong tho

Anyways moving on...

Cognotive ability
Basically the the mental process of knowing, including aspects such as awareness, perception, reasoning, and judgment
I love reading, virtually anything, from medicine to law, philosophy, psychology, science etc.
I think this helps in improving cognitive abilities, as reading various subjects gives your Brain more flexibility, since you aren't streamlining yourself.
Read new things, things you arent familiar with, i think there is scientific research to back this up but anyway thats a topic for another day.

Think creatively.. No matter how dumb it may seem, i promise you, it'll greatly improve your intelligence. The fact that you have a problem before you and your brain processes like 5 different approaches in a few seconds is proof that you're a creative thinker.

Do things differently.
Soing things differently can actually create an avenue for improving the present ways of doing tjose things, but it also allows you brain to be flexible and not be limited to the same things over and over again.

Challenge yourself
I remember there waa a point in my life where i wanted to improve my memory, i would be walking from class to my room (University) i would mentally keep track of the light poles, trees, buses and cars as i walk back.
Mentally counting 5 buses, 7 cars, passed the 8th tree, 4th light pole and on some days i would try to mentally and spatially predict how many footsteps it wud take someone walking towards me to get to me while taking into account my own pace too.
Sometimes i would challenge myself to memorise plate numbers of al least 5 vehicles as well as colour and make, at an instant because they are in motion and try to recall when i get home.
The most audacious I've had was buying recharge card looking at the pin just once, throwing it away and loading it like 30mins or an hour later. Lolz
While in sec sch 3i memorised every single phone number i knew (bout 100 of them or so) cos i had no phone..still remember some of them today that even the original owners have thrown away and forgotten sef

I think you've gotten the point by now.. Challenge yourself.. Stretch your brain.. You wont know how far you can go

Network with people, talk to people, learn from people..

Will write about mental arithmetic soon..

3 Likes

Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by Isryl02(m): 7:44pm On Dec 07, 2015
Let's see what you've got to offer...
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by yorex2011: 7:44pm On Dec 07, 2015
Mental Arithmetic
Basic addition, multiplication, subtraction and division can be used to solve seemingly complex calculations in record times, there are a lot of tricks here and there, so we'll jump into them right away

By now you shud be able to give answers to any multiplication from 1*1 to 12*12 in almost an instant.. As these are the ones we were used to from when we were growing up (back of exercise book stuffs and all)

1. Multiplying numbers by 5
A simpler way of doing this wud be to divide the number by 2 then add a zero behind.. Or multiply by 10
e.g 128*5 = 128/2 * 10
I.e 128/2 is easily 64 theb add a zero to it 640..way better than mentally doing long multiplication and stuff

Another variant for numbers that aren't easily divisible by 2...just look find the nearest number below it that even.. Divide by 2 then instead of adding 0..add a 5
Example
289 *5
We go with 288/2 which is easily 144 then add 5 to it... To give 1445..this shudnt take you more than 2-3 seconds.. Practice till you get better.. Remember! Challenge yourself!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by yorex2011: 7:45pm On Dec 07, 2015
Mental maths 2
Multiplying numbers close to 10
Here we can use a clever trick
E.g 13 * 12..first pick the second digit of the second number ( 2) add to the first number to give (13 + 2 = 15) then multiply the last digits of both numbers (3 *2 =6) and append to the first 15 we got to give 156
By append i mean just write it after the 15
This whole process shudnt take more than 3 seconds

E.g 2
14* 16
This is a lil different
Obviously we know it wud be 20_
To get the last digit we multiply 6*4 to give 24...the 4 stays and the 2 carries over to the 20 to get 224
Hope it's easy enuf?

Now assuming the numbers where close to 20 and we use 20 as a base
The process is the same but with a slight modification
Example
23 * 21..we add 1 + 23 to get 24 as done previously.. But because we are using a base of 20..we multiply by 2 first before appending the last digit
That is 24 *2 to give 48, last digit wud be 3*1 to give 3 after appending we get 483
If it has a carryover we just treat as we did before

Shey its simple enuf

These skills would be invaluable in aptitude/job tests
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by yorex2011: 7:55pm On Dec 07, 2015
Mental maths 3

Square of numbers close to 100
Example 104 squared
First we find the difference between 104 and 100 (our base) which is 4...
We then add that 4 to the number.. 104+4 to give 108
Then we need to append 2 digits since 100 square has 5 digits
So we know its 108_ _

To get the last two digits we just square the 4 which wud give 16 and append
Answer will be 10816

Easy right cool

For a case like 108 squared
Answer will be 116_ _
8 *8 =64

112 squared
112 + 12 = 124
124_ _
12*12=144 then we carry over the 1
We get 12544

For numbers close to but less than 100
Battery lowww
later
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by yorex2011: 7:56pm On Dec 07, 2015
Mental maths 4
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by yorex2011: 7:56pm On Dec 07, 2015
Mental maths 5
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by yorex2011: 7:57pm On Dec 07, 2015
Memory
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by Sheikwonder(m): 8:28pm On Dec 07, 2015
Good stuff...work on your spellings though...
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by yorex2011: 8:58pm On Dec 07, 2015
Sheikwonder:
Good stuff...work on your spellings though...
Hehe. you suppose knw say na freestyle stuffs and i dey rush plus my fone screen is bad so i'm using bluetooth mouse to type and all that, so i really dont have much luxury.

1 Like

Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by izutex007(m): 10:53pm On Dec 07, 2015
Good Job bro. Gr8 piece!!!

Oga lalasticla com and see
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by VampireeM(f): 12:18am On Dec 08, 2015
Yorex2011, wow this is inspiring.. As I was going through your posts I started challenging myself with them.. Just learnt new stuffs
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by lovethchioma(f): 7:29am On Dec 08, 2015
Hmmmm, nice one
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by DatechMan(m): 11:17pm On Jan 04, 2016
yorex2011:
Mental maths 5

Nice thread. Keep it coming
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by sifo: 11:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
Interesting
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by Abimbex007: 10:14am On Jan 05, 2016
Nice one bro! More of it!
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by yorex2011: 10:17am On Jan 05, 2016
Thanks yall.. Will complete as soon as I'm free
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by Genoma(m): 11:40am On Jan 05, 2016
Thumbs up
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by geosilbert: 12:10pm On Jan 05, 2016
At op check this well pls 23 * 21..we add 1 + 13 to get 24 as done Shouldn't it be 1+23 to get 24?
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by Abimbex007: 2:37pm On Jan 05, 2016
geosilbert:
At op check this well pls
23 * 21..we add 1 + 13 to get 24 as done
Shouldn't it be 1+23 to get 24?
Guess itz typo error, 23 nt 13.
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by mena233(f): 4:33pm On Jan 05, 2016
nice one yorex2011. but when are u coming to give mental maths 4 &5? we are still waiting
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by yorex2011: 4:46pm On Jan 05, 2016
Abimbex007:

Guess itz typo error, 23 nt 13.

Yh its a typo.. My bad grin

1 Like

Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by mtor: 5:05pm On Jan 05, 2016
parking by car(legs) here grin
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by Odunharry(m): 5:17pm On Jan 05, 2016
following.. ah dai here
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by nasonaso: 12:22am On Jan 17, 2016
[color=#006600][/color] nice thread.

I can beat my chest that this topic may attain front page when christ is about coming but if it's all about davido and to top dike..... immediately Pam na front page he go hit
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by Cutehector(m): 7:14am On Jan 24, 2016
Yorex2011 goodmorning, hope u had a good night rest?

Urm I need ur help with something please. It's based on data reasoning questions.
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by samik900(m): 8:24am On Jan 24, 2016
Hi cutehector,pls which gmat did u study for diamond bank test?was goin tru d thread nd discover dt u were succesfl!pls,
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by Cutehector(m): 8:25am On Jan 24, 2016
samik900:
Hi cutehector,pls which gmat did u study for diamond bank test?was goin tru d thread nd discover dt u were succesfl!pls,
lmao. Are u sure I am the one you are tryna refer to? I have never written any diamond bank test.
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by yorex2011: 8:29am On Jan 24, 2016
Cutehector:
Yorex2011 goodmorning, hope u had a good night rest?

Urm I need ur help with something please. It's based on data reasoning questions.

smiley
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by Cutehector(m): 8:45am On Jan 24, 2016
yorex2011:

smiley
sent already thanks. U accepted?
Re: Improve Your Cognitive skills, Mental Arithmetic And Memory by yorex2011: 8:48am On Jan 24, 2016
Cutehector:
sent already thanks. U accepted?
send again...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Marketing Officers Needed / Please I Got This Text From Npower Tonight / Current Vacancies At Poweredup Consulting, 4th September, 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.