Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,840 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. (29183 Views)

Sheriff Dissociates Self From Congratulatory Message To Makarfi / Wike Dissociates Self From Comments Made By Media Aide Alleging A Judicial Gangu / Buhari Dissociates Himself From Campaign Promises (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by Everfrank(m): 8:19pm On Dec 07, 2015
The Nigerian Presidency has issued the statement below, quoting President Muhammadu Buhari as dissociating himself and his administration from the media muzzle law being cooked by the Nigerian Senate.

Read full statement below:

SOCIAL MEDIA BILL: BUHARI RESTATES COMMITMENT To FREE SPEECH.
President Muhammadu Buhari has reiterated the commitment of his administration to the protection of free speech in keeping with democratic tradition.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu who was reacting to the public hostility towards the social media bill now being debated by the Senate, said President Buhari has sworn to defend the constitution of Nigeria and would not lend his hand to anything that is inconsistent with the constitution.

“But he is not averse to lawful regulation, so long as that is done within the ambit of the constitution which he swore to uphold.”

“The President said free speech is central to democratic societies anywhere in the world. The President explained that without free speech, elected representatives won’t be able to gauge public feelings and moods about governance issues.

“As a key component of democratic principles,” the President acknowledged that people in democratic societies “are so emotionally attached to free speech that they would defend it with all their might.”

“Malam Garba Shehu explained that President Buhari is fully aware of the public reservations about the proposed legislation but assured that there is no cause for alarm “because the Senate is a democratic senate. The President won’t assent to any legislation that may be inconsistent with the constitution of Nigeria.”
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/194780-buhari-dissociates-self-from-media-muzzle-law-says-im-committed-to-free-speech.html

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by Ebubeslym(m): 8:24pm On Dec 07, 2015
I bet you if Nigerians hadnt screamed, this wouldnt have been the the reaction from Aso rock.
They wanted to shroud this bill in secrecy forgeting that we are currently in 2015 and not 1967.
Thank God for the Social Media.

139 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by Dollyak(f): 8:30pm On Dec 07, 2015
The bill is silly and shouldn't be allow to see the light of the day. Nigeria is not China or N korea and it is even more worrying this was allowed to get to the senate.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by CR77(f): 8:30pm On Dec 07, 2015
I can stand with pride that I didn't vote for Buhari the dictator tongue

83 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by Badgers14: 8:30pm On Dec 07, 2015
grin grin

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by chimah3(m): 8:30pm On Dec 07, 2015
Car ward

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by bunmioguns(m): 8:30pm On Dec 07, 2015
cool

1 Like

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by onyepapa(m): 8:30pm On Dec 07, 2015
The only truth you can get from the mouth of the northerns this days is good morning. Let him swear to die that he knows nothing about it

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by Burger01(m): 8:30pm On Dec 07, 2015
smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by kennyman2000(m): 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2015
I tell you, nairalanders won the fight. You all thought nairalanders agitations and complains were joke. Atlast, we won!! Am sure, somebody showed Buhari nairalanders posts hence his backing out of the game.

God bless seun osewa.
God bless every nairalanders.

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by passionate88: 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2015
fear fear man. angry angry angry

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by Nobody: 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2015
Liar!!!!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by richyfunky(m): 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2015
Nigerian Senators with misplaced priorities,there are better things to deliberate on, than restricting d voice of d common man. Well said Mr President.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by mach7(m): 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2015
Good one. There must be freedom of expression/speech. As much as we want some form of regulation on social media in terms of rumour mongering and spreading false information, we equally want it to be an open avenue of legitimate expression/speech.

Mr President, pls aside from this piece of news, Nigerians are fast getting disillusioned with the present situation of this nation. Quicken your promises and make Nigeria great again.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by janefrancisca(f): 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2015
tongue
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by dhardline(m): 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2015
Them go gree talk true?

Our leaders have become a burden to us.we put them there,they took our money and now they plan

on taking our voice.The earlier we stand stand up and say NO to this the better for us cause if not

One day we will wake up and they would have sold us all.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by Trailblazer1(m): 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin

The Junketing dullard has got no choice than to steer clear or suffer a backlash from the most politically conscious section of the populace.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by ksstroud: 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
Tis good governance the people want, enough of talk talk... If he likes make him disassociate himself from APC sef

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by Trailblazer1(m): 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by mach7(m): 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
yungchief:
Why booking space? Grow up!
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by Ojeremi(m): 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
i simply dnt kw wat to type so i decided to type NOTHING because the mods cnt ban me, baba has said we cn talk any how! *

THE PERSON BELOW ME IS A GHOST
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by orijintv(m): 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
Awon Oloriburuku . . Let Dem Be Givin Us Nunsense OT . . Dem No No Say We Don Wise Up . . #SAYYESTOSOCIALMEDIA

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by Roverguy: 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
Hmmn
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by ladyF(f): 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
yaay

Our President has spoken.

LadyF is Front Page Chilling grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by Nobody: 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
We have more pressing issues at hand than this silly bill. Let them pass laws on corruption.

"Death sentence for corrupt leaders".

16 Likes

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by jegusj(m): 8:33pm On Dec 07, 2015
very good.
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Dec 07, 2015
x.x.x™
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. by DrGill(m): 8:33pm On Dec 07, 2015
Am having mixed feeling abt dis social bill stuff even tho its passed into d law, it does not stop us frm speakin our mind, i trust my naija guys
shey me wey be say na insyd abule i dey live, na tecno touchlight wey dey browse sef i dey use, for my hood, dem go con arrest me, dem go find me tire...

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Supreme Court Declared Wike Winner / Amaechi: Govs Asked Jonathan To Share Oil Savings Because He Was Mismanaging It / Obasanjo: Carrington Leaked Information Of My Arrest During Abacha Regime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.