Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? (7349 Views)

Poll: Can they?

Yes: 40% (19 votes)
No: 59% (28 votes)
This poll has ended

How Nollywood And Hollywood Almost Killed Me! (+PICS) / Things Hollywood And Bollywood Movies Teach Us / Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by captured(f): 6:57pm On Jun 01, 2009
It is no more news that Nollywood and Bollywood have given HollyWood a run for thier money, but how will people especially nigerians respond to shows, movies and such projects between Nollywood and Bollywood.
Would we get the response level we get when you mention Hollywood stars?
For example: If Bollywood living legends like Anil Kappor of Slumdog Millionaire,  Dharmendra and Hemamalini were to come to Nigeria on a tour or something like that?
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by sexyLeamon(f): 5:38am On Jun 02, 2009
the bollywood star I like the most is not in your list tongue
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by tpiah: 3:47pm On Jun 02, 2009
Bollywood would take over Nollywood.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Thirdborn: 12:44am On Jun 19, 2009
ARE YOU SERIOUS, NOLLYWOOD AND BOLLYWOOD HAVE GIVEN HOLLYWOOD A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY? hOLLYWOOD MAKES MORE IN A YARE THAN BOLLY AND NOLLY COMBINED, INFACT HOLLYWOODS BIGGEST HIT FOR A YAER MAKES TEN TIMES MORE THAN ALL NOLLYWOOD FILMS OUT TOGETHER, SO DON'T THINK THAT HOLLYWOOD IS WORRIED ABOUT A SILLY RANKING, WHAT'S THIS PRIMARY SCHOOL?

AS PER YOUR NOLLYWOOD AND BOLLYWOOD COLLABO, GO COLLABO WITH SOUTH AFRICA FIRST. HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK YOU CAN PAY A BOLLY ACTOR WHEN THIER SALARY WILL MAKE 100 NOLLYWOOD FILMS.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by captured(f): 1:13pm On Jun 21, 2009
Thirdborn:

ARE YOU SERIOUS, NOLLYWOOD AND BOLLYWOOD HAVE GIVEN HOLLYWOOD A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY? hOLLYWOOD MAKES MORE IN A YARE THAN BOLLY AND NOLLY COMBINED, INFACT HOLLYWOODS BIGGEST HIT FOR A YAER MAKES TEN TIMES MORE THAN ALL NOLLYWOOD FILMS OUT TOGETHER, SO DON'T THINK THAT HOLLYWOOD IS WORRIED ABOUT A SILLY RANKING, WHAT'S THIS PRIMARY SCHOOL?

AS PER YOUR NOLLYWOOD AND BOLLYWOOD COLLABO, GO COLLABO WITH SOUTH AFRICA FIRST. HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK YOU CAN PAY A BOLLY ACTOR WHEN THIER SALARY WILL MAKE 100 NOLLYWOOD FILMS.

to bring even hollywood stars to nigeria is not so much about cos there is money enough to bring the music stars so why not the actors and actresess. fact is there is already an arrangement on bringing bollywood's top stars to Nigeria, I was just curious as to which stars nigerian will want to meet, is it the traditional ones or the more mordern ones, male or female, dancers or singers, that kind of thing

Nollywood is quite regulated and cant be moved asid by bollywood on its own soil, so no shaking.

Ranking is and will always be a part of anything you do in entertainment even if it is in the personal lives of those involved so leave primary school, this one is as real as forbes and Mnet
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Thirdborn: 1:39pm On Jun 21, 2009
@Captured

Guy/Girl are you for real?
Forbes and Mnet? I bet you are one of the people who believes that Nollywood is actually the third/second largest film industry instead of third/second largest film producing nation. Forbes focuses on Cash and net worth, check it again. I am not just taking for the sake of talking i have written for international and local magazines and the movie s is my specialty and i actually want to see things get better here. Thank God for this forum where we can exchange views.

Ask yourself what kind of story are we going to come up with that will need the appearance of Bollywood stars? Are our styles similar (singing and dancing)? Will the films be in English?

It is not just enough to bring the stars, the move has to be justified. Its houldn't just be a way to boost Nolly cos if it goes wrong, it will be a blemish on the industry and such a collabo will never happen again, you get me?
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by captured(f): 10:54pm On Jun 22, 2009
everyone knows Nigeria produces movies faster than biscuits, but that is not an issue

we are hoping a forum between the two industries will help them discuss their implementation process with nollywood actually benefiting more.

India like nigeria is not as rich as america but has structured the industry to become a money spinner. given the similarity in the operation environment, i think the forum is a great idea.

India movies are available in english and indian languages, and are have a standard of been subtitled in english

out of curiosity, what would you rather recommend sincew you seen so strongly against bringbollywood to nigeria
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Thirdborn: 11:17pm On Jun 22, 2009
@Captured
I never said i was against bollywood coming to Nigeria, but i say it should be under sensible circumstances. We should be learning from them and not trying to compare our selves with them, World position aside we cannot match their movies, even the ones from far back eg Disc dancer. So what do we have to offer them? a working relationship should benefit all parties involved. If Bolly is to come it will seem like charity cos we might gain, and i say might because we might just try to pose that we are working with Bolly instead of actually learning but what will the gain? definitely not money and definitely not fame.

After what u said about Forbes, i researched it and there was nothing on nollywood on Forbes, but i was able to learn that Bollywood is finally working with Hollywood, raking in big bucks and deals worth billions are being signed. Now this is because they improved by stepping up their production to near hollywood standard.

Let me ask you a question, If you start an airline and did a good job and had to enter a joint venture with Arik or Nigeria airways, which would you choose?

Logic!
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jun 23, 2009
Thirdborn:

@Captured

Guy/Girl are you for real?
Forbes and Mnet? I bet you are one of the people who believes that Nollywood is actually the third/second largest film industry instead of third/second largest film producing nation. Forbes focuses on Cash and net worth, check it again. I am not just taking for the sake of talking i have written for international and local magazines and the movie s is my specialty and i actually want to see things get better here. Thank God for this forum where we can exchange views.

Ask yourself what kind of story are we going to come up with that will need the appearance of Bollywood stars? Are our styles similar (singing and dancing)? Will the films be in English?

It is not just enough to bring the stars, the move has to be justified. Its shouldn't just be a way to boost Nolly cos if it goes wrong, it will be a blemish on the industry and such a collabo will never happen again, you get me?

Spot on.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by MUZBO(m): 12:42pm On Jun 23, 2009
Why can't we just shoot towards the stars if we can rather than the moon. We should collabo with Hollywood straight. Who said Brat Pitt doesn't want to act with Shan George or even Jenifer!
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by MrCrackles(m): 12:51pm On Jun 23, 2009
Two inept industries wanting to work together will be nothing but disastrous! grin tongue
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omar22(m): 1:02pm On Jun 23, 2009
It is no more news that Nollywood and Bollywood have given HollyWood a run for thier money

May be Bollywood, but Nollywood, no chance

May be in the quantity of movies produced

But quality
storyline
production

Not even close!!!
Bollywood has moved leap and bounds whereas Nigerian films are no different to the one they produced in the 80's
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by tundewoods(m): 1:03pm On Jun 23, 2009
captured:

It is no more news that Nollywood and Bollywood have given HollyWood a run for thier money, but how will people especially nigerians respond to shows, movies and such projects between Nollywood and Bollywood.
Would we get the response level we get when you mention Hollywood stars?
For example: If Bollywood living legends like Anil Kappor of Slumdog Millionaire,  Dharmendra and Hemamalini were to come to Nigeria on a tour or something like that?

@ Poster

I am trying hard to comprehend what seems to be your motivating factor behind this thread. But that at it may be,is for another day. The point is why on earth do you think our "glorified home video" industry nick named Nollywood can even be compared to a much more organized and sophisticated Bollywood ?

We dont make movies if you ask me but home videos that can only be glorified by the likes of MNET's African Magic Channel. Dont take it personal but MNET knows what its doing by glorifying these home videos. They need a leverage which they seem to have found in the DSTV African Magic due to its mass appeal in Nigeria and West Africa.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omar22(m): 1:07pm On Jun 23, 2009
India like nigeria is not as rich as america

Quote of the century,  ha ha ha ha

India has over $400bn in reserve, US just borrowed over a Trillion
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omar22(m): 1:17pm On Jun 23, 2009
For an interesting comparison of Hollywood and Bollywood financial figures, see chart. It shows tickets sold in a year and total revenue estimates. Bollywood sold 3.6 billion tickets and had total revenues (theatre tickets, DVDs, television etc.) of US$1.3 billion, whereas Hollywood films sold 2.6 billion tickets and generated total revenues (again from all formats) of US$51 billion.

Nigeria has a US$250 million movie industry, churning out some 200 videos for the home video market every month

(200 videos gaddamit a month)
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omar22(m): 1:27pm On Jun 23, 2009
The reason it wont work is because, financially it wont suite the Bollywood actors/actresses they have professional actors that could easily cross over to Hollywood! Nollywood actors are a joke, theirs a major difference in acting a role and becoming the character being played…honestly theirs still a gulf between the industries and with Nollywood churning out over 200 movies a month leaves no room for improvement, to me the main concern is their pay cheque.

Ok we have Hollywood stars thinking about using Nollywood to shoot their films due to low cost in resources and production probably low tax rate. But at the end of the day the director, producer and main actors would all be foreigners and 99.5% of the revenue of the film would be going abroad.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Emperoh(m): 1:54pm On Jun 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

Two inept industries wanting to work together will be nothing but disastrous! grin tongue
Hmmm Brash!! I doubt it but have you seen Slumdog Millonaire?
If you haven't, It walked away with eight Oscar!! shocked
Made up totally of all Indian/Bollywood cast but mostly British/American/Hollywood crew!!

There is nothing wanted of Nigeria in terms of HR and creativity that won't be found
We may pick holes with out distribution network, quality of movies, technology and finance
But i must tell you that most of these issues can and are already being surmounted.

I don't see why Nollywood characters can't interprete a Hollywood or Bollowood Script. . . .we are our own problems
We rile and fail to appreciate ours while congratulating others (yes they deserve it). If we are able to dominate the African Movie and entertainment , we can also dominate the world scene. I don't see a lot of Nollywood movies but we just need to surmount little challenges and we are there. As for the finances, lets fight and defeat the Alaba boys. After that we can measure the level of success.

We'll surely get there.
If Akon, Wyclef and Tuface have done Collabos with why not Jim Iyke, Stella Damasus and tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie and Eddie Murphy.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by MrCrackles(m): 2:09pm On Jun 23, 2009
Emperoh:

If you haven't, It walked away with eight Oscar!! shocked
Made up totally of all Indian/Bollywood cast but mostly British/American/Hollywood crew!

I have mate, and i know it walked away with eight oscars plus it also banked rave reviews worldwide!
But still, the two industries have a long way to go, especially Nollywood! grin
Working together is a different ball game brov, maybe realistic if both industries improve tremendously
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omar22(m): 2:17pm On Jun 23, 2009
If you haven't, It walked away with eight Oscar!!
Made up totally of all Indian/Bollywood cast but mostly British/American/Hollywood crew!!

There is nothing wanted of Nigeria in terms of HR and creativity that won't be found
We may pick holes with out distribution network, quality of movies, technology and finance
But i must tell you that most of these issues can and are already being surmounted.

I don't see why Nollywood characters can't interprete a Hollywood or Bollowood Script. . . .we are our own problems
We rile and fail to appreciate ours while congratulating others (yes they deserve it). If we are able to dominate the African Movie and entertainment , we can also dominate the world scene. I don't see a lot of Nollywood movies but we just need to surmount little challenges and we are there. As for the finances, lets fight and defeat the Alaba boys. After that we can measure the level of success.

We'll surely get there.
If Akon, Wyclef and Tuface have done Collabos with why not Jim Iyke, Stella Damasus and tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie and Eddie Murphy.

Its not about whether we appreciate our own or not, the reality is if you look at the Hindu films we saw back in the 70’s compared with the ones of today, you could see the progress and the improvement, But that cannot be said about Nigerian movies! The storylines are all the same, it’s like reading a Mill and Boon novel! They all end the same way. Am not staying that we wont reach but may be the problem is us Nigerians… last someone talked about an actress rejecting a nude scene! And everyone said it’s not our culture!!! Well that’s it, theirs no short cut! to catch a monkey you need to act like a gorilla,
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omooloye1(f): 2:28pm On Jun 23, 2009
@ poster

What's your point, I mean, why would they work together?
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Emperoh(m): 2:39pm On Jun 23, 2009
Brashy et Omar

Before i continue, can someone define what working together means?
Cos most of the things you guys harp on are largely production issues!!
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omar22(m): 3:35pm On Jun 23, 2009
Before i continue, can someone define what working together means?
Cos most of the things you guys harp on are largely production issues!!

-C-O-L-L-A-B-O
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by ziga: 3:54pm On Jun 23, 2009
Please guys,
I just noticed all over nairaland. if any potentially positive thing about Nigeria is mentioned, we all bash it to pieces.

Which will u prefer, an idiot who sits down all day doing nothing or one who tries to learn.

Bollywood/Nollywood will be a beautiful collaboration, and somehow, i hope those who plan it get things right.

I'm not a fan of Nollywood movies, but they can improve.

To all those like me who used to think that Nollywood was just for West Africa, you will be surprised, just like me if you go to some unlikely countries and the question people ask you when you tell them you are Nigerian is "Do you know Aki and pawpaw"
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by rhufffryda(m): 4:03pm On Jun 23, 2009
Nollywood is a fvcking BIG joke.

No originality, no master script writers, no good production equipments.

Hell, there is definitely no contest.

lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Nezed(f): 4:58pm On Jun 23, 2009
Yes they can work together!

Genevieve will be Sunita and Bob-manuel will be Dharmenda!

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by okokomeji: 5:25pm On Jun 23, 2009
No, they cannot work together. Or maybe, better still could work only in Nigeria; where there is no color limits. Until India removes the caste's class shitz from their way of life, you don't denigrate others because you think they are inferior. Even the almighty "Oyinbo" who God gave the master key to this only begotten world will never looked down on black folks. The white Americans will testify to this though!
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Nezan(m): 6:01pm On Jun 23, 2009
rhufffryda:

Nollywood is a fvcking BIG joke.

No originality, no master script writers, no good production equipments.

Hell, there is definitely no contest.

lipsrsealed undecided
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin diz iz Naija,,,,,
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by sley4life(m): 6:07pm On Jun 23, 2009
@poster, point of correction. Nollywood havent given Hollywood a run for their money. rephrase such statement. Nollywood is no where near hollywood. They cant be compared at all. U can compare nollywood with ghanawood or beninwood cheesy
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omar22(m): 6:42pm On Jun 23, 2009
or should I say Congowood!!!

In all honestly, theirs an issue with Indians about discrimination in the country, have you seen a black indian play a major role in an Hindu movie? no!! so what makes you think they would mix with Africans? I know it would benefit Nigeria but theirs no benefit for Bollywood
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by kok(m): 7:38pm On Jun 23, 2009
Why not!! The indians will jump at it. Nigeria is a big country to them irrespective of the present condition of things. These guys think of nigeria like the US.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jun 23, 2009
yes! they can.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bbtitans 2023: Top 10 Richest Big Brother Titans Season1 Housemates / Please Recommend Some Good Nigerian Movies / Your Best Kissing Scene In A Movie.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.