Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,873 members, 7,806,494 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn (10931 Views)

Supreme Court Voids Mobil’s Sack Of 860 Nigerian Staff, 18 Years After / Chinese Firm Incarcerates 30 Nigerian Staff In Its Premises For Three Days / That Act Of Discrimination By Virgin Atlantic Airways (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by Adesiji77: 9:16am On Dec 08, 2015
LAGOS—The 20 Nigerian cabin crew members recently laid off by Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd, have instituted a N5billion suit against the Airline before the National Industrial Court sitting in Lagos.
Aviation Logistics and Management Ltd is also a defendant in the suit.
The Nigerian cabin crew, through their counsel, Chief Felix Fagbohungbe, SAN, are praying the court to restrain the respondents from laying them off or giving effects to the notice of termination of employment served on them pending the hearing and determination of the suit.
Wants suspension of notice of termination of employment
They are also want the court to suspend the notice of termination of employment served on them pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit.
They are further asking the court to direct the respondents to pay them the sum of N5billion as damages for the act of discrimination against them.
The 20 cabin crew,  Genevieve Mordi, Umo Akinselure, Lukman Yusuf, Ekaete Victor-Iyamu, Victoria Enyi, George Ezemba, James Ajayi, Rosemary Ogbor, Babajide Akinyele, Remilekun Lashebikan, Yewande Salau, David Dagat, Babafemi Oshifeko, Babatunde Olamuye, Juliet Ezumba, Rachel Ideho, Ademola Olowolade, Imelda Blankson, Halimat Odeyemi and Tolumilade Sogbesan, are contending that they were all laid off on November 30, 2015, following an internal memo issued by the Executive Vice President, Customer, of the Airline, Jill Brady.
Cultural expertise no longer required
In the memo, it was disclosed that the provision of cultural expertise which was the primary purpose of employing the claimants was no longer required by the Airline on its Lagos-London route.
In a 36 paragraph affidavit in support of the suit, deposed to by one of the plaintiffs, Umo Akinselure, they averred that the claimants were never informed by any of the respondents that the sole reason for their employment was to provide cultural expertise in respect of the Airline’s flight operations on the Lagos-London route.
No survey conducted
They further averred that no survey was ever conducted by the Airline which revealed that the cultural expertise provided by the claimants in respect of its Lagos-London route is no longer required.
According to them, the Airline’s intention to terminate their employment was based solely on their race, colour and social extraction, even though the Lagos-London route was said to be the most commercially viable and most profitable route for the Airline.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/nigerian-staff-sue-virgin-atlantic-airways-for-n5bn/ lalasticlala, Seun

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by damton(m): 12:22pm On Dec 08, 2015
The perpetual disregard and abuse of Nigerian worker by Foreign firms and outfits demands urgent attention of those at the helms of affairs.

You can't do business in a territory and make profits and in turn just to abuse such people and dump them.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by looseweight: 12:22pm On Dec 08, 2015
This just 1% of what is happening in a factories owned by expertriate...

Something urgent needs to be done

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 08, 2015
Great decision
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by Franzeez(m): 12:23pm On Dec 08, 2015
O
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by Timoleon(m): 12:23pm On Dec 08, 2015
Except this SAN Felix is doing this case as a "pro-bono", i see this 20 people losing more funds of theirs. 5billion kwanu? big dreams i tell you. Waiting for survey to tell the company your cultural expertise is no longer needed. well make i grab chair siddon see as d mata go end.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by mobaladc: 12:23pm On Dec 08, 2015
[size=28pt]I C T Scholarship Program, Apply: http://apps4u200..com[/size]
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by Holluwatarhyor(m): 12:23pm On Dec 08, 2015
Whatever pounds their yam.....
Ah no get work for office today,ah just dey make front page.......
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 08, 2015
Good.APC pls back them up Dont betray them like PDP
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by Bobby4090: 12:24pm On Dec 08, 2015
Buhari's Bodi Language will help us win the suit!
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by Chimaritoponcho: 12:24pm On Dec 08, 2015
hit like if u think man united will defeat wolfsburg today and finish as group leaders

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by kfrosh: 12:24pm On Dec 08, 2015
Let's see what good will come out of this.
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by ikombe: 12:26pm On Dec 08, 2015
She has got to be kidding me grin

no be only 5billion na 6trillion cheesy
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by kfrosh: 12:27pm On Dec 08, 2015
Space bookers of Nigeria plc. undecided
damton:
h
Franzeez:
O
Franzeez:
O
Holluwatarhyor:
Whatever pounds their yam.....
Ah no get work for office today,ah just dey make front page.......
Timoleon:
g
damton:
h

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by LaconicINC: 12:27pm On Dec 08, 2015
i hope they have enough savings to pursue this case, because its gonna be a tough one with many adjournments
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by free2ryhme: 12:32pm On Dec 08, 2015
nice move
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by henrixx(m): 12:33pm On Dec 08, 2015
Now this got me thinking..... If I get 5bn now how will I spend it......
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by wale2020: 12:36pm On Dec 08, 2015
Jimoh Ibrahim did same thing to Virgin Nigeria/Air Nigeria staff. Now Richard Branson and his Virgin Atlantic. Please don't give up on your suit. God will open up a better channel for you guys in Jesus Name. Amen.
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by omonnakoda: 12:38pm On Dec 08, 2015
Timoleon:
Except this SAN Felix is doing this case as a "pro-bono", i see this 20 people losing more funds of theirs. 5billion kwanu? big dreams i tell you. Waiting for survey to tell the company your cultural expertise is no longer needed. well make i grab chair siddon see as d mata go end.
Often better to keep quiet and keep people guessing than to speak and remove all doubt........

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by Timoleon(m): 12:46pm On Dec 08, 2015
omonnakoda:
Often better to keep quiet and keep people guessing than to speak and remove all doubt........

I believe you speak to yourself by mentioning me if you do not respect the fact that this case is in court simply because there are different opinions on it. As such, as a free citizen of this country, i av a right to agree or disagree with either opinions. In the mean time, you can keep peddling your ignorance. I stil think they are wasting their time and money.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by ikechukwu354(m): 12:48pm On Dec 08, 2015
they want to dry the British billonaire
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by miqos02(m): 1:28pm On Dec 08, 2015
nice
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by jackpot(f): 1:44pm On Dec 08, 2015
End Time Airline

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by madjune(m): 2:11pm On Dec 08, 2015
I wish it were those insultive arik air Lagos to new York flight attendants that got this boot.

I've known virgin crew to be polite and humble.

Sad.
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 08, 2015
Pls these Cabine Crew should press this charges hard and this court should make sure they restore them back. They can come to our country treat us bad when we go theirs they maltreat us.

In Asia, no company operates without employing the citizens, to the extend is 90%, when u come to Nigeria high commission, the supporting staff are citizens of that country.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by armadeo(m): 2:35pm On Dec 08, 2015
Lol

Will love to see how this would end. I think is still has to do with that guy who was caught smuggling drugs.

Guess what virgin thought

We can't trust Nigerians.
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by excel101(m): 5:08pm On Dec 08, 2015
Adesiji77:
LAGOS—The 20 Nigerian cabin crew members recently laid off by Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd, have instituted a N5billion suit against the Airline before the National Industrial Court sitting in Lagos.
Aviation Logistics and Management Ltd is also a defendant in the suit.
The Nigerian cabin crew, through their counsel, Chief Felix Fagbohungbe, SAN, are praying the court to restrain the respondents from laying them off or giving effects to the notice of termination of employment served on them pending the hearing and determination of the suit.
Wants suspension of notice of termination of employment
They are also want the court to suspend the notice of termination of employment served on them pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit.
They are further asking the court to direct the respondents to pay them the sum of N5billion as damages for the act of discrimination against them.
The 20 cabin crew,  Genevieve Mordi, Umo Akinselure, Lukman Yusuf, Ekaete Victor-Iyamu, Victoria Enyi, George Ezemba, James Ajayi, Rosemary Ogbor, Babajide Akinyele, Remilekun Lashebikan, Yewande Salau, David Dagat, Babafemi Oshifeko, Babatunde Olamuye, Juliet Ezumba, Rachel Ideho, Ademola Olowolade, Imelda Blankson, Halimat Odeyemi and Tolumilade Sogbesan, are contending that they were all laid off on November 30, 2015, following an internal memo issued by the Executive Vice President, Customer, of the Airline, Jill Brady.
Cultural expertise no longer required
In the memo, it was disclosed that the provision of cultural expertise which was the primary purpose of employing the claimants was no longer required by the Airline on its Lagos-London route.
In a 36 paragraph affidavit in support of the suit, deposed to by one of the plaintiffs, Umo Akinselure, they averred that the claimants were never informed by any of the respondents that the sole reason for their employment was to provide cultural expertise in respect of the Airline’s flight operations on the Lagos-London route.
No survey conducted
They further averred that no survey was ever conducted by the Airline which revealed that the cultural expertise provided by the claimants in respect of its Lagos-London route is no longer required.
According to them, the Airline’s intention to terminate their employment was based solely on their race, colour and social extraction, even though the Lagos-London route was said to be the most commercially viable and most profitable route for the Airline.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/nigerian-staff-sue-virgin-atlantic-airways-for-n5bn/ lalasticlala, Seun
its no news cos several organisations has been right sizing for quite sometime now, nd nothin has been done since
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by faray: 10:58pm On Dec 08, 2015
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by Nobody: 3:14am On Dec 09, 2015
Chai... This topic still never full reach 2nd page after like 15hrs on frontpage... mehn
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by Nobody: 3:19am On Dec 09, 2015
I pray you win the case sha... #5B
Re: Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn by donodion(m): 8:15am On Dec 09, 2015
damton:
The perpetual disregard and abuse of Nigerian worker by Foreign firms and outfits demands urgent attention of those at the helms of affairs.

You can't do business in a territory and make profits and in turn just to abuse such people and dump them.

which is why labor law policies must be revamped.

No country progresses with her labor force existing below living wages.

Nigerian Labor Law needs a revamp!!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get The Skills To Live The Way You Want! / ICAN Set To Conduct 3 Exam Diets Every Year / ICAN November 2019 Exam Docket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.