Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,549 members, 7,801,536 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:47 PM

Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. (60104 Views)

TV Throwback: Where Are The Child Stars Of Yesteryears? / Photos Of Nollywood Stars Who Relocated Abroad (What They Look Like Now) / Remember Patra? See What She Looks Like Now! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by oluwasegun007(m): 6:21pm On Dec 08, 2015
pls......is Benita Married??
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by samsongbemisola(m): 6:42pm On Dec 08, 2015
irunooboo:
Even tho i cant act like them, they also cant handle dicks like me. everyone's got their area of expertise smiley
410 u don come here
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by yomilike(m): 8:35pm On Dec 08, 2015
grin
irunooboo:
Even tho i cant act like them, they also cant handle dicks like me. everyone's got their area of expertise smiley
U are gifted angry
irunooboo:
U are gifted
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by niggi4life(m): 11:38pm On Dec 08, 2015
shumuel:

ehen! Repete, you mean the same Genevive ? And is it Cupa or Pupa ?

Some shoking things about her that am seeing today o
I think kupa or Cupa victory... Check YouTube's for his videos and u will be shocked....I even knew genny when she was living in Egbeda way back, one of my friend don F am couple of times before...
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by Nobody: 4:40am On Dec 09, 2015
Abeg what happened to those kids in " Dear mother" the most little one , I so like her and that their awesome mummy, can't remember her name again.
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by naptu2: 6:53am On Dec 09, 2015
Tosin Jegede said she left Nigeria in order to avoid being kidnapped.

There was a cartoonist called Lawrence Akapa. He started the popular Mr and Mrs cartoons on Vanguard Newspaper in the early 1980s. In fact, he was one of the reasons that I started reading Vanguard. He later left Vanguard (in the late 1980s) and started a magazine called Top News and it is the most disreputable rag that I've ever seen.

Top News published fantastic lies. They claimed that Tosin Jegede had a boyfriend that got her pregnant and that she had an abortion and died as a result of it. They also said that Michael Jackson had a Nigerian girlfriend and published a picture of Michael Jackson and a Nigerian girl to back up their claim.

It got so bad that the Nigerian Union of Journalist had to sanction him. The NUJ called a press conference (which was shown on the NTA Network News) in which they denounced him. Tosin Jegede was at that news conference with her parents (so that everybody could see that she was alive). Michael Jackson's supposed Nigerian girlfriend was also at the news conference. She said that she had never met Michael Jackson and that she didn't know how Lawrence Akapa superimposed her picture on a picture of Michael Jackson (remember that this was before Adobe Photoshop became popular). There were many other people at that news conference that complained that Akapa used their names or pictures to cook up false stories. He was also in the habit of stealing pictures from foreign magazines and concocting fake stories about the pictures.

(Magazines like Prime People and Vintage People also competed to be the first to break scandalous stories about her).

It seems that Nigerians and the Nigerian media in particular were obsessed with this idea of child stars getting pregnant and dying while trying to abort the baby. A rumour that Yvonne Maha had gotten pregnant and died while trying to abort the baby spread like wildfire in 1985. It was later proven that the rumour was false, but it kept resurfacing throughout the 1980s and '90s. Meanwhile, Yvonne Maha is still alive and living happily in Brazil.
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by naptu2: 7:02am On Dec 09, 2015
tochimas:
Abeg what happened to those kids in " Dear mother" the most little one , I so like her and that their awesome mummy, can't remember her name again.

Some people have already posted pictures of the youngest child (Sharon Ezeamaka). She now stars in the MTV series "Shugga".

Sharon Ezeamaka
[img]http://www.nigeriadailynews.news/thumbnail.php?file=Capturev_525348782.jpg&size=article_large[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/-_ihdg_uMlv0/VTgJRWn70pI/AAAAAAAFBn0/FawATeoCdYU/s1600/1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/-MTxNc-MOilE/VTgLfU8zzBI/AAAAAAAFBow/ZmsqYcsoxZM/s1600/00.png[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/-8Gwte3w_3C4/VTgJTistBkI/AAAAAAAFBn8/FlI8jLWmtBE/s1600/3.jpg[/img]

2006 thread about Dear Mother. https://www.nairaland.com/22562/dear-mother
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by shumuel(m): 10:00am On Dec 09, 2015
niggi4life:
I think kupa or Cupa victory... Check YouTube's for his videos and u will be shocked....I even knew genny when she was living in Egbeda way back, one of my friend don F am couple of times before...

Okay, but she won't be happy if she sees such videos cos am sure she would be ugly in it, kikiki grin
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by naptu2: 12:47pm On Dec 27, 2015
[size=14pt]Chief Ofonime Felix Okon and De Udo Maryam Group[/size]

Mrs Maryam Babangida was the First Lady of Nigeria from 1985-1993. She took a special interest in the welfare of children and rural women and she hosted many events that were focused on the improvement of the welfare of children and rural women. One of these events was the First Lady's Children's Concert. All the usual established acts (Funmi Adams, etc) performed at the concert, but it was an unknown little 5 year old child that stole the show.

Ofonime Felix Okon mounted the stage and played the biggest hits of the time on his xylophone. He was simply fantastic. He didn't miss a note and he was not afraid of the crowd. Mrs Babangida was amazed. She carried the little boy and called him her child. From then on Ofonime Okon performed at all major events that Mrs Babangida hosted. She offered to finance his education up to university level and also took him along on her trips outside the country. Some people began calling him "Udo Maryam", which means Maryam's son in his native ibibio language and the name stuck. His music and dance group is called Udo Maryam.

Ofonime Felix Okon and his group have performed before numerous heads of states and dignitaries around the world, including George Bush, Olusegun Obasanjo, Queen Elizabeth II, Sani Abacha and Ibrahim Babangida.

One of his little proteges performed the Nigerian and American anthems at the Leon H. Sullivan Summit in Abuja in July 2003, which was attended by Presidents Bush and Obasanjo. President Obasanjo was surprised and amused when the little girl played the Nigerian anthem and the Americans went crazy when she played their anthem.

Here's a video of Ofonime Felix Okon (all grown up now) leading his Udo Maryam group at the Lagos Black Heritage Festival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaX9HFn2GbY

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by TonySpike: 4:06am On Dec 28, 2015
naptu2:
[size=14pt]Chief Ofonime Felix Okon and De Udo Maryam Group[/size]

Mrs Maryam Babangida was the First Lady of Nigeria from 1985-1993. She took a special interest in the welfare of children and rural women and she hosted many events that were focused on the improvement of the welfare of children and rural women. One of these events was the First Lady's Children's Concert. All the usual established acts (Funmi Adams, etc) performed at the concert, but it was an unknown little 5 year old child that stole the show.

Ofonime Felix Okon mounted the stage and played the biggest hits of the time on his xylophone. He was simply fantastic. He didn't miss a note and he was not afraid of the crowd. Mrs Babangida was amazed. She carried the little boy and called him her child. From then on Ofonime Okon performed at all major events that Mrs Babangida hosted. She offered to finance his education up to university level and also took him along on her trips outside the country. Some people began calling him "Udo Maryam", which means Maryam's son in his native ibibio language and the name stuck. His music and dance group is called Udo Maryam.

Ofonime Felix Okon and his group have performed before numerous heads of states and dignitaries around the world, including George Bush, Olusegun Obasanjo, Queen Elizabeth II, Sani Abacha and Ibrahim Babangida.

One of his little proteges performed the Nigerian and American anthems at the Leon H. Sullivan Summit in Abuja in July 2003, which was attended by Presidents Bush and Obasanjo. President Obasanjo was surprised and amused when the little girl played the Nigerian anthem and the Americans went crazy when she played their anthem.

Here's a video of Ofonime Felix Okon (all grown up now) leading his Udo Maryam group at the Lagos Black Heritage Festival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaX9HFn2GbY

I remember watching this man on TV when he was a little boy. He was so extraordinarily skillful in the use of xylophone. Perhaps, he might be the best player in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by naptu2: 4:30am On Dec 28, 2015
TonySpike:

I remember watching this man on TV when he was a little boy. He was so extraordinarily skillful in the use of xylophone. Perhaps, he might be the best player in Nigeria.

Thanks to Mustay and Worksunlimited for reminding me about him.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by warrenweste(m): 1:42am On Jan 10, 2016
naptu2:

Thanks to Mustay and Worksunlimited for reminding me about him.

i m miss the smell of the 80's and 90's embarassed do u have more news or any info about funmi adams in the past or present cos u talked about her attending one event which the late first lady organized
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by mamawin(f): 2:28am On Jan 10, 2016
irunooboo:
I think u need deliverance, or you don't agree with me?
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by naptu2: 6:20am On Jan 10, 2016
warrenweste:

i m miss the smell of the 80's and 90's embarassed do u have more news or any info about funmi adams in the past or present cos u talked about her attending one event which the late first lady organized

I don't have any information about what she's doing now. I have her audio tape, but I've been searching for it for a while and I still haven't found it. Most of her videos are on Youtube (except my favourite - Ina Gizo Yake), but I think you've already seen all those videos.

She was always invited to perform at Maryam Babangida's events for children particularly because of two of her songs that she sang with lots of children - "All We Need Is Love" and "Nigeria My Beloved Country".
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by warrenweste(m): 11:06am On Jan 10, 2016
naptu2:

I don't have any information about what she's doing now. I have her audio tape, but I've been searching for it for a while and I still haven't found it. Most of her videos are on Youtube (except my favourite - Ina Gizo Yake), but I think you've already seen all those videos.

She was always invited to perform at Maryam Babangida's events for children particularly because of two of her songs that she sang with lots of children - "All We Need Is Love" and "Nigeria My Beloved Country".

Thanks for your response,none of her videos are online beside the crappy one we converted and i uploaded there on youtube,hoping i can hear from the search party thats tracking professor Eugba in the US,she seems to be the only clue to gettin info from her and also from another nairalnder who promised to either send the real video cassette or convert it,do u knw the professor or does his name ring a bell?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by Paentera(m): 10:00pm On Sep 19, 2019
naptu2:
[size=14pt]Nigerian child stars and what they look like now.[/size]

These are some of the most popular Nigerian child stars from tv and music.

TV

1) Uze (Yomi Adeyemi-Wilson) in THIRD EYE.

This was one of the best detective series on the NTA. Olu Jacobs was a police detective who had a very special little helper that assisted him in unravelling the most difficult cases. His very intelligent little daughter (Yomi Adeyemi-Wilson) would always provide a different perspective that would assist him in catching criminals (she often did this unknowingly).

The only flaw in this show was that the NTA continued to portray Yomi Adeyemi-Wilson as a Home Science pupil even when she had moved on to QC (this was in the last 2 or 3 years of the show). You could tell that she was past primary school age.

Her father is Engineer Yomi Adeyemi-Wilson who was the spokesman for Mobil Nigeria, first CEO of the Federal Environmental Protection Agency and former President of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria.

Third Eye was originally aired between c1989-c1994 and this is how Yomi Awosope (nee Adeyemi-Wilson) looks like now (if I remember correctly, she attended Home Science, Queens College and Unilag [law).

Yomi and Niyi Awosope.

http://investmenttodayer..co.za/2013/10/investment-banking-internships-in-boston.html

2) Omotara (Farida Sanusi) in THE REIGN OF ABIKU.

Everybody preferred NTA 2 Channel 5 to NTA Channel 10 in the 1980s, but Channel 10 had a knack for producing phenomenal entries for the Nigerian Festival of Television Programmes (NIFETEP). This was one of the best entries ever (it was Channel 10's entry in the 1985 or 1986 edition).

Omotara was a sweet little girl during the day, but she had some really scary friends that visited her every night. Farida Sanusi's acting was superb, especially during the deliverance session. I'm sure you can remember her growling.

I think The Reign of Abiku and The Pot Of Life (NTA Benin/1987) are the best Nifetep entries ever.

That was 30 years ago. This is what she looks like now (she is now an accountant and fitness instructor).

http://onobello.com/kinabuti-lux-fashion-show/

3) Genevieve Nnaji in RIPPLES.

Ripples (c1988-c1994) was the hottest soap on Nigerian tv in 1988, but it was soon overshadowed by Behind The Clouds (1989) and Checkmate (1991). I didn't watch many episodes of Ripples beyond 1988 (after that I only watched it when everybody else was talking about something that happened on the show), so I'm struggling to remember the storyline, but I'll give it my best shot.

The lead actor (in the beginning) was Sola Fosudo. He was a rich playboy who always had problems with his wife (I think Yetunde Idowu acted as his wife) who was a lawyer. They had a daughter and I think he also had a girlfriend. Anyway, he died in a car crash and the show then focused on the problems that his wife encountered after his death (especially from the evil Talab Abass [played by Alex Usifo Omiagbo). That little daughter was 8 year old Genevieve Nnaji and here's how she looks like now.

http://goldmyne.net/goldmyne/photo-of-the-day-top-actress-genevieve-nnaji-before-the-fame/

http://stargist.com/nigerian_celebrity/if-you-love-someone-let-them-know-immediately-genevieve-nnaji/

Music.

Tosin Jegede produced a string of hits in the mid-1980s (c1984-c1987). This is what she looked like then.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/i-left-the-country-to-escape-from-being-kidnapped/

And this is what she looks like now.

Chichi of Africa burst on the scene around 1988 to give Tosin Jegede a run for her money. She later served as personal assistant to Dele Momodu. This is what she looks like now.

Chibuzor Mercy Idowu.

http://www.aprokocity.com/chichi-of-africa-claims-marriage-husbands-proposal-was-horrible/

Benita Okojie had a string of hits in the mid and late 1990s and this is what she looks like now.

http://www.christianmediang.com/2015/02/new-music-kabiyesi-by-benita-okojie-ft.html

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the boy in Adio Family (late 1970s/early 1980s series) and the very troublesome girl in Checkmate and Fuji House Of Commotion (1990s series).

Sadly, Yomi Adeyemi-Wilson (Uze) passed away on September 12, 2019 after a battle with health challenges.

She will be greatly missed.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by okito: 7:42pm On Nov 10, 2023
Kola was not in Kidivision 101. He had his own show which he anchored on NTA 2, channel 5 called "Reach Out"
TonySpike:

Kola Masha of Kiddie Vision 101 is a big boy now ooo and a genius for that matter. See this:

Kola Masha holds an MBA (Honors) from Harvard and Masters in Mechanical Engineering (Distinction) from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MIT.

http://www.doreopartners.com/kola-masha-managing-director/

Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by TonySpike: 5:04pm On Nov 11, 2023
okito:
Kola was not in Kidivision 101. He had his own show which he anchored on NTA 2, channel 5 called "Reach Out"

Would this be Okito Pama (no longer sure of the surname) responding to me?
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by okito: 12:02am On Nov 30, 2023
TonySpike:

Would this be Okito Pama (no longer sure of the surname) responding to me?
The name just stuck. Yea.
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by TonySpike: 6:04am On Nov 30, 2023
okito:

The name just stuck. Yea.

Haha, one of the NTA child star of those days, 1993/94 ish era. How are you doing these days though, sir?
Re: Nigerian Child Stars And What They Look Like Now. by okito: 4:36pm On Dec 02, 2023
TonySpike:

Haha, one of the NTA child star of those days, 1993/94 ish era. How are you doing these days though, sir?
I am well. Thanks. I can also say everyone in the group is doing well too; in our forties. Lol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Davido, Wizkid, Burna Boy, Lil Kesh And Denrele Fell On Stage (Throwback Video) / Olamide Meets President Buhari (photos) / Zainab: I'm Married To Wizkid Spiritually

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.