Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,880 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:07 AM

Some Misconception About Warri And Her People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Misconception About Warri And Her People (37957 Views)

Common Misconception About Edo(benin)girls / Why Did Africans Sell her People? / A MUST READ: Misconception About Tiv Hospitality. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 08, 2015
Good evening people. . was discussing with someone from north when this discussion came up , and I can bet that his view is common with Most Nigerians especially those from SW, SE and Northern Nigeria.. Below are some misconception about warri and her people.

1. Warri Is Owned By One Ethnic Group : Yea. most people believe Urhobo People own warri, Why some thinks Warri is owned by Itsekiri's. Hell No.. Warri is owned By three Tribe Urhobo, Itsekiri and Ijaw

2. Ruggedity :. I remember my first visit to Lagos.. At first they taught am Yoruba because of my name so they didn't pay me my due respect, So something came up I then revealed my ID that am from warri.. Mehn from that day They start fearing me, never Knew until Someone told me that they were scared of me.. Also Some People thinks if you are from Warri They You are Automatically Sturborn and Rugged which is not true, If you meet some wafarians like LKO, Fratermathy , Freemanan , Onuwaje e.t.c you did be surprise because they are very Cool and gentle but if You See People like me ... hmmmm

3 Oil City : This gat me laughing.. When we refer to warri as an oil city (Wish is a just a title) some people thinks Warri account For about 50% of Delta State Oil Prod. which is not True, Although the Tribes in Warri (Urhobo, Itsekiri and Ijo ) Account for about 93% of Oil prod. in Delta State.. The title "Oil City" Was just given to warri because of the Refinery and some Oil wells, our Major oil prod. are our Offshore oil field.

4 Itsekiri Are Yoruba Subgroup: You mostly hear this from Ignorant people especially those from North and some Yoruba people, Yes they speak almost same language, Bear similar names, But the fact still remains that Itsekiri Are Itsekiri, Yoruba Are Yoruba.. Although Itsekiri have a good relationship with Yoruba especially the Ilaje people who we see as our Kit and Kin.

5. Urhobo, Itsekiri, Ijaw Hates themselves; We usually Hear such Word from Non Niger Deltans who try to use Warri crisis to gain cheap point. You hear statement like " Niger Deltans re not One" "Ijaw hates Itsekiri" e.t.c but I tell you, All are lies, Itsekiri luv ijo , Ijo luv Urhobo Warri crisis is political

6. Warri people cannot speak Good English[/b]
This impression is gotten from the representation of Waffarians as masters of the Nigerian Pidgin. Because of this, most people think people from Warri can speak only pidgin and do not flow well in correct English. Well, this is wrong! The average Waffarian speaks English even much more and far better than the average person from the East, West and North!

7. Warri people are not intelligent
I have actually met quite a few people who have a stereotypical view that Waffarians are dull and unintelligent and only love trouble. Well, this is absolutely FALSE!!! Granted, Warri is a place where it is better IF YOU MAINTAIN YOUR OWN BUSINESS, the people are actually one of the smartest people from Nigeria! Warri has birthed great actors, professors, writers, philosophers, doctors, lawyers, etc. Some of Warri's great products include Richard Mofe Damijo, Professors Tanure Ojaide, Gabriel Darah, J.P. Clark, Isidore Okpewho, Eric Arubayi, Andrew Onokerhoraye, Andrew Evwaraye, etc. These Professors are some of the BEST in their various disciplines. The list of Warri intellectuals and intelligentsia cannot be fully encapsulated in this exposition.

8. The Olu of Warri Rules over ALL of Warri
This erroneous misconception stems from the titular appellation of the monarch himself as the Olu of WARRI! What people dont know is that this title ONLY came to be in the 1950s due to Awolowo. The original title was the Olu of Itsekiri. However, this title has stuck for the major reason that Itsekiris, which are one of the main inhabitants of Warri, call their homeland Iwerre! However, in Warri, there are several other monarchs who rule different ethnic groups. We have the Ovie of Agbarha-Warri, the Orosuen of Okere-Warri, the Pere of Gbaranmatu-Warri, etc. These monarchs rule over various sections of Warri. The Olu rules over the Itsekiri section, the Ovie and Orusuen rules over Urhobo and the Pere rules over Ijaw.

9. Warri is the Capital of Delta State
Well, I wouldn't blame people for thinking this. Most Northerners and Westerners hear only about Warri and assume that it must be Delta's capital. Many have forgotten their primary school States and Capitals... Asaba has always been and remains the capital of Warri. However, the politics that relocated the capital from Warri to Asaba is a story for another day. Warri still houses an annex of the Government House where governors go whenever they want to be close to Waffarians. Former Governor Uduaghan was once attacked for relocating from Asaba to set up a permanent base in Warri. However, I overheard a rumour that Okowa has closed this annex. If Anioma State is ever created for the Igbos of Delta State, Warri shall definitely emerge as a capital. For now, WARRI IS THE ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CAPITAL OF DELTA STATE.

10. Warri includes Effurun, Udu and Osubi
Many novices in Warri usually count separate towns and cities such as Effurun, Enerhen, Udu, Agbarho, Okuokoko, Osubi, etc as part of Warri. This is not true. These towns/cities are independent of Warri. They are even in different local government areas from Warri. Effurun is in Uvwie, Osubi is in Okpe and Udu is an eponymous LGA. Warri City is in Warri South LGA mainly. The main city starts from Airport Road and connects with Edjeba, Okere, Agbarha-Ame, Jakpa, Ugboroke, Iyara, Idimi, Ajamimogha, Okumagba Avenue, Deco, etc. Effurun is a city of its own. Udu is a town of its own. Osubi and Okuokoko are classed as Okpe villages. However, due to modernisation and the lack of available houses in Warri City, many people move to these surrounding cities/towns to live and setup businesses and they end up calling everywhere WARRI. In a metropolitan sense, they are right. However, historically and otherwise, these cities/towns/villages are NOT IN WARRI!!!

Further credits : Fratermathy

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by FruityLass: 7:00pm On Dec 08, 2015
Warri warri

cheesy

Their father!

9 Likes

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 08, 2015
Very true...

Warri is all or nothing... And the misconceptions makes her more popular and awed.... Warri is bae and not bad...

VistWarri joor... grin

Na we!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Kposkila: 7:02pm On Dec 08, 2015
Nice one, Area!

2 Likes

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
seun , lalasticlala oya
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by tpiar: 7:18pm On Dec 08, 2015
am I from Warri?

No.

So, the thread doesnt concern me.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by goldenceo1: 7:20pm On Dec 08, 2015
Warri pple are very brilliant. pple tend to luk at d oda part of us which has bad publicity.

#TeamWarri

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Lucialovely(f): 7:29pm On Dec 08, 2015
FruityLass:
Warri warri

cheesy

Their father!
Their Dad grin

19 Likes

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by fratermathy(m): 7:34pm On Dec 08, 2015
Warri is my city! I am proud to be from the Capital of the Whole World! The city of light, the city of fun! Warri; the only place where everyone is a comedian! Warri, the only place where you walk as if you are going to war. There is no room for dulling in Warri! There is no room for rubbish. Even a kiddo can put you where you belong if you dont mind your business.

Even in all these, Warri is still a relatively peaceful city and one of the nicest places to be in Nigeria!

Vote for your favourite university in the nairaland university rankings here:
https://www.nairaland.com/2787384/nairaland-rankings-nigerian-universities

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 08, 2015
fratermathy:
6. Warri people cannot speak Good English
This impression is gotten from the representation of Waffarians as masters of the Nigerian Pidgin. Because of this, most people think people from Warri can speak only pidgin and do not flow well in correct English. Well, this is wrong! The average Waffarian speaks English even much more and far better than the average person from the East, West and North!

7. Warri people are not intelligent
I have actually met quite a few people who have a stereotypical view that Waffarians are dull and unintelligent and only love trouble. Well, this is absolutely FALSE!!! Granted, Warri is a place where it is better IF YOU MAINTAIN YOUR OWN BUSINESS, the people are actually one of the smartest people from Nigeria! Warri has birthed great actors, professors, writers, philosophers, doctors, lawyers, etc. Some of Warri's great products include Richard Mofe Damijo, Professors Tanure Ojaide, Gabriel Darah, J.P. Clark, Isidore Okpewho, Eric Arubayi, Andrew Onokerhoraye, Andrew Evwaraye, etc. These Professors are some of the BEST in their various disciplines. The list of Warri intellectuals and intelligentsia cannot be fully encapsulated in this exposition.

8. The Olu of Warri Rules over ALL of Warri
This erroneous misconception stems from the titular appellation of the monarch himself as the Olu of WARRI! What people dont know is that this title ONLY came to be in the 1950s due to Awolowo. The original title was the Olu of Itsekiri. However, this title has stuck for the major reason that Itsekiris, which are one of the main inhabitants of Warri, call their homeland Iwerre! However, in Warri, there are several other monarchs who rule different ethnic groups. We have the Ovie of Agbarha-Warri, the Orosuen of Okere-Warri, the Pere of Gbaranmatu-Warri, etc. These monarchs rule over various sections of Warri. The Olu rules over the Itsekiri section, the Ovie and Orusuen rules over Urhobo and the Pere rules over Ijaw.

9. Warri is the Capital of Delta State
Well, I wouldn't blame people for thinking this. Most Northerners and Westerners hear only about Warri and assume that it must be Delta's capital. Many have forgotten their primary school States and Capitals... Asaba has always been and remains the capital of Delta State. However, the politics that relocated the capital from Warri to Asaba is a story for another day. Warri still houses an annex of the Government House where governors go whenever they want to be close to Waffarians. Former Governor Uduaghan was once attacked for relocating from Asaba to set up a permanent base in Warri. However, I overheard a rumour that Okowa has closed this annex. If Anioma State is ever created for the Igbos of Delta State, Warri shall definitely emerge as a capital. For now, WARRI IS THE ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CAPITAL OF DELTA STATE.

10. Warri includes Effurun, Udu and Osubi
Many novices in Warri usually count separate towns and cities such as Effurun, Enerhen, Udu, Agbarho, Okuokoko, Osubi, etc as part of Warri. This is not true. These towns/cities are independent of Warri. They are even in different local government areas from Warri. Effurun is in Uvwie, Osubi is in Okpe and Udu is an eponymous LGA. Warri City is in Warri South LGA mainly. The main city starts from Airport Road and connects with Edjeba, Okere, Agbarha-Ame, Jakpa, Ugboroke, Iyara, Idimi, Ajamimogha, Okumagba Avenue, Deco, etc. Effurun is a city of its own. Udu is a town of its own. Osubi and Okuokoko are classed as Okpe villages. However, due to modernisation and the lack of available houses in Warri City, many people move to these surrounding cities/towns to live and setup businesses and they end up calling everywhere WARRI. In a metropolitan sense, they are right. However, historically and otherwise, these cities/towns/villages are NOT IN WARRI!!!

Lalasticlala, Seun, Obinoscopy, Dominique, Jasysandra, Goodboiyy, Freemanan, Freeemanan, LKO, Onuwaje, Scholes0 take note!!!

bros u too much.. Kindly modify your post as I av done the necessary.. I So much Luv ur No 8

3 Likes

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by LSBF4: 8:24pm On Dec 08, 2015
listening
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 08, 2015
wink
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by switcakes(f): 8:25pm On Dec 08, 2015
grin
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by techskulz(m): 8:26pm On Dec 08, 2015
I still love this part of delta state
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Miscellaneous(m): 8:28pm On Dec 08, 2015
Repping Itsekiri......

WARRI ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Samiceman: 8:28pm On Dec 08, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Amiee99(f): 8:28pm On Dec 08, 2015
I remain a Bendelite

3 Likes

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by LOC1(m): 8:29pm On Dec 08, 2015
I once stayed at Japka and I really must say that Warri is a good place to stay.....

1 Like

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by sirTesco(m): 8:29pm On Dec 08, 2015
Warri is a very nice city.
I like their girls.
That reminds me, the next time I'll visit that city, I will not hesitate to toast/woo that kpokish soft looking gurl that usually visits my aunty.
Her problem is she only comes towards evening when my aunty is back from work. Mtcheeew She will never show up when I'm home alone with Eugene.

5 Likes

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 8:30pm On Dec 08, 2015
grin I was the first to Like
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by martineverest(m): 8:32pm On Dec 08, 2015
1 -5 are all true.... Warri is owned by itsekiri; itsekiri is a mixture of Yoruba and bini culture(more of bini culture, which is the major difference btw get an ilaje); itsekiri, urhobo and ijaw are worst of enemies(just like Benin and ishans in Edo state;ebira and igalla;tiv and idoma); Warri and Benin are contesting for king of ruggedness and Warri is begging for development

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 8:33pm On Dec 08, 2015
cheesy
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Holuwakemmy16(f): 8:33pm On Dec 08, 2015
Warri no dey carry last patapata na draw

1 Like

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by greatiyk4u(m): 8:35pm On Dec 08, 2015
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 08, 2015
tpiar:
am I from Warri?

No.

So, the thread doesnt concern me.
It doesn't mean, it educative.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by tolexy007(m): 8:36pm On Dec 08, 2015
u
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by mikigen(m): 8:36pm On Dec 08, 2015
Warri! cool still Dat urhobo boy! Good job bro! @ goodboiyy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Keeping Fit (Photos) / Ask A Muslim/somali / Nigeria Bans Foreign Models & Voice-Over Artists In Advertisements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.