Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,485 members, 7,781,454 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:42 PM

I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank (40519 Views)

How To Figure Out If You’re In The Wrong Job / 5 Signs You Are In The Wrong Job / Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by tpiar: 6:08am On Dec 10, 2015
ministeriallist:
The bank has a duty of care to verify the total amount in the cheque for conformity with sum total of scheduled amount. .

I doubt the op has that kind of exposure to be able to polish the tale properly.

unless she is referring to a tiny business.

her even bringing the "quandary" to nairaland shows she cant possibly be in the situation she described, rather, she took the hearsay and attempted to develop it into a story.

3 Likes

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Melahou(m): 7:00am On Dec 10, 2015
2n2k:

The OP said a cheque was forwarded with hardcopy. If a cheque is forwarded, it should be the instrument of payment and the bank has no right to debit the customer beyond the value of the cheque since the cheque no is the document no that will be quoted for the transaction. This is different from the direct debit scenario you described.

ok i understand you very well,
am sure for the bank to have gone ahead to pay, the value on the
cheque does not necessarily have to be the same as the value on the salary schedule,
it will only cover a stated amount so that there`ll be enough money in the account so that the bank
will be able to pay

for example...
if the amount on the salary schedule is 1 million Naira
and probably there is only 200,000 in the company`s account.
all you need to do is to write a cheque and make the bank the beneficiary so as to fund the account
"Pay ABC Bank Plc" the sum of 1.5 Million Naira
just to add up with what you have in the account so that the schedule can fly.

and not necessarily the same value on the salary schedule.

because of the relationship the bank may have with a company, most times
the bank can act with just a soft copy, while hard copy may likely be for formality sake or filing purpose.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Melahou(m): 7:02am On Dec 10, 2015
in cases like this you`ll be giving a final warming.
but you shouldn't be asked to pay anything
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by carpenter(m): 7:23am On Dec 10, 2015
For those that wonder how this could have happened, you probably have not seen someone whose car was stolen and he bent down under another person's car looking for it, or looking in the gutter. We react to pressure differently...and you can blame a man for not acting well under pressure but please show some compassion.

The initial email was correct but the bank staff was on leave...(first problem). That puts pressure on you as people are waiting for salaries including you. The bank should also have made sure emails were forwarded from the away staff account to the person relieving her or emails sent to a group that could relieve each other (2nd problem). Unfortunately, when the bank realized their own mistake of not providing effective cover, they asked to be bailed out by resending the email to another person (3rd problem, they are now under pressure). OP in good faith (hey he wants his salary too, so issues are compounded) looked for a previous email without checking the date it was sent or making sure sent email folder was updated (4th problem, when things want to go wrong...they will really go wrong). Bank on receiving the email and knowing they have been receiving such from the person didn't do a check (5th problem, there is a reason why we have a checklist)

I have written the above because most mistakes follow the same path...you can blame the OP for his/her part in it but it extends beyond that. I also think he/she did the right thing apologizing and please you do not need to degrade yourself because you made a mistake…accepting your part in the mistake is good but for your self-confidence, don’t go writing emotional appealing letters.

A job is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

I have intentionally decided not to get into the attitude and politics that may be in the play in the office but I will comment on one thing. If you shout at me, I will shut you up, I don't care if you are Dangote.

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by rchilee: 7:58am On Dec 10, 2015
Why can't they use automated payment system from the comfort of their office? I know of GTBank GAPs , easy to use and you can program it.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by 2n2k(m): 8:14am On Dec 10, 2015
Melahou:

(1) ok i understand you very well,
am sure for the bank to have gone ahead to pay, the value on the
cheque does not necessarily have to be the same as the value on the salary schedule,
it will only cover a stated amount so that there`ll be enough money in the account so that the bank
will be able to pay

(2) for example...
if the amount on the salary schedule is 1 million Naira
and probably there is only 200,000 in the company`s account.
all you need to do is to write a cheque and make the bank the beneficiary so as to fund the account
"Pay ABC Bank Plc" the sum of 1.5 Million Naira
just to add up with what you have in the account so that the schedule can fly.

and not necessarily the same value on the salary schedule.

because of the relationship the bank may have with a company, most times
the bank can act with just a soft copy, while hard copy may likely be for formality sake or filing purpose.

This may really be more interesting sideline discussion than the original post though it will help the OP to know that the bank goofed.

(1) When a cheque is issued, it is the authority for payment. Schedule is not an authority for payment but a detail explanation of payments (e.g. Where you have multiple beneficiaries). A Schedule as a supporting document cannot override the original/main document which it supports. The bank must not exceed the amount stated on the cheque.

Note that the authority to pay and the schedule can be combined in a single paper. When you send a paper addressed to the bank which says "please pay the following persons with the amounts against their names and debit our account with you with the total sum of Nxxx" then you list the beneficiaries below, you have combined authority to pay (cheque) with schedule. This is the same as writing a single cheque and listing the beneficiaries at the back of the cheque just as you do if you want to obtain bank draft. The bank cannot and must not debit you with greater amount than the total that you have stated in the instruction part of the paper or on the face of the cheque. If the total of the schedule (beneficiaries) part contradicts that instruction part total, the bank will reject processing and will require you to rectify.

(2). In the second part of your post, you are mixing two separate transactions. Credits and Operations. A bank cannot honour your cheque beyond your account balance without prior financial accommodation arrangement which may be specific overdraft, bridge funding or just a commitment to honour payments up to certain limit. Whatever term is given to it, it is a credit facility for which you will pay interest and you must have firmed up that arrangement before ever being allowed to drawdown otherwise, it is a punishable unauthorized overdrawn account. This area is handled by the Credit department. When you want to drawdown and you issue payment instruction and schedule (either separately - cheque and schedule or combined - instruction at the top and beneficiaries below), it will be handled by the Operations department but instruction and schedule total must agree.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by WaffenSS(m): 9:11am On Dec 10, 2015
This story doesnt make sense. No bank would pay when the amount on the check is different from the schedule.

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by anyachostan: 9:41am On Dec 10, 2015
I work with Nigeria customs and this kind if things happens almost all the tym. I have received double my salary in a month a number of times and heads did not roll.bross just relax and apologize to them nd tell the mgt that it aint gonna happen again.
Gud luck.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 10, 2015
OP you were negligent and thus incompetent. I think the honourable thing to do is to resign. No hard feelings.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by deebrain(m): 10:48am On Dec 10, 2015
Chimaritoponcho:
pics or adonbilivit

There u have it

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Chimaritoponcho: 11:11am On Dec 10, 2015
deebrain:

There u have it
u sick bro
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Techangels: 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2015
Something is fishy here. As a former banker and still a banker, whoever is posting and authorising the transaction,
Must make sure the total amount on the schedule tallies with the amount in words and figures on the cheque.

Also both hard and soft copy of the schedule must be confirmed to be same.

So if you goofed by sending wrong soft copy of schedule then the bank also goofed.

If it was just done they can always remember verse the transactions back if not then you guys will have to make the
Amendments in next month's payment.

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by sayemma: 2:49pm On Dec 10, 2015
Is the pay structure different per month, or did they demote staff... the credit/debit difference Should not arise except if it is casualization where wages varies per month.

But in all case you can accept to pay the shortfall now and collect it back when the December payment is approved for those that were over credited
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Cutehector(m): 3:46pm On Dec 10, 2015
You are fired!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by friends4ever(m): 4:20am On Dec 11, 2015
You have accepted your mistake, but, it's not late to correct it. I tell you what, if i were you i would get an attorney tell him whatever document signed was under durex.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

14,000 Exxonmobil Staff To Lose Jobs Over Dwindling Oil Demand / Sergeant First Class Ifeanyi Rapu Honored In The US After Completing 3-Year Tour / Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.