Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,097 members, 7,807,284 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 (4591 Views)

Who Is Africas All Time Best Midfielder : Yaya Toure Or Jay Jay Okocha? / Sone Aluko - Should Be Our Attacking Midfielder In Brazil / 20 Years After: Remembering Muda Lawal, Nigeria’s All-time Best Midfielder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by Ibime(m): 11:03am On Jun 03, 2009
Please, we are not talking about Scummie pretenders like Carrick and Fletcher, we are only talking about the elite central midfielders in the country. Michael Essien is exempt cos of injury.

Premier League Goals:

Gerrard: 16
Lampard: 12
Barry: 5
Fabregas: 3
Alonso: 3

NB: Gerarrd scored 6 goals from penalties, Lampard scored 2.

Premier League Assists:

Lampard - 10
Gerrard - 9
Fabregas - 8
Barry - 7
Alonso - 6

Total Passes:

Alonso - 2,578
Lampard - 2,560
Gerrard - 1,930
Barry - 1,808
Fabregas - 1,788

NB: Fabregas missed 2 months of the season otherwise he would be higher up.

Key Passes:

Lampard - 124
Gerrard - 80
Fabregas - 63
Alonso - 62
Barry - 60

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1190455/Barry-bonanza-City-man-130k-week-Tevez-next.html
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by mykali(m): 2:29pm On Jun 03, 2009
Not to be bias minded. Its a tie between stevie and Frank. Liverpool came awake in the EPL this past season and Steve was a big part of that.
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by Sauron1: 5:01pm On Jun 03, 2009
Ibime:

Please, we are not talking about Scummie pretenders like Carrick and Fletcher, we are only talking about the elite central midfielders in the country. Michael Essien is exempt cos of injury.

The same elite central midfielders who cannot win a league title in the past 3 seasons?
Elite me ass. . . . . .We all know why the numbers are high for the shitty midfielders in Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.
While Ferguson deploys rotation to keep his squad fresh, Lampard and Gerrard play worthless games and when the big games come up on the table, they burn OUT thus losing needless points.

Y'all should keep racking up on OPTA STATS while United would keep winning the big prizes.
It's becoming embarrassing that Michael Carrick has won more league titles than Lampard and Gerrard put together. grin grin grin
Blimey. . . . . .even young Rafael has a league title to his name and elite central midfielders like Cesc and Barry has never experienced winning a league title. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by kaypumpin2(m): 5:17pm On Jun 03, 2009
Ibime:

grin grin grin

Back to the post

@Ibime

I think Stevie G played more as a supporting attacker than a midfielder this last season. :
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by Sauron1: 5:20pm On Jun 03, 2009
kay_pumpin:

I think Stevie G played more as a supporting attacker than a midfielder this last season. :

Ibime and his buncha poofs failed to realise that.
Gerrard didn't play as a midfielder throughout last season. He was a second striker in all the games he played.
Liverpool's midfielders last season were Lucas, Alonso and Mascherano.
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by Shyn: 12:03pm On Jun 04, 2009
Wat were d Bleep ass elites doing 2 allow 'pretenders' cme frm 15 positn n win d epl.I'd beta support a scummie pretenda dt can win trophies dan knw an elite who behaves and play like a div 3 amature playa in 9ja.Bleep'aly'elites.Kiss m'ass.Utd til I die.
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by tocdee(m): 7:14am On Jun 05, 2009
Shyn:

Wat were d Bleep ass elites doing 2 allow 'pretenders' cme frm 15 positn n win d epl.I'd beta support a scummie pretenda dt can win trophies dan knw an elite who behaves and play like a div 3 amature playa in 9ja.Bleep'aly'elites.Kiss m'ass.Utd til I die.

That argument is very poor because the thread's all about individual perfomance. Don't we all know Utd won the EPL? Unbiased opinion is too much to ask of you. you also seem to have more swear words than good English; but then you support United; typical.

~Sauron~:

While Ferguson deploys rotation to keep his squad fresh, Lampard and Gerrard play worthless games and when the big games come up on the table, they burn OUT thus losing needless points.

And I thought you slated Rafa last season for rotating. And yeah, Gerrard burnt United out at Old Trafford last season wink

~Sauron~:

It's becoming embarrassing that Michael Carrick has won more league titles than Lampard and Gerrard put together. grin grin grin
Blimey. . . . . .even young Rafael has a league title to his name and elite central midfielders like Cesc and Barry has never experienced winning a league title. grin grin grin grin grin

Carrick, Rafael, and co would line up to get either of Lampard or Gerrard's autograph! grin

George Weah won the Fifa World Player of the Year without ever playing in the World cup!

Players like Gerrard and Lampard would be remembered for generations to come around the world BUT I'm afraid Carrick shirts aren't even sold outside OT tongue As for Rafael, let's wait till the child grows some molars before meeting him.

United is built around their defence so when they are breached, its usually a riot on the field. See vs Fulham, Liverpool, Barca. smiley
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by cooljoe(m): 6:53pm On Jun 05, 2009
For me it's between Gerrard and Lampard, they both did well, but I'll go for Gerrard. In my opinion, he was the best player in the league before injury caught up with him.
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by Sauron1: 8:44pm On Jun 05, 2009
tocdee:

And I thought you slated Rafa last season for rotating. And yeah, Gerrard burnt United out at Old Trafford last season wink

But i thunk i told you Rafa is an idiot who should learn what to rotate!!!
Rotating players pose no threat but a manager must learn when and who to rotate.
Liverpool V West Brom. . . . .Rafa knows this team would come to Anfield and pack the bus and yet he would use his best defence unit.
What is he defending? This is where SAF excels cos he knows when Rafael and O'Shea should be the full-backs and when they don't have to play.

Carrick, Rafael, and co would line up to get either of Lampard or Gerrard's autograph! grin

Carrick and Rafael would line up to get Gerrard's autograph? Who is Gerrard?
What has he won that Carrick hasn't?? Has Gerrard won a league title? Has Lampard won the Champs League title?

George Weah won the Fifa World Player of the Year without ever playing in the World cup!

U don't have to play in the world cup to win FIFA World Player of the Year.
Gerrard has to win a league title to be considered a great player. . . . . How can a great player fail to win his own domestic league.
Stevie G is English and he cannot even win his league title. . . . .George Weah won Serie A, Carrick has won EPL 3 times, Lampard has won his league TWICE and Mr. Gerrard is still struggling to win a league title at 29. grin grin grin

Players like Gerrard and Lampard would be remembered for generations to come around the world BUT I'm afraid Carrick shirts aren't even sold outside OT tongue As for Rafael, let's wait till the child grows some molars before meeting him.

Nobody would remember Gerrard. . . . .
He has won nada for club and country. Apart from the Champions League they fluked to win in 2005, what has Gerrard really done for 'Pool?

United is built around their defence so when they are breached, its usually a riot on the field. See vs Fulham, Liverpool, Barca. smiley

United played 66 games last season losing only SIX!!!!!
I am happy with the riot on the field. Liverpool without their riot have failed to win a single title now for THREE SEASONS.
Are y'all Arsenal in disguise? grin
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by tocdee(m): 9:17pm On Jun 05, 2009
~Sauron~:

But i thunk i told you Rafa is an idiot who should learn what to rotate!!!
Rotating players pose no threat but a manager must learn when and who to rotate.
Liverpool V West Brom. . . . .Rafa knows this team would come to Anfield and pack the bus and yet he would use his best defence unit.
What is he defending? This is where SAF excels cos he knows when Rafael and O'Shea should be the full-backs and when they don't have to play.

That explains the Utd / Fulham game then, thanks. Really? Do you realize West Brom's game is an attacking one? They NEVER park the bus.

~Sauron~:

Who is Gerrard?
What has he won that Carrick hasn't??

Try the FA Cup, UEFA Cup, Euro Super Cup, MBE grin

~Sauron~:

Nobody would remember Gerrard. . . . .
He has won nada for club and country. Apart from the Champions League they fluked to win in 2005, what has Gerrard really done for 'Pool?

Gerrard's won EVERY club Domestic and Euro Title apart from the League Title. Name one current Utd player that has won anything with his country at senior level. We've got 5 at Liverpool. wink Even the Olympic games proved elusive!

Why don't you start a poll here to find out if Gerrard would be remembered in decades to come? Its easy. You can also put up Carrick's name too for contrast.
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by Sauron1: 9:32pm On Jun 05, 2009
tocdee:

That explains the Utd / Fulham game then, thanks. Really? Do you realize West Brom's game is an attacking one? They NEVER park the bus.

But SAF still won the league despite losing 3 points at Craven Cottage.
You don't even want to know United's stats concerning the lesser clubs.
Of the 72 points available playing against the last 12 teams in the Premiership, United took SEVENTY POINTS.
The only draw came against Newcastle(openind day of the season). . . .That was what gave United the push to win the league.

Try the FA Cup, UEFA Cup, Euro Super Cup, MBE grin

Shit titles. . . . .
The Premiership title is more important than all those worthless cups.

Gerrard's won EVERY Domestic and Euro Title apart from the League Title. Name one current Utd player that has won anything with his country at senior level. We've got 5 at Liverpool. wink Even the Olympic games proved elusive!

The league title is more important. . . . . .Until he wins it, he would fade into oblivion like Danny Murphy!!

Why don't you start a poll here to find out if Gerrard would be remembered in decades to come?
Its easy. You can also put up Carrick's name too for contrast.

So it's Nigerians that are going to decide who would be remember in decades to come? grin grin grin grin
Go and find something to do, mate!!!
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by tocdee(m): 9:47pm On Jun 05, 2009
Its funny how you avoid the topic and my questions, cover your mistakes and sing the same Premier Title song over and over again. If you don't feel Nigerians have a say on who gets remembered, then you should spend more time on Red Cafe. As it is, I really can't spend more time here as your presence has a strange fouling effect tongue
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by Sauron1: 10:03pm On Jun 05, 2009
tocdee:

Its funny how you avoid the topic and my questions, cover your mistakes and sing the same Premier Title song over and over again. If you don't feel Nigerians have a say on who gets remembered, then you should spend more time on Red Cafe. As it is, I really can't spend more time here as your presence has a strange fouling effect tongue

You are a miserable sod.

Go and play with yourself with sticky fingerz.
Anuofia!!
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by yousouph(m): 10:17pm On Jun 05, 2009
@ topic. Lampard is da best out of the pack. Without a biased mind of the club u crave for, to say Carrick will be remembered more in decades to come than Gerard because of not winning EPL in complete shyte.
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by Krayola(m): 3:22am On Jun 06, 2009
@ Sauron . . .it gets frustrating when you turn every single debate into a Man Utd commercial. Get over yourselves. . .we all know you did very well.
Re: Best Midfielder In The Epl? Opta Stats From 2008/2009 by Krayola(m): 3:25am On Jun 06, 2009
haha. . but then the OP did take cheap shots at Carrick and Fletcher so its all good

(1) (Reply)

Arsenal Fc Wonder Boy Commits Future To Nigeria: / Apply To Become 1960BET Agent - Sports - / France(3) vs Spain(1): World Cup 2006 Second Round

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.