Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,752 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

Things To Work On Before Graduation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Things To Work On Before Graduation (19242 Views)

Lady Who Turned A Stripper To Pay Her School Fees Celebrates Graduation (Photos) / 5 Ways Students Can Gain Work Experience Before Graduation - Dailystudentinfo / University Of Agriculture Students Must Have A Farm Before Graduation —FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Work On Before Graduation by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 11, 2015
Things to work on before graduation

1. Spoken english

It is so sad that majority of Nigerian students in tertiary institutions don't bother about polishing their spoken and written english. Some graduates speak english worse than a toddler, making one wonder what they spent 16yrs doing in school. You hear them spew gabbage like "he come and slap me and I come and beat him". If you speak such english to an interviewer, even with first class clearly written on your CV, he will probably think you runzed your way through school. The use of words like yeah, goddamn, omo, sh*t, f**k etc should be stopped cos they don't portray you as a decent person.

2. Mode of dressing

Looking fly on campus was one of the things I enjoyed during my undergraduate days. It was fun cos you had so much of the opposite sex around to admire you. The moment I graduated, my orientation changed. Not that a graduate should stop wearing denims and sneakers, but sagging and putting on studs with crazy hairstyle should come to a stop if such a person wants to fit into the corporate world. In the corporate world, you get to mingle with matured or married men with enough decency. Sagging in their midst will make you look kiddo. Just cos your favourite musician davido sags his trousers doesn't mean you should do thesame. He gets paid to do that while you could get fired for doing thesame.

3. Spendthrift attitude

The first time I heard someone say his salary is 70k, I hissed and mocked him in my mind cos that was thesame amount we students spent on phones just to oppress each other. Now I've seen people earning less than 45k even with years of experience. What kind of person do you think you'll turn out to be when all you want is the latest expensive gadgets? In the real world, no one cares about the kind of phone you use. Even on naija campus these days, girls have stopped falling for a guy because of the phone he uses, they now trip for flashy cars. So, before you spend that huge amount on a phone, ask yourself this question: "is it going to improve my standard of living?". I didn't know I could turn my smart phone to a mini laptop with WPS, Excel etc until I got employed. My phone was all about bbm, whatsapp and facebook. I now saw the full potential of the phone. You need to cut down on your spendings. Also, get the idea of clubbing off your mind or it might ruin your pockets. The money saved from disciplining yourself can be used to start something great. Use your head.

4. Laziness

You remember how you use to complain about the large notebooks you have to read for exams? If you lack a good reading culture, it is certain you will be bereft of ideas to contribute to a company's growth. You are always seen reading gossip blogs where you are updated with the lifestyle of celebrities but lack the idea of what the top 20 questions interviewers ask. Scaling through campus days as a lazy person doesn't mean such is likely to continue in the real world. Carrying on with laziness is what leads to prostitution, where a lady feels she can use her body to fetch her daily bread instead of her brain, or where a guy still expects his uncle to be the one to help him achieve his targets even after getting him a job through nepotism. You get to wonder why they spent 16yrs developing their brain in school.

5. Pride

I remember when I was in my final year at school, I was always happy about what the future held for me. I knew I was going to get a job that pays 350k immediately I graduated. Reality slapped me in the face when my first offer was a job paying 30k. I had no choice but to take the offer cos I was already tired of adding more months to the six months I had spent at home just sleeping. Luckily for me, that job paved the way for a better one cos it gave me the needed experience recruiters want to see on a CV. I've now realise that 350k is only feasible for those in the oil sector and those with huge years of experience, not a fresh graduate who doesn't know his left from his right. As you are about graduating, never see any job as demeaning. Take it up while you continue searching for a better one. This gives you experience. A bird in hand is better than a million in the bush. Remember, you are a nobody and no one gives a damn about you out there. So, drop your pride and use your head and hands or end up spending years still eating your mum's food with insults.

Written by Adewole Segun

http://lifestyletonight..co.ke/2015/12/things-to-work-on-before-graduation.html?m=0

79 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by perloomey(m): 1:34pm On Dec 11, 2015
Nice write up

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by HonourablePomk: 4:01pm On Dec 11, 2015
Lalasticlala this is educative

3 Likes

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by benedictnsi(m): 4:20pm On Dec 11, 2015
The Op is really a BloodyBLOGGER grin

This is a nice work.... But i think you should include

1. BOLDNESS
2. RESPECT
3. TIME USAGE

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by Tonnniey: 4:20pm On Dec 11, 2015
This is educative and worth putting to practise

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by Hysmady(m): 4:20pm On Dec 11, 2015
Digested...

2 Likes

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by lasisi69(f): 4:20pm On Dec 11, 2015
End time graduation

5 Likes

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by damton(m): 4:21pm On Dec 11, 2015
Good write up.

2 Likes

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by Nobody: 4:21pm On Dec 11, 2015
Nice post. Just a few comments and additions .

1. Good English is learnt in primary school. You can try brush it up in uni, but it's usually not as sterling.
It is very embarrassing attending a job interview with poor grammar.

2. Self esteem and confidence is something you should learn before leaving school. It is one of things that employers look out for and would even help you if you own your business. You need to show confidence before people buy your "something"

3. Leadership skills: while you're in school and no one is watching, pick up a small leadership role at least. Helps with people management skills in future. Head a group, participate in student politics with sense.

Lastly, it won't be a bad idea to get into one or two relationships. Get a grip of your emotional life else, you start work and one heartbreak, you're calling in sick for two weeks. "

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by ShakurM(m): 4:21pm On Dec 11, 2015
Worked on it before convocation sef cool

2 Likes

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by Nobody: 4:21pm On Dec 11, 2015
Teamwork
Ability to Research

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by LesbianBoy(m): 4:22pm On Dec 11, 2015
Nice one
Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by Ewizard(m): 4:23pm On Dec 11, 2015
Cool..
Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by gistmeloveblog: 4:23pm On Dec 11, 2015
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by gistmeloveblog: 4:24pm On Dec 11, 2015
lasisi69:
End time graduation

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by VickyRotex(f): 4:24pm On Dec 11, 2015
Beautiful piece!
Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by 4kinyourgrammar: 4:25pm On Dec 11, 2015
ShakurM:
Worked on it before convocation sef cool

work*
Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by lasisi69(f): 4:25pm On Dec 11, 2015
[quote author=gistmeloveblog post=40910121][/quote]k

1 Like

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by ShakurM(m): 4:27pm On Dec 11, 2015
4kinyourgrammar:

work*
see mumu, read it again but this time carefully angry

4 Likes

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by Tobilastik(m): 4:27pm On Dec 11, 2015
End time advise
Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by Horlawale1(m): 4:27pm On Dec 11, 2015
Nice one bro.
Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by Gerrard59(m): 4:30pm On Dec 11, 2015
Recently I was discussing with my co-tenant about school and career aspirations. He "vomited" that he wouldn't accept any job below 200K per month. I laughed that day; considering that it came from someone who is not interested in graduating with a First Class.

Speaking eloquently should be drummed into the brains of those students that keep whining that English isn't their mother language, as if they were taught using pidgin.

Concerning your point of one being imprudent; I don't see anything wrong in spending money on QUALITY products. Good things/items don't come cheap.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 11, 2015
Nice one OP, it's a pity that students are not ready to learn what it takes to survive post-university life..

Next please.....
Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by Nobody: 4:33pm On Dec 11, 2015
Gerrard59:
Recently I was discussing with my co-tenant about school and career aspirations. He "vomited" that he wouldn't accept any job below 200K per month. I laughed that day; considering that it came from someone who is not interested in graduating with a First Class.
Lolzz, two of my friends said they can't accept anything lower than 250K.
I just stared at them and wonder if they're conversant about the labour market.
Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by Nobody: 4:33pm On Dec 11, 2015
ikeola6:
Lolzz, two of my friends said they can't accept anything lower than 250K.
I just stared at them and wondered if they're conversant about the labour market.
Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by PHATE007(f): 4:33pm On Dec 11, 2015
*drags OP back to post*
Those of us when don graduate nkor?

2 Likes

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by coolshegs10(m): 4:34pm On Dec 11, 2015
Wow! What an encouraging write up,will start working on these.
Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by adeyak83(m): 4:34pm On Dec 11, 2015
Better than tonto dike, mercy johnson stuffs. OP YES you are communicating.
Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by DoTheNeedful: 4:35pm On Dec 11, 2015
[quote author=bloodyBLOGGER post=40904495]Things to work on before graduation

5. Pride

I remember when I was in my final year at school, I was always happy about what the future held for me. I knew I was going to get a job that pays 350k immediately I graduated. Reality slapped me in the face when my first offer was a job paying 30k. I had no choice but to take the offer cos I was already tired of adding more months to the six months I had spent at home just sleeping. Luckily for me, that job paved the way for a better one cos it gave me the needed experience recruiters want to see on a CV. I've now realise that 350k is only feasible for those in the oil sector and those with huge years of experience, not a fresh graduate who doesn't know his left from his right. As you are about graduating, never see any job as demeaning. Take it up while you continue searching for a better one. This gives you experience. A bird in hand is better than a million in the bush. Remember, you are a nobody and no one gives a damn about you out there. So, drop your pride and use your head and hands or end up spending years still eating your mum's food with insults.

Written by Adewole Segun

This point is very true. Many fresh graduates want jobs that will pay them 300k just after NYSC. While its good to dream and truthfully there are companies that pay as much or even more for fresh blood,MOST of them will not get it. Fact! I doubt if there are up to 2000 of such opportunities in the country as against the tens of thousands of smart graduates with 2.1 minimum.
I was a victim of such ego-inspired expectation and I wont advise any of my younger ones to do same. The best bet after NYSC is to try and develop yourself,network,aggressively seek opportunities both within and outside the country,give your best in what you do and keep a reasonable ego.
There is also no crime in starting little. Graduate with good grades should note what is above. Experience is also showing that some of the graduates with 2.2 do better than many graduates with better grades overtime.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by Nobody: 4:38pm On Dec 11, 2015
Tobilastik:
End time advise
mumu
Re: Things To Work On Before Graduation by Donpressman(m): 4:41pm On Dec 11, 2015
Buti why embarassed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Simple And Interesting Riddles You Are Likely To Get Wrong / JAMB Releases Mock Results / Mopileola Tomi Adewumi Graduates From Oklahoma State University In America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.