Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,517 members, 7,801,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:34 PM

Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? (15664 Views)

Some Employers Are Just Harsh / Common Reasons Why Most Job Seekers Never Get Invited For Interviews / Can Any Two Persons Fit Into This Description? Some Employers Sha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by mailas(f): 9:44pm On Dec 11, 2015
op...honestly see ehmm...next time you go for an interview don't point out their wrongs like you did
na who dey beg I'm hand dey long pass
just say everything good about the company so you can land yourself a job rather than doing over sabi houseman

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by tbaby4u(f): 9:45pm On Dec 11, 2015
YesIam:

My sister I need help oh, if you can help me.

Why not try teaching? Check schools around ur vicinity
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by lonelydora: 10:21pm On Dec 11, 2015
innoxblaze:

if you are really fedup then create one

I don't really understand this.
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Dec 11, 2015
to be honest I feel your treatment is related to the role they are interviewing you for . I had an interview @ d HQ of a partcular bank for operations unit sha and from the gate we were ushered into a room not too expansive yet had 3 Gud split units! they repeatedly came to apologise to us for the delays. in beginning the process.
our handler was very polite and jovial , and after an hour of waiting one of their messangers came in with sweet sensation double burgers(can't remember d actual name). and hollandia yoghurt ! some people were forming others chow d thing after 2 more hours the interview commenced.
then I went for an interview at an insurance firm (run by a first generation bank). didn't know financial adviser is same thing as marketer lol and we were there 4 hours no pure water. I scanned the hall we were all cramped into smiled and took my leave .

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by prejulsuc(f): 10:22pm On Dec 11, 2015
UdohOby:
It's quite unfortunate that graduates are treated like that in this country. Mine was that we were left out in the rain for over 30mins, and after we struggled to get in, I was interviewed by some minutes before 4pm, an interview I left my house before 7am to attend.

I do hope they call you. God dey sha.
It is really sad after going through stress to graduate from naija university, only for one to be face with job palaver.I believed things will get better next year.Buhari our able president u must do something concerning this job palaver in Nigerian.
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 11, 2015
Datevilme:
So, i was somewhere in Abuja for an interview yesterday. I was actually scheduled for 10am, i got there at about 9:45am, unfortunately i, and other candidates were made to wait outside under the sun, no seats whatsoever, we were just standing for many hours, before we were finally attended to.

Its really a pity that companies who flaunt themselves as topnotch in the country cannot properly carry out an organized interview exercise. Its high time employers in the country stop treating graduates as if they are begging for jobs, we went through school, and we earned our degrees, we deserve more respect than is being accorded us. Must you be employed? Your employers aren't they human? Oh plss, the treat you that way because they are giving you a life you cant afford to build from scratch so you should be greatful.

Anyways, when i finally got seated for my interview, and they asked me what i could offer the company, i made sure i pointed out the fact that their organization for the interview was poor, and i could do a better job. They promply told me "We will get back to you"... i hope they do cry cry cry.
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Datevilme: 11:11pm On Dec 11, 2015
Bitterleafsoup:
So many candiates come in and act mumu don't blame us.

You will come for interview in a professional office with slippers, jeans and t-shirt...
You will come in breath smelling like dry fish and egusi....
You will come in with stained and dirty CV...
You will come in without your certificates and letter of refrences...
You will come in and not greet people, as if you had no upbringing...

If you would have answer me that way I wouold have called security, so your lucky!
For real? So because some pple didn't package well, does that mean u should treat the rest anyhow? And what's ur basis for calling security? U need to change the way u think.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Datevilme: 11:15pm On Dec 11, 2015
WarRLaY:
Op, want to be treated like a king, that cool,.. you should have created a job 4 ur self .. remember no 1 promise you a job after school, u were only sent there to be educated ...
Change ur thinking. So providing something as basic as seats and shelter for candidates is being treat like a king? Smh for u.
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Datevilme: 11:19pm On Dec 11, 2015
damton:
You are hungry and in need of a source of income .

inotherwords, a job seeker is more or less at the mercy of any recruiting organization
Ideally it shouldn't be so. Am not hungry, am not begging for a job, I saw a job I was qualified for and applied for it, simple.
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Datevilme: 11:21pm On Dec 11, 2015
Cutehector:
pls send me ur account number, u deserve a bottle of wine for dat answer to their question
Tnks grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by nkemjacob2(m): 11:25pm On Dec 11, 2015
Is because their re no jobs dats y they treat candidate like that. Is beta u start something doing than to receive un planned insult from this employers
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by mandonnels(m): 11:35pm On Dec 11, 2015
YesIam:
grin

If you no fit wait, dey go house.

That's what one gate man at Trans Amadi told me.

After waiting from 9am to 2pm.

I was hungry and couldn't even go out to eat, I didn't want to be the unwise virgin who didn't come with oil in her lamp.

I didn't eat the previous day because the interview didn't give me space for an appetite.

After waiting till 4:15, Secretary came out and said. "You guys are still here? Oga has travelled oh, so its till next week or whenever we send you a message, I thought I told you guys, Na una know sha"

About 17 of us in suits and oily faces due to the sun and the stress.

All my crammed 'Interview-English' faded away and I found myself stammering.
I stood up, and trekked home. Not because I didn't have transport fare, but because it was an opportunity to think about my life.
ph?
trans amadi?
the companies der r not just friendly. simple truth
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by mandonnels(m): 11:36pm On Dec 11, 2015
Alanjeffy:

My bro. its worse here in ph oooo... they will treat yu as if ur not from a home,and nothing comes out at d end of d day.

The last thing I can ever do in my life again is walking under d hot sun submitting my CV randomly,nowadays I check out jobs like a big boy (not DAT am being so proud) cos I v suffered a lot.. I can only submit my CV on request by someone that can help..
companies will know they only need 2 persons here in pH to fill. vacancy Buh they will go ahead n invite 100 persons for interview.. they don't even care where ur coming from or if u v d tfare at all.. I better continue managing d little job that seems like hell am doing now than getting myself into those unpleasant search conditions
one bottle of Origin for u.
u nailed it.
dats PH for u
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Datevilme: 11:42pm On Dec 11, 2015
Ethan015:
They didn't treat u well from your story.
but I feel you over reacted. it's usually not a fun for any company to organise recruitment exercise. Telling them you can organise a better interview is a mockery to those guys screening you. Perhaps, they were equally employed to bring u in. I bet you just dashed the opportunity. It's true you ain't begging no one for any job, but how much you can tolerate is an advantage. This is Naija, civilization is still far.

Sorry for the way they made you feel anyway.
Good luck
I know I wasn't supposed to answer the way I did, but to an extent I had lost interest in the job due to some factors, so I just decided to wait and give them a piece of my mind, they were actually receptive, and I left on a good note.
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by mikolo80: 11:48pm On Dec 11, 2015
Datevilme:
So, i was somewhere in Abuja for an interview yesterday. I was actually scheduled for 10am, i got there at about 9:45am, unfortunately i, and other candidates were made to wait outside under the sun, no seats whatsoever, we were just standing for many hours, before we were finally attended to.

Its really a pity that companies who flaunt themselves as topnotch in the country cannot properly carry out an organized interview exercise. Its high time employers in the country stop treating graduates as if they are begging for jobs, we went through school, and we earned our degrees, we deserve more respect than is being accorded us.

Anyways, when i finally got seated for my interview, and they asked me what i could offer the company, i made sure i pointed out the fact that their organization for the interview was poor, and i could do a better job. They promply told me "We will get back to you"... i hope they do cry cry cry.
Cos you're not needed (low demand) you're too many (high supply) so your price(value) is low(not worth very much)
abi don't you see the way ppl treat 10and20Naira versus 100dollar bill

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Datevilme: 11:52pm On Dec 11, 2015
mikolo80:
Cos you're not needed (low demand) you're too many (high supply) so your price(value) is low(not worth very much)
abi don't you see the way ppl treat 10and20Naira versus 100dollar bill
Couldn't have been better said, that's just the hard truth.
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Datevilme: 11:52pm On Dec 11, 2015
skidskid:
to be honest I feel your treatment is related to the role they are interviewing you for . I had an interview @ d HQ of a partcular bank for operations unit sha and from the gate we were ushered into a room not too expansive yet had 3 Gud split units! they repeatedly came to apologise to us for the delays. in beginning the process.
our handler was very polite and jovial , and after an hour of waiting one of their messangers came in with sweet sensation double burgers(can't remember d actual name). and hollandia yoghurt ! some people were forming others chow d thing after 2 more hours the interview commenced.
then I went for an interview at an insurance firm (run by a first generation bank). didn't know financial adviser is same thing as marketer lol and we were there 4 hours no pure water. I scanned the hall we were all cramped into smiled and took my leave .
To an extent I agree with u. I have been to several interviews, I know sometimes they try to test ur endurance, patience and all that, but this one was purely a case of poor organization.
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by evag(m): 6:46am On Dec 12, 2015
For such companies to stop this treatments given to applicants... we need to be more creative in starting small business ventures that can boost our financial status and economy, because some of these companies always feel that there are more candidates out there, so they can hire, treat and sack anyone as they so wish.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Nobody: 7:18am On Dec 12, 2015
YesIam:

My brother, I dun suffer, can you hook me up no matter how small?

just send me whatsapp message on 07033033101
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Nobody: 7:23am On Dec 12, 2015
mandonnels:

one bottle of Origin for u.
u nailed it.
dats PH for u

Lol. how do yu know I like origin bro?? though I v stopped taking that just to save up some dough n start up a biz n quit d thrash known as private work.. it sucks.
uptil now,no November salary yet n d stupid man ain't planing to pay December own till 3rd week of Jan Buh I always tell them that once u keep spending money being work out for u without paying ya workers,yu will keep having bigger problems x20..
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Nobody: 7:58am On Dec 12, 2015
You've been fired before getting the job.

Datevilme:

Its really a pity that companies who flaunt themselves as topnotch in the country cannot properly carry out an organized interview exercise. Its high time employers in the country stop treating graduates as if they are begging for jobs, we went through school, and we earned our degrees, we deserve more respect than is being accorded us.

Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by charlesucheh(m): 8:09am On Dec 12, 2015
Why not? They definitely would get back to you......that's after you start seeing your great grand children....
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by charlesucheh(m): 8:13am On Dec 12, 2015
So you made the Human Resource team/head know that you can deliver his/their duties better abi? ISSORITE!
They'll definitely get back to you...
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by seemples(f): 8:37am On Dec 12, 2015

Bad reply... thats not diplomacy since the organizer of the interview is most likely among the interviewers. Those running the company have egos and you basically insulted that by the statement. It could come off as "if we employ this one, she would be rebellious".... Incase of next time, try diplomacy and flattery if possible. i wish you luck on this though.

Absolutely correct!
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by mandonnels(m): 9:33am On Dec 12, 2015
Alanjeffy:

Lol. how do yu know I like origin bro?? though I v stopped taking that just to save up some dough n start up a biz n quit d thrash known as private work.. it sucks.
uptil now,no November salary yet n d stupid man ain't planing to pay December own till 3rd week of Jan Buh I always tell them that once u keep spending money being work out for u without paying ya workers,yu will keep having bigger problems x20..
that's naija for u
wer der treat deir workers like trash
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by 01Jman: 10:20am On Dec 12, 2015
afolayangs:
Mine was 9am and got interviewed by 5pm. They paid for my flight ticket sha and one night hotel room and i finally got the job.

lesson learnt: the timing should not discourage us but they should provide a conducive environment.

It is well with all of us
pls which organization is that. Will like to apply there too
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Craven: 11:21am On Dec 12, 2015
kiddkash:
because they can

Anyone can treat anyone like trash. And it does not mean it's right. When you give employees or even people the right to think they can treat you in whatever way they please, then they will surely treat you that way. So this 'because they can' mentality that you have needs to stop.
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Craven: 11:36am On Dec 12, 2015

Bad reply... thats not diplomacy since the organizer of the interview is most likely among the interviewers. Those running the company have egos and you basically insulted that by the statement. It could come off as "if we employ this one, she would be rebellious".... Incase of next time, try diplomacy and flattery if possible. i wish you luck on this though.

It was not a bad reply. I think it was perfect. If he hadn't let them know, their opinion of him would have been "Yes, we have ourselves a willing slave here, eager to accept whatever nonsense we throw at him without protest." And they will treat him accordingly if he had gotten the job.

You said most companies have egos. Well people have egos too. Why should you lose your dignity in a bid to flatter people that disrespect you? If these employers treat applicants this way, how do you think they treat their staffs? Why do you think it would have been right to treat the interviewers (who treated their applicants like dirt) like they lay golden eggs? Please!

If you feel you have been disrespected, tell that person off right there and then. Keeping quiet would only mean you are looking forward to more disrespect. Because you are seeking for a job does not mean you should lose your dignity.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Craven: 12:01pm On Dec 12, 2015
Datevilme

The answer to your question is on this thread, hidden in the comments of people who feel companies have every right to treat people like dirt.

I've seen people give answers like "Because they can," "Because you are begging for a job," "Because this is Nigeria."

And I disagree with all of them.

1. Because they 'can' do so does not mean they 'should' do so. Because they are in such a high place does not mean they should treat prospective employees like dirt.

2. The words 'seeking' is quite different from 'begging'. I've seen someone use the latter on this thread. Do not let anyone make you feel you are 'begging' for a job. Companies put up vacancies all the time, looking for graduates to fill up positions. And because you applied doesn't mean you've relegated to begging. And even if you didn't apply the conventional way, it doesn't still give anyone the right to disrespect you or claim you are 'begging'.

3. Because it happens in Nigeria doesn't also mean it must continue to happen. I believe change starts with us all. It was brave of you to tell the interviewers that you didn't like staying under the sun. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. In fact anyone who tells you that it was wrong for you to stand up to these people do not know or understand their worth. Keeping quiet would have meant you telling those people "I am happy to be your slave, and I will go through whatever hell you bring my way without protest." And believe this, you would have a horrible time working for a company who treats people like dirt.

If applicants raise their standards, I believe employers will treat them accordingly. But if they continue to lower their standards, giving ridiculous excuses why companies should continue to treat them wrongly, then I believe these companies will continue to do so with pleasure.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Datevilme: 3:03pm On Dec 12, 2015
Craven:
Datevilme

The answer to your question is on this thread, hidden in the comments of people who feel companies have every right to treat people like dirt.

I've seen people give answers like "Because they can," "Because you are begging for a job," "Because this is Nigeria."

And I disagree with all of them.

1. Because they 'can' do so does not mean they 'should' do so. Because they are in such a high place does not mean they should treat prospective employees like dirt.

2. The words 'seeking' is quite different from 'begging'. I've seen someone use the latter on this thread. Do not let anyone make you feel you are 'begging' for a job. Companies put up vacancies all the time, looking for graduates to fill up positions. And because you applied doesn't mean you've relegated to begging. And even if you didn't apply the conventional way, it doesn't still give anyone the right to disrespect you or claim you are 'begging'.

3. Because it happens in Nigeria doesn't also mean it must continue to happen. I believe change starts with us all. It was brave of you to tell the interviewers that you didn't like staying under the sun. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. In fact anyone who tells you that it was wrong for you to stand up to these people do not know or understand their worth. Keeping quiet would have meant you telling those people "I am happy to be your slave, and I will go through whatever hell you bring my way without protest." And believe this, you would have a horrible time working for a company who treats people like dirt.

If applicants raise their standards, I believe employers will treat them accordingly. But if they continue to lower their standards, giving ridiculous excuses why companies should continue to treat them wrongly, then I believe these companies will continue to do so with pleasure.
Tnks for this post, I just wish more people can begin to see things this way, it will surely bring about change. Cheers.
Re: Why Do Some Employers Treat Candidates For Interviews Like Thrash? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 12, 2015
Lastanza:

Look at how u ar emberassing d nation in public. People like you ar d educated illiterate we ar talking about. Dat u ar looking 4 work doesn't mean u ar begging 4 wrk. Can dangote handle his business alone.

As human u cannot provide all u need hence d need to complement each other. Itz only in Nigeria dat employers think they ar doin pipl a favor by employing dem. Have u seen where employers beg pipl to wrk for dem evn wit dia money?.Datz d power of expertise, therefore nature demands dat employesr need employees as much as employees need employers.

Trash

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Unemployment: Categories Of Unemployed Youths Or People In Nigeria / 12 Common Job Interview Mistakes You Should Avoid / See The Viral CV That Captured The Attention Of A Big CEO In A Tech Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.