Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,752 members, 7,802,304 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) (5391 Views)

Lagos To Introduce New Number Plates, Uniforms For Drivers, Conductors / How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! / Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by MrTour: 10:04pm On Dec 15, 2015
These craters will surely cause more than leg pull for most cars.

There is a 1.8L turbo, i will upload more pics when i gt it back from servicing. Mine is petrol and i'm sure there are diesel turbo too.

I have a pic of the front rear.

nurey:

Oblo has shown you what a crater could look like, but Nigerian road craters are very deadly, I have experienced one and the way they bend rims and burst tyre is deadly. If one is extremely unlucky, you could loss a whole leg (identical to honda leg pull) or destroy your oil pan or something delicate underneath the car.

But I have a question to ask, the only Avensis that is turbo charged is the 2.2 D4D model as in a turbo charged diesel engine. So I haven't seen a 1.8L turbo charged version, so what engine variant are you using and a pix of the trophy Racer would be nice.

Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:46pm On Dec 15, 2015
First timer please get an experienced driver to drive that vehicle to the village, you can sit in front and learn the ropes, then drive back.

1 Like

Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by oblo(m): 2:12am On Dec 16, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
First timer please get an experienced driver to drive that vehicle to the village, you can sit in front and learn the ropes, then drive back.

grin grin > not a bad suggestion.... cheesy

That road/route no be mai mai lipsrsealed

Mr Tour experienced drivers abound...if you eventually heed to Gazzuz. grin
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by nurey(m): 6:31am On Dec 16, 2015
MrTour:
These craters will surely cause more than leg pull for most cars.

There is a 1.8L turbo, i will upload more pics when i gt it back from servicing. Mine is petrol and i'm sure there are diesel turbo too.

I have a pic of the front rear.

This is a 1997-2003 avensis and the only turbo version is a 2.0 Diesel engine, the other engine variants were non turbo. But I could be wrong, a pix of the engine and the turbo on the gear lever will let me know.

But my mind tells me you are confusing VVTI and the O/D button on the gear lever as turbo and turbo button respectively.
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by bravolad(m): 7:24am On Dec 16, 2015
Driving from Lagos to Enugu should not be a major problem if he has been driving in the city & has a firm control of steering albeit basic understanding of highway codes/driving rules, though our roads are not marked. Driving a long distance is a psychological thing dealing with your state of mind. Most times, inner fear is a major challenge that inhibits people from embarking on such journey.

There's always a one time to conquer that fear & hold the bull by the horn. The best way to drive on a route you are not familiar with is to leave early, (definition of early is relative) maintain a constant speed of 100/h or below. At this speed, you are likely to handle any situation. Have a friend who also drives well in the front seat & you should be ok. It's a pretty straight forward journey but where in doubt or confused, ask for direction.

On no occasion should you engage other drivers in competition or struggle over a lane because you feel it's your right of way; avoid all manner of contention and rivalry & veer off your lane when another driver seems to dominate. Keep your focus, use your mirrors and I think you will be fine.

Just an observation; the size of your engine does not necessarily matter as your are not engaged on drag race, even with a 1.4 litre engine, you are just fine.

Safe journey when you decide to leave.

2 Likes

Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by inze(m): 7:54am On Dec 16, 2015
. . . Chai @nurey, that's evil!!! O/D button = turbo button
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by TCD: 8:05am On Dec 16, 2015
If you are using Android phone please download Nokia Here Maps in play store. it has free Nigeria map and navigation and it's fairly accurate. you can use it to plan your route and gives voice guided navigation so you wouldn't miss your way.

I myself will be driving from Calabar to Lagos through the ugep- afikpo- onitsha route which I'm not too familiar with. I hope I Don't get lost.
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by MPVGoddess: 8:38am On Dec 16, 2015
TCD:
If you are using Android phone please download Nokia Here Maps in play store. it has free Nigeria map and navigation and it's fairly accurate. you can use it to plan your route and gives voice guided navigation so you wouldn't miss your way.

I myself will be driving from Calabar to Lagos through the ugep- afikpo- onitsha route which I'm not too familiar with. I hope I Don't get lost.

I have noticed it keeps directing me to take side streets instead of "the express way" when I once traveled from from Benin to Abuja around the ekpoma axis,

I just did it to test its accuracy, not that I didn't know my way smiley

Other than that its indeed very accurate
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by Dexmars(m): 8:56am On Dec 16, 2015
@ Poster

It's not a big deal.
Trust your car, trust yourself, trust your God.

I drove myself alone from the same festac to owerri.

Car model : Camry 2014 xle.
Engine : 4 cylinders
Tyres: new
Brake pads: new

Potholes just after shagamu will really test your reflexes and mental alertness. (Slow and steady)
Make sure your custom papers are genuine. (Ore customs)
Have water by your side
Dress in something comfortable
Buy hot akara at the Onitsha bridge (nice local taste)

Departure time: 4:30am (my friends where just coming back from the club....though I think that was too early)
Arrival time: 10:15 am (could not go to villa.... too early.....stopped at ph road....point and kill chicken)

1 Like

Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by MrTour: 10:39am On Dec 16, 2015
Very useful tips, thanks grin

bravolad:
Driving from Lagos to Enugu should not be a major problem if he has been driving in the city & has a firm control of steering albeit basic understanding of highway codes/driving rules, though our roads are not marked. Driving a long distance is a psychological thing dealing with your state of mind. Most times, inner fear is a major challenge that inhibits people from embarking on such journey.

There's always a one time to conquer that fear & hold the bull by the horn. The best way to drive on a route you are not familiar with is to leave early, (definition of early is relative) maintain a constant speed of 100/h or below. At this speed, you are likely to handle any situation. Have a friend who also drives well in the front seat & you should be ok. It's a pretty straight forward journey but where in doubt or confused, ask for direction.

On no occasion should you engage other drivers in competition or struggle over a lane because you feel it's your right of way; avoid all manner of contention and rivalry & veer off your lane when another driver seems to dominate. Keep your focus, use your mirrors and I think you will be fine.

Just an observation; the size of your engine does not necessarily matter as your are not engaged on drag race, even with a 1.4 litre engine, you are just fine.

Safe journey when you decide to leave.
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by inze(m): 10:39am On Dec 16, 2015
Dexmars:
@ Poster
It's not a big deal.
Potholes just after shagamu will really test your reflexes and mental alertness. (Slow and steady)
Have water by your side
Departure time: 4:30am (my friends where just coming back from the club....though I think that was too early)
Arrival time: 10:15 am (could not go to villa.... too early.....stopped at ph road....point and kill chicken)

. . . that's 'Good morning Lagos, Good morning Onitsha'

1 Like

Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by MrTour: 10:42am On Dec 16, 2015
I will surely download the map, many thanks.

TCD:

Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by MrTour: 10:48am On Dec 16, 2015
lol, i can't wait to taste that Akara. You mentioned customs, they stop and check for documentation, any other officials likely to stop me and cause delay?

Wow you departed quite early 4:30 and completed your journey quite early.

Secondly, i guess a full tank can take me through the journey as i wouldn't want to spend time waiting in the middle of bush queuing up to buy fuel thereby losing travel time. And as i am en-route for a trophy time is of essence 007 style cheesy

Thanks for your contributions.

Dexmars:
@ Poster

It's not a big deal.

Have water by your side

Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by chillex8(m): 11:29am On Dec 16, 2015
MrTour:
lol, i can't wait to taste that Akara. You mentioned customs, they stop and check for documentation, any other officials likely to stop me and cause delay?

Wow you departed quite early 4:30 and completed your journey quite early.

Secondly, i guess a full tank can take me through the journey as i wouldn't want to spend time waiting in the middle of bush queuing up to buy fuel thereby losing travel time. And as i am en-route for a trophy time is of essence 007 style cheesy

Thanks for your contributions.

Are you going to pick a bride

This trophy you are craving for tho
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by Dexmars(m): 12:58pm On Dec 16, 2015
inze:

. . . that's 'Good morning Lagos, Good morning Onitsha'

Yes oh!

I left lagos on a full tank and still had about a quarter left.

Did the same trip with a GX470....omo.....I noticed huge difference.
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by TCD: 1:20pm On Dec 16, 2015
MPVGoddess:

I have noticed it keeps directing me to take side streets instead of "the express way" when I once traveled from from Benin to Abuja around the ekpoma axis,

I just did it to test its accuracy, not that I didn't know my way smiley

Other than that its indeed very accurate
yes you are right. sometimes the map tries to direct you through the shortest route possible which might include side roads.

that's why as you go ahead it's good to ask questions from the police at checkpoints.

sygic once directed me through a road claiming there was a bridge there only for me to almost drive into a river at high speed with confidence . I ended up driving my car onto a wooden boat to cross the river although it cut 1 hour from my journey, scary experience I must add.

1 Like

Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by sleekcm(m): 1:34pm On Dec 16, 2015
1. Leave early. Not earlier than 5am. This way you avoid most of the police check points that will cause delays.
2. Have your papers intact. Customs especially.
3. Don't drive alone, get someone, preferably a driver to travel with you.

A lot of great tips have been written here already.

Good luck and have a safe home trip.
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by MrTour: 11:57pm On Dec 17, 2015
Haha no bro, its not a bride but its an interesting ending with pics coming later.

Thanks for your updates, i will keep you updated.

chillex8:

Are you going to pick a bride

This trophy you are craving for tho
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by MrTour: 12:02am On Dec 18, 2015
Thanks for your contributions, i heard some police at a filling station in Ijebu Ode cause road block to collect N100, they better watch out cos 007 is on the way cool

sleekcm:
1. Leave early. Not earlier than 5am. This way you avoid most of the police check points that will cause delays.
2. Have your papers intact. Customs especially.
3. Don't drive alone, get someone, preferably a driver to travel with you.

A lot of great tips have been written here already.

Good luck and have a safe home trip.
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by inze(m): 9:01am On Dec 18, 2015
MrTour:
Thanks for your contributions, i heard some police at a filling station in Ijebu Ode cause road block to collect N100, they better watch out cos 007 is on the way cool

. . . You no know road from Lagos to Enugu and you still dey claim 007 grin
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by Nobody: 1:36pm On Dec 19, 2015
MrTour:
Its a 1.8 Turbo Charged Toyota Avensis.

Was expecting a Lambo.
Anyway, nothing special.
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by MrTour: 4:02pm On Dec 19, 2015
Haha Lambo lambo, on naija road no bro smiley

AdmiralDru:

Was expecting a Lambo.
Anyway, nothing special.
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 19, 2015
MrTour:

C'mon, check out @GidiCarsng on twitter and see what people are driving in this country.
There's almost no car thats not in this country, trust me.

Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by nurey(m): 5:58pm On Dec 19, 2015
MrTour:

Am still waiting for the pix of your turbo charged 1.8L Avensis petrol Engine that's if it exist.
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by chillex8(m): 12:33pm On Feb 05, 2016
MrTour:
Haha no bro, its not a bride but its an interesting ending with pics coming later.

Thanks for your updates, i will keep you updated.

Mr Tour come and update us.
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 7:58pm On Feb 05, 2016
So u abandoned the thread?
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by opey112(m): 9:32am On Feb 07, 2016
How did the journey go?update us
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by inze(m): 12:15pm On Feb 07, 2016
. . . i hope all is well with him, his 'last seen' was since Dec. 20th. Anyone who knows him personally should check on him on our behalf
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 07, 2016
MrTour:
Its a 1.8 Turbo Charged Toyota Avensis.

A turbocharged Toyota Avensis does NOT exist with a gasoline engine. Unless you've got a TRD Special, which is unlikely.
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by Nobody: 1:15pm On Feb 07, 2016
nurey:
But I could be wrong, a pix of the engine and the turbo on the gear lever will let me know.

Nurey, turbo on the gear lever? I must be missing something here. Could you expand on this?
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by nurey(m): 1:57pm On Feb 07, 2016
Siena:

Nurey, turbo on the gear lever? I must be missing something here. Could you expand on this?

Oga siena, nah so the thing tire me, I know for certain his avensis generation has only diesel turbo charged version the 2.0 D4D turbo engine. There was no gasoline turbo charged of any sort, he also said the turbo button was available on the gear lever.
So my guess was that the engine had VVTI engraved and he miscalculated the T and I as turbo injector or so, also most toyotas of the late 90s and early 2000 had a O/D (over drive) button on the gear lever which gave the engine a kinda engine performance difference so he must have thought it was the turbo button. He promised me a pix of the engine but he never delivered, I just hope he is all right sha.
Re: My Car Tour From Lagos To Enugu (007 in Action) by king406(m): 8:37pm On Feb 07, 2016
MrTour, I hope u are alive and well.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Engine Oil Encyclopedia - Everything You Need To Know In One Thread / Advice On Car Purchase At Owode Onirin / Now, You've Gotten A Hybrid Car. What Next?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.