Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,191 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job (39176 Views)

Lagos Banker Sacked For Tweeting About Hating His Job / Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant / BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by ojnnaco(m): 1:02pm On Dec 14, 2015
If s/he is not comfortable with the job ....let him or her change or quit shikina ...not minding d amount of money involved...... family first
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Intrepid01(m): 1:02pm On Dec 14, 2015
mrvitalis:
This guy is not serious... how can u earn half a million for 8 years and ur investment can only generate 200k a month..
... now I believe some people can't be rich no matter how much u give them

Learn to read well, he never said he's been earning over half a million for 8years.

This is the real reason why some people cant be rich no matter what!!!

Nigerians always fast to insult people.

1 Like

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Tolubory(m): 1:03pm On Dec 14, 2015
nyben4eva:
Hello nairalanders,a very good friend of mine came to me a couple of days ago with a detailed epistle of the trauma he faces with his job and how he's opted to quit,but insists on my advice before he hands in his resignation letter:

"I got my job six months after my NYSC and March 2015 was my eight years of working for the company.As an engineer,the job isn't my kind of job as it exposes me to lots of dangers and keeps me away from my family for at least six months every year.
My salary is more than half a million per month,yet I don't find joy doing what I'm been paid to do.

Thinking of my kids each time I leave home for work and how they cry to go with me is such a feeling that makes me wish I never had the job in the first place and at the same time,the thought of how they would fare if I quit without laying a proper foundation for their future makes me reconsider my decision and keep telling myself that I have to keep on going.

Though,I have most of the necessary things to make life a bit easier,but I'm always sad whenever is time to go to work.My wife on the other hand,tries to convince me before I'll finally make up my mind.It has been like this right from the onset,yet things aren't changing.
The most annoying aspect is that of my employers,an American company.They drain every bit of my energy and always remind me of how jobs are very scarce in Nigeria.

Right now,I have a business that could be fetching me at least two hundred thousand naira per month with lots of rooms for expansion and I feel so delighted that I'm going to become my own boss.
The happiness I derive from trying to do my own business is so boundless,but my problem is this: I don't want to go back to the same job once I quit".

Should I ask him to quit or continue with the job?Is happiness more important than pay?I need very intelligent answers, please.

well he need to save some capital and quit that Job to stay on his own , as you said , he earn more than a half million, he need to established some thing that he love doing ,
Work with Joy keeps you healthy.....
Work with sadness Kills......
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Engineer123(m): 1:04pm On Dec 14, 2015
calabaman:
I am willing to replace ur friend and pay him 150k monthly for the next 12 months if he can secure the job for me.

CAN U IMAGINE.
cheesy grin grin no dulling. grin grin grin
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Nobody: 1:08pm On Dec 14, 2015
Money is not happiness. Moreover, his kids shouldn't dictate his life for him. They will grow up to blame him if he's dat stupiiiid
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 14, 2015
OP I thought we had the same friend..
But then my friend does not work for an American company and he is not married..

Copy this guys quote and give it to your friend
Barcholder:
This is a dilemna very commonly faced in the UK, and indeed is one that I personally faced few years ago. Here is my carefully considered advice.
Most importantly, if he already has a business that is currently making N200k, that's extremely impressive given the fact that he can't be spending very much time on it due to his considerable work commitments. This tells me that if he actually focused on that business, there's no way he won't be making considerably more than N500k per month within a relatively short period of time.
His happiness is the most important thing, and no matter how much money you are being paid, misery is never a good thing. Most Nigerians, unfortunately, don't understand the value of life and all the other facets of it that truly bring us joy. The most valuable commodity in life is one's time, which is why Prison is the most commonly used form of punishment in the world - to restrict one's time and freedom.
That said, he will certainly have some difficulties in persuading his wife to go along with his plan to quit his job in favour of the business. This is a very common challenge and is one that must be navigated with care. Very few successful business men in the UK or USA today have not at one time or another, faced this challenge.
I can speak from experience and say that I once gave up a secure job in London paying me £150,000 per annum, in favour of the uncertainty of starting a new business. Looking back now, it was the best decision I've ever made in my life.
So, my advice is this - have a frank and open discussion with your wife, and explain to her how you plan to increase the income of your business from 200k to well over what you currently earn. Be persuasive, and mean every single word of it. Reassure her that you have what it takes to make a real success of the business, and ask her to trust your judgement on it, and continue to give you her unconditional support, because you will certainly need it, especially in the early days.
When you have her onside, go ahead and tender your resignation. The very best of luck to you my brother, I'm praying for your massive success.
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by DOCTORDONE: 1:11pm On Dec 14, 2015
duduade:
I feel for your friend sha
But anyways.
Abeg drop the name of the company here ...
You!! Hahaha
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by sukkot: 1:13pm On Dec 14, 2015
nyben4eva:
Hello nairalanders,a very good friend of mine came to me a couple of days ago with a detailed epistle of the trauma he faces with his job and how he's opted to quit,but insists on my advice before he hands in his resignation letter:

"I got my job six months after my NYSC and March 2015 was my eight years of working for the company.As an engineer,the job isn't my kind of job as it exposes me to lots of dangers and keeps me away from my family for at least six months every year.
My salary is more than half a million per month,yet I don't find joy doing what I'm been paid to do.

Thinking of my kids each time I leave home for work and how they cry to go with me is such a feeling that makes me wish I never had the job in the first place and at the same time,the thought of how they would fare if I quit without laying a proper foundation for their future makes me reconsider my decision and keep telling myself that I have to keep on going.

Though,I have most of the necessary things to make life a bit easier,but I'm always sad whenever is time to go to work.My wife on the other hand,tries to convince me before I'll finally make up my mind.It has been like this right from the onset,yet things aren't changing.
The most annoying aspect is that of my employers,an American company.They drain every bit of my energy and always remind me of how jobs are very scarce in Nigeria.

Right now,I have a business that could be fetching me at least two hundred thousand naira per month with lots of rooms for expansion and I feel so delighted that I'm going to become my own boss.
The happiness I derive from trying to do my own business is so boundless,but my problem is this: I don't want to go back to the same job once I quit".

Should I ask him to quit or continue with the job?Is happiness more important than pay?I need very intelligent answers, please.

tell him to quit and do his own business. life is too short to be unhappy and you dont want to miss the most important thing in life which is to see your kids growing. i will say dont quit but since he is a resourceful guy with his own business that can bring in 200k and with lots of room for improvement, i say quit ASAP

1 Like

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Bamz(m): 1:18pm On Dec 14, 2015
Nyben4eva,
I'm guessing your friend works onshore/offshore on a rotation type job.

Before he'll consider leaving his job,

1) His businesses must earn almost double what he gets on his monthly paid job.

So here's what he's go to do:
2) Set a realistic timeframe to achieve goal in point 1

3) Periodically check if the timeframe's still valid

4) Take corrective actions if necessary depending on point 3 outcome by investing more into the biz, more oversight etc

5) If you're not on contract and maybe entitled to some kind of pension, and you haven't reached the required number of years, wait for it, else, peacefully leave the job.

In the end, it's all about proper planning.

2 Likes

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by rildwanullahi(m): 1:19pm On Dec 14, 2015
nyben4eva:

Abeg Abeg Abeg Abeg Abeg Abeg Abeg I dey beg you, once he is about to, I would gladly replace him
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by millionboi(m): 1:22pm On Dec 14, 2015
nyben4eva:

i wil leave u with dis truth"u cn never ve evrytin u wnt in life
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Nemesis99(m): 1:22pm On Dec 14, 2015
i didnt even bother reading the post. so, lets just say i'm commenting on just the topic and not the post. pls lets swap for just 6mnths. i have a beauty saln and i am sure you can manage for that long. gv me a call lets talk abt the swap
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by apheyz(m): 1:24pm On Dec 14, 2015
mrvitalis:
This guy is not serious... how can u earn half a million for 8 years and ur investment can only generate 200k a month..

Kai!!!! This guy na idiot sha!!!! U think u can start a business one day and earn ur millions immediately The O.P said it himself that there is always a room for expansion...
If that's d kinda mindset u'v gat, then u are actually d one that can't be rich.

1 Like

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 14, 2015
Yes its possible, a time i was earning around 250k per month and i was not happy with my job at all so i resigned and i got another job with lesser pay and with happiness
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by trendyprettygir: 1:29pm On Dec 14, 2015
hmmm.....

I think your friend should :

1. Go for therapy

2. Take his entire family on a two week vacation outside the country for a start. If the company won't give him leave, then he should try taking this leave on medical grounds.

3. Start saving and if his wife is not working open a business for her and he should start a business now as well.

And finally once both the business of his wife and himself is fairly stable, he should resign (having it in mind that he already owns a house and not a tenant anymore).

Thanks.
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 14, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
you mean 85 for career and 15 for family?......what!!!!!!!!!!

it would have been 80-20 but Tradition and Culture in Nigeria is resistant to that idea.. only problem is when you are going through dire straits and need money to take care of your family who needs your 24/7.. everybody hands-off. It is only a phase in your working life.. typically from Analyst to Mid-level Manager.. from that point on you have people to delegate to and Executive matters to attend to. You can now structure your social and family life
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Nobody: 1:33pm On Dec 14, 2015
trendyprettygir:

hmmm.....

I think your friend should :

1. Go for therapy

2. Take his entire family on a two week vacation outside the country for a start. If the company won't give him leave, then he should try taking this leave on medical grounds.

3. Start saving and if his wife is not working open a business for her and he should start a business now as well.

And finally once both the business of his wife and himself is fairly stable, he should resign (having it in mind that he already owns a house and not a tenant anymore).

Thanks.

If he was earning at least N1.2 monthly
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Ekejoestar(m): 1:35pm On Dec 14, 2015
CrazyMan:
A lot of young Nigerian graduates earn far less under more terrible working conditions and still hope and believe things will get better someday.

Eight years is enough time for him to have saved something reasonable to become a boss of his own considering what he earns per month.

My advice is that he should start the business while maintaining his current job, put his wife there and monitor his profit after removing his capital, cost of maintenance, tax and other expenses.

If he's happy with that he sees, then he can happily quit his current job,

Good luck.

This the best way!
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by chillingbabe: 1:38pm On Dec 14, 2015
mrvitalis:
Mumu...it's obvious you didn't read the post properly before spewing ur comment trash.
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by biosepeter1(m): 1:45pm On Dec 14, 2015
mrvitalis:

Dude 8 months
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by teemy(m): 1:47pm On Dec 14, 2015
nyben4eva, I recommend your friend save up for a year before actually leaving his job and 6 month from now should have his biz fully self running. Also before leaving should at least ask for better working conditions or a transfer and see if it could be granted before calling it quits.
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by CioAngels(f): 1:49pm On Dec 14, 2015
Having worked for eight year, hopefuly, you should have a little untouched savings and by the side pp that brings you 200k monthly, good. How much committed 'not money' is your wife to you, children and home? If she is ha ome builder then good. What is your wife's take on the issue? What kind of school does your children attends? If you both can shed class, changing your chlldren ffrom private to public school is the best, shameful you might say, shameful of what if i may ask? But public schools are better. Where you are going is more paramount and not where are coming from. Is your wife prudent and not the asoebi type? Now, with or without your own house and with the business you already have on ground, i would say your family is very important.
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Trillyonaire: 1:55pm On Dec 14, 2015
Is the 200k turnover? Gross profit or net profit?
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Ralphlauren(m): 1:58pm On Dec 14, 2015
Sagamite:
If he wants to quit simply because he misses his kids, that is nonsense.

As much as I love kids, I also know it is expensive to raise them and give them the good things in life.

If he wants to quit because he misses his kids, actually hates his job and he has another sustainable avenue of making a living that he likes, then he needs to hand in his resignation asap.

Life is about being happy. But happiness does not normally come from being broke and failing your family.

Ehen. So you can actually post with sense? Ki lo je yo? grin

Good to see a post from you without your outdated curse words

1 Like

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by akanbiaa(m): 1:58pm On Dec 14, 2015
All what he is suffering there are people facing worse that are on 35k a month(that is if they don't deduct 1 to 2 weeks salary from it for crazy or no reason). Engineers, Graduates and even masters holders are doing it, of you cant cope and you have alternative then plan your resignation in such a way that you meet the condition of service of your company for leaving if its some months notice give them and if you can afford paying some months salary if its how your terms of service is then pay them.
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Sagamite(m): 2:00pm On Dec 14, 2015
Ralphlauren:

Ehen. So you can actually post with sense? Ki lo je yo? grin

Good to see a post from you without your outdated curse words

Shut up, fuuktard.

1 Like

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by fortune1968: 2:03pm On Dec 14, 2015
CrazyMan:
A lot of young Nigerian graduates earn far less under more terrible working conditions and still hope and believe things will get better someday.

Eight years is enough time for him to have saved something reasonable to become a boss of his own considering what he earns per month.

My advice is that he should start the business while maintaining his current job, put his wife there and monitor his profit after removing his capital, cost of maintenance, tax and other expenses.

If he's happy with that he sees, then he can happily quit his current job,

Good luck.
ur advice is good but,you must realise dt some women are terrible when it comes to money .d husband notwithstanding .if he will resign,he should do so&handle d business HIMSELF. these women ?...
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by bmos(m): 2:06pm On Dec 14, 2015
[quote author=MadCow1 know the feeling[/quote]

The feel of joy is a personal thing that transcend money. For those who fail to understand the feeling of that man, well & good. By the time he made the money and eventually returned to a ruined children, wife, that damage cannot be healed by lots of cash. Let him resign and come "grow' with his family. After all, there is a job to fall back to with room for expansion. I am still a sailor. Back in the 1990s each time I returned home fm my voyages, my little boy will always tell me, " go to your house, this is my Mommy's house" each time he does something worth discipling him. To him I dont belong there. Much cash but a stranger in the home. So tell your friend to earn the fathership of his children.

1 Like

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by wisdomcity: 2:11pm On Dec 14, 2015
My advice for him is to work for some months to enable him save some money, inother for him to have enough capital to start his bussiness..
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Ralphlauren(m): 2:14pm On Dec 14, 2015
Sagamite:

Shut up, fuuktard.

Asinwin grin
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by calabaman(m): 2:15pm On Dec 14, 2015
Engineer123:

cheesy grin grin no dulling. grin grin grin

na so now brother
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by trendyprettygir: 2:16pm On Dec 14, 2015
voltron:

If he was earning at least N1.2 monthly

He does not have to do everything at once.

He should plan and then spread everything.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chartered Insurance Institute Of Nigeria (ciin) / 70 Best Out Of Office Messages That Always Work / Mistakes A Guy Must Not Make In His 20s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.