Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,893 members, 7,806,606 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:57 PM

I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi (4215 Views)

"I Will Renounce My Nigerian Nationality If.... - Aroms Aigbehi / A Nigerian In Germany Wanted To Renounce His Nigerian Citizenship & Got This / I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship - Prof. Adesanmi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by pauloman(m): 9:00am On Dec 14, 2015
I just read this Piece (From Sahara Reporters) thought i should share.Please leave your comments on this write up. Enjoy...

I am a citizen of Canada.

I came to Canada in 1998.

I have been living in Ottawa since 2006.

Ottawa is where I pay my taxes.

I am uncomfortable in my skin because a lot has been happening here in Ottawa lately that do not reflect my values. I am always feeling like a fish unaccepted by the water it calls home.

Take the recent case that has seen two Ottawa City Councillors get into trouble. It all has to do with what the two politicians are calling “election expense gaffes” and “clerical errors”. But the public prosecutor and the tax payers think that what happened may be more than expense gaffes and clerical errors.

Here are the broad outlines of the story. In retiring his expense account for the 2010 election, one of the two Councillors reported that he had no election deficit whereas he was $5, 121 in the red. In other words, he had overspent on election by about six thousand dollars and was trying to cover it up (or failed to report that deficit due to “clerical errors” as he claims). The other Councillor in trouble has a slightly different story. Someone on his campaign team failed to report a $100 nomination fee refund as income and his campaign team as whole misreported a $1,754 bookkeeping fee.

The newspapers are reporting that the electoral officer of Elections Canada – the body in charge of elections in this country – must decide whether to accept the explanations of these Councillors that they made an honest mistake or whether to prosecute them for fraud and corruption. Because we are dealing with tax payer dollars and tax payers tend not to joke with how public officers spend their money in this country, the Councillors will in all likelihood be prosecuted.

And this is why I have nearly reached the conclusion that Canada is not the place for me. This is why I am seriously considering renouncing my citizenship. My values are at odds with the values of this country. I feel very embarrassed that the capital city of a major Western country is disturbing the peace of the rest of the world for corruption figures of less than ten thousand dollars. One of the Councillors even has somebody on his team being investigated for one hundred dollars!

These are not my values. When I say I care about my tax dollars, I mean that only “clerical errors” or “election expense gaffes” of half a billion dollars and above should cause concern and be investigated. If Canada is not prepared to embrace my values and improve on her standards of what constitutes corruption that should reasonably elicit outrage, I don’t see what I am doing here. It is a violation of my right to sleep and peace to be disturbed whenever a politician cannot account for one hundred dollars.

After nearly two decades in this country, another thing I still don’t understand is why politicians must retire campaign expense funds after an election. Retirement of campaign funds means that a thorough independent audit of campaign expenditure must be undertaken. How much did a campaign raise? How was it raised? How was it spent? Were campaign finance laws adhered to? What is the account balance of the campaign? People here treat campaign expense audits as a right. They even act like they have the right to know. That, also, is contrary to my values. I don’t think I can ever get used to it. It is better to renounce my citizenship than being made to feel that anybody owes me any explanations as to how they raised and spent their campaign funds.

I also do not like the fact that everybody is treating the investigation of the two Ottawa Councillors as a straightforward case of institutions and process. Nobody has risen up to defend them in public. Nobody has carried posters to support them. Nobody has threatened Elections Canada with doomsday scenarios should the two Councillors be prosecuted for corruption. What if they are being witch hunted because they do not belong to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s political party? Would they have been investigated at all if they had donated the disputed funds to Prime Minister Trudeau’s campaign? Are the two Councillors Christians? Are they Muslims? What is their ethnicity? Are they the only ones who have had “clerical errors” and “election expense gaffes” in the political history of Canada? Why single them out for persecution? Why now? Why not extend the investigation of financial wrongdoing to the formation of the Federal Dominion of Canada on July 1, 1867? Is that not the only way to ensure impartiality?

These are the kinds of questions that inform my world and my values. By not asking these kinds of questions, Canadians are being hostile to me. They are telling me that my values don’t count. They are rejecting who I am. I need to move to a country where I’d feel at home. Can you suggest a country where my values would not make me a minority?

SOURCE:PIUS ADESANMI

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by greatness22(m): 9:15am On Dec 14, 2015
**Opens a bottle of Limca** Good mrng Nairalanders.
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by zoeee(f): 9:19am On Dec 14, 2015
How does this affect us
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by pauloman(m): 9:44am On Dec 14, 2015
zoeee:
How does this affect us

A thoughtful comment on his situation could go a long way...

1 Like

Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by dustydee: 9:45am On Dec 14, 2015
sarcasm. I hope my country men and women will understand the meaning of accountability.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by Nobody: 9:51am On Dec 14, 2015
Let's investigate pmb and gej campaign expenses and their sources for better accountability
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by jaybee3(m): 9:51am On Dec 14, 2015
zoeee:
How does this affect us
If they can demand accountability for a sum as little as that then isn't it shameful and alarming that our skewed, dented, bastardized values still allows us to celebrate the so called leaders that have ruined the economy and stopped it from growing thus far?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by OZAOEKPE(f): 9:52am On Dec 14, 2015
jaybee3:

If they can demand accountability for a sum as little as that then isn't it shameful and alarming that our skewed, dented, bastardized values still allows us to celebrate the so called leaders that have ruined the economy and stopped it from growing thus far?
PLEASE CALM DOWN, I KNOW YOU VEXED??
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by SweetSoup(m): 10:01am On Dec 14, 2015
Only the intelligent peeps would comprehend this write up. Lovely write up by the way

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by pauloman(m): 10:06am On Dec 14, 2015
PROVACATEUR:
Let's investigate pmb and gej campaign expenses and their sources for better accountability

Literally speaking...do you not think the writer's values are highly questionable seeking such an advice?
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 14, 2015
pauloman:
I just read this Piece (From Sahara Reporters) thought i should share.Please leave your comments on this write up. Enjoy...

I am uncomfortable in my skin because a lot has been happening here in Ottawa lately that do not reflect my values. I am always feeling like a fish unaccepted by the water it calls home.

Take the recent case that has seen two Ottawa City Councillors get into trouble. It all has to do with what the two politicians are calling “election expense gaffes” and “clerical errors”. But the public prosecutor and the tax payers think that what happened may be more than expense gaffes and clerical errors.

Here are the broad outlines of the story. In retiring his expense account for the 2010 election, one of the two Councillors reported that he had no election deficit whereas he was $5, 121 in the red. In other words, he had overspent on election by about six thousand dollars and was trying to cover it up (or failed to report that deficit due to “clerical errors” as he claims). The other Councillor in trouble has a slightly different story. Someone on his campaign team failed to report a $100 nomination fee refund as income and his campaign team as whole misreported a $1,754 bookkeeping fee.

The newspapers are reporting that the electoral officer of Elections Canada – the body in charge of elections in this country – must decide whether to accept the explanations of these Councillors that they made an honest mistake or whether to prosecute them for fraud and corruption. Because we are dealing with tax payer dollars and tax payers tend not to joke with how public officers spend their money in this country, the Councillors will in all likelihood be prosecuted.

And this is why I have nearly reached the conclusion that Canada is not the place for me. This is why I am seriously considering renouncing my citizenship. My values are at odds with the values of this country. I feel very embarrassed that the capital city of a major Western country is disturbing the peace of the rest of the world for corruption figures of less than ten thousand dollars. One of the Councillors even has somebody on his team being investigated for one hundred dollars!

These are not my values. When I say I care about my tax dollars, I mean that only “clerical errors” or “election expense gaffes” of half a billion dollars and above should cause concern and be investigated. If Canada is not prepared to embrace my values and improve on her standards of what constitutes corruption that should reasonably elicit outrage, I don’t see what I am doing here. It is a violation of my right to sleep and peace to be disturbed whenever a politician cannot account for one hundred dollars.

After nearly two decades in this country, another thing I still don’t understand is why politicians must retire campaign expense funds after an election. Retirement of campaign funds means that a thorough independent audit of campaign expenditure must be undertaken. How much did a campaign raise? How was it raised? How was it spent? Were campaign finance laws adhered to? What is the account balance of the campaign? People here treat campaign expense audits as a right. They even act like they have the right to know. That, also, is contrary to my values. I don’t think I can ever get used to it. It is better to renounce my citizenship than being made to feel that anybody owes me any explanations as to how they raised and spent their campaign funds.

I also do not like the fact that everybody is treating the investigation of the two Ottawa Councillors as a straightforward case of institutions and process. Nobody has risen up to defend them in public. Nobody has carried posters to support them. Nobody has threatened Elections Canada with doomsday scenarios should the two Councillors be prosecuted for corruption. What if they are being witch hunted because they do not belong to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s political party? Would they have been investigated at all if they had donated the disputed funds to Prime Minister Trudeau’s campaign? Are the two Councillors Christians? Are they Muslims? What is their ethnicity? Are they the only ones who have had “clerical errors” and “election expense gaffes” in the political history of Canada? Why single them out for persecution? Why now? Why not extend the investigation of financial wrongdoing to the formation of the Federal Dominion of Canada on July 1, 1867? Is that not the only way to ensure impartiality?

These are the kinds of questions that inform my world and my values. By not asking these kinds of questions, Canadians are being hostile to me. They are telling me that my values don’t count. They are rejecting who I am. I need to move to a country where I’d feel at home. Can you suggest a country where my values would not make me a minority?

OP, Thank you my brother. Just to chip in that Canada's Senator Mike Duffy (Conservative Senator) has been under investigation, even under Harper' Conservative government. Nigel S. Wright, a Canadian and lawyer who served as the thirteenth Chief of Staff of the Office of the Prime Minister Harper of Canada is also being investigated. The truth is that those two were NEVER shielded by Harper government even when they belong to the same party. Now your two Councillors are being investigated for their malfeasance and not because they are Liberal, NDP, Green Party nor Conservatives.

After the Toronto mayoral elections, Mayor John Tory, Olivia Chow and Doug Ford, the three main contenders published their campaign expenses for the review of the relevant authorities. Again, just recently Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal Party have said they were going to publish their election expenditures. This is a party that just came to office last month. That includes telling Canadians the sources of their campaign funding and how the monies was spent. It is a norm in Canada.

Op, in seeking equity, you must come with CLEAN HANDS just like The Harpers, The Torys, The Fords and The Trudeaus do in Canada. As you renounce your Canadian citizenship and return to Nigeria (I guess you are a Nigerian based on your name), please, impress on your leaders (Buhari and APC) not to hide thieves (like Amaechi, Tinubu, Fashola, El-Rufai, Sanusi, Obasanjo, Atiku, Saraki, etc) and only focus on the opposition (PDP members only). For the avoidance of any doubts, if all the PDP members were thieves for the 16 years the patry was in power, what makes you think that Amaechi who was PDP Speaker/Governor/etc for 14 years of 16 is now a saint? Or how would you exonerate OBJ (President for 8years of 16 years PDP reign as well as Atiku)?

OP, if a group of theives were caught by the Ploce in Nigeria and they confessed to have been stealing for 16 years, would it be right to chose to investigate them for just 6 out of 16 years? Which is higher, 6 or 10 of 16? Again, OP I know you have left Nigeria for over 20 years as you noted. Just to let you know that since the time of Shagari in 1979, no government (Federal, State or Local Council) have ever accounted for "Security Votes". Therefore, it would be nice to "look" into Security votes of the Federal and states in the last 16 years at least. Or what do you think

OP, if you find out in your most inner conscience that you cannot impress on your President to do just as they do in Canada, then just know that you are just another RANTING RED-NOSED HYPOCRITE!!!

1 Like

Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by Pataki: 10:30am On Dec 14, 2015
zoeee:
How does this affect us
Obviously, you only read the topic headliner. Easy to identify lazy brains like you who cannot take time to relate the message in his write-up.
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by rhymaster: 10:51am On Dec 14, 2015
If anyone cannot understand he is talking about Nigeria and the current corruption allegations of scandalous proportions using sarcasm, such a person is du.ll, I mean really du.ll! Wait until the 5-percenters, the dulla.rds get all over this post!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by naptu2: 11:08am On Dec 14, 2015
Another masterpiece from Professor Pius Adesanmi. He is so good that it's hard to choose which of his articles is my favourite, but here are five fantastic articles that he wrote.

Letter Of Gratitude To Senator Iyiola Omisore (2010)
https://www.nairaland.com/562153/letter-gratitude-senator-iyiola-omisore

And It Came To Pass (2009)
http://saharareporters.com/2009/07/08/and-it-came-pass

And It Came To Pass II (King Jona's Miracles). (2013)
https://www.nairaland.com/1272098/king-jonas-miracle-pius-adesanmi

General Buhari: A Whole Former Head Of State! (2014)
https://www.nairaland.com/1923568/general-buhari-whole-former-head

Was God Angry the Day He Created The Nigerian? (2015)
http://saharareporters.com/2015/09/30/was-god-angry-day-he-created-nigerian-pius-adesanmi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by pauloman(m): 11:31am On Dec 14, 2015
Xetima:

OP, Thank you my brother. Just to chip in that Canada's Senator Mike Duffy (Conservative Senator) has been under investigation, even under Harper' Conservative government. Nigel S. Wright, a Canadian and lawyer who served as the thirteenth Chief of Staff of the Office of the Prime Minister Harper of Canada is also being investigated. The truth is that those two were NEVER shielded by Harper government even when they belong to the same party. Now your two Councillors are being investigated for their malfeasance and not because they are Liberal, NDP, Green Party nor Conservatives.

After the Toronto mayoral elections, Mayor John Tory, Olivia Chow and Doug Ford, the three main contenders published their campaign expenses for the review of the relevant authorities. Again, just recently Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal Party have said they were going to publish their election expenditures. This is a party that just came to office last month. That includes telling Canadians the sources of their campaign funding and how the monies was spent. It is a norm in Canada.

Op, in seeking equity, you must come with CLEAN HANDS just like The Harpers, The Torys, The Fords and The Trudeaus do in Canada. As you renounce your Canadian citizenship and return to Nigeria (I guess you are a Nigerian based on your name), please, impress on your leaders (Buhari and APC) not to hide thieves (like Amaechi, Tinubu, Fashola, El-Rufai, Sanusi, Obasanjo, Atiku, Saraki, etc) and only focus on the opposition (PDP members only). For the avoidance of any doubts, if all the PDP members were thieves for the 16 years the patry was in power, what makes you think that Amaechi who was PDP Speaker/Governor/etc for 14 years of 16 is now a saint? Or how would you exonerate OBJ (President for 8years of 16 years PDP reign as well as Atiku)?

OP, if a group of theives were caught by the Ploce in Nigeria and they confessed to have been stealing for 16 years, would it be right to chose to investigate them for just 6 out of 16 years? Which is higher, 6 or 10 of 16? Again, OP I know you have left Nigeria for over 20 years as you noted. Just to let you know that since the time of Shagari in 1979, no government (Federal, State or Local Council) have ever accounted for "Security Votes". Therefore, it would be nice to "look" into Security votes of the Federal and states in the last 16 years at least. Or what do you think

OP, if you find out in your most inner conscience that you cannot impress on your President to do just as they do in Canada, then just know that you are just another RANTING RED-NOSED HYPOCRITE!!!

You are so spot on my Brother ! Just wondering why it is so hard for our leaders to take a cue from progressive countries such as Canada?
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by pauloman(m): 11:35am On Dec 14, 2015
naptu2:
Another masterpiece from Professor Pius Adesanmi. He is so good that it's hard to choose which of his articles is my favourite, but here are four fantastic articles that he wrote.

On point...he Satirically delivered this piece so well !
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by chinedumo(m): 4:42pm On Dec 16, 2015
This is a nice piece but it is also worthy of note that $100 is not as small as N100.
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by omoharry(f): 4:57pm On Dec 16, 2015
zoeee:
How does this affect us
he dey try tell us sey he na Candian Citizen. shikene

1 Like

Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by MRSALT: 10:13pm On Dec 16, 2015
Pius is a hypocrite. Canada values transparency Nigeria does not. If what happens in Canada takes place in Nigeria, believe me, no single politician will be innocent be you APC or PDP or whatever.
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by Akinrogun(m): 5:34pm On Feb 02, 2017
naptu2:
Another masterpiece from Professor Pius Adesanmi. He is so good that it's hard to choose which of his articles is my favourite, but here are five fantastic articles that he wrote.

Was God Angry the Day He Created The Nigerian? (2015)
http://saharareporters.com/2015/09/30/was-god-angry-day-he-created-nigerian-pius-adesanmi

bravo
excellent compilation....I commented so that I can refer to this in the days to come
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by Justiyke4u: 6:41pm On Feb 02, 2017
I love that country and even wish that after my wedding that my wife will go there and deliver
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by Nobody: 7:08pm On Feb 02, 2017
Nice piece.
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 10, 2019
Thanks for this Naptu2

Excellent article written in a sarcastic way grin

I didn’t know him but he seemed like intelligent , RIP Prof.
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by naptu2: 8:56pm On Mar 10, 2019
PRESENTATION:
Thanks for this Naptu2

Excellent article written in a sarcastic way grin

I didn’t know him but he seemed like intelligent , RIP Prof.

You should read "Letter of gratitude to Senator Iyiola Omisore".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by Emereolevanwill(m): 9:00pm On Mar 10, 2019
I love this.

Sarcasm at its best.
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by mightyhaze: 9:05pm On Mar 10, 2019
RIP Prof
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by Nobody: 9:25pm On Mar 10, 2019
naptu2:

You should read "Letter of gratitude to Senator Iyiola Omisore".

That’s for the recommendation, just read it another brilliant piece I must say. It’s a painful loss I must say, RIP to the Prof.
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by chicfarmer: 9:36pm On Mar 10, 2019
Sad loss.
Re: I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi by samstradam: 8:02pm On Mar 11, 2019
pauloman:

A large section of Nigerians will not see the sarcasm in this poignant piece.

(1) (Reply)

Is A Good Dictatorship Better Than A Corrupt Democracy? / Amnesty International: How SaharaReporters Saved Us From allege FGN Paid Protest / 16 Trucks Of Fuel Meant For Adamawa Diverted – DPR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.