Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:14 AM

Shadows In The Water – Episode 2 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Shadows In The Water – Episode 2 (481 Views)

Shadows Of Yesterday By Tiffanyj / Shadows Of The Green / Shadows....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Shadows In The Water – Episode 2 by RothmasPop: 3:58pm On Dec 16, 2015
http://penastory.com/2015/12/15/shadows-in-the-water-episode-2/

[Excerpt From Episode 1:

Labimpe was about to reply her when the sound of a gun went off, for a minute everybody paused as if spellbound by some magic. The second booming of the gun, this time followed by a piercing scream sent everyone scampering in different directions. To read Episode 1: CLICK HERE]

“Have you heard that Fagbuyi is returning to the village?” Labimpe asked as she and Asake made their way to the river. Asake shook her head and laughed, trying to avoid her pot of water from slipping from her grasp.

“Of course I have heard? Who hasn’t heard the news, I am very sure if they have not heard, you asking the entire village would surely have spread the news faster than Alamu and his gong.”

“Are you trying to insult me Asake. So now I am the village parrot that is always talking ehen? Me amebo? It is not your fault, after all I was only trying to be a good friend and make sure that you are not left out in the things that go on in this village.” Asake laughed again and pushed her friend lightly.

“Hanhan, so someone cannot play with you again. I was only joking with you jare.” Labimpe’s mood brightened up and she continued

“Who do you think he would want to choose as bride, you know we have quite some pretty girls. If not that I love my Akanni so much, I won’t mind him picking me.”

“Haba! Labimpe! This your mouth that won’t stop dancing till it puts you into trouble one of these days. Did they tell you he is coming home to pick a wife ni? How can you even be thinking of such a thing when his father was recently murdered in this very village?” Labimpe stopped in her tracks and shook her fist at Asake threateningly, obviously provoked.

“Warn yourself this morning Asake, warn yourself, if you have a fight you want to settle with me before, just let me know, abi which one is all this style style insult. I said someone will choose a bride you are saying nonsense. Don’t you know that he is set to replace his father and he can’t take that position without a wife in his hut?”

“Oya ma binu ore mi. I didn’t know you have so much information as to the matter already. You know I am not trying to insult you.” Asake replied with a sly smile and teased the other girl till Labimpe also laughed and they continued on their way to the river.

Later that evening, as Asake sat outside the house picking beans for their dinner, her mother came out of the house and sat beside her on the mat, joining her in the picking of the beans.

“Asake this your hairdo needs changing, don’t you want to leave this house? How will good men from good homes look at you when you are looking this tattered?” Asake looked at her mother and sighed inwardly. Here we go again on this issue of marriage she thought to herself as she replied her mother

“Maami, anybody hearing you now would think I am one old maiden that has refused to marry. And I have told you, I have a fiancée and you would soon know him.”

“Fiancée? I have always told your father that you are not alright because if you are alright, you would know that any man that is serious about a girl goes to seek the consent of her parents first.

“But you were the one just talking about how I should find a husband.”

“I said attract the men, I didn’t say find a husband or you want to say I don’t know what I am saying again? When you attract them, they would come home to us for your hand. Though from what I heard, they said Prince Adelaja has been chasing you.”

“That one? He is only wasting his time because he is not my type.” Asake said with a hiss and a clearly disgusted look on her face.

“Egbami,” her mother replied with a jolt and jumped up from the mat they were sitting on “repeat that nonsense you just said, not your type? What do you know about type? The prince is interested in you and you say not your type. I have always know you this girl did not take after me, all the brain you are supposed to have, you have given out to the fishes. The king owns all that is in the land so when he is ready, he will take you. Just make sure you don’t bring shame upon yourself and this family by doing anything that would affect your dignity. Make sure he meets you at home! ”

“Me I cannot marry Prince Adelaja,” Asake grumbled and stood up from the mat making to enter the house. Her mother blocked the entrance of the house and readjusted her wrapper in the manner of one ready for a fight.

“Where do you think you are going? Listen to me and listen well. I mean you should open those your ears that are meant for decoration like the wings of a butterfly, this is my own husband’s house. When you have sense in you, you will know that it is time you pack your load and go to your own husband’s house.”

Asake stared at her mother as if she had gone mad and was about to say something when Labimpe came into view, running like one who had the hounds of hell after her. She drew to a halt and collapsed on the mat, panting like a dog that just escaped the jaws of a lion. Mother and daughter forgot their argument for a minute and hurried to her.

“What is it Labimpe? Is all well with you and your family?”

http://penastory.com/2015/12/15/shadows-in-the-water-episode-2/

(1) (Reply)

Everything That Makes Us Human Is Vain / Love Or Something Like That / Late Icon And The Pauper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.