Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,008 members, 7,806,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job (38902 Views)

5 Months After Landing My Dream Job In An Int'l NGO, The Admin Shocked Me Today / I Got My First N-POWER Alert After Seven Months (pics) / I Got My Dream Job On Nairaland Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by Equado(m): 6:43pm On Dec 17, 2015
danduchi:
Congrat bro.... God bless you for the advise. Do u employ geologist, am a job seeker hoping for the best
am a geophysicist myself
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by ndcide(m): 6:53pm On Dec 17, 2015
Equado:
This writeup has been on my mind for sometime but due to the nature of my job,I have been extremely busy. This writeup might be helpful to some of the unemployed youths who are currently jumping from one interview to another, or those who are wondering what next after school.
I graduated from the university about 3years ago, and as a normal Nigerian graduate, I sat at home submitting cvs from one company to another, hoping ill one day get my dream job. I submitted cvs day in, day out and gradually days turned to weeks and weeks turned to months. I gained weight and before I knew it,I felt myself rapidly aging, was looking far older than I was. The agenda for the day where the same, eat, games, sleep, eat, TV/games, sleep.If I needed money for anything I asked my mum, it was truly a nightmare, my mum took full advantage, in making me do menial house-chores which I so hated. Something has to change I thought.
I decided to go out and do anything I can to make money, so I started home lessons for my aunts children, she paid me 5k for two hours lesson, three times a week. I wrote an application to teach in one "dead" private school at a place far from me, I knew I would never be turned down due to my educational qualifications.So I landed my first ever job post school days, I was to teach 6 subjects(mathematics,geography,agric,biology,chemistry and physics) both for ss1 and ss2. It was a stressful job and the pay was just 16k, the transport from the school to where I stay was 4k per-month. Teaching at that school was soooo stressful, writing lesson notes for all those subjects, marking students notes and teaching. It was very stressful but I did the job diligently, My director recommended me to a man who was looking for a lesson teacher for his son, he paid 20k for 3hours a day, four times a week lesson. I was no longer depending on my mum for financial support and hence i stopped the house-chores I so hated grin .
Fast forward, I was one day preparing the js3 class for there upcoming junior waec one evening when i noticed a woman who looked very rich observing me from the window. She was inside her car passing by and heard me teaching and it caught her attention. She sent her security man to collect my number, was expecting her call but she never called. One month later, I received a call and it was her, she wanted me doing home lesson for her children, they where 3 in number. After much negotiations she opted to pay 80k for the 3 of them, at this time all my earnings combined was about 116k. I stopped doing lessons for my aunts children, was just focused on my two lessons and the school where I was teaching.
Fast forward, the woman I worked for was a talkative and I liked talking myself, each time am teaching her children and shes around, we talk about everything. She grew to like me, and in no short time it was like we've known ourselves for a long time. Her husband is a contractor to a big oil company and he wanted starting an oil servicing firm for his wife, due to the discussions me and his wife usually have, I got to know. She told me about the project and how they already have everything in place, just looking for the right personnel's. She needed a manager who would run the place, she told me about it and subtly asked me if I was interested since I read a course similar to what she wants. I quickly agreed, despite my lack of experience she made me the manager of the soon to start establishment.
It was all a dream, as the manager I was entitled to my own personal car, which she gave me from her and her husbands fleet of cars and my salary structure is now over 400k. We started the company, she brought in more experienced people but all of them are to call me "SIR''. I became boss to car owners, " Big Men" and during the 6months have been working there now have shook hands to highly important personalities. The first interview we conducted, I saw graduates trooping in, just to get this job, made me realize how far I have come in a short while, only because I decided to leave the house and get busy instead of jumping from one interview to another.
The company has done really well in this few months, our second recruitment exercise is tomorrow and its like have been here all my life. In reality March this year, I didn't envisage Ill be here so soon. Morals of this, to those graduates out there still waiting for big organizations to start recruiting,before leaving the house, please get out there and do anything, no matter how menial it might be, while doing it be diligent , cause you might never know when its your turn to break-free of the yoke that's unemployment .
cc lalasticlala

Nice story.. What's the name of your company, I'm interested.
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by pasol4real(m): 6:54pm On Dec 17, 2015
Perfect men u are on point.Had the Same experience ,in my own case i had to go Source for a security job in a contract security company .
Had to Start with 12 k as salary .
One thing led to anoda ,i was tranferd to an IT company as a securiry guard .that was how i got my breakthrough ,there was an opening in the company it wasnt even my field but because i got to Know some ppl there i was given express employment into the company.
Well all i wud say here is dat i now work in a five Star company n my Pay home is in 6 digits wink
All because i took that bold step to wear a security uniform.
Moral: never u underestimate any Position it might just be Your ladder to greatness!

6 Likes

Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by DealMogul(m): 6:55pm On Dec 17, 2015
Incredibly inspiring post by the OP...Best thing I've read online in weeks. Wish other readers, especially recent graduates, will take the key message here and launch out.
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by DonnyT: 6:59pm On Dec 17, 2015
This is very inspirational story. Thanks for sharing, this can also be some sort of hope and courage for most people out there seeking an employment.
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by otunba88(m): 7:00pm On Dec 17, 2015
Thank you for this post.
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by tunshe: 7:02pm On Dec 17, 2015
Keneking:
Great, quite flawless..I was reading the experience line by line like following Dasuki's charges on armsgate.

Good job...may I ask the following troublesome questions

- do you pay tithe?
- where do you worship ?
- do you plan to marry anytime soon?
- can you share your spending habits?

Church robot grin

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by 6fit(f): 7:04pm On Dec 17, 2015
Equado:
This writeup has been on my mind for sometime but due to the nature of my job,I have been extremely busy. This writeup might be helpful to some of the unemployed youths who are currently jumping from one interview to another, or those who are wondering what next after school.
I graduated from the university about 3years ago, and as a normal Nigerian graduate, I sat at home submitting cvs from one company to another, hoping ill one day get my dream job. I submitted cvs day in, day out and gradually days turned to weeks and weeks turned to months. I gained weight and before I knew it,I felt myself rapidly aging, was looking far older than I was. The agenda for the day where the same, eat, games, sleep, eat, TV/games, sleep.If I needed money for anything I asked my mum, it was truly a nightmare, my mum took full advantage, in making me do menial house-chores which I so hated. Something has to change I thought.
I decided to go out and do anything I can to make money, so I started home lessons for my aunts children, she paid me 5k for two hours lesson, three times a week. I wrote an application to teach in one "dead" private school at a place far from me, I knew I would never be turned down due to my educational qualifications.So I landed my first ever job post school days, I was to teach 6 subjects(mathematics,geography,agric,biology,chemistry and physics) both for ss1 and ss2. It was a stressful job and the pay was just 16k, the transport from the school to where I stay was 4k per-month. Teaching at that school was soooo stressful, writing lesson notes for all those subjects, marking students notes and teaching. It was very stressful but I did the job diligently, My director recommended me to a man who was looking for a lesson teacher for his son, he paid 20k for 3hours a day, four times a week lesson. I was no longer depending on my mum for financial support and hence i stopped the house-chores I so hated grin .
Fast forward, I was one day preparing the js3 class for there upcoming junior waec one evening when i noticed a woman who looked very rich observing me from the window. She was inside her car passing by and heard me teaching and it caught her attention. She sent her security man to collect my number, was expecting her call but she never called. One month later, I received a call and it was her, she wanted me doing home lesson for her children, they where 3 in number. After much negotiations she opted to pay 80k for the 3 of them, at this time all my earnings combined was about 116k. I stopped doing lessons for my aunts children, was just focused on my two lessons and the school where I was teaching.
Fast forward, the woman I worked for was a talkative and I liked talking myself, each time am teaching her children and shes around, we talk about everything. She grew to like me, and in no short time it was like we've known ourselves for a long time. Her husband is a contractor to a big oil company and he wanted starting an oil servicing firm for his wife, due to the discussions me and his wife usually have, I got to know. She told me about the project and how they already have everything in place, just looking for the right personnel's. She needed a manager who would run the place, she told me about it and subtly asked me if I was interested since I read a course similar to what she wants. I quickly agreed, despite my lack of experience she made me the manager of the soon to start establishment.
It was all a dream, as the manager I was entitled to my own personal car, which she gave me from her and her husbands fleet of cars and my salary structure is now over 400k. We started the company, she brought in more experienced people but all of them are to call me "SIR''. I became boss to car owners, " Big Men" and during the 6months have been working there now have shook hands to highly important personalities. The first interview we conducted, I saw graduates trooping in, just to get this job, made me realize how far I have come in a short while, only because I decided to leave the house and get busy instead of jumping from one interview to another.
The company has done really well in this few months, our second recruitment exercise is tomorrow and its like have been here all my life. In reality March this year, I didn't envisage Ill be here so soon. Morals of this, to those graduates out there still waiting for big organizations to start recruiting,before leaving the house, please get out there and do anything, no matter how menial it might be, while doing it be diligent , cause you might never know when its your turn to break-free of the yoke that's unemployment .
cc lalasticlala

thank God for u....i did dsame. 7years is gone now am still teaching in d skool with no such oportunity or link to a bigger job...i doubt if d skool owner is not using staff aura to survive

2 Likes

Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by Harllymart(f): 7:05pm On Dec 17, 2015
NOTED
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by ehix89(m): 7:10pm On Dec 17, 2015
yhu didnt tlk about d oda side of the story,how u blipped ur madam :-)....na djoke I dhey ooooo
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by Engrr(m): 7:11pm On Dec 17, 2015
Congratulations!...........But come to think of it, how could somebody with ZERO experience in O/G become the manager of a new company

.....just Trying to make a common sense!

3 Likes

Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by bextie: 7:12pm On Dec 17, 2015
Thank you OP.
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by Sunnypar(m): 7:14pm On Dec 17, 2015
I have always championed the cause of getting busy but most people would not listen especially job seekers on the job section. I started as a secirtiy guard which my boss had a lot of assignment/project on his hand and asked if I could use a computer and he handed some of the projects to me. His friend asked him he needed a computer instructor for his kids, you definitely know who came to mind(sunnypar)..... I was called upon.... Oh! The Security guard jobs comes with accommodation, lunch(sumptuous ones) and lessons(for friends and neighbors). Get your dead bum off the bed and hit the road.
Engrcharlesid started with 8k, today story don change. Keep waiting for that oil job you hear.

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by KanoAbiaBabe(f): 7:17pm On Dec 17, 2015
@ OP,u are very correct. It pains me seeing graduates sitting at home waiting for 6 digits salary. I finished my service last year Oct,most of the corpers were eager to return home but I stayed back,it was a hard decision but I thought it necessary to do so considering where I was coming from. I had to start working as an audit trainee where I was given a stipends of 10k monthly sometimes it will drop to 7k, it wasn't easy cos I was spending far more than that amount monthly but I was doing it joyfully and gaining the experience. That same experience landed me a nice job in an international audit firm. Funny enuf most of my frds who left immediately after service are still at home.
Don't despise little beginning.

5 Likes

Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 17, 2015
This is really what I need ryt now. Thanks aand congratulations to you.
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by yorex2011: 7:25pm On Dec 17, 2015
Yh in that phase right now, pay is small, but surely gonna be a stepping stone for me AMEN!

2 Likes

Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by danbrowndmf(m): 7:26pm On Dec 17, 2015
calliope:
Before the end of this year! Wit faith and gratitude.. Some one wud get their dream job.. If u believe wink Complement of the season nairalanders tongue
AMEN OOOO!
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by danbrowndmf(m): 7:29pm On Dec 17, 2015
pretydiva:
Congratulations op. I'm happy 4 u. I'm gonna share my testimony here on nairaland by God's grace
AMEN sister.
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by Horlawale1(m): 7:32pm On Dec 17, 2015
I will definitely give my own testimony too very soon
Behind every Glory there is always a story
Congratulations bro

2016 is my year of define breakthrough............

2 Likes

Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by Goldencollins: 7:37pm On Dec 17, 2015
My Brother congratulations,may God continue to lift u higher,I tap into ur blessing In Jesus Name. Amen
I wish to get my dream Job soon,pls kindly notify me when next ur company is recruiting my mail is news360ng@gmail.com
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by gerabest: 7:49pm On Dec 17, 2015
oh my God i felt like i feel like readin dis piece everyday.. Congrats bro!! And pls dd i jus read dt your company will be recruitn soonest? Pls wot's d link i need to forward my cv!! Pls my mail is geraldine.akunne@gmail.com
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by muyibaba222(m): 7:51pm On Dec 17, 2015
I'm happy for you bro. Looking forward to writting a testimony like this... Congratz
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by samx4real(m): 7:54pm On Dec 17, 2015
Wow from GRASS to GRACE!!!

I claim this in Jesus name... Amen!
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by Rolandken(m): 7:59pm On Dec 17, 2015
Summary of the posters story: See thou a man diligent in his business, he shall stand before kings, he shall not stand before ordinary men.
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by micca: 8:01pm On Dec 17, 2015
I lyk d courage my broda out be courage. It make d dream come throu
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by akanbiaa(m): 8:07pm On Dec 17, 2015
exlink10:
Hi, I really thank God for his mercies over you. I say Amennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn to your favored life.

I couldn't help noticing that you said you guys are recruiting again tomorrow....

Am interested. I have ND & HND in computer science and i know alot about the discipline. I will appreciate if you can make it possible for me. I really don tire to look job bro. Even if space dey for ND certificate, i wouldn't mind.

Am not asking you to give me the job on a platter of gold, all am asking is for you to get me to the door and watch me get job.

Thanks so much and may God continue to bless and prosper you.
Private schools no dey ur area ni? The op said do whatever You Can first, OP contrats your case is divine blessings You would still have met That woman one way or the other its destined. If You dont let joblessness frustration get to You, its the jobless state That Will suffer and You shall enjoy.

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by Akosxxx(m): 8:10pm On Dec 17, 2015
I cant but WOW
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by obiak4(m): 8:14pm On Dec 17, 2015
Pls stop looking for jobs the earlier you realise the better for u
op you company will recruit soon what a lie (i presumed) nigerians should braze up for hard times am not a prophet of doom but just saying the reality on ground based on the economy of the country for now
DIY how to make money from now till march 2016 if you have 20,000 now use it to buy dollars in any BDC and keep it by march 2016 1$ would be btw 290-310 now it @ 270 if you can take more risk and make more money.
Blessed be
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by ayoniakins(f): 8:16pm On Dec 17, 2015
hmmmm.......thanks and God bless u for sharing this.

stop submitting CV's ayoniakins, get busy and don't look down on any job....

Na So....

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by Originalsly: 8:17pm On Dec 17, 2015
Very inspirational. One lousy job op applied for.... and look where it took him?... his degree was of little help. ... not useless... but of little help. People just need to get up and get.... be dedicated...reliable...take pride in whatever you do and doors would be opened in due time. Absolutely nothing wrong starting from the bottom....but after all this is said. ... sorry op.... many would rush you to get a start at the top!...this your testimony enter one ear and flowed out the other!
Re: How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job by 4ifyomedon(m): 8:21pm On Dec 17, 2015
Congrat my brother. What I see in this is even when u are working u should try and get busy with somtin that interest u. Like me been in banking and also an estate agent with some boys helping out to scout for property for sale.
Its a win win situation. Just get busy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do I Greet My Panel Of Interviewers / Oando Gas And Power Limited Recruitment 2017 (4 Positions) / How Many People Have Received Email/sms From NYIF?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.