Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,703 members, 7,802,094 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship (19572 Views)

Navy Admiral Daniel Ikoli Is Dead. He Was Found Dead In His Lagos Home / Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? / Faseun Brought Peace Between Ijaw , Yoruba, Says Egbesu Chief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:32pm On Dec 17, 2015
misterawo:

So what are you implying? East(Igbos) are your enemy? Have you forgotten so soon? Those who failed to study history are doomed to repeat the terrible mistakes of their forefathers. Lest I forget, intelligence is a terrible thing to waste.

BTW. . .
I think you are judging yourself. So saying things as they happened translate to 'enmity' in your own dictionary? Did I saw anything that is false?

10 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by coolitempa(f): 6:38pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Well, I still can't believe that a minority(Ijaw) will be supported by prominent Yorubamen in an election that involved fellow yorubamen in yorubaland.

But, I don't think only the Ijaws benefited from Awo. In Warri, Awolowo as Western region premier ensured that no group was cheated. If he wasn't magnanimous he would have done what other two regions did by turning their backs to the agitations of minorities in their regions.

Like I always maintain, we should ditch sentiment sometimes by giving credit and honor to whom it is due.

Very right. Awolowo's principal programs benefitted all the regions controlled by the then Action Group and as I understand it, the mid-west benefitted immensely. It always surprises me when I listen to what the haters like to spread which is that there is some animousity between yorubas and the SS minorities, a postulation which is not found in reality as in the case of ikoli by Awolowo, and Jonathan by Obasanjo until they fell out.

It is even more significant to point out the fact that people from the Niger-Delta have a much closer relationship with the yorubas and have lived very peacefully with us for years just like we have with them, until the recent migration from the south east, there has always been harmony in our relationship. The problem is the tribal hate of the core south easterners for everyone including themselves.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by papparatzzi2013: 6:39pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

I'll rather say there is something unique about Awo to support someone for a local election instead of his kinsman. I think the southern minorities are loyal to their benefactors and this has been working for us.

For instance, in Boro's memoir, he wrote lots of pleasant things towards Tafawa Balewa, Yakubu Gowon and the North...

Prof Tekene Tamuno, an Okrikan was appointed VC of University of Ibadan between 1975 and 79. Before then, he was a Head of Department and Dean of Faculty of the school. Imagine a school like UI having an Ijaw VC... In fact, he became 'yorubanised' and even married a Yorubawoman.

Professor David West is another Ijawman that doesn't joke with the yoruba-nation. This show of loyalty is very common with ethnic nationalities in the South.

Personally, I don't joke with ANY of my benefactors.

Tam David West is well known all over UI. He is an enigma on that campus.

Contrary to the believe of sons of bitterness, Yorubas are very detribalised and very accommodating, but they do not joke with their language and culture and they cannot condone any form.of insult.

They believe in one of yoruba's philosophy of live and let's live, until you proof yourself to be an enemy.

It may also interest you that many people usually cross the river Niger from the land of red mud to attend schools in Asaba, which was part of the old western region, for them to enjoy Awolowo's free education.

20 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by LadyExcellency: 6:44pm On Dec 17, 2015
I don't understand the analogy you want to establish from this op-ed.

Does your thesis has any relationship with the answer to the submission below?

Rochas Okorocha support for Buhari amounts to Imo State support for Buhari's presidency since Buhari defeated President Jonathan in the overall election.

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by princdebola201(m): 6:49pm On Dec 17, 2015
Thanks Op,never heard of the name okoli ...

Even ojukwu in his book said Awolowo was the Best president Nigeria never Had...

We should not be blindfolded by sentiment, or ethnicity

Obj is the reason why south south rise above south East in National politics in Nigeria today...the Emergence of GEJ as president of Nigeria is what south south Need to meet up with national politics, the Likes of

Adams oshiomole

God'swill akapbio

Rotimi Ameachi

Re polticians that can pull votes in North and South.compare to south east politicians..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by T8ksy(m): 6:49pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

If you read the midwest agitation, it preceded Awolowo. The agitation was not because Awalowo neglected the midwest ethnic nationalities, it was simply because the midwesterners wanted government closer to them... Till date, they remain the only people to have got their demand through referendum in an independent Nigeria.

There was an agreement between Awo, Zik & the sardunna that minorities in the 3 regions gets their own govt but once Awo was thrown in jail on trumped up charges by the coalition of the NPC & NCNC Govt, both Zik &the sardunna reneged on their agreement.

Also, ikoli's victory brought about the demise of the NYM as Zik screamed tribalism, leaving the party with his people in tow coupled with Akinsanya and his own supporters.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by papparatzzi2013: 6:57pm On Dec 17, 2015
T8ksy:

There was an agreement between Awo, Zik & the sardunna that minorities in the 3 regions gets their own govt but once Awo was thrown in jail on trumped up charges by the coalition of the NPC & NCNC Govt, both Zik &the sardunna reneged on their agreement.

Also, ikoli's victory brought about the demise of the NYM as Zik screamed tribalism, leaving the party with his people in tow coupled with Akinsanya and his own supporters.

It is on record that Western Region under Awolowo, is the only region in this country that allowed referendum and that implemented such.

Even the Israeli flag carrying people shouting secession never allowed the minorities in the region to have such a privilege.

19 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 17, 2015
Tonyebarcanista trying so hard to impress the Yoruba people ..,

Cool story

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by obayaya(m): 7:16pm On Dec 17, 2015
How's this different from Tinubu backing a northern Tambuwal against a fellow Yoruba as speaker in the HOR in 2011...

It's all politics..

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Herald47: 7:32pm On Dec 17, 2015
Yoruba,the ethnic group that initiated agbero politics in nigeria-sanusi
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by StuntingBlack(m): 7:42pm On Dec 17, 2015
Tonyebarcanista, you can try regurgitate some unconfirmed historical event about Ijaw-Yoruba political relationship all you like, it changes nothing. Lest you and I forget, a good taste of what may be of such union are tribal clashes that has occured btw the two tribes.

The Ondo-Arogbo saga
The Ijaw fracas in Lagos...
Yoruba marginalization in GEJ's hand

Face it man, nothing good can come out of such relationship. (BTW, I'll advice you throw ur mental energy into another thread. Yorubas wont fall for this very simple thing of yours, trust me. Try something much more superb and sophisticated. NO GRUDGES Bro).

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by EternalTruths: 7:54pm On Dec 17, 2015
princdebola201:
Thanks Op,never heard of the name okoli ...

Even ojukwu in his book said Awolowo was the Best president Nigeria never Had...

We should not be blindfolded by sentiment, or ethnicity

Obj is the reason why south south rise above south East in National politics in Nigeria today...the Emergence of GEJ as president of Nigeria is what south south Need to meet up with national politics, the Likes of

Adams oshiomole

God'swill akapbio

Rotimi Ameachi

Re polticians that can pull votes in North and South.compare to south east politicians..

TonyeBarcanista:

This is pure BADERASH sir!
OBJ brought GEJ, Ijaw nation and the South-South to national stage when the odds were against GEJ. They fell out so it was natural for Obj to jump ship. Beside, GEJ reneged on an agreement so it is a different issue.
On Ikoli, you probably just heard of him but Sir, Awo supported him TWICE not once. Awo didn't support him because he(Awo) wanted the position, he did out of pure love,loyalty and conviction. You can keep your own theory away. This is a very serious matter.
Beside, he died, he wasn't killed... Abi na Awo be him God to preserve him life? Bros abeg shift. Thanks

Why do you guys like rewriting history wrongly

The militancy is what prompted OBJ to recognized the SS and not any love for SS

The same OBJ said that no Ijaw man will ever rule Nigeria

As for your information

Midwest was created with the help of Azikwe and not Awo.

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by coolitempa(f): 8:01pm On Dec 17, 2015
StuntingBlack:
Tonyebarcanista, you can try regurgitate some unconfirmed historical event about Ijaw-Yoruba political relationship all you like, it changes nothing. Lest you and I forget, a good taste of what may be of such union are tribal clashes that has occured btw the two tribes.

The Ondo-Arogbo saga
The Ijaw fracas in Lagos...
Yoruba marginalization in GEJ's hand

Face it man, nothing good can come out of such relationship. (BTW, I'll advice you throw ur mental energy into another thread. Yorubas wont fall for this very simple thing of yours, trust me. Try something much more superb and sophisticated. NO GRUDGES Bro).

Let us be honest...the urhobos...ijaws...etc have always had a strong presence in Yorubaland without so much as anyone blinking an eye.....you cannot be more Yoruba than me and I can assure you that till date....I have never ever once heard any Yoruba hate on people of the SS.....the only problem is those people from the SE who hate everybody....

14 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by okolochyke: 8:02pm On Dec 17, 2015
Tonyebarcanista

Thanks for this article.

Yorubas are friendly and forward thinking. We treasure our friends and we always run an inclusive society. It is only in Yorubaland that a judge will rule against his fellow Yoruba against an Igbo or Ijaw man in terms of property rights etc.

I will not be surprised if an Ijaw man becomes a governor of a SW state in the near future. Remember that we have people that are Ijaws and also Yorubas, for e.g. Sowore the owner of SR is an Ijaw man and also Yoruba. We have historical ties that cant be broken

Yorubas conduct business with Ijaws in all aspects. We have issues now and again but there is mutual respect. It is unfortunate that a useless Ijaw man called GEJ allowed himself to be used against Yorubas but we are a pragmatic people and will not judge Ijaws on the actions of a dunce.

God bless Yorubaland

God bless Ijawland and God bless Nigeria

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:02pm On Dec 17, 2015
T8ksy:

Tribalism ke? Was Ikoli a yorubaman?
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by okolochyke: 8:04pm On Dec 17, 2015
Lemon12:
[s]Tonyebarcanista trying so hard to impress the Yoruba people ..,[/s]

Keep your emotions in check

Not all tribes are trouble makers

There are many forums for insults and for IPOB youths , go and find them.

We like building relationships here

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by vivalavida(m): 8:05pm On Dec 17, 2015
Your star on nairaland have dimmed.
This is just the sad truth.

Have a nice day

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by StuntingBlack(m): 8:10pm On Dec 17, 2015
coolitempa:

Let us be honest...the urhobos...ijaws...etc have always had a strong presence in Yorubaland without so much as anyone blinking an eye.....you cannot be more Yoruba than me and I can assure you that till date....I have never ever once heard any Yoruba hate on people of the SS.....the only problem is those people from the SE who hate everybody....

Dont get me wrong Sis. I cant detest Tonyebarcanista as an Ijaw. You and I both know we Yorubas far prefer SSers to those eastern urchins. What am just getting at is: Ijaw-Yoruba political union is not as rossy as Tonyebarcanista has painted it (not that I really support such poor relationship) . As for other SS groups, of course i cant debate that with you, Yorubas are fukin' close to SSers (like edos and co.)

2 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by misterawo: 8:12pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

I think you are judging yourself. So saying things as they happened translate to 'enmity' in your own dictionary? Did I saw anything that is false?

Oh shut up you simple.ton. Nothing annoys me more than seeing a charlatan act sage in the congregation of lightweights.

Southern Cameroon used to be part of Nigeria after the end of second world war and NCNC held sway there. Awolowo took the first shot at Zik by playing a role in the conduct of referendum and eventual breakup of the region. All these were aimed at shrinking NCNC sphere of influence. Zik responded by playing a role in the creation of the midwest. If you fail to acknowledge the role of NCNC operatives in the creation of midwest, sorry, you still have a lot to learn. Also, there were documented evidences of Yoruba domination of the minorities in the western house.

COR(Calabar-Ogoja-Rivers) movement is a disjointed group, unable to articulate their demand. Unlike the midwest movement that is disciplined, focused and filled with intellectuals and time-tested politicians.

The first successful referendum and secession in this country was done by the southern Cameroonians.

BTW, when are you porting back to APC?

8 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Ugomba(m): 8:16pm On Dec 17, 2015
So whats the point of this thread? Can someone tell me pls.
I read somewhere that the first mayor Of Enugu was a Fulani man.
So Tribal political relationship has been in existence right 4rm time.

2 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:18pm On Dec 17, 2015
EternalTruths:

Why do you guys like rewriting history wrongly

The militancy is what prompted OBJ to recognized the SS and not any love for SS

The same OBJ said that no Ijaw man will ever rule Nigeria

As for your information

Midwest was created with the help of Azikwe and not Awo.
Which Azikiwe? Let me school you on midwest...

As at that time, the law for creation of region was that the affected region(s) from which a region is to be created must give seal of approval. Then either of the two other regions will also give approval and the FG approval.

As at the time, their was agitation in Eastern region because Rivers state and Cross river wanted a region of their own as we saw no business being in the eastern region created by the british with fiat. There was another in the middle belt calling for a separate region from Hausa/fulani dominated Northern region. Both the Eastern region and the Northern region turned their backs against their respective agitators but okayed that of the Western region to break the political clout of Awo and AG. The Northern region also SUPPORTED the agitation for Cross river and Rivers. So NCNC support for Midwest was for their own politics. Zik never championed it, Oba of Benin did.

On OBJ, he decided SS for VP because he thought that it was fair for minorities to climb up. This privilege we never had in eastern region. You can check. If Obj hadn't support GEJ, he wouldn't have even been considered by Nigeria.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by StuntingBlack(m): 8:22pm On Dec 17, 2015
misterawo:

Oh shut up you simple.ton. Nothing annoys me more than seeing a charlatan act sage in the congregation of lightweights.

Cameroon used to be part of Nigeria after the end of second world war and NCNC held sway there. Awolowo took the first shot at Zik by playing a role in the conduct of referendum and eventual breakup of the region. All these were aimed at shrinking NCNC sphere of influence. Zik responded by playing a role in the creation of the midwest. If you fail to acknowledge the role of NCNC in the creation of midwest, sorry, you still have a lot to learn. Also, there were documented evidences of Yoruba domination of the minorities in the western house.

COR(Calabar-Ogoja-Rivers) movement is a disjointed group, unable to articulate their demand. Unlike the midwest movement that is disciplined, focused and filled with intellectuals and time-tested politicians.

When in history has Cameroon ever been together with Nigeria?.. Oh boy, is this Aba-made history or what?

You these things will never stop these hilarious acts of stupidity of yours.!!

5 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:23pm On Dec 17, 2015
StuntingBlack:

Dont get me wrong Sis. I cant detest Tonyebarcanista as an Ijaw. You and I both know we Yorubas far prefer SSers to those eastern urchins. What am just getting at is: Ijaw-Yoruba political union is not as rossy as Tonyebarcanista has painted it (not that I really support such poor relationship) . As for other SS groups, of course i cant debate that with you, Yorubas are fukin' close to SSers (like edos and co.)
No relationship is rossy. There is always rough edges but does the ijaws have any animosity against the yorubas? The answer is NO! Not even the fulanis does the Ijaws have any animosity against. This thread is to appreciate event of the past and further a smoother relationship.

PS: No Ijawman have anything against Awo. FACT!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Ugomba(m): 8:27pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Which Azikiwe? Let me school you on midwest...

As at that time, the law for creation of region was that the affected region(s) from which a region is to be created must give seal of approval. Then either of the two other regions will also give approval and the FG approval.

As at the time, their was agitation in Eastern region because Rivers state and Cross river wanted a region of their own as we saw no business being in the eastern region created by the british with fiat. There was another in the middle belt calling for a separate region from Hausa/fulani dominated Northern region. Both the Eastern region and the Northern region turned their backs against their respective agitators but okayed that of the Western region to break the political clout of Awo and AG. The Northern region also SUPPORTED the agitation for Cross river and Rivers. So NCNC support for Midwest was for their own politics. Zik never championed it, Oba of Benin did.

On OBJ, he decided SS for VP because he thought that it was fair for minorities to climb up. This privilege we never had in eastern region. You can check. If Obj hadn't support GEJ, he wouldn't have even been considered by Nigeria.
GEJ was appointed as VP aspirant in 2007 by PDP because Igbos were promised the PDP mandate in 2015 after yaradua, so choosing an Ijaw man ahead of Odili as Yaradua VP was for equality and fairness which the Igbo PDP chieftains agreed.
I know that very well.

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by coolscott(m): 8:27pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Lol, forget the length of the epistle and focus on the 'epistle'. Lol...

Cc IzonOwei, Talktimi, Coolscott, Kel4soft

published

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by misterawo: 8:30pm On Dec 17, 2015
StuntingBlack:

When in history has Cameroon ever been together with Nigeria?.. Oh boy, is this Aba-made history or what?

Another simple.ton on the loose. Where should I start? Go and play with your mates. You are not worth my time.
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by EternalTruths: 8:34pm On Dec 17, 2015
misterawo:

Cameroon used to be part of Nigeria after the end of second world war and NCNC held sway there. Awolowo took the first shot at Zik by playing a role in the conduct of referendum and eventual breakup of the region. All these were aimed at shrinking NCNC sphere of influence. Zik responded by playing a role in the creation of the midwest. If you fail to acknowledge the role of NCNC operatives in the creation of midwest, sorry, you still have a lot to learn. Also, there were documented evidences of Yoruba domination of the minorities in the western house.

The first successful referendum and secession in this country was done by the Cameroonians.

Thank you

To buttress your point further

ODI is an Ijaw town destroyed by OBJ

Tonyebarcanista should tell us which ethnic group do OBJ belong to and if an Igbo president will ever do such

2 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:34pm On Dec 17, 2015
misterawo:

Cameroon used to be part of Nigeria after the end of second world war and NCNC held sway there. Awolowo took the first shot at Zik by playing a role in the conduct of referendum and eventual breakup of the region. All these were aimed at shrinking NCNC sphere of influence. Zik responded by playing a role in the creation of the midwest. If you fail to acknowledge the role of NCNC operatives in the creation of midwest, sorry, you still have a lot to learn. Also, there were documented evidences of Yoruba domination of the minorities in the western house.

The first successful referendum and secession in this country was done by the Cameroonians.

You should learn to make use of google.

1. It wasn't Awo that called for referendum in the Cameroons, it was Andrew Cohen, a British man that opposed Camaroons being part of Nigeria which led to the referendum.

2. The referendum was held in 1961 when Zik was the ceremonial Governor-General and not Premier.

3. The referendum was held in both Northern (Present day Adamawa state) and Southern Cameroon. The latter chose to be part of Cameroon while the former decided on Nigeria.

4. The NCNC supported Midwest to decimate Awo's political power but refused to grant C-O-R.

5. It is very silly to say COR agitation was disjointed. In fact, Awo and Balewa supported it but the eastern region wouldn't let go. Well, thank God we finally got our region through Awo and Gowon.

13 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by EternalTruths: 8:35pm On Dec 17, 2015
StuntingBlack:

Go back to secondary school and study the history of southern Cameroon
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by StuntingBlack(m): 8:39pm On Dec 17, 2015
misterawo:

Another simple.ton on the loose. Where should I start? Go and play with your mates. You are not worth my time.

You must be a naturally endowed fool boy. Why not admit your mistake rather than insult. Even a 5 year will be dissapointed seeing a grown-up like you spew such balderdash. Tell us in history when Cameroun and Nigeria had ever been together or mute up ur rusting mouth. Its that simple gizzo.!!

3 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by misterawo: 8:39pm On Dec 17, 2015
Did I say that Awo called for referendum? Do you have problem with comprehension? I said that Awo supported referendum. I would have posted quotes and link if time permits. I am typing with my phone.

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Ugomba(m): 8:41pm On Dec 17, 2015
StuntingBlack:

You must be a naturally endowed fool boy. Why not admit your mistake rather than insult. Even a 5 year will be dissapointed seeing a grown-up like you spew such balderdash. Tell us in history when Cameroun and Nigeria had ever been together or mute up ur rusting mouth. Its that simple gizzo.!!
easy. Hahahahaha. I was shocked when I saw that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

FG Appoints 5 New Directors, General Manager For NCAA / No Crime In Foreigners Joining Political Campaigns In Nigeria – Ribadu / Count The Cost: How Is The Posponement Of Election Affecting You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.