Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,838 members, 7,802,689 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:52 PM

1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court (28655 Views)

N1.04trn Fine: We Expect No Operation Disruptions For Not Paying Fine —MTN / MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court Over Fine / NCC Moves To Deactivate MTN Subscribers Over Refusal To Pay N1.4trn Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by mbhs139(m): 7:49pm On Dec 17, 2015
the parties are enjoined to restrain from taking further action until the matter is finally determined.This is consistent with previous judicial decisions in Nigeria.

Notwithstanding this action, the Company will continue to engage with the Nigerian Authorities to try and ensure an amicable resolution in the best interests of the Company, its stakeholders and the Nigerian Authorities

cc: lalasticlala

When you take the two bold part together, isn't that a contradiction and like wanting to eat your cake and have it back?
1. the parties are enjoined to restrain from taking further action until the matter is finally determined
2. Notwithstanding this action, the Company will continue to engage with the Nigerian Authorities to try and ensure an amicable resolution

...and yet you have gone to court...?

I think lawyers, because of what they will eat are the problems of this world. Why not exhaust the 2nd option before going to court.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by iceberryose(m): 7:50pm On Dec 17, 2015
Emptyhen!!!

Just give us free data till rapture we may forget about the fine.
How una see am? At least rapture nor far again
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by TOEZOFFICIAL(m): 7:50pm On Dec 17, 2015
$3.9b no de here nah...I'll do same if na me...

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by lovley1: 7:50pm On Dec 17, 2015
Ok
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by jamex93(m): 7:50pm On Dec 17, 2015
Time to port to Glo
cant affor to loss this number
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by iceberylin(m): 7:50pm On Dec 17, 2015
Fighting a Govt with its Govt. grin
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Ijaya123: 7:51pm On Dec 17, 2015
Where is the boldness coming from?

2 Likes

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by AfroKnight: 7:51pm On Dec 17, 2015
Aitete mole....
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by LANRYUS(m): 7:53pm On Dec 17, 2015
Why didn't they seek court redress before the deadline date, NCC should seal off their office for now until court injunction.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Nobody: 7:53pm On Dec 17, 2015
Some lazy lawyers just want to scoop small money from mtn for court case. Wrong move if you ask. Call 08035034841 for your change of name in Guardian newspaper if you have bvn issues or just married.

2 Likes

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by omogin(f): 7:53pm On Dec 17, 2015
They know Nigeria is run by awesome politicians. Lol... They can do anything they want with Nigeria and nothing will happen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by omogin(f): 7:54pm On Dec 17, 2015
Ijaya123:
Where is the boldness coming from?
APC has collected money behind
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by manie(m): 7:55pm On Dec 17, 2015
bigass:

This fine needs to be increased and competition laws strengthened
Compound Interest of 15% per annum should be charged on the fine.

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by tammie24: 7:56pm On Dec 17, 2015
Na to port sure pass
before they finally deport the modaf+ckers
i no fit shout
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Orikinla(m): 7:56pm On Dec 17, 2015
I may migrate to Airtel and ask other MTN subscribers to do so in view of what MTN is now doing in total abuse of the legal laws of the NCC.

2 Likes

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by wristbangle: 7:57pm On Dec 17, 2015
Keneking:
Where is lalasticlala sef undecided

Dem suppose to award u as the moniker of the year that loves calling lalas name always. grin grin

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by HAH: 7:58pm On Dec 17, 2015
tinsel:
They know that the Nigerian courts are for the highest bidder, so they want to exploit that angle.

You are very right or they are going to buy time in court by having long adjournment till the case stays for many years and all the euphoria about the fine dies, trust our judiciary many judges will be willing to play that role for 0.001% of the fine
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Sanchez01: 7:58pm On Dec 17, 2015
MTN should leave Nigeria if they cannot adhere to our rules and regulations. Funny how the law is everyone's haven when they have flouted rules they're not supposed to mess with.

I'm sure the judge they want to take their case to will consider himself a Nigerian before any other thing. It's quite unfortunate that an organisation milk and sometimes illegally extort Nigerians under the guise of illegal subscriptions and would in turn threaten to fight back when they have been penalized after flouting a simple rule.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by tete7000(m): 7:58pm On Dec 17, 2015
bigass:

Who do you thinks stand to loose more if the company goes under? MTN or Nigeria? We say there are no job, the govt is bent on sending one of the few remaining job providers to the gallow. Na wa for this clueless govt. One of the cardinal point in justice is that punishment and offence must be commensurate. You believe a company should be given a trillion naira fine. For what offence and what is the worth of the company itself? Do you believe the company will continue to survive after paying such outrageous fine?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Nobody: 7:58pm On Dec 17, 2015
Chelsea's official statement on Mourinho sacking
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by wristbangle: 7:58pm On Dec 17, 2015
jamex93:
Time to port to Glo

cant affor to loss this number

Am rocking glo already. It's high time MTN left Nigeria. smiley smiley. Their thief thief too much.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by MrDavidson: 7:59pm On Dec 17, 2015
Yes, that's good. But they should remember that NCC will table before the court the document issued to all of you telecoms operators since 2012 where you were warned that failure to disconnect any unregistered line is an invitation for a fine of N200,000 per line. Now multiply that by 5.1mn lines you people fraudulently refused to deactivate thinking it was business as usual. That gives over 1 trillion naira - appropriate fine; it wasn't just conjured up overnight. Anyway, with Christ-like compassion, I'm hoping they allow you people to pay the fine over a 10-year period. God bless Nigeria!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Ijaya123: 8:00pm On Dec 17, 2015
omogin:

APC has collected money behind

Who is APC?
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 17, 2015
Chelsea's has saked Jose Mourinho , take note ples
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Nobody: 8:01pm On Dec 17, 2015
Chelsea' saked Jose Mourinho
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by kingping(m): 8:03pm On Dec 17, 2015
bigass:

I want MTN out my country. I hate the Name

And ur ready to provide jobs to over 55 thousand people that depend on them to sustain their families?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Lorimi(m): 8:04pm On Dec 17, 2015
let them feel the pain of their dubious act to the customers toooo....#ntooooooor :Plet them feel the pain of their dubious act to the customers toooo....#ntooooooor
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Crieff(m): 8:04pm On Dec 17, 2015
bigass:

Bigass, I love you!!!

Edited
If they choose to go ahead with this course of action, the MTN operation should be shut down by December 31 and throughout the duration of the action otherwise they pay the fine before the deadline and go ahead with their action.

What insolence!!!

3 Likes

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by ApexTitan(m): 8:06pm On Dec 17, 2015
I was almost certain MTN, or any other company in the world for that matter, would not agree to pay such a huge fine unchallenged.

Even though MTN should be penalized for violating NCC's regulations this fine is ridiculous and not proportionate with the infraction.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by miqos02(m): 8:08pm On Dec 17, 2015
ok
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Dhotseal(m): 8:09pm On Dec 17, 2015
papparatzzi2013:
It's not their fault.

If NCC had closed them down, they won't be here talking in Zulu.

Were they blind when they were signing the agreement? NCC only implemented what they signed.

The lawyer must be dumb.

Their lines were being used by terrorists, kidnappers and other criminals for fun, despite several warnings from NCC, putting out national security at risk.

NCC should double their fine.

U need some urgent brain surgery to correct your malignant stupidity

Isn't it lawful for a person to turn to the courts to adjudicate where it is deemed necessary. Unlike u, I am surprised MTN waited this long to go to court to challenge the fine.

I think as a matter of urgency, idiots should not be allowed to make comments on important topics like this.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by lanrei(m): 8:11pm On Dec 17, 2015
MTN please don't out of vex and frustration block my line ooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Would Be Your Business Plan If You Had The Necessary Capital? / CBN Signals End To Official Rate Regime For Naira / Fire Razes Auto Spare Parts Market In Ibadan (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.