Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,854 members, 7,802,739 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:28 PM

1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court (28656 Views)

N1.04trn Fine: We Expect No Operation Disruptions For Not Paying Fine —MTN / MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court Over Fine / NCC Moves To Deactivate MTN Subscribers Over Refusal To Pay N1.4trn Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by menxer: 9:18pm On Dec 17, 2015
OohLalah:
Good move Mr Putuma Nhleko, Sir! Now let the games begin.

NOW! MTN should make sure the court case attracts major publicity internationally, it will definitely have a huge negative impact on Nigeria. Investors will run.

I knew MTN would not take this lying down. cheesy

Why would investors run?

NCC is only implementing an agreement all telcos signed.

The negative impact is likely to be on mtn for failing to keep its part of the agreement.

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by docadams: 9:19pm On Dec 17, 2015
gunners160:
Na dis kind topic dey sweet to read but instead of dem imposing 1.4 tri on Mtn they should just tell Mtn to give NIGERIANS free kalling and free browsing for 1year. HOW UNA C HAM

Hmmmmmmm

How will you use the free bonus? Call your babe and badoo for more babes to call freely? No. I think fine is way better.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by JuanDeDios: 9:32pm On Dec 17, 2015
cramjones:
Then we should expell MTN from Nigeria! Simple! If you must operate in a country you must follow their rules. Who is MTN? We have many other companies that want their customer base so bad! PMB expell these people, they have plundered Nigeria for so long!

-CramJones
There are rules and procedure to things.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by ZACHIE: 9:34pm On Dec 17, 2015
MTN does not have succor kept in store.

Going to court is ill advised.

Buhari no send them.

Who go lose eventually? MTN .

Who go gain? Etisalat

Who
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by IbokUtoroh(m): 9:39pm On Dec 17, 2015
cramjones:
Then we should expell MTN from Nigeria! Simple! If you must operate in a country you must follow their rules. Who is MTN? We have many other companies that want their customer base so bad! PMB expell these people, they have plundered Nigeria for so long!

-CramJones

bros i hope say na me go win that 500dolls sorry na 50 i want from it so it can go round those who also need it.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Reptyle(m): 9:43pm On Dec 17, 2015
Finally someone at MTN has put on their thinking caps!!!

I was wondering when they would plead their case before the courts instead of begging up and down.

Hate them or like them, MTN is responsible for the bread and butter of thousands of Nigerians either as direct employees or trade partners.

They may have committed an offence but that punishment was simply ridiculous. That fine is capable of putting them out of business. Then what happens to all of the Nigerians that draw value from them?

I pray they get the much needed relief from the courts.

7 Likes

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by whizkid10(m): 9:55pm On Dec 17, 2015
This robbers should just leave our country!
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by sagieramos(m): 10:00pm On Dec 17, 2015
ncc, abeg mah nah reduce d fine, e too much
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by lalasticlala(m): 10:10pm On Dec 17, 2015
wristbangle:

Dem suppose to award u as the moniker of the year that loves calling lalas name always. grin grin
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Bamz(m): 10:14pm On Dec 17, 2015
mbulela:

You are a wicked girl

LOL you're either a Southie, an MTN staff, or all of the above.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by isnovic(m): 10:19pm On Dec 17, 2015
They should simply suspend their licence pending the determination of the case in court as they cannot be enjoying the benefits of infractions.
When losses hit them they take the fine seriously.
Like I don't get.
Did they return the botched arms money....no.
Did they offer apologies for the death record in the xenophobic attack on Nigeria...No.
I blame the new minister who was quick to give them a breather like someone whose anus is being fingered.

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Ramos16(m): 10:22pm On Dec 17, 2015
redsconsult:
more reason we should allow poo to fester on us ...guy na oja oyingbo....free entry free exist...

That is why at the end of my statement I say "we should know how we handle the ones we have". You don't ask for ridiculous amount and not expect eye brows to be raised.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by redsconsult(m): 10:27pm On Dec 17, 2015
Ramos16:

That is why at the end of my statement I say "we should know how we handle the ones we have". You don't ask for ridiculous amount and not expect eye brows to be raised.
nigeria did not ask for any ridiculus amt. it was arrived from the numbers of line unregistered by mtn and a particular agreed to be paid with all stake holders duly signed ..

heaven will not come down if mtn cease to exist

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Ramos16(m): 10:30pm On Dec 17, 2015
redsconsult:
nigeria did not ask for any ridiculus amt. it was arrived from the numbers of line unregistered by mtn and a particular agreed to be paid with all stake holders duly signed ..

heaven will not come down if mtn cease to exist

I know how the amount was come about, what I am saying is that the amount surmounted to a very large sum, hence considerations should be given, considering that MTN may likely run out of business if they pay that amount;
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by eltweezy90(m): 10:31pm On Dec 17, 2015
mbulela:
You are a wicked girl
How she take wicked? Make Mtn even put Jara add sef.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by ransomed: 10:37pm On Dec 17, 2015
Withdraw their operating licence asap and let the music be loud for other operators to feast on. Empty N indeed.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by bankylan: 10:45pm On Dec 17, 2015
While I want foreign companies operating in Nigeria to abide by rules...any fines levied against any company must be fair and never to be seen as a way of filling fiscal gaps as in the case of mtn...We are scaring foreign investors away knowing fully well that our country like any other African nation does not have and is not ready to develop the capacity for a knowledge based and technology based economy. We are consumers!
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by segun359(m): 11:01pm On Dec 17, 2015
I swear e no go better for MTN if dem no pay that fine. ....what sort of rubbish is that? Even after they reduced the fine
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by papparatzzi2013: 11:03pm On Dec 17, 2015
Dhotseal:

U need some urgent brain surgery to correct your malignant stupidity

Isn't it lawful for a person to turn to the courts to adjudicate where it is deemed necessary. Unlike u, I am surprised MTN waited this long to go to court to challenge the fine.

I think as a matter of urgency, idiots should not be allowed to make comments on important topics like this.

Human beings are talking, this South African bingo too is showing up.

Mor0n.

2 Likes

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by nastyesco(m): 11:35pm On Dec 17, 2015
A good move from MTN

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by zyclef(m): 11:50pm On Dec 17, 2015
Fine or no fine mtn provides source of income for Nigerians if ncc don't want them in the country again let them open up instead of giving them a business end-time fine to pay you dont expect them to just block customers like that no be so them dey run business but in the same Nigeria are some stupid folks who will tell you they dont know that they are doing BVN(instance of a graduate I enrolled at access bank) so some people will still decide not to go and register. Nigerians dont care about the line if them block am I go buy another mtn or another network that our mentality I pity some freaked whoopy ass dude here in nairaland who shout and say mtn should leave I wonder how you will get to change the mobile number you dropped at the point of interview if atall you passed and you need to be called to come pick your appointment later Nigerians be wise this is also an act of war chase them and dey chase Nigerian businesses in there country too and even chase student abeg war never start? let think and change our mentality torwards one another not by kitikiti PEACE
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by femifemo123: 11:57pm On Dec 17, 2015
Smart move from MTN grin they know our judicial system is nothing is very bad grin
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Bgorgeous: 12:19am On Dec 18, 2015
Which court? In Naija here? Una go pay by fire , after cheating Nigerian
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by SKYQUEST(m): 12:30am On Dec 18, 2015
It is terrible what hatred can do to your person. Because some people hated MTN they wish the operating liscence should be withdrawn or the company driven out of Nigeria. Do these people ever think? Do you realise what the ripple effect will be on Nigeria economy and already tensed labour market if a company like MTN goes down? The same set of people will come back and tell tale of how hard the country is. If MTN has not kept to the rule of engagement it should be sanctioned but not the kind of sanction that will kill the company. You are talking of a fine that is as much as 25% of the country's annual budget , which Nigerian company can survive that kind of hammer. People should learn to seperate emotions from reality.

3 Likes

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Elythron16zero4: 1:37am On Dec 18, 2015
mbulela:

You are a wicked girl
MTN STAFF
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by 2sex(m): 3:11am On Dec 18, 2015
ApexTitan:
I was almost certain MTN, or any other company in the world for that matter, would not agree to pay such a huge fine unchallenged.

Even though MTN should be penalized for violating NCC's regulations this fine is ridiculous and not proportionate with the infraction.
what's wrong with you people? Do you know how much people pay in develop world's?

Go figure
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Ahmeduana(m): 4:58am On Dec 18, 2015
mbulela:
Below is the communique sent to MTN staff and share holders.

http://www.techcentral.co.za/mtn-takes-nigerian-authorities-to-court/62146/

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/n1-4trn-fine-mtn-refuses-to-pay-challenges-ncc-in-court/
APC GOVERMENT DON COLLAPSE, MAKE UNA REDUCT 3.8BILLION DOLLARS COMMOT FROM 6TRILLION NAIRA BUDGET NA HOW MUCH REMAIN na part of the money wey apc rely on to finance 2016 budget.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by mbhs139(m): 7:00am On Dec 18, 2015
Dhotseal:

And your point is?

Didn't you read the part where I said they should have exhausted the second option before resulting to court action?
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by rman: 7:11am On Dec 18, 2015
Their is a big difference between unregistered lines and improper registration. The lines were registered, NCC only claimed the registration wasn't done properly. The ncc law says register and the penalty applies for unregistered line not improper registration.

Technically, MTN has a very strong case in their favour.

2 Likes

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Billygee2u: 7:44am On Dec 18, 2015
does it mean that Nigeria is really a zoo that Buhari called it ,by labeling the citizens dogs and baboons?
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by ApexTitan(m): 8:22am On Dec 18, 2015
2sex:
what's wrong with you people? Do you know how much people pay in develop world's?

Go figure

How much do people pay in the "developed" world?

The NCC's fine is the largest any company in the world has been told to pay. All the oil spills in the Niger Delta, a much graver infraction, have never drawn such a huge fine so why should unregistered SIM cards be punished more?

Every punitive measure should be in line with the violation it seeks to address, that's a basic requirement of fairness and justice.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by owumzy(m): 9:21am On Dec 18, 2015
I this not same MTN from xenophobic South-Africa?
They want to be negotiating and at the same time drag FG to court
We still remember very well how they started biz in Nigeria exploiting even unborn babies through 'per minute billing'
hmmmmm...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Would Be Your Business Plan If You Had The Necessary Capital? / CBN Signals End To Official Rate Regime For Naira / Fire Razes Auto Spare Parts Market In Ibadan (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.