Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,750 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Saddest Books Read? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Saddest Books Read? (2794 Views)

Story Of Sylvestar Stallone(rocky) One Of The SADDEST Stories Ever Told In Holly / Top Three Fiction Or Non-fiction Books Read / The Saddest Truth You Need To Succeed In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saddest Books Read? by sexyLeamon(f): 1:05pm On Jun 07, 2009
Hello all, I apologize if this topic has been posted already.  What are the saddest novels you've read?
I have read some terribly sad books like a child called it, a teenager jouney, My Sister's Keeper One Hundred Years of Solitude The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank, Where the Red Fern Grows, but the saddest of all have been, it happened to nancy man that book was sad I mean really depressing
Re: Saddest Books Read? by DisGuy: 1:07pm On Jun 07, 2009
do you specifically pick out sad books or you just stumble on them? undecided
books affect my mood, so i make sure i read reviews before picking them up
don't want my mood swing to get worse!

heard UGLY is a very sad book too
Re: Saddest Books Read? by sexyLeamon(f): 1:10pm On Jun 07, 2009
Dis Guy:

do you specifically pick out sad books or you just stumble on them? undecided
lol very funny I read all sort of books yes sometimes I pick up the sad ones because sad books usually have great lesson in it to learn from
Re: Saddest Books Read? by SisiJinx: 4:28pm On Jun 07, 2009
For me it is VC Andrews' Dollanganger Series, especially FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC. I weep buckets every time I get to the part where Cory dies cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Saddest Books Read? by tubabie(f): 4:37pm On Jun 07, 2009
Hmmm i have read quite a number of sad books but cant really say which is the saddest but i give the saddest author to Danielle Steele. Most of her books twist my insides with sadness. sad
Re: Saddest Books Read? by spikedcylinder: 4:54pm On Jun 07, 2009
I agree, Flowers in the Attic was so sad. embarassed

When I was a bit more faint hearted, Message From Nam by Danielle Steele got me wailing too. grin
Re: Saddest Books Read? by blissfullynaughty: 5:15pm On Jun 07, 2009
I remember that as a teenager, books by Danielle Steele were mostly tearjerkers.

One of the books that evoked strong emotions in me was Lynda La Plante's "Entwined" about the lives and ordeals 2 women (identical twins) suffered as children in a Nazi concentration camp. I read this book almost 15 years ago and I still remember it vividly. It was a profound book and I will recommend it to everyone.

I am not a La Plante fan and this is [I believe] the only book of hers that I have read. Also, it has been said that this book deviates substantially from her usual writing style and genre. I guess it was something she felt she had to write.
Re: Saddest Books Read? by chiogo(f): 1:07am On Jun 08, 2009
Push by Sapphire but then I didn't finish it.
Re: Saddest Books Read? by Ubiero(f): 12:03pm On Jun 08, 2009
Get all the old Danielle Steel novels,i can promise you that you'll cry from the beginning to the end.
Re: Saddest Books Read? by Suzanne84(f): 5:40pm On Jun 08, 2009
Let's see:
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult is kind of sad too. Used to read Danielle Steel when i was younger, i've given up on her though. She took a blood oath with misery grin
Re: Saddest Books Read? by jidobaba(m): 7:05pm On Jun 08, 2009
Fiction has never been able to really sadden me- for the one obvious reason.
'Angela's Ashes' by frank mcCourt. some bits were
Re: Saddest Books Read? by jidobaba(m): 7:14pm On Jun 08, 2009
How could I forget,
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
yeah its fiction, but till now- i was maybe 13 when i read it -thinking bout the book casts a pall.
Where is my man Ichabod crane?
Re: Saddest Books Read? by SeanT21(f): 6:38am On Jun 09, 2009
Black Boy by Richard Wright.
Re: Saddest Books Read? by mohawkchic(f): 7:30pm On Jun 09, 2009
~Prolly Diary Of Anne Frank. . i dont like reading Sad Stories much!
Re: Saddest Books Read? by oyinda3(f): 3:00am On Jun 11, 2009
Suzanne84:

Let's see:
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult is kind of sad too. Used to read Danielle Steel when i was younger, i've given up on her though. She took a blood oath with misery grin

Lovely Bones and My Sister's Keeper were quite sad sad.

Khaled Hosseini's first book, the kite runner was also a sad book. I haven't gotten around reading thousand splendid suns yet but i bet it'll be a really good book.
Re: Saddest Books Read? by jumoke90(f): 4:55pm On Jun 11, 2009
message from Nam and flowers in the Attic.
Re: Saddest Books Read? by BobiJoe: 1:48pm On Jun 12, 2009
1 Flowers in the Attic( V.C.Andrews) - 4 children are locked up in an attic by their grandma with the consent of their mother.

2 Malice(Danielle Steel) - A girl suffers sexual abuse from her father for years.

3 The keeper of the walls(Monique Raphel High) - Sufferings of the Jews under Nazi rule.
Re: Saddest Books Read? by iice(f): 9:18am On Jul 01, 2009
Flowers in the Attic.

Yeah the kite runner is also a bit sad.
Re: Saddest Books Read? by jeythunder(m): 10:21am On Jul 01, 2009
I think lord of the flies did the trick. Hey, apart from that, a tale of two cities had it coming too.
Re: Saddest Books Read? by AyoB(f): 1:45pm On Jul 01, 2009
wel, i ve read countless sad books but d one i can readily remember n wich s'prised me is Dean Koontz, 'the golden retreiver' cheers!
Re: Saddest Books Read? by Suzanne84(f): 8:15pm On Jul 01, 2009
oyinda.:

Lovely Bones and My Sister's Keeper were quite sad sad.

Khaled Hosseini's first book, the kite runner was also a sad book. I haven't gotten around reading thousand splendid suns yet but i bet it'll be a really good book.

You're right. The Kite Runner is sad. But A Thousand Splendid Suns is even better - sadder, i mean  wink
Re: Saddest Books Read? by luvbooks(f): 10:38pm On Jul 09, 2009
The saddest book I ever read is My Sweet Audrina, written by V.C Andrews. That book is terrific and yet, so haunting.
Re: Saddest Books Read? by Theflint1(m): 10:55pm On May 09, 2013
les misrerables by victor hugo, especially where jean val jean died, I cried buckets, infact thinking of it now ìs bringing tears out...

...jst kiddin
Re: Saddest Books Read? by taraji5: 2:01am On Sep 02, 2014
The saddest book I've read is Sidney Sheldon's Rage of Angels and aalsoDanielle Steele's kaleidoscope. Could I please get some good sites to download eBooks? Mucho gracias!
Re: Saddest Books Read? by usermane(m): 5:15pm On Aug 16, 2015
"The River Between" pass as the most depressing book I ever read. It is the only book that left me sympathetic for the protagonist.

(1) (Reply)

Uche Nworah And Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Shine In Abuja And Lagos / I Want To Publish My Novel / Love Is Bitter, Seex Is Sweet - A Story By Naijapara Films

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.