Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,855 members, 7,806,416 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? (56412 Views)

How To Make Money Drop Shipping/importing From Nigeria Without Capital / Which Other Business Can You Do Than Buying Real Estate / China To Start Importing From Nigeria - Emefiele, CBN Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by iMerchant: 12:45am On Dec 28, 2015
phonesNgadgets:
Though I ship from US, but I believe I can still make a resourceful contribution.

For those of you who import from China, you will duff your hat,cap abi na beret you wear grin when you hear how much it costs us to import from US/Canada & Europe, if you are a mini-importer. In most cases, our selling prices are higher than those importing from China; but on a personal note, there is a way I go about it, which makes my prices be on the same level or even lower to that of China importers, and with added advantage of superior quality smiley.

One thing is that I import high quality products ( Even those that were made in China meet US quality control standard) which gives me the confidence to add mark-up profit to my cost price and those who need the good won't resist it.

Secondly, I try as much as possible to import a lot of different goods at a time (even those things I need personally) to absorb the shipping fee. For instance if I buy footwear, watches, shirts; I may also buy radio,mini-speakers etc which have lesser weight and are lower in price. By the time the shipping fee is spread on all these items, the cost becomes lesser, which makes the unit prices of each good lesser to the local price or on a par.

Thirdly, I take my time to watch out for deal&offers on the websites I buy from. This gives me the advantage of buying quality products at a very good price. Bro, if no be dem shipping charges, customs duties and GTBank exchange rate, I for don acquire my own plot of land for Eko Atlantic City cheesy In this our importation biz.

But I bless Jah! smiley We are doing fine. If I ain't doing fine, I won't get a local investor who has never met me face-to-face; and yet believed in my dream and invested in my business. This same importation business of course!

On a last note, I lay emphasis on the quality of the goods and the country of origin, which actually gives an edge.

Big Boss, your boy they hail oooo.

How business, hope the ministry is moving forward.

Please preach it to the op jare. Quality products lead to sustainable business because when your customer are happy with their order, only then will they come back to buy now and even refer friends to shop from you.

If your customers never come back to buy more because their friend or family steal the previous one they bought from him, he his not in business yet.

I dove my hat. Make I quickly go attend to customer jare.

2 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by iMerchant: 12:52am On Dec 28, 2015
skentelelady:
As for me I don't pay for shipping and my goods come in thru dhl

I ensure I buy an amount that qualifies for free express shipping by seller

The reason I don't buy in Lagos is because all their items are common due to mass production. When u buy from china, buy what isn't common that when u bring in to sell u can add more money since people will see Ur things being different and unique.

Make I begin to become your stalker on Nairaland whenever am opportune to visit this forum.

How are you doing and business? You are one of those sheath business person on nairaland. I will like to know more about your business. Please when you are opportune kindly PM your little brother.

Thanks Ma
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by kennyman2000(m): 1:23am On Dec 28, 2015
Let me contribute my own quota to this thread.

One of the most success determinant factor in making it in importation biz is for you to sell unique things.. Things customer cant easily come by.

I know of a woman that sells clothes on konga, she had to stop selling clothes and started selling something else cos she buys in lagos and the quality was so bad that customer would call on phone and abused her as some dont have the time of returning the item. Aside, since konga now displayed your phone no on your store page. Customers easily call her and price her goods, telling her, if she could reduce price they'll buy cos the items sells for so so so amount elsewhere.

Lastly, quality matters alot. Most importers that buys online is due to the other customers reviews that he or she has seen. That will give you confidence that, you're buying something quality and not buying in lagos where you see nobody to ascertain the quallity for you.

Once again, quality matters alot in this biz.

2 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by phonesNgadgets: 2:25am On Dec 28, 2015
iMerchant:

Big Boss, your boy they hail oooo.

How business, hope the ministry is moving forward.

Please preach it to the op jare. Quality products lead to sustainable business because when your customer are happy with their order, only then will they come back to buy now and even refer friends to shop from you.

If your customers never come back to buy more because their friend or family steal the previous one they bought from him, he his not in business yet.

I dove my hat. Make I quickly go attend to customer jare.
My Oga, I remain humble and loyal sir. I thank God, business is expanding and moving forward. How your side too?

Yes bro, they need to realize that there are a lot of people out there who will pay through their nose to get quality goods;owing to their past experience with sub-standard/low quality goods.

Quality things comes with their price, but it gives both seller and buyer rest of mind. smiley
Boss, we are moving to greater heights come 2016. ( God willing)
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by muhammed001(m): 9:01am On Dec 29, 2015
iMerchant:

You have raised a valid point but my challenges with most people especially those who start importation business after buying ebooks from someone who never practice the business they preach is lack of basic understanding of the business.

I do not claim to be an expert but surely am not a complete idiot and I do think you can learn one or two things from my foolishness if you are willingly to learn:

1. In importation business, you don't make money when you sell you do when you buy
2. It is obvious you don't do your due diligence before buying stuff from china because if you do, you will not end up buying stuff from china at a price more expensive than Lagos.
3. You basically from your post buy on impulse which is VERY BAD for any business especially when you are into importation business. Your consumer are suppose to buy from you on impulse not the other way round.
4. Stop buying generic goods at expensive price from china.
5. The infact that someone brainwashed you into believing that goods are cheap on 1688.com and Taobao doesn't mean the person is 100% accurate. Believe me when I say you can get some stuff cheaper on Aliexpress than 1688.com
6. Sir, except you are a contractor who buy stuffs for other to resell, you should NEVER EVER use EXPRESS shipping for goods you intend to resell. As a good business person, your aim should always be to reduce your cost of doing business not increase it.
7. If you do your homework very well cheaper doesn't necessary mean better quality in China. Except you import sub-standard goods from china you need not worry about the Lagos price if you have a product with superior quality. Before you say anything, I have sold hundreds of selfie stick nationwide at 7.5k each when other people selling at 1.2k are yet to sell 50 pcs. Quality beat price anyday anytime.
8. Before you buy anything from china please go to your source market in Lagos first thereby saving yourself unnecessary headache. If it is cheaper in Lagos with the same quality like the one you are buying from china, please do yourself a favour, Buy it in Lagos.

Thanks

................................................?
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by muhammed001(m): 1:22pm On Dec 30, 2015
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by muhammed001(m): 2:51am On Jan 01, 2016
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by acorntree(m): 8:52am On Jan 01, 2016
ive also being wondering how people make profit with the mini importation business.Not all products are cheaper to sell here. You have to do your homework very well. For you to make enough profit in this mini importation business you have to order large quantity of what ever you are buying and need to negotiate the price with the seller very well. note you have to be selective in what you order. for me I only order electronics components in bulk with free shipping and its cheaper than buying in Lagos. I've tried other tangible goods like electronics before but its always loses upon loses. if one is not careful one will just be working for the bank(with high exchange rate), the seller and alibaba.

2 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by stanvesco(m): 1:26pm On Jan 01, 2016
muhammed001:

I have already resigned since, I just want the newbie to aware so that they will not just waste their time on this mini importation biz because it really! really!! really!!! Sucks and there is no big deal there at all.

Info marketers just need food on their table by all means.

May GOD help us in the hands of these info marketers.
#smiles#
imagine if every1 could import; smile again; then who wud b d buyers...

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by muhammed001(m): 7:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by 1surdman: 8:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
Lagos? Dnt try it
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Maximillian1: 8:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
Over to my igbo brothers
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by celebgists(m): 8:28pm On Jan 03, 2016
Lol welcome to the Ali express business. But trust me the person you are importing from is selling expensive for u. ask yourself Where the Lagos people get am from cheap like dat? grin
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by erico2k2(m): 8:28pm On Jan 03, 2016
muhammed001:
Hello everyone please I need your advice and encouragement on this mini importation business because i am really facing problems on this importation biz.

What I found out now is that the things I import are always cheaper at lagos

Because my first order was 30 watches and after buying them I found out that they are even cheaper in lagos than importing them because I want to sell them on wholesale price.

My next order was tummy slimming waist trainer for women. When I received the samples I said let me go and look for buyers that will buy it on wholesale before importing them
When I got there I found out that my price is higher than lagos price.
Even the price I bought it is higher than lagos price not to talk of adding profit.

please how can one really make money from this mini importation biz?
I am buying from 1688
Please help me with a solution to this problem or is there anything I am thinking wrong?

The goods are always cheap in china but when you calculate the total cost price of the goods and shipping fee, you will found out that is very expensive when compared to the price of lagos.

Then you will start saying that buying from lagos is even cheaper than buying from china. So now, what is the big deal on importing from china or uk/us when we can even get it cheaper in lagos?

Info marketers will always show you the prices of the goods in china but they will not include the shipping fee.
Sometimes the shipping fee can even multiply the cost of the goods * 4 and above.

Please your contributions are highly welcomed.
Reasons
1 you are importing small quantity
2 U are buying at high street prices
3 you are not placing order at factories for them to produce to your specification
@ #3 I realize the Chinese can do anything you want even brand your product for you. If you want to make it big U gt to physically go to China to these factories in other to brake even.

3 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Vaxt(m): 8:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
coutonu market of life
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by millionboi(m): 8:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
just price/quality difference
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by erico2k2(m): 8:32pm On Jan 03, 2016
acorntree:
ive also being wondering how people make profit with the mini importation business.Not all products are cheaper to sell here. You have to do your homework very well. For you to make enough profit in this mini importation business you have to order large quantity of what ever you are buying and need to negotiate the price with the seller very well. note you have to be selective in what you order. for me I only order electronics components in bulk with free shipping and its cheaper than buying in Lagos. I've tried other tangible goods like electronics before but its always loses upon loses. if one is not careful one will just be working for the bank(with high exchange rate), the seller and alibaba.
U wont brake even ordering small quantities and goods on ground.U guys need to consolidate your orders .
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by flokii: 8:32pm On Jan 03, 2016
@OP if it's for business sake... you can order-in

but if it's personal.. abeg buy here.

I've tried a few and I ended up not satisfied
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by amtaken(f): 8:33pm On Jan 03, 2016
Lagos Importers buy in bulk (most times up to 40" containers that's why they are able to spread the costs and sell at low rates. They import via shipping too.

Importers in Lagos and Onitsha sell at very affordable rate because they want quick turnover.

They also travel by themselves and negotiate with the factories in China villages and other countries so they are able to import the goods at unbelievable cheap rates.

muhammed001:
Hello everyone please I need your advice and encouragement on this mini importation business because i am really facing problems on this importation biz.

What I found out now is that the things I import are always cheaper at lagos

Because my first order was 30 watches and after buying them I found out that they are even cheaper in lagos than importing them because I want to sell them on wholesale price.

My next order was tummy slimming waist trainer for women. When I received the samples I said let me go and look for buyers that will buy it on wholesale before importing them
When I got there I found out that my price is higher than lagos price.
Even the price I bought it is higher than lagos price not to talk of adding profit.

please how can one really make money from this mini importation biz?
I am buying from 1688
Please help me with a solution to this problem or is there anything I am thinking wrong?

The goods are always cheap in china but when you calculate the total cost price of the goods and shipping fee, you will found out that is very expensive when compared to the price of lagos.

Then you will start saying that buying from lagos is even cheaper than buying from china. So now, what is the big deal on importing from china or uk/us when we can even get it cheaper in lagos?

Info marketers will always show you the prices of the goods in china but they will not include the shipping fee.
Sometimes the shipping fee can even multiply the cost of the goods * 4 and above.

Please your contributions are highly welcomed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by greggng: 8:35pm On Jan 03, 2016
It depends on what you wanna import. I have a chinese who I do cargo business with. Must times she assist in buying stuff and shipping of same to nigeria . I handle the clearing and other stuff here. If you want my number I can give u so that we can meet in person and discuss better

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by maishai: 8:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
THE SIMPLE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION OP IS CALLED ECONOMIES OF SCALE.YOU CANNOT EXPECT TO SELL CHEAPER THAN SOMEONE THAT BOUGHT A HUNDRED TIMES MORE THAN YOU DO.
I ALSO THINK YOU FELL PREY TO INFORMATION MARKETERS
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by jmaxjohn(m): 8:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
You're buying from the wrong source, ure buying the wrong goods from china, and ure using the wrong shipping method.
Make better research

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by erico2k2(m): 8:37pm On Jan 03, 2016
MRBrownJ:

if China good is indeed cheaper in Lagos then someone is making a profit by importing it from China (unless you think people in Lagos are selling at a loss?)....so, importing from China IS profitable, you just need to have the right connection.

the problem here is that:
A) there is different types of quality when you buy China goods. so an item could be made in 3 different quality and therefore have 3 different prices. in China there is the CHEAP version, the CHEAPEST version and the GREAT version of any product. so many people can receive a sample of the "great" version, and then be sent the "cheapest" version.

B) if you aint buying from the main factory directly then you will automatically be losing money. anyone who want to make great business in China needs to 1st speak Chinese and 2nd go to China to visit the factory and discuss prices. EVERY price in China needs to be bargained down directly with owners. YES!!! this is Chinese way of doing business, especially with "laowai" (foreigners). so if you are buying goods via some online brokers in Beijing (while the factory is deep within Guangdong province) then you will never make a great bargain because you will always pay middle men (only God knows how many).

C) if you only buy 10pieces of each products (each times) then you certainly wont get the best prices, you need to buy pieces by the thousands before the price can be at the bare minimum.
Great stuff you are the man.but let me.also add.most of these chinease people now speak English.to make same good diffrent you can ask them to brand them in ur name.I dis tjat when I went to their glass factory.

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by menxer: 8:37pm On Jan 03, 2016
iamfroshsylver:
Dear OP to the best knowledge of mine, importing frm china is not profitable. Most of those goods are cheaper in lagos. I have a friend that do import goods from china, the money he uses to clear those goods @ times is more than 2/3rd of the money he uses to buy the goods. As for me I get most of my goods from togo. I will prefer you check togo,though depending on what you are into. Cos @times cloths from lagos are cheaper most especially now that #100 is 435cefa. Depending on what you import anyway! Best of luck!

#100 = 435cefa

Is that so?
Issorite. grin

I thought all imports are done in dollars? grin
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by engrshakespeare: 8:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
MRBrownJ:

if China good is indeed cheaper in Lagos then someone is making a profit by importing it from China (unless you think people in Lagos are selling at a loss?)....so, importing from China IS profitable, you just need to have the right connection.

the problem here is that:
A) there is different types of quality when you buy China goods. so an item could be made in 3 different quality and therefore have 3 different prices. in China there is the CHEAP version, the CHEAPEST version and the GREAT version of any product. so many people can receive a sample of the "great" version, and then be sent the "cheapest" version.

B) if you aint buying from the main factory directly then you will automatically be losing money. anyone who want to make great business in China needs to 1st speak Chinese and 2nd go to China to visit the factory and discuss prices. EVERY price in China needs to be bargained down directly with owners. YES!!! this is Chinese way of doing business, especially with "laowai" (foreigners). so if you are buying goods via some online brokers in Beijing (while the factory is deep within Guangdong province) then you will never make a great bargain because you will always pay middle men (only God knows how many).

C) if you only buy 10pieces of each products (each times) then you certainly wont get the best prices, you need to buy pieces by the thousands before the price can be at the bare minimum.

You are right bro, I concur. Buying from China is cheapest depends on where u buy from and your knowledge of Chinese. If you can go directly and speak with d factory that will be the best. If however u need a Translator contact me, thats what I do

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by byvan03: 8:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
The more the quantity, the cheaper the goods. An item you bought at $ 5.5 per piece can go for 2.5 if you are buying upto a thousand pieces . Those people buy at a very large quantity, so you can't compete with them.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Omotaday(m): 8:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
skentelelady:
As for me I don't pay for shipping and my goods come in thru dhl

I ensure I buy an amount that qualifies for free express shipping by seller

The reason I don't buy in Lagos is because all their items are common due to mass production. When u buy from china, buy what isn't common that when u bring in to sell u can add more money since people will see Ur things being different and unique.
which site do you trade with? Beautiful lady.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by ojnnaco(m): 8:40pm On Jan 03, 2016
You are new and naive in the field of importation .. I just pray that God will give u Brain

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by MoonChildng: 8:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
Haba 24hrs shipping will definately be extremely expensive i buy some items from China but i take my time and mostly buy those with free shipping and yes i usually wait about 60days but in the long run its cheaper for me ,what i ensure is to have enough stock on ground per time .

Plus i dont think you should be trying to compete with Island price ooh else you'll break your back those guys pass businesses down from generation to generation ,they know all the tricks in the books

What you can do is find your own unique market and focus on them not everyone likes going to Eko ,you can target them .
muhammed001:

Thank you for your comment sir.

I normally us 24 hours shipping to lagos.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

New Trend On Forex Indicators: Amazing Forex Strategy / Nigerians Must Begin To Overcome The Fear Of Becoming An Entrepreneur Now!!! / Aminu Dantata: I Am Just Waiting For My Time, I No Longer Enjoy Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.