₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,280,508 members, 4,999,068 topics. Date: Monday, 24 June 2019 at 08:34 PM

Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed (1162 Views)

Redesign Of Forexbyteemy.com / Redesign Of Sign-up Page & Inner Pages Of Www.samebornday.com / Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed by Aaoe: 7:41am On Jun 09, 2009
Hello Guys,
The Palms the biggest Shopping mall in Nigeria, intends to redesign its website.

I have created this board to seek the opinion of professionals on ideas and tips on how to improve and give the best image of Nigeria through the website, while considering its usability as an e-commerce portal. Its URL is http://thepalmsshopping.com/index.php

Please view and tell me what you think.

Re: Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed by Aaoe: 12:15pm On Jun 09, 2009
Any ideas?
Re: Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed by smartsoft(m): 1:28pm On Jun 09, 2009
mail me ! ucheugo@hotmail.com
Re: Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed by Aaoe: 3:38pm On Jun 09, 2009
ok, thanks
Re: Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed by yawatide(f): 5:06pm On Jun 09, 2009
cos of your attitude, which I will attribute to humility, I will chime in my 2 kobo:

1) Google for the top say, 10 malls in the world, visit their sites and get ideas from there

2) Dump the tables, in favor of CSS.  This will reduce page load time.  Don't use inline styles either.

3) Make the site more interactive (maybe games, contests, etc)

4) Reduce the animation speeds, where animations will be employed.

5) Optimize your images so that those with slow connections can get to the site with little or no fuss

6) Code for 1024 resolution to allow for more content (good for marketing).  I recommend 965px myself.

7) Make sure your contact form actually validates (on present site, I entered "dd" for email and it didn't flag an error) and that there is actually someone on the receiving end of it (I recently redesigned a site for a politician who complained that since 2007, he never received a single email from his site.  As it turns out, the email that was referenced on the site WAS NEVER EVEN CREATED TO BEGIN WITH. Now he can't thank me enough for all the emails he is getting smiley)

8 ) You mentioned the site being an ecommerce portal? Unless I read it wrong, I see nothing to hint that it is an ecommerce site.  Perhaps you should consider it.  If I read you wrong, never mind.

9) If you are going to use flash, do not make it as big as this one: http://thepalmsshopping.com/contact.php - it takes up too much real estate and obscures the main purpose of the page, even on a 1024

10) Employ excellent SEO techniques so that the site not only ranks highest among Nigerian competitors but highest among all its competitors.  You never know who might purposely fly in to Lagos just to spend discretionary hard currency, based on what they see wink

11) Last but not least, make sure you are paid accordingly for it.  If you are like me, the more you pay, the more features you add on, making the site better in the long run.  You shouldn't see yourself as the United Nations, doing things, "for the greater good" but as a professional.

Again, it talks courage to solicit for advice, acknowledging that no one knows it all.  I look forward to reviewing the end-product (when will this be?).

Good luck!
Re: Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed by samen: 9:57pm On Jun 09, 2009
Yawa has said it all. I'll like to add.

1. Your side ads to be captivating, apply flash to it.
2. The large flash pics should rather go with Jquery.

good luck
Re: Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed by Aaoe: 7:18am On Jun 10, 2009
@Yawa, thanks for your detailed contribution. The ecommerce portal is what we are driving to, we are converting the website into a portal.

@Samen, thanks. But dont you think the pages will be too busy by "Your side ads to be captivating, apply flash to it."
Re: Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed by samen: 1:50pm On Jun 10, 2009
Sorry I meant "Your side ads should be captivating, apply flash to it"
Re: Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed by yawatide(f): 6:56pm On Jun 10, 2009
Aaoe, no problem

Quick question though: What is the point of making the site a portal? I understand a portal, like say, Yahoo, to be a site defined thus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_portal

I assume here that you want to showcase the mall, including various stores.  If that is the case, this doesn't fit my definition of a portal and subsequently, there is no need going in that direction, IMHO.

I see the mall site as a site I would go to in order to find out what you have to offer, discounts, location, various stores, fun things to do and not where I go to search (as in enter keywords into a search bar or click levels of links down) in order to find information.

Again, my IMHO. Once again, good luck!
Re: Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed by WebMonk(m): 8:01pm On Jun 10, 2009
You could also add a map on how to get to the palms, courtesy of Google Maps. [url=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Palms+Shopping+lagos+Nigeria&vps=1&jsv=162d&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.335236,79.101563&ie=UTF8&latlng=6436237,3451075,15746111924699978872&ei=dgIwSq-bHJWysgbW-bznDA&sig2=dPAYV9DlUxFuR68P3J-l5w&cd=1]Here's the link[/url].

I just got a phone today this was the first added content i saw using Google Maps. It helps for tourists/people who need directions, considering that GPS is slowly becoming mainstream.

That's my contribution. Good luck, and please make us proud.
Re: Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed by yawatide(f): 8:54pm On Jun 10, 2009
Very good suggestion Monk. Why I never thought of this, I will never know cool
Re: Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed by pcguru1(m): 6:55am On Dec 07, 2011
look at the date 2009.
Re: Redesign Of The Palms Website [shoprite]opinions Needed by NET1(m): 9:02pm On Dec 08, 2011
I am actually building a similar site and the replies I've seen here will help me improve the site. I'll tell you guys when I'm done.

.NET

(1) (Reply)

If You Have A Responsive Blog, I'll Create An Android App For Your Blog Free / what is the best Social Media Marketing "PROMOTION" Software that you have used? / How To Earn Million Of Dollars As An Amazon Affiliate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.