Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,710 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha (6942 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu On Top Of His Car Waving At His Supporters In Igweocha, Rivers / Millions Celebrating Kanu Bail In Igweocha, Asaba, Uyo, Calabar, Enugu, Onitsha / Unseen IPOB Protest In Igweocha (portharcourt) Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by coolscott(m): 1:01am On Dec 22, 2015
Some people have deviously and unrepentantly spread false information about Port Harcourt's name.

I know that that these people are not used to researching and love to go with what they believe. In order to settle the matter in a manner that will leave no room for doubts, I have here reference to a verified research work about the claims being made.

Clicking on the link below will reveal that PH was never named anything other than the name Lord Lugard gave it in honour of Lewis Vernon Harcourt the then Secretary of State for the Colonies

Link 1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Harcourt#Etymology

The second link will show how Igbos (Ohafians specifically) started referring to the city as "Ụ́gwụ́ Ọ́chá"

A screenshot of the page you will arrive at when you click on the second link below has also been attached

Link 2) https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=hHTE0UWRdLQC&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq=ohafia+men+building+port+harcourt&source=bl&ots=RtlEh3sotc&sig=UtF0TF-xmqgdPcd83cFM2bR1pOA&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=ohafia%20men%20building%20port%20harcourt&f=false

Reference for link 2 McCall, John Christensen (2000). Dancing histories: heuristic ethnography with the Ohafia Igbo. University of Michigan Press. p. 75. ISBN 0-472-11070-5.

More after the screenshot

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3078957_igbosohafiaandportharcourtmerged2_jpeg4c746cb1f738414074b19966afde6358

Conclusion: Just as the legitimate name of the New York cannot be "Yankee" or "Obodo Oyibo" simply because many in Nigeria refer to it as such (who knows what others refer to it as), and the name of the riverine areas of Rivers and Bayelsa cannot be "mbamini" simply because igbos spitefully call it that way, the reference to Port Harcourt as "Ụ́gwụ́ Ọ́chá" amongst Ohafians and Igbos does not automatically crawl that name into being any authentic naming for the city of Port Harcourt.

Even amongst Igbos, they have not been using that name. I have never heard of the name, Igweocha since I was born and many Igbos will agree too. That reference became naturally extinct. It seems only out of the most current land-grabbing ploy by some Igbos (now focused on Rivers State) that this has been dug up, which is why I found it necessary to provide information that would put the records straight

5 Likes

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Eledan: 3:17am On Dec 22, 2015
This explanation is very sensible
I heard PH referred to Igwe Ocha first time this year by the land grabbers.

3 Likes

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Nobody: 4:05am On Dec 22, 2015
Eledan:
This explanation is very sensible
I heard PH referred to Igwe Ocha first time this year by the land grabbers.

Say oil grabbers jare, which lands do you have? thr oil soaked ones? anumpam
Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Eledan: 4:17am On Dec 22, 2015
SexyKaycee:

Say oil grabbers jare, which lands do you have? thr oil soaked ones? anumpam
Just slowly read the nonsense you wrote again, does it make sense to you?

1 Like

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Ebbunwa(m): 4:22am On Dec 22, 2015
This is from Wikipedia, the link you provided. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by VintageCocktail(m): 5:44am On Dec 22, 2015
The same Wikipedia was acclaimed by your kith as not being reliable, now you are using it as a reference even quoting literatures written in year 2000 to support the naming done more than 80 years ago.
Wiki also has this to say about Port Harcourt.

Etymology Edit

The port was built in 1912, but not given a name until August 1913, when the Governor of Nigeria, Sir Frederick Lugard, named it "Port Harcourt" in honor of Lewis Vernon Harcourt, then the Secretary of State for the Colonies.[12] The Igbo name for the city is Iguocha, a corruption of "Ụ́gwụ́ Ọ́chá".[12]

The port in named after the Harcourt Lewis man while the city is Ugwuocha. Since we are using wiki now, see below.

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 22, 2015
Eledan:

Just slowly read the nonsense you wrote again, does it make sense to you?

It doesnt to you? okay lemme break it down dumbo. Calling the Igbo Land Grabbers is a stupid statement, do not hide behind euphemisms why not come out straight and say what you want. Say we want your oil because your land itself isnt worth the mb i used to type this
Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Eledan: 9:16am On Dec 22, 2015
SexyKaycee:

[s]It doesnt to you? okay lemme break it down dumbo. Calling the Igbo Land Grabbers is a stupid statement, do not hide behind euphemisms why not come out straight and say what you want. Say we want your oil because your land itself isnt worth the mb i used to type this[/s]
Shut up and stop mentioning my moniker in silly and childish comments like this.
Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Nobody: 9:28am On Dec 22, 2015
In a bit to do there regular lip service on Biafra matters the op is trying to tell us territorial called portharcourt had no native names before the lugadian's came. Hypocrites.

2 Likes

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:04am On Dec 22, 2015
First and foremost learn how to use the phrase "some igbos" in your write up.
Now to the topic proper. It might be have been Igwe ocha or ugwu ocha, we can never tell. The area had a name before the coming of the white man and ugwu ocha certainly is not that name as it relates to the white man.... Whoever has a link to the original name we will like to know thanks.

1 Like

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by ROYALD(m): 10:36am On Dec 22, 2015
[center][center][center]Please man tell us the Native Name of Port Harcourt if you know one if not shut up

The native name of Port Harcourt is (Igbo: Ụ́gwụ́ Ọ́chá Indisputable Facts That Everyone Knows Are True.

Port Harcourt
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the Nigerian city. For other uses, see Port Harcourt (disambiguation).
"Diobu" redirects here. For the neighbourhood, see Diobu, Port Harcourt.
Port Harcourt
Ụ́gwụ́ Ọ́chá
City
City of Port Harcourt
Top: A street scene in Port Harcourt Middle: Port Harcourt International Airport, The City Center Bottom: Government House, Port Harcourt
Top: A street scene in Port Harcourt
Middle: Port Harcourt International Airport, The City Center
Bottom: Government House, Port Harcourt
Nickname(s): Pitakwa, P.H,[1] Garden City[2][3]
Port Harcourt is located in Nigeria
Port Harcourt
Port Harcourt
Map of Nigeria showing the location of Port Harcourt in Nigeria.
Coordinates: 4.75°N 7.00°ECoordinates: 4.75°N 7.00°E
Country Nigeria
State Rivers
LGAs Port Harcourt, Eleme Ikwerre, Obio-Akpor, Ogu–Bolo, Okrika, Oyigbo, Tai.
Incorporated in 1913[3]
Named for Lewis Vernon Harcourt
Government
• Type Mayor–Council
• Body Port Harcourt City Council
• Mayor Chimbiko Iche Akarolo[4]
Area (1980s)[5]
• City 360 km2 (140 sq mi)
Population (2006)[6]
• Urban 1,382,592
• Metro 1,947,000
[Note 1][Note 2]
Demonym(s) Harcourtian[7]
Time zone WAT (UTC+1)
Postcode 500...[8]
Area code(s) 084[9][/center]

Port Harcourt (Igbo: Ụ́gwụ́ Ọ́chá;[10][11][12] Pidgin: Po-ta-kot[3][Note 3]) is the capital of Rivers State, Nigeria. It lies along the Bonny River and is located in the Niger Delta. According to the 2006 census, the Port Harcourt urban area has a population of 1,382,592.[7]

The area that became Port Harcourt in 1912 was before that part of the farmlands of the Diobu village group of the Ikwerre, an Igbo sub-group.[13] The colonial administration of Nigeria created the port to export coal from the collieries of Enugu located 243 kilometres (151 mi) north of Port Harcourt,[14] to which it was linked by a railway called the Eastern Line, also built by the British.[2][14][15]

In 1956 crude oil was discovered in commercial quantities at Oloibiri, and Port Harcourt's economy turned to petroleum when the first shipment of Nigerian crude oil was exported through the city in 1958. Through the benefits of the Nigerian petroleum industry, Port Harcourt was further developed, with aspects of modernisation such as overpasses and city blocks.[3] Oil firms that currently have offices in the city include Royal Dutch Shell and Chevron.[16]

The main educational establishment in the city is the University of Port Harcourt, and the current Mayor of Port Harcourt is Chimbiko Akorolo. Port Harcourt's primary airport is Port Harcourt International Airport, located on the outskirts of the city; the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) base is the location of the only other airport in the city and is used by commercial airlines Aero Contractors and Virgin Nigeria (now Air Nigeria) for domestic flights.[17][/center][/center]
Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by ROYALD(m): 10:45am On Dec 22, 2015
Proudlyngwa:
First and foremost learn how to use the phrase "some igbos" in your write up.
Now to the topic proper. It might be have been Igwe ocha or ugwu ocha, we can never tell. The area had a name before the coming of the white man and ugwu ocha certainly is not that name as it relates to the white man.... Whoever has a link to the original name we will like to know thanks.

ugwu ocha certainly doe not mean white man hill or related to white man .But it could mean the environment of the Hill
Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:42pm On Dec 22, 2015
ROYALD:

ugwu ocha certainly doe not mean white man hill or related to white man .But it could mean the environment of the Hill

The name of my LGA is ugwunabo and legend has it that it was named after two strangers from the hills who settled there. Ugwu ocha could have meant anything. One thing am sure is that ugwu ocha or port Harcourt was not a name before the advent of the European. Don't forget that what we have today as port Harcourt was not port Harcourt some years ago.
Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Abagworo(m): 1:50pm On Dec 22, 2015
Its Igwu ocha or Igu Ocha which is an Ikwerre phrase for white hill. Ohafia people might have their version.

1 Like

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 22, 2015
Eledan:

Shut up and stop mentioning my moniker in silly and childish comments like this.

Hohoho, who mentioned me just now? onye mmbamiri mo owu onye ofe mmanu
Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by igwe123: 3:34pm On Dec 22, 2015
hahah. fo.oolish OP. No part of Africa is without a name before the whites came. i was expecting u to tell us its original was one non igbo sounding name, only for u to say it had no name except what lugard called to to honor Harcourt. Is it also igbos from Anambra, and Abia that forced parents to give their children Igbo names in PH up till today?? or to speak igbo dialect

4 Likes

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Lordave: 3:46pm On Dec 22, 2015
What a shittty revelation!

1 Like

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 4:06pm On Dec 22, 2015
Proudlyngwa:

The name of my LGA is ugwunabo and legend has it that it was named after two strangers from the hills who settled there. Ugwu ocha could have meant anything. One thing am sure is that ugwu ocha or port Harcourt was not a name before the advent of the European. Don't forget that what we have today as port Harcourt was not port Harcourt some years ago.

Iisi li bu onye obe ole?

Ugwu la Agbor are two people who formed Ugwun'agbor and has nothing to do with whiteman and moreover Ugwuocha is the name of portharcourt as called by our elders.

Go around and ask any 80 years old man around what name they call portharcourt before world war.

2 Likes

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Proudlyngwa(m): 4:32pm On Dec 22, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

Iisi li bu onye obe ole?

Ugwu la Agbor are two people who formed Ugwun'agbor and has nothing to do with whiteman and moreover Ugwuocha is the name of portharcourt as called by our elders.

Go around and ask any 80 years old man around what name they call portharcourt before world war.

Ugwunabo was named after two strangers from the hills who settled there, they didn't form the area.
The white men where in ugwu ocha before the first world War

1 Like

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by ROYALD(m): 5:17pm On Dec 22, 2015
Proudlyngwa:

In my LGA there is a place we call Ama ocha ,listen the reason is because the place has mud sound like red example on the pic

ugwu ocha according to Wikipedia is the native name

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by ROYALD(m): 5:20pm On Dec 22, 2015
Proudlyngwa:

Ugwunabo was named after two strangers from the hills who settled there, they didn't form the area.

Man u do not know what you are saying Ugwu nabo means two hill if the
Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by igwe123: 5:55pm On Dec 22, 2015
Proudlyngwa:

Ugwunabo = two hills. Not two strangers from the hill

2 Likes

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Proudlyngwa(m): 6:21pm On Dec 22, 2015
igwe123:

There are no two hills in Ugwunagbor wink it's actually a named after where two strangers from the hills settled according to my late granddad.

1 Like

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Proudlyngwa(m): 6:26pm On Dec 22, 2015
ROYALD:

In my LGA there is a place we call Ama ocha ,listen the reason is because the place has mud sound like red example on the pic

ugwu ocha according to Wikipedia is the native name

u might be be right but the area we know as portharcourt of then is not port Harcourt now, once upon a time rumudara and rumokoro might not have qualified as phc. where exactly was Igwe ocha

2 Likes

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Proudlyngwa(m): 6:31pm On Dec 22, 2015
igwe123:

smiley Ugwunabo short for nde Ugwunabo
Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Heartbender: 12:53pm On Nov 01, 2018
God bless you
coolscott:
[size=13pt]Some people have deviously and unrepentantly spread false information about Port Harcourt's name.

I know that that these people are not used to researching and love to go with what they believe. In order to settle the matter in a manner that will leave no room for doubts, I have here reference to a verified research work about the claims being made.

Clicking on the link below will reveal that PH was never named anything other than the name of the Lord Lugard gave it in honour of Lewis Vernon Harcourt the then Secretary of State for the Colonies

Link 1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Harcourt#Etymology

The second link will show how Igbos (Ohafians specifically) started referring to the city as "Ụ́gwụ́ Ọ́chá"

A screenshot of the page you will arrive at when you click on the second link below has also been attached[/size]

[size=13pt] Link 2) https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=hHTE0UWRdLQC&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq=ohafia+men+building+port+harcourt&source=bl&ots=RtlEh3sotc&sig=UtF0TF-xmqgdPcd83cFM2bR1pOA&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=ohafia%20men%20building%20port%20harcourt&f=false
[/size]

[size=13pt]Reference for link 2[/size] [size=13pt]McCall, John Christensen (2000). Dancing histories: heuristic ethnography with the Ohafia Igbo. University of Michigan Press. p. 75. ISBN 0-472-11070-5.[/size]

[size=17pt]More after the screenshot[/size]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3078957_igbosohafiaandportharcourtmerged2_jpeg4c746cb1f738414074b19966afde6358

[size=13pt] Conclusion: Just as the legitimate name of the New York cannot be "Yankee" or "Obodo Oyibo" simply because many in Nigeria refer to it as such (who knows what others refer to it as), and the name of the riverine areas of Rivers and Bayelsa cannot be "mbamini" simply because igbos spitefully call it that way, the reference to Port Harcourt as "Ụ́gwụ́ Ọ́chá" amongst Ohafians and Igbos does not automatically crawl that name into being any authentic naming for the city of Port Harcourt.

Even amongst Igbos, they have not been using that name. I have never heard of the name, Igweocha since I was born and many Igbos will agree too. That reference became naturally extinct. It seems only out of the most current land-grabbing ploy by some Igbos (now focused on Rivers State) that this has been dug up, which is why I found it necessary to provide information that would put the records straight[/size]
Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by thatigboman: 1:05pm On Nov 01, 2018
Demburrows:
In a bit to do there regular lip service on Biafra matters the op is trying to tell us territorial called portharcourt had no native names before the lugadian's came. Hypocrites.
that one surprise me o. Badly
Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by thatigboman: 1:08pm On Nov 01, 2018
ROYALD:

ugwuocha will certainly mean "white hill", just like Enugu was Enugwu "hill top" and Oguta was "Ugwunta" meaning small "small hill". So has nothing to do with white man
Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 01, 2018
coolscott:
[size=13pt][s]Some people have deviously and unrepentantly spread false information about Port Harcourt's name.

Clicking on the link below will reveal that PH was never named anything other than the name of the Lord Lugard gave it in honour of Lewis Vernon Harcourt the then Secretary of State for the Colonies

A screenshot of the page you will arrive at when you click on the second link below has also been attached[/size]

[size=13pt] Link 2) https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=hHTE0UWRdLQC&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq=ohafia+men+building+port+harcourt&source=bl&ots=RtlEh3sotc&sig=UtF0TF-xmqgdPcd83cFM2bR1pOA&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=ohafia%20men%20building%20port%20harcourt&f=false
[/size]

[size=13pt]Reference for link 2[/size] [size=13pt]McCall, John Christensen (2000). Dancing histories: heuristic ethnography with the Ohafia Igbo. University of Michigan Press. p. 75. ISBN 0-472-11070-5.[/size]

[size=17pt]More after the screenshot[/size]

[size=13pt] Conclusion: Just as the legitimate name of the New York cannot be "Yankee" or "Obodo Oyibo" simply because many in Nigeria refer to it as such (who knows what others refer to it as), and the name of the riverine areas of Rivers and Bayelsa cannot be "mbamini" simply because igbos spitefully call it that way, the reference to Port Harcourt as "Ụ́gwụ́ Ọ́chá" amongst Ohafians and Igbos does not automatically crawl that name into being any authentic naming for the city of Port Harcourt.

Even amongst Igbos, they have not been using that name. I have never heard of the name, Igweocha since I was born and many Igbos will agree too. That reference became naturally extinct. It seems only out of the most current land-grabbing ploy by some Igbos (now focused on Rivers State) that this has been dug up, which is why I found it necessary to provide information that would put the records straight[/s][/size]

Afonja at it this afternoon. This afonja went as far as editing Wikipedia to suite his evil and deception. That was how they edited Lyol Imoke, former Igbo governor of Cross River, to hide his Igbo root. Why are you people like this afonja? Why why why? Jesus christ! I have never seen a people like these in life...just naturally wicked and evil!

2 Likes

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by PFRB: 1:41pm On Nov 01, 2018
The Ikweres call PH " Igwe Ocha" If a man from Elekahia, Elelenwa ,Rumuola, Rumuokwuruishie want to call Port Harcourt he will call it Igwe Ocha. You know that PH is owned by the Ikwere people. The reason for that name is that in those days, that area was covere by white sand.

1 Like

Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by babacletus: 2:02pm On Nov 01, 2018
The place known as Port Harcourt today was originally formed from land purchased from the Okrika and Ikwerre people, present day ph has outgrown this original areas, it will be wrong to call Ph, Iguocha which is the name Ikwerre call their part of the land, ipob in a means to landgrab the most viable city in Nigeria after Lagos call ph and sometimes the entire Rivers State igweocha
Re: Revealed! The Origins Of The Name, Igweocha by dreamwords: 6:49pm On Nov 01, 2018
babacletus:
The place known as Port Harcourt today was originally formed from land purchased from the Okrika and Ikwerre people, present day ph has outgrown this original areas, it will be wrong to call Ph, Iguocha which is the name Ikwerre call their part of the land, ipob in a means to landgrab the most viable city in Nigeria after Lagos call ph and sometimes the entire Rivers State igweocha
you are a matd man, ph igweocha has been part of owerri provice, belongs owerri go and read history and stop spreading false information

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Brave Man went straight to Aso Rock;Checkout what he did when he was stopped / Dapo Okubadejo: Ogun State Paid ₦20 Billion Out Of its Debt In 2020 / Kogi: AAC Deputy Governorship Candidate, Bamidele Makes U-Turn, Joins Ododo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.