Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,720 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:55 PM

Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 (59459 Views)

A Message To Nigerians Abroad / Nigeria Immigration Receives 50,000 Passport Booklets, Task Force Sent To Lagos / Which Is Cheaper First Bank, Diamond Bank, Gtb Debit Card For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by 989900: 6:28pm On Dec 23, 2015
omonnakoda:
Well oil @ 2.2 million barrels a dayX 365 X $40( a barrel) = $32 billion

minus expenses and partners share . . . somethings are just not right with Nigeria (if we are receiving this much forex via remittances, minus the raw forex being brought in personally, how do you convince me oil prices is almost solely responsible for the Naira's woes?).
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by omonnakoda: 6:32pm On Dec 23, 2015
989900:

minus expenses and partners share . . . somethings are just not right with Nigeria (if we are receiving this much forex via remittances, minus the raw forex being brought in personally, how do you convince me oil prices is almost solely responsible for the Naira's woes?).

Expenses and partners share are not relevant in this context I already answered that and indeed touched on that in a different context only yesterday.In that context it was relevant ie The government accounts. In this context it is not.
The remittances are not being remitted to government but into the economy ditto for the oil revenue.
omonnakoda:

Based on 2million barrels a day @ $38 X365 X($1: 300 naira)

Then oil revenue for the entire nation = $27,74 billion.

Now it would be nice IF we got all that $28 billion but life is never that simple. Oil is a business and it costs a lot of money to bring it out of the ground ,to find it in the First place and then to pay salaries and all those other benefits and pensions oil worker get so how much of that $28 billion is Profit? and how much of that Profit goes to the oil companies? Nigeria will be very lucky to see $20 billion of that money which I very much doubt. Of that $20 billion the FG will get 52% and has CASH CALL obligations to the oil business which they consistently fail to meet .Those who know the industry know what I am talking about.

So we are talking about Nigeria a $500 billion economy and we can see the contribution of oil to that, FACTS AND FIGURES do not lie we need to fully put the contribution of oil into perspective

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Bollinger(m): 6:35pm On Dec 23, 2015
fittty:
grin

Yes ooooo.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by sergiolefty(m): 6:37pm On Dec 23, 2015
fully noted
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by biafranqueen: 6:40pm On Dec 23, 2015
Toeyoursea:
I doubt if it will change anytime soon. For example, the bank rate at GTB is 199 as i speak and 259 shocked in the parallel market

Really which Alhaji give you 259 my own was over 280

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 6:43pm On Dec 23, 2015
Activa:
Where are the people saying they will shut down Nigeria by going to the creeks?

Remittances even give us more forex than oil.
Try and understand remittance means the likes of me sending my parents money for to sort their lives out.the govt gains nothing from money people in diaspora send home to their love ones not even tax.so what's ur point?na by force to comment??
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Nobody: 6:45pm On Dec 23, 2015
omonnakoda:
I have already answered that please try and understand it is not a complex matter. This is not about accounts but GDP they are different issues entirely. One is about a profit and Loss account while the other is economic output. This is Economics/Financial accounting 101. Those people remitting money to Nigeria have costs as well and money is for ever flowing . This issue is about Net economic output not the government accounts

We're talking about forex inflow into Nigeria.
Leave the issue of costs out of it for now.

Let's talk about gross. What you calculated does not accrue to Nigeria. Yes or no?

And stop sounding so smug.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 6:46pm On Dec 23, 2015
Ishopbest:
If remittance is this high, why the complain about our forex bla bla
Remittance are pained din Naira so no forex.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 23, 2015
erico2k2:

Try and understand remittance means the likes of me sending my parents money for to sort their lives out.the govt gains nothing from money people in diaspora send home to their love ones not even tax.so what's ur point?na by force to comment??

The govt gains nothing from remittance? shocked

Yet you were defining remittance. Stop exposing your ignorance.

What i said was in terms of forex supply to the country.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 6:48pm On Dec 23, 2015
espionagesavvy:
Nobody don send me anything. All these my wicked uncle abroad, send me my own share of foreign remittances..
MayB they wire directly to their accounts
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 6:50pm On Dec 23, 2015
ifdaeg:
Liers. the money our politicians are remitting into their foreign accounts and spending on holidays abroad nobody is writing abouti
it. the world is a global village with enormous biz transactions taking place especialy as it concerns africa and their craze for flamboyant celebration.
U think people still carry money to lodge abroad?? Wake up its nearly 2016.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 6:55pm On Dec 23, 2015
Activa:

The govt gains nothing from remittance? shocked

Yet you were defining remittance. Stop exposing your ignorance.

What i said was in terms of forex supply to the country.

Stop exposing ur ignorance tell me how the govt gains wen I go to the money transfer agent in my high street to send £1000.?The agent charges me £30 as transfer fees.I fill in my first bank account t details and the money is in my Nigerian first bank account in 10 mins at rate of 370.that's what I did today.I remitted £1000. From my high street in the UK to my first bank account. Do U understand now
Don't jump into conclusion when U got no clue of the subet ask question

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by ashade123: 6:58pm On Dec 23, 2015
In Jesus name we pray ! Amen Amen Amen Fire !
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by 989900: 7:02pm On Dec 23, 2015
omonnakoda:
Expenses and partners share are not relevant in this context I already answered that and indeed touched on that in a different context only yesterday.In that context it was relevant ie The government accounts. In this context it is not.
The remittances are not being remitted to government but into the economy ditto for the oil revenue.

Well, it will depend on when deductions are made.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by omonnakoda: 7:03pm On Dec 23, 2015
Activa:

We're talking about forex inflow into Nigeria.
Leave the issue of costs out of it for now.

Let's talk about gross. What you calculated does not accrue to Nigeria. Yes or no?

And stop sounding so smug.

Who is sounding smug here. I do not remember quoting you.You quoted me to "correct" me and now refuse to take correction.
I know what I was talking about before you quoted me so it is not for you to tell me what "WE" are talking about.
My point was about the comparative contribution of the oil industry versus remittances to the NIGERIAN ECONOMY. The entire receipts from oil are reckoned as part of the Nigerian GDP otherwise you would be suggesting that these remittances from the US and the UK which no doubt are reckoned as part of those two economies are computed as part of Nigeria's economic output. They are not because from the Economic OUTPUT perspective they are not part of Nigerian productivity they are CASHFLOWS just like stolen money ending up in Swiss banks. The comparison then was on the one hand the contribution of a cash inflow versus economic output .
I am sorry I cannot spend my time educating you on this and if that irks you as smugness too bad! life is not a cuddly bubble
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by omonnakoda: 7:08pm On Dec 23, 2015
989900:

Well, it will depend on when deductions are made.
Sorry sir you are focussing on Account whilst my point was about GDP they are different issues . When $800 miilion Abacha money ends up in Swiss banks it is still part of NIGERIAN GDP
Those remittances which enter Nigeria are still part of UK and US GDP . That was my point this is nothing to do with accounting but ECONOMIC OUTPUT. Might I respectfully suggest you Google the phrase
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by omonnakoda: 7:10pm On Dec 23, 2015
erico2k2:

Not correct. How many people from your street have relatives abroad? My street has 11 yard 7 of these yards ha e people abroad

What is a yard
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by ADEYIMIKADAVIDS: 7:12pm On Dec 23, 2015
Good thinking
Tolexander:
E be like say na the Yahoo guys increase our rank.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Orikinla(m): 7:22pm On Dec 23, 2015
When you shake body for God, God go shake body for you. And when God shake body for you, na double and even multiple portions of good things go drop for you. So, you better shake body for God.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Sgwash: 7:25pm On Dec 23, 2015
Activa:
Where are the people saying they will shut down Nigeria by going to the creeks?

Remittances even give us more forex than oil.
shebi u can see How shallow ur reasoning can be?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by 989900: 7:38pm On Dec 23, 2015
omonnakoda:
Sorry sir you are focussing on Account whilst my point was about GDP they are different issues . When $800 miilion Abacha money ends up in Swiss banks it is still part of NIGERIAN GDP
Those remittances which enter Nigeria are still part of UK and US GDP . That was my point this is nothing to do with accounting but ECONOMIC OUTPUT. Might I respectfully suggest you Google the phrase

Oh, we are looking at totally different aspects of it then.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Toosure70: 7:39pm On Dec 23, 2015
Total please
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by chibuike65: 7:46pm On Dec 23, 2015
[quote author=Activa post=41279507]Where are the people saying they will shut down Nigeria by going to the creeks?

Remittances even give us more forex than oil. You need sens because you lack sens olodo
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Nobody: 7:47pm On Dec 23, 2015
erico2k2:

Stop exposing ur ignorance tell me how the govt gains wen I go to the money transfer agent in my high street to send £1000.?The agent charges me £30 as transfer fees.I fill in my first bank account t details and the money is in my Nigerian first bank account in 10 mins at rate of 370.that's what I did today.I remitted £1000. From my high street in the UK to my first bank account. Do U understand now
Don't jump into conclusion when U got no clue of the subet ask question

You're slow. Do Nigerian companies that charge on transfers pay taxes or not?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Nobody: 7:48pm On Dec 23, 2015
[quote author=chibuike65 post=41282145][/quote]

You're the greatest fool ever liveth.

How much forex do you get from oil?

Prove me wrong or shut your dirty trap forever.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 23, 2015
Sgwash:

shebi u can see How shallow ur reasoning can be?

You're totally clueless and bereft of sense. You foolishly jumped into a discussion without adding any value. Get lost.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by ronald4lif(m): 7:57pm On Dec 23, 2015
Babprosper20:
whr d money dem enter? yahoo boys

Ignorance is never an excuse to be psychedelic. Your seemingly lack of exposure and retrogressive mentality shouldn't also be a pretext for your outright display of profound foolhardiness, insanity and imbecility.

While I understand the fact that the incessant hardship and callous rape of our common patrimony by Nigerian leaders might have affected your mental proficiency and misled you into erroneously assuming that every Nigerian abroad is into sharp practices but I do however, on behalf of all hard working diaspora Nigerians, take an exception from this brazen unwarranted attack on us and implore you to think before making a nuisance of yourself in public fora. Chump.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by vislabraye(m): 7:58pm On Dec 23, 2015
With the measures Buhari has placed, Nigerians may not enjoy such remittance.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by omonnakoda: 8:01pm On Dec 23, 2015
What measures are these?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by jakmankind(m): 8:03pm On Dec 23, 2015
TedBaker:
Na evrytin una get d statistis for. Nawa ooo. Una no go kill pesin f dis nairaland oo
abi ooo jare wetin concerns dem about it is that they are not happy to send money back home just make it and spent or invest it there which can never work

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Maiduguri Lockdown In Pictures / 10 Facts About Nnewi The Nigerian Village With The Most Billionaires / Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.