Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 (59461 Views)

A Message To Nigerians Abroad / Nigeria Immigration Receives 50,000 Passport Booklets, Task Force Sent To Lagos / Which Is Cheaper First Bank, Diamond Bank, Gtb Debit Card For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Mintek: 8:04pm On Dec 23, 2015
Activa:
Where are the people saying they will shut down Nigeria by going to the creeks?

Remittances even give us more forex than oil.

...except that such remittances ain't shared to states for payment of salaries and execution of developmental projects like we do to the proceeds from the Niger Delta oil.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by chibuike65: 8:05pm On Dec 23, 2015
tongue
Activa:

You're the greatest fool ever liveth.

How much forex do you get from oil?

Prove me wrong or shut your dirty trap forever.
lol you sabi book like this still baba no give you any post grin
Activa:

You're the greatest fool ever liveth.

How much forex do you get from oil?

Prove me wrong or shut your dirty trap forever.
lol you sabi book like this still baba no give you any post
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Babprosper20(m): 8:06pm On Dec 23, 2015
ronald4lif:

Ignorance is never an excuse to be psychedelic. Your seemingly lack of exposure and retrogressive mentality shouldn't also be a pretext for your outright display of profound foolhardiness, insanity and imbecility.

While I understand the fact that the incessant hardship and callous rape of our common patrimony by Nigerian leaders might have affected your mental proficiency and misled you into erroneously assuming that every Nigerian abroad is into sharp practices but I do however, on behalf of all hard working diaspora Nigerians, take an exception from this brazen unwarranted attack on us and implore you to think before making a nuisance of yourself in public fora. Chump.

***lets clap for him, kpa kpa pa kpa pa...***

You spoilt your defence by being abusive...

I don't wanna be the one playing a drum for the lunat!c to dance...KPELE

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 23, 2015
chibuike65:
:Plol you sabi book like this still baba no give you any post ;Dlol you sabi book like this still baba no give you any post

You're a good for nothing time-waster.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 8:12pm On Dec 23, 2015
ronald4lif:

Ignorance is never an excuse to be psychedelic. Your seemingly lack of exposure and retrogressive mentality shouldn't also be a pretext for your outright display of profound foolhardiness, insanity and imbecility.

While I understand the fact that the incessant hardship and callous rape of our common patrimony by Nigerian leaders might have affected your mental proficiency and misled you into erroneously assuming that every Nigerian abroad is into sharp practices but I do however, on behalf of all hard working diaspora Nigerians, take an exception from this brazen unwarranted attack on us and implore you to think before making a nuisance of yourself in public fora. Chump.
Plz bro advise Mr Activa He is embarrassing us Nigerians.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 8:14pm On Dec 23, 2015
Mintek:

...except that such remittances ain't shared to states for payment of salaries and execution of developmental projects like we do to the proceeds from the Niger Delta oil.
Jst a simple question.why would any sane state share in the money people in diaspora send to their loved one's from abroad??
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Mintek: 8:23pm On Dec 23, 2015
erico2k2:

Jst a simple question.why would any sane state share in the money people in diaspora send to their loved one's from abroad??

...and why would any sane person compare such remittances to proceeds from the Niger Delta oil?

Are you sure you read the comment I quoted?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Ojady(m): 8:25pm On Dec 23, 2015
Funny how remittance to Nigeria can spark off an online war...its interesting though. Families, people with relatives abroad, no doubt is a viable alternative hope in a country that offers very little to none. I mean, just this christmas alone, one cannot fully imagine the smiles, those remittances would bring. Not all of us will see living abroad the same way, nonetheless, it will remain a blessing of sorts

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 8:26pm On Dec 23, 2015
Mintek:

...and why would any sane person compare such remittances to proceeds from the Niger Delta oil?
What has that got to do with what I asked? There is no relationship between remittance from abroad nd oil in the Niger Delta.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 8:28pm On Dec 23, 2015
Ojady:
Funny how remittance to Nigeria can spark off an online war...its interesting though. Families, people with relatives abroad, no doubt is a viable alternative hope in a country that offers very little to none. I mean, just this christmas alone, one cannot fully imagine the smiles, those remittances would bring. Not all of us will see living abroad the same way, nonetheless, it will remain a blessing of sorts
Exactly.I have seen people asking their parents to stop work and put them on monthly salaries of £200 mon they.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Mintek: 8:29pm On Dec 23, 2015
erico2k2:

What has that got to do with what I asked? There is no relationship between remittance from abroad nd oil in the Niger Delta.

Bravo!

Then you should educate the person I quoted who said Nigeria earned more FOREX from transfers than the proceeds from crude oil sales.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 8:31pm On Dec 23, 2015
Activa:

Nigerian banks are companies and make money from remittances. No?

What is between your two wide ears is ordinary sawdust. Yet you were defining remittance. Fooooooooooool!
Ahahah nah I know you are beyond help.I think U just realize ur brain is leaking and you are trying so hard to patch it.does anybody get taxed or pay a fee to receive money from abroad? ?NO.stop this kilometre or else your must return ur school fees to ur parents with intrest
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 8:36pm On Dec 23, 2015
Mintek:

Bravo!

Then you should educate the person I quoted who said Nigeria earned more FOREX from transfers than the proceeds from crude oil sales.
Then I know who you are on about.same person I'm trying to educate.he seem to think there is physical forex in remittance. The forex ends at the table of the agent to determine how much U r receiving in ur 9ja bank
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by MrPolitics: 8:38pm On Dec 23, 2015
lewisacid:
What of. D. 1s we snt 2 our pple. Dere

I guess it's so small they deemed it irrelevant to the statistics grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by omonnakoda: 8:43pm On Dec 23, 2015
The issue of remittance is quite simple it adds to the total quantum of supply and mitigates demand of Forex from official sources.The market is unable to discriminate the source .Just like a generator can only carry a certain load when you switch on an electric iron you can see the difference so also wit Forex . One can actually model and calculate what our exchange rate might be without remittances in that regard these remittance are a major bulwark in the current economic situation and government should do what smart governments do in such situations allow people to bring in money,indeed encourage them(especially politicians) and not ask too many questions

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by AreaFada2: 8:47pm On Dec 23, 2015
sonnie10:

Nigerians in US remits the most. What does that tell you?

Tells you there are more Nigerians in USA than elsewhere.

US immigration rules allows more family members to re-unite with a nationalized foreigner.

US also has more space/capacity to absorb more immigrants than most other countries.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 9:12pm On Dec 23, 2015
omonnakoda:
The issue of remittance is quite simple it adds to the total quantum of supply and mitigates demand of Forex from official sources.The market is unable to discriminate the source .Just like a generator can only carry a certain load when you switch on an electric iron you can see the difference so also wit Forex . One can actually model and calculate what our exchange rate might be without remittances in that regard these remittance are a major bulwark in the current economic situation and government should do what smart governments do in such situations allow people to bring in money,indeed encourage them(especially politicians) and not ask too many questions
Have you ever sent money from abroad to Nigeria?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by omonnakoda: 9:12pm On Dec 23, 2015
AreaFada2:

US immigration rules allows more family members to re-unite with a nationalized foreigner.

US also has more space/capacity to absorb more immigrants than most other countries.
Not logical at all it could be that there are more Nigerians there than anywhere else

OR

It is easier to make money in the US (better pay opportunities etc)

OR

Nigerians in the US
are more oriented to sending money home
OR
Nigerians elsewhere have other channels of remittance besides the official one( These figures only capture official remittances)
OR
Money laundering monitoring is lighter in the US
OR
Nigerians elsewhere prefer to send wealth home through shipping i.e hardware and other goods

OR Nigerians elsewhere travel home more frequently and take their funds home personally There are afterall more flights fromEurope to Nigeria and certainly more exports of things like foodstuff and drinks so I do not think we can draw the conclusion that there are more Nigerians in the US

One can draw the opposite conclusion from the airline travel volume. Which countries have the most ?

We need more information before jumping to conclusions
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 9:13pm On Dec 23, 2015
AreaFada2:

I think us in the UK Send more money in value to Nigeria than you guys in the US.reason the pounds is 1.5 US dollars
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by omonnakoda: 9:18pm On Dec 23, 2015
erico2k2:

Have you ever sent money from abroad to Nigeria?
How the hell is that any of your business
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 9:21pm On Dec 23, 2015
omonnakoda:
How the hell is that any of your business
Cos then it will put us in sme page of understanding.I li e and work in the UK I presume yoy live and work in the US??cos I was going g to ask a next question!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by omonnakoda: 9:25pm On Dec 23, 2015
erico2k2:

Cos then it will put us in sme page of understanding.I li e and work in the UK I presume yoy live and work in the US??cos I was going g to ask a next question!
Generally I tend not to be biographical on the internet but you can still ask general questions. My individual situation is nor really relevant
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 9:32pm On Dec 23, 2015
omonnakoda:
Generally I tend not to be biographical on the internet but you can still ask general questions. My individual situation is nor really relevant
Well I assume you live in Nigeria and have never sent money from the west to Nigeria via third party remittance agents.my question will be of no meaning to U.ie won't make sense.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by AreaFada2: 9:34pm On Dec 23, 2015
erico2k2:

I think us in the UK Send more money in value to Nigeria than you guys in the US.reason the pounds is 1.5 US dollars

Lolz
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by omonnakoda: 9:41pm On Dec 23, 2015
erico2k2:

Well I assume you live in Nigeria and have never sent money from the west to Nigeria via third party remittance agents.my question will be of no meaning to U.ie won't make sense.
You don't have anything to say...........
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Doncharis(m): 9:54pm On Dec 23, 2015
Richie0974:
The lower the Naira becomes, the higher the remittance.
law of deminishing returns
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Kennydoc(m): 9:58pm On Dec 23, 2015
Activa:
Where are the people saying they will shut down Nigeria by going to the creeks?

Remittances even give us more forex than oil.

Sorry, the remittances don't enter the coffers of the government. It's money that people send to their loved ones. Most of it are even cashed in Naira these days via Western Union, Moneygram etc.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Doncharis(m): 10:01pm On Dec 23, 2015
Mintek:

Are you sure you read the comment I quoted?
And why? will any sane country depend solely on 'proceeds from Niger-Delta oil'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Maiduguri Lockdown In Pictures / 10 Facts About Nnewi The Nigerian Village With The Most Billionaires / US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.