Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 (59470 Views)

A Message To Nigerians Abroad / Nigeria Immigration Receives 50,000 Passport Booklets, Task Force Sent To Lagos / Which Is Cheaper First Bank, Diamond Bank, Gtb Debit Card For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by macsilver(m): 12:09am On Dec 24, 2015
YahooYahoo boys well done o! This 2016, we go gather chop am mi embarassed
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 12:10am On Dec 24, 2015
omonnakoda:
You don't have anything to say...........
U recon ok let me.ask U.how much does the 3rd party remittance agent charge to send $1000 to ur Nigerian bank and what's the landing rate??
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by omonnakoda: 12:22am On Dec 24, 2015
erico2k2:

U recon ok let me.ask U.how much does the 3rd party remittance agent charge to send $1000 to ur Nigerian bank and what's the landing rate??
What is the difference between a quark and a meson? I am not here to make friends, I have enough. I do not want to know you or your biography. Not interested!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 12:29am On Dec 24, 2015
omonnakoda:
What is the difference between a quark and a meson? I am not here to make friends, I have enough. I do not want to know you or your biography. Not interested!
See what I meant wen I said my question won't make sense to U??yet U said I have nothing to say.if you could answer that question U would have solved the arguments going on here and know the details behind remittance of monies how it is done and how much they charge.I dnt need to make friends here I have more matured friends in the Auto and property sections.there seem to be loads of kids here still earning N100 a mo th thinking they are the G in their hood.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by omonnakoda: 12:33am On Dec 24, 2015
erico2k2:

See what I meant wen I said my question won't make sense to U??yet U said I have nothing to say.if yoy could answer that question U would have sol ed the arguments going on here and know the details behind remittance of monies how it is done and how much they charge.I dnt need to make friends here I have more matured friends in the Auto and property sections.there seem to be loads of kids here still earning N100 a mo th thinking they are the G in their hood.
So why are you asking me stupid questions. What does my personal business have to do with you? Why are you interested in my financial activities ? You are too forward. Stick to the subject matter and do not personalize what does not need to be personalized. Wher does your warrant to personalize the discussion come from. This discussion (thread) does not require personal information and certainly none of my comments justifies such familiarity or personalization so wher do you get off asking me that nonsense? Whatever you earn and what you are is for you and your family I am not interested . I do not discuss personal stuff period!!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 12:39am On Dec 24, 2015
omonnakoda:
So why are you asking me stupid questions. What does my personal business have to do with you? Why are you interested in my financial activities ? You are too forward. Stick to the subject matter and do not personalize what does not need to be personalized. Wher does your warrant to personalize the discussion come from. This discussion (thread) does not require personal information and certainly none of my comments justifies such familiarity or personalization so wher do you get off asking me that nonsense?
Erme how is it personal.all the amount I quoted where guessed I don't expect you to tell me how much you send if you ever did.however I used 1k as a benchmark.
Most people on here actually think we send hard currency home NO we dont we send naira. The Hard currency dies at the hands of your agent abroad end of.so the arguments that Nigerian FG gains from money people abroad send to their family is rubish.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by omonnakoda: 12:48am On Dec 24, 2015
erico2k2:

Erme how is it personal.all the amount I quoted where guessed I don't expect you to tell me how much you send if you ever did.however I used 1k as a benchmark.
Most people on here actually think we send hard currency home NO we dont we send naira. The Hard currency dies at the hands of your agent abroad end of.so the arguments that Nigerian FG gains from money people abroad send to their family is rubish.

Whether I live in Idanre Hills or Kathmandu,Whether I have any money to send anywhere has no bearing to the subject matter I prefer to be opaque and anonymous TOTALLY.

The Nigerian Economy gains

I don't know where any one said Nigerian government gains. How does a government gain? That is a bizarre concept.

The fact is that any inflow of FOREX eases pressure on the exchange rate by boosting supply and preserving Foreign reserves
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Nobody: 1:06am On Dec 24, 2015
U
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Osario: 2:10am On Dec 24, 2015
[quote authorin =TedBaker post=41278036]Na evrytin una get d statistis for. Nawa ooo. Una no go kill pesin f dis nairaland oo[/quote]

We're living in the age of information glut.
Use Google
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by mikolo80: 3:05am On Dec 24, 2015
Donbrig:
This is very encouraging to our nation. But I think the govt should do more to encourage Nigerians abroad to come home and create businesses and jobs for Nigerians, to have more effective impact on our economy. Buhari should hurry up the processes to sack Emefiele, his policies are damaging our economy, and it might take more time and task for his successor to clean up his mess if Emefiele is not sacked with immediate effect.
just imagine if that money was gadad togeda(3 trillion) to build industrial parks.... so sad it's only to pay bills and buy phone and other frivolities. o well...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 9:30am On Dec 24, 2015
omonnakoda:

Whether I live in Idanre Hills or Kathmandu,Whether I have any money to send anywhere has no bearing to the subject matter I prefer to be opaque and anonymous TOTALLY.

I don't know where any one said Nigerian government gains. How does a government gain? That is a bizarre concept.

The fact is that any inflow of FOREX eases pressure on the exchange rate by boosting supply and preserving Foreign reserves

Ok I must have read yoy wrong But Activa says the govt gains.I don't understand where he gets that concept. As for forex these so call agents abroad killed it.the are the reason people do not come back to 9ja on hols with hard currency.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 9:32am On Dec 24, 2015
mikolo80:
just imagine if that money was gadad togeda(3 trillion) to build industrial parks.... so sad it's only to pay bills and buy phone and other frivolities. o well...
Nah I think some people are already doing that. If these guys do not have docs to travel then they are stuck but if they do.they can over see their projects.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Nobody: 11:29am On Dec 24, 2015
omonnakoda:

In addition to the gains in your last paragraph, govt taxes the charges on money transfers.

Paying banks make money thru their own share of sending charges and fx income.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by Nobody: 11:36am On Dec 24, 2015
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by lawbabs: 12:20pm On Dec 24, 2015
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by ugbah007: 1:26pm On Dec 24, 2015
How about the money yahoo boys collected,if it was included,then I think it way pass that amount.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 2:48pm On Dec 24, 2015
ugbah007:
How about the money yahoo boys collected,if it was included,then I think it way pass that amount.
I think it's past that ammount as third party remittance agents.would not disclose their info.these should be info frm direct bank transfer and western union plus money gram.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by mikolo80: 4:55am On Dec 25, 2015
erico2k2:

Nah I think some people are already doing that. If these guys do not have docs to travel then they are stuck but if they do.they can over see their projects.
i'm talking about cooperatives and shareholders not individuals

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 7:24pm On Dec 25, 2015
mikolo80:
i'm talking about cooperatives and shareholders not individuals
Like??
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by londoner: 8:59pm On Dec 25, 2015
ednut1:
no time, at least 40% of that amount was embezzled/misappropriated by their relatives grin. some send money make dem help dem build house cheesy when dey come back dem no go even see land

Exactly. Those in the diaspora need to organise ourselves so that remitted money actually goes into something concrete. We need to direct how that hard earned money is spent at home.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by erico2k2(m): 11:03pm On Dec 25, 2015
londoner:

Exactly. Those in the diaspora need to organise ourselves so that remitted money actually goes into something concrete. We need to direct how that hard earned money is spent at home.
My guy I like facing reality. Most people who fall victims to these relatives are this without Docs.these days it's easier to wire money straight to your Bank in Nigeria than to boil egg.won't it be nice to send your money to your own account and do your thing when you have the two weeks holiday??
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by londoner: 6:35pm On Dec 26, 2015
erico2k2:

My guy I like facing reality. Most people who fall victims to these relatives are this without Docs.these days it's easier to wire money straight to your Bank in Nigeria than to boil egg.won't it be nice to send your money to your own account and do your thing when you have the two weeks holiday??

I was talking about the many fake stories concocted by those in Nigeria just to drag money out of those abroad. I don't know anyone who does not send money 'home' even with their papers in tact.These are the same people who complain their villages etc look exactly the same as 20 years ago. A lot of the money being sent is for the most part being wasted on fake exam fees and fantasy hospital bills.

Those sending money need to instead organise a fund to actually steward the money to tangible development they would like to see.

The current setup is like pouring water in a bottomless pit.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by londoner: 6:37pm On Dec 26, 2015
erico2k2:

I've just returned from Nigeria, trust me no one holds my money except me. I agree you can even send money to your bank account which is better and bypasses the thieving temptation of some relatives.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by janykute: 11:48pm On Dec 26, 2015
Toeyoursea:
grin

90% of monies brought home by Nigerians in diaspora are sent in physical cash (parallel market exchange )
Fact.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 by mikolo80: 12:23am On Dec 27, 2015
erico2k2:

Like??
as opposed to ppl sending a few hundreds at a time through western union. it's like a broom having more utility than individual broomsticks. so diasporans form association (cooperative or corporation) and invest taking advantage of economies of scale.bulk money can overcome certain infrastructural hurdles easier than solo money

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Maiduguri Lockdown In Pictures / US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview / 10 Facts About Nnewi The Nigerian Village With The Most Billionaires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.